PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Halloween Midweek Linville Hang Oct 26-30

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

slowhike
08-13-2009, 21:46
Lets see if we can pull off a mid-week trip to Linville Gorge, NC!!!
How many think they can make it?

If nothing major happens, I should be able to drive out to the gorge after work Tue, Oct. 27 & hike in, & hike out Thurs, Oct 29.
Some may want to go earlier & leave later in the week.

Hopefully Shug will be joining us. All are welcome.

wfuballer21
08-13-2009, 23:07
Got it written down in the calendar. Fingers crossed, I should be able to make it.

Ken
08-14-2009, 06:47
I plan to be there too Tim.

Ken

Hawk-eye
08-14-2009, 08:25
Well I definitely want to be in on this ... unless I have to go out of country during those dates ... but looks good right now.

NCPatrick
08-14-2009, 09:50
Wish I could make it, but I'll be at Disney in Orlando. Mickey and Minnie will be happy to see me that week. Hate it that I'll most likely miss meeting Shug (and the rest of y'all that I haven't met yet).

On a related note, I wonder which Disney character Shug would be, if he were a Disney character?

Shug
08-14-2009, 10:13
Wish I could make it, but I'll be at Disney in Orlando. Mickey and Minnie will be happy to see me that week. Hate it that I'll most likely miss meeting Shug (and the rest of y'all that I haven't met yet).

On a related note, I wonder which Disney character Shug would be, if he were a Disney character?
Tigger! But would really like to be Capt'n Hook.
I am working to be there for this Linville hang. Got my high school backpacking buddy wanting to go as well. I will confirm as soon as I can but it is looking really good!!!!!!!!!!!

lazyboy
08-14-2009, 10:18
how far is the hike in and out?

Ken
08-14-2009, 10:52

I'm not sure if the campsite has been selected yet. But, in the spring we went down Conley Cove which is about 1.3 miles each way. Then we went something like 1000 feet south of there on the Linville Gorge trail to a campsite that was nice for hammocks.

Ken

MacEntyre
08-14-2009, 12:48
It's really more like the hike down and the hike up... and it's about 1500 feet each way!

I'll be there!

- MacEntyre

Ken
08-14-2009, 12:51
It's really more like the hike down and the hike up... and it's about 1500 feet each way!

I'll be there!

- MacEntyre

Yer right Mac. In Linville, it's not the miles, it's the terrain. Steep and rough, but Conley is probably the tamest trail on the west side. Most don't have all those switchbacks.

Ken

Yosef
08-14-2009, 14:35
If all are welcome and my schedule aligns I might be game. Sounds like fun.

Ken
08-14-2009, 15:53
I'm sure everyone is welcome! Come on up!:)

slowhike
08-14-2009, 15:54
Yer right Mac. In Linville, it's not the miles, it's the terrain. Steep and rough, but Conley is probably the tamest trail on the west side. Most don't have all those switchbacks.

Ken

MacEntire & Ken are right. If we choose that campsite (& I hope we do) it's basically all down hill on the way in, until you get to the trail that follows the river, the Linville Gorge Trail (LGT), & that's just a little up & down. Not bad at all.
And the trail in & out is not a bad trail. Just take your time.
I've taken kids & out of shape friends on that trail & they did fine.

As we get a little closer, we'll make a list of perspective hammockers, but the site that Ken, MacEntire & me used earlier this year is nice & flat w/ enough well spaced trees to handle as many hammocks as needed.

slowhike
08-14-2009, 15:55
I'm sure everyone is welcome! Come on up!:)

Yes indeed!!! Hope you can make it!

slowhike
08-14-2009, 15:58
Here's a link to my Picasa web album, showing the camp site being talked about.
http://picasaweb.google.com/slowhike/LinvilleGorgeMay09#

sanzy
08-19-2009, 16:46
-don't think I can make it as it during the work week but I will try.

JayS
08-19-2009, 17:04
Slowhike,
Those are some pretty pictures of pretty country. Hope I can make it down some day.

slowhike
08-20-2009, 20:28
-don't think I can make it as it during the work week but I will try.

I know. I usually don't try to make "during the week" trips either, but since we may be having out of town company, I'll make an exception<G>.
Join us if you can.

slowhike
08-20-2009, 20:29
Slowhike,
Those are some pretty pictures of pretty country. Hope I can make it down some day.

Hope you can. Linville Gorge is a neat place!

Hawk-eye
08-26-2009, 10:36
:D Looks like things are aligning for that week before Halloween!!! Unless a major disaster occurs or I get locked up for killing someone overseas ... ahem .. I'll be back in country ... furniture market will end on the 22nd ... and life will be good!

Now ... got to make sure I get Shug some good livermush for the gorge! ;)

Ken
08-26-2009, 10:39

I think he likes Hunter's, but you'll have to come up this way to find it!
My favorite too!

Shug
08-26-2009, 10:40
:D ood!
Me and you done made friends already!!!! M-m-m-m-m-m-Mush.

Liver mush that porkish delight,
I crave it morning, noon and night,
To eat it is a palettes delight,
To serve it is down-right polite.

Salivating Shug

Hawk-eye
08-26-2009, 10:49
Dang guys ... I don't want to wish my life away ... but I'm looking forward to this trip!

Ken ... shame Walsh's Market isn't there in Valdese ... now that was some great homemade livermush!!!!

Bring your fry pan Shug ... "we's be eating sum mush for sure" ;)

MacEntyre
08-26-2009, 11:27
How about some strawberry rhubarb pie to go with it?

- MacEntyre

slowhike
08-26-2009, 11:46
How about some strawberry rhubarb pie to go with it?

- MacEntyre

Sounds fantastic to me!!! I'll even help you carry it my friend!!!:)
Speaking of livermush, I had liverpudding & eggs for brunch today!!! I was thinking about y'all:D

MacEntyre
08-26-2009, 11:54
It's Hawk-eye's specialty, I believe...

Hawk-eye
08-26-2009, 12:05
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT MAC ... Louise's Rock House Restaurant is the first stop coming out of the gorge!

That's some mighty fine pie!

Hawk-eye
08-26-2009, 12:10
Hey ... if you guys want to view some photos of the gorge ... here's a link or two for some I've taken over the years.

Ya know ... just to get the mood set! I love that big ditch ... if no one's figured that out yet :rolleyes:

The area we're going and camping is beautiful ... but just barely scratches the surface of what's there to see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/collections/72157611469602942/

and some more

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/collections/72157607548961274/

slowhike
08-26-2009, 15:24
Nice pictures Hawk-Eye! Thanks!
In your annual "Thanksgiving Hike", I saw a net hammock for longing in 1999, & a Hennesy in 2001. You've had been enjoying the pleasures of hammocking several years before I discovered it!
2002 were the last "Thanksgiving" trip pictures I saw. Have you been doing that one since then?

Hey ... if you guys want to view some photos of the gorge ... here's a link or two for some I've taken over the years.

Ya know ... just to get the mood set! I love that big ditch ... if no one's figured that out yet :rolleyes:

The area we're going and camping is beautiful ... but just barely scratches the surface of what's there to see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/collections/72157611469602942/

and some more

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/collections/72157607548961274/

Hawk-eye
08-26-2009, 15:39
Unfortunately not ... son working, brother-in-law working and me having to spend the odd Thanksgiving on the other side of the globe. Then tie that to my mother giving me the hairy eyeball for messing with her Thanksgiving plans! :rolleyes:

But I've been getting a lot of gorge time with my best friend Ken ... so it's good. I'm hoping to get another hike with my son and brother-in-law pretty soon though.

Ken and I do a lot of trail work ... I just get a glazed look from my son and BIL on that one! Ha

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. It's an amazing place. Been going there since my dad took me back in the late 60's. He can't hike it anymore but he enjoys my stories and pictures!

Oh and on the hammocks ... yeah we all three actually got HH back in 2000 ... and immediately fell in love with them. Back in the early 70's I played around with a couple old Vietnam surplus jungle hammocks ... good idea ... poorly executed and heavy. But that's when I got the bug. Just didn't get an opportunity to properly feed that passion till the HH. Sure beats a night on the ground!

slowhike
08-26-2009, 15:54
Yeah, I finally had the pleasure of meeting Ken recently & he's a good guy to hike with! Look forward to meeting you too!
Thanks a million for the work you (& others) do in the "big ditch"!!!

Hawk-eye
08-26-2009, 22:20
Yeah Ken's a great guy. Kinda funny we grew up just across the river from each other ... and never bumped into each other in all those years.

Looking forward to meeting you too. I'm really looking forward to this trip .. should be a lot of fun ... rain or shine!

slowhike
08-26-2009, 22:26
Yep, rain or shine!!!

Hawk-eye
08-27-2009, 08:17
Well I can tell you from personal experience ... rain sounds mighty fine on a tarp while you're laying there enjoying the gorge from a comfortable hang!

Pitch close enough to the river and you can watch the river ... err ... practice observational hydrological engineering ;)

Now if I can only find someone to pay me to do that!

Kanguru
08-27-2009, 08:42
This sure sounds like a good trip. Hope I can make it. Will have to wait until closer to know if possible.

Hawk-eye
08-30-2009, 18:50
Hey Shug ... You going to be able to make it? Sure looking forward to meeting you finally pal.

Michael

mazz1111
08-30-2009, 18:56
shaping up to be quite a crew...i'd love to make it at least one night - possibley Tue, maybe Wed as well......

Hawk-eye
08-30-2009, 19:11
I hear ya ... I've not look forward to something this much since Ken, Jim and I established Camp Hobo a few weeks back. Good friends, serious hammock use and Linville Gorge! It don't get much better than that!

Besides ... just got my HH with the 2QZQ mod ... and can't wait to get some real use out of it.

slowhike
08-30-2009, 19:49
I hear ya ... I've not look forward to something this much since Ken, Jim and I established Camp Hobo a few weeks back. Good friends, serious hammock use and Linville Gorge! It don't get much better than that!

Besides ... just got my HH with the 2QZQ mod ... and can't wait to get some real use out of it.

SERIOUS HAMMOCK USE... I like that... that's me:D I get serious about putting my hammock to use!!!:lol::):D
Hope you guys can make it!

Shug
08-31-2009, 00:01
Hey Shug ... You going to be able to make it? Sure looking forward to meeting you finally pal.
Michael
Oh yessir ...... I am going to be there .... cause there is livermush I hear. Always tastes best in the Gorge.
Trying to get a couple of non-hammock friends to go. One (Turk) has one I made him but has never used it and I am making one for the other.... (Big Dog).
Can't wait to make ya'lls acquaintance face to face and hang in the Gorge. Been a while since I was in it......
Whooooo Buddy!
Shug

Hawk-eye
08-31-2009, 04:23
You can count on it Shug ... there will be some 'mush ... and you're bringing converts! Dang ... a couple more of those ground dwellers seeing the light! :rolleyes:

Should be a great way to roll out October!

slowhike
08-31-2009, 06:12
Trying to get a couple of non-hammock friends to go. One (Turk) has one I made him but has never used it and I am making one for the other.... (Big Dog).
Shug

Well I hope they make it. Ya know what they say... "If ya cant hang with the big dogs, just stay on the porch":D

Bucky Katt
09-01-2009, 14:25
If youwere going the weekend of the 10th and 11th I could do it :( The 26th is after my foot surgery....I don't think I"ll be moving. :(

slowhike
09-01-2009, 21:34
If youwere going the weekend of the 10th and 11th I could do it :( The 26th is after my foot surgery....I don't think I"ll be moving. :(

Hopefully, there will be more!!! Take care of that foot.

MacEntyre
09-02-2009, 19:07
I found on my desk a simple business card that I got from a fellow in Morganton.
The card uses the Linville Gorge skyline.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/MacEntyre/GorgeSkylinebuscard.jpg

I want to do something similar.

Does anyone know of a good photo or drawing of the Linville Gorge skyline?

- MacEntyre

Ken
09-02-2009, 19:27
Mac, here's the Linville Gorge flickr group:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/835454@N23/

I'm sure there are some good skylines in there.

Ken

Hangin' Burrito
09-03-2009, 05:45
Sounds good!! Running Feather & I will be there.

We've been wanting to explore the Gorge for awhile now, after doing the latter half of the Art Loeb trail,(Shining Rock & Cold Mtn.) we're psyched for more rugged terrain. Are we nuts? Probably.:confused:

Look forward to meeting ya'll and talking hammocks!!:thumbup1:

Hangin' Burrito

slowhike
09-03-2009, 05:53
Sounds good!! Running Feather & I will be there.

We've been wanting to explore the Gorge for awhile now, after doing the latter half of the Art Loeb trail,(Shining Rock & Cold Mtn.) we're psyched for more rugged terrain. Are we nuts? Probably.:confused:

Look forward to meeting ya'll and talking hammocks!!:thumbup1:

Hangin' Burrito

Sounds good! We'll look forward to seeing y'all there!
I think you'll love the gorge!

MacEntyre
09-03-2009, 06:00
I'm sure there are some good skylines in there.
Found one! Thank you, Ken!

This is in honor of your work in the Gorge:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/MacEntyre/MMPBusCard.jpg

/Thread hostages released/

Hey, Burrito, there will be some other folks attending from Hendersonville.

- MacEntyre

Ken
09-03-2009, 06:08
Looks good Mac!! Hey, working in the Gorge is great fun, and we really enjoy it.
I hope to be back there somewhere next Thursday.

See you all in October!

Ken

Running Feather
09-03-2009, 07:29
It's on my calendar!

Hawk-eye
09-03-2009, 20:21
Looks like a good group of tree hangers will be heading to the gorge this fall. Sounds like a great time coming up.

BUT ... and be advised ... you run the risk of becoming Gorge Rats. Some of the early signs will be noticeable ... some more vague. If you can answer yes to the following questions ... if might be too late. So after you get back home ... post these somewhere you can check back.

But then again ya might just like being a GORGE RAT:

Do more of your conversations with family and friends eventually involve the words gorge, Linville, Rockjock and the like?

Does your wife/girlfriend ... tend to roll their eyes at such conversations or give you "the look"?

Do you have a permanently ready day pack stocked specifically for trips to the gorge?

Do you own a Pulaski and a set of loppers ... or do you have close acquaintances that do?

Do you have a pair of hiking boots in your vehicle right this moment?

Can you quote the wisdoms of the Bob'ster from memory?

Do you own any books by Alan Hyde and Chris Blake?

Do you keep a "to-do list" of trails, locations and formations to see before you die?

Do you have a note book of waypoints, trail data or spring locations?

Do you know the difference between Gneiss and nice?

Have you ever considered starting a petition to have the Rhododendron named the state plant?

Does at least one of the fine folks at the Forest Service office in Nebo know you by name?

Do you know the Nebo office number by heart?

Do you have favorite parking spots at most of the major trail heads along the gorge?

Can you name briar scars on your legs by trails and specific trips?

Do you consider trail work as one of the true joys of life?

Do you consider the taste of Strawberry/Rhubarb pie as one of the necessities of life?

Can you hold your breath long enough to use the rest room of Louise's Rock House without gagging?

Have you ever set a camping hammock up in your basement or backyard to "test" it for the gorge?

Do you have a copy of the USFS Linville Gorge trail map readily accessible at all times?

Have you bought at least one replacement map because you wore the first one out?

Do you give "the look" to people you meet that tell of their trips to Linville Falls and Wiseman's View as "yeah I've been to the gorge".

Do you hear voices ("The Gorge") calling for you?

Do you ever "talk back to those voices"?

Hooch
09-04-2009, 05:02
This sounds like a great hike/hang, but, alas, it's the week before my hike from Pen-Mar to Crampton Gap for the MAHHA hang. Darn the timing! :cursing: I'll definitely have to hit the Gorge another time! :D

slowhike
09-04-2009, 15:58
Sorry to hear that Hooch. At least the gorge isn't to far away.
Maybe we can another, smaller group hang & hike in this winter.

Hawk-eye
09-04-2009, 17:49
Hmmm ... Ken ... think these guys would be interested in the "L.O.S.T" winter hike of death? ;)

Ken
09-04-2009, 18:02
I don't know Michael, but since we'll be camping at the river that might be a two day trip!

Hawk-eye
09-04-2009, 18:20
Oh definitely not this trip ... but sure would make a good winter trip for a smaller group ... not sure I'd have admitted it back in February ... but I'm definitely wanting to do that one again!

Ken
09-04-2009, 19:20
We're gonna! The chimes need maintenance.

Hawk-eye
09-04-2009, 19:28
That's right ... need to take a hunk of 550 paracord for sure!

So anyone had anythoughts about hikes during the hammock hang in Oct?

Ken
09-04-2009, 19:32
Slowhike mentioned maybe visiting the "hole in the rock". That would be a good dayhike along the river.

Hawk-eye
09-04-2009, 19:35
Yeah that sounds great ... I'd like to check out that trail bed I made above the Spence Ridge fork too. I'm working my arse off to justify to the blonde being in the gorge most of that week! She can't give me the look from 8,000 miles ... unless I have the camera on with SKYPE!!!

MacEntyre
09-04-2009, 20:56
...the "L.O.S.T" winter hike of death? ;)
Whatever it is, count me in!

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-05-2009, 00:47
Hey Mac ... it's the trail you'll love and hate. Some of the most spectacular views to be worked for!

For some photos ... check out this set I took back in Feb of this year. Kicked my butt coming out of Zen Canyon but my buddies Glen and Ken hung back with me. When you come out of this thing you are glad it's over and question wheither you'll go back ... but thinking back on it .. ya just gotta re-visit it. It's a gem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/sets/72157614268368825/

If you go to the panoramas in the set linked below ... you can see some upclose details of the cliffs that L.O.S.T. traverses. Be sure to check out the full size versions for the most detail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/sets/72157616333864911/

Not a trail to do in the heat of summer ... and the fact there'd be a bunch of as Ken taught me ... Rattleheaded Copper Mocassins!!! :scared:

MacEntyre
09-05-2009, 07:54
... Rattleheaded Copper Mocassins!!! :scared:
Geez! That's reason enough to go in the summer! :cool:

Wonderful pictures! I've been living within 100 miles of the Gorge for 20 years and have mostly looked down upon it from the road on the ridge. Let's plan a trip this winter!

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-05-2009, 08:09
No problem with that Mac ... I plan on going to the gorge till some carries my ashes to the edge of NC Wall someday!

I just go a lot slower than I use to!

The only time I've ever regretted is time I couldn't get to the gorge. It's that special a place. It's amazing from the rims ... but that is only a tenth at the most of it's offerings. I've been going there since the late 60's and there are places I've still never seen. I wouldn't call it wasted time ... but I did spend a good deal of the early to mid seventies concentrating my time climbing the cliffs and missed time in other areas that I'm trying to make up for. Hammocks have definitely opened up the options for camping in areas that were impossible before.

Back to LOST ... I can promise you one thing ... you wouldn't want to be on that west wall in the summer ... think reflector oven! We hiked southern Rock Jock Aug of 08 and it was like a slow roast! I came away looking like an over cooked lobster myself! But a bad day in the gorge is still a great day! IMHO!

We'll keep you posted on that one.

Shug
09-12-2009, 13:04
Whoooooo ..... I feel the pull of a livermush filled Linville!

Ken
09-12-2009, 13:07
Whoooooo ..... I feel the pull of a livermush filled Linville!

At's a lotta mush!!!

slowhike
09-12-2009, 13:09
Does this mean I need to bring eggs!!!:D

Shug
09-12-2009, 13:13
We gonna need biscuits and mustard...
Ken .... loved your Grits diatribe.....

slowhike
09-12-2009, 13:17

I think we could make it happen!!!:)
Not my normal backpacking grub, but this should be an "above normal" trip!!!:D

Shug
09-12-2009, 13:19
Me too. Since it sounds like we will base camp it I plan to live a little mo' large on this hang.

Ken
09-12-2009, 13:22

Thanks Shug. I didn't write it, but I thought it was good enough to pass on.

Ken

MacEntyre
09-12-2009, 13:26
It's downhill to camp, so if we eat everything, we only have to lump trash back to the top.

- MacEntyre

Shug
09-12-2009, 13:32
Which way is the camp at the end of Conelly Cove? Is that the spot?

Ken
09-12-2009, 13:34
About 1000 feet or so south of the Conley/Linville Gorge Trail intersection.

I have a map somewhere here. I'll link it.

We were down at the waypoint called CampCon on this map:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=583

Ken

MacEntyre
09-12-2009, 13:50
That's a good map, Ken... it shows the unusual wooded plateau sitting above the banks of the river, covered in hemlock and pine needles. Just right for a group hang.

- MacEntyre

slowhike
09-12-2009, 13:58
So, who's bring what?
I can bring eggs when I arrive Tue eve if you like. And more if I need to.

Ken
09-12-2009, 14:09
I'll get a few blocks of Hunter's Livermush since it's available here locally.
Have to figure some way to keep it cool enough unless the weather is
cool enough that week.

I hope to go in on Tuesday and stay both nights, but I may be limited to just
Tuesday night and hike out late Wednesday.

Ken

Hawk-eye
09-12-2009, 14:20
Wooooooo buddy to quote someone ;)

You guys been busy as I slept! I'm getting hungry just reading this! I'm planning to go in Tuesday and come out Thursday myself. I'll be happy to bring whatever ... once we all decide. Sounds like a good time for sure.

Michael

MacEntyre
09-12-2009, 14:20
Have to figure some way to keep it cool enough...
How about storing it in the nearby stream that feeds the river?

I'll be there Tues through Thurs as well, arriving about lunchtime on Tues, departing early Thurs morning. I can bring fresh baked bread.

- MacEntyre

Ken
09-12-2009, 14:27
How about storing it in the nearby stream that feeds the river?

I'll be there Tues through Thurs as well, arriving about lunchtime on Tues, departing early Thurs morning. I can bring fresh baked bread.

- MacEntyre
Yeah, I think that will work once we get it down there Mac. Should be ok from the truck to the stream.

slowhike
09-12-2009, 14:28
It'll help us to be able to fill in the details as we continue to get a better idea of who's coming when.
I suppose Wed morn could be the big breakfast day & whatever is left can be used Thurs morn (or Wed eve).
I'd say Shug needs not worry about bringing anything, since he's our "out of state guest".

Hawk-eye
09-12-2009, 14:30
Sort of solves the question of what we do Wednesday .... we'll all be hanging in hammocks like bloated ticks on a hound dog!

slowhike
09-12-2009, 14:30
Yeah, I think that will work once we get it down there Mac. Should be ok from the truck to the stream.

Probably would be fine, but it may not hurt to pack it in some ice since it wont be used until next morn.

slowhike
09-12-2009, 14:32
Sort of solves the question of what we do Wednesday .... we'll all be hanging in hammocks like bloated ticks on a hound dog!

:lol::lol::lol: Sounds fun to me:D
Of course if we take a hike up to the big hole in the rock, we'll be that much more ready for more when we get back<G>.

Hawk-eye
09-12-2009, 14:44
Ken mentioned you want to check it out ... that'd be great. Not that hard to get to actually. If the water level's up it might be difficult to get across to the actual hole but we might be able to figure it out even if that happens. Might be a good idea to carry a safety line in for that purpose ... and I just happen to have one in my Jeep I can bring along!

Ken
09-12-2009, 14:53
Probably would be fine, but it may not hurt to pack it in some ice since it wont be used until next morn.

Yeah, or maybe Mac will have a refrigeration unit for a Molly Mack Pack by then.

MacEntyre
09-12-2009, 14:55
Yeah, or maybe Mac will have a refrigeration unit for a Molly Mack Pack by then.
If you wish to take a cooler, just say so! I have a soft one that can be strapped on with ease. I'll post pictures...

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-12-2009, 14:56
How about it Mac? Geesh that's hilarious Ken ...

MacEntyre
09-12-2009, 18:47
Read about it here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=149746#post149746).

Hawk-eye
09-12-2009, 18:50
That's wild! You thought of everything!

MacEntyre
09-12-2009, 20:10
...frozen 16oz drink bottles would last a lot longer than ice cubes.
Place your orders now and I'll put them in the freezer!

Cheerwine and Ginger Ale?

- MacEntyre

Shug
09-12-2009, 22:00
Well ..... I ain't no moocher and don't need no handouts :lol::laugh:
I aim to bring something .... biscuits or Moon Pies.
Look forward to poking around my beloved gorge and swapping gorge tale. I have camped and backpacked in the gorge more than likely 20 or 30 time over my time spent in the Charlotte area. 4th grade until about 3 years of college and stuff.
Me and my Dad got to backpack down there together. Good memories.......
Shug who is Pumped!!!!!

Hawk-eye
09-12-2009, 22:06
....Me and my Dad got to backpack down there together. Good memories.......
Shug who is Pumped!!!!!

I'll tell you Shug ... I know whatcha mean ... my dad whose still with us but not able to hike the gorge any more ... took me there the first time. Took time he didn't have after standing on his feet all day in a factory working as an upholster. So the gorge has a lot of special meaning to me and sharing photos of my adventures with him and talking about the old trips. GOOD times for sure.

Sharing the gorge with friends is special stuff.

Looking forward to this trip more than anything!

Shug
09-12-2009, 22:31
Heading out tomorrow for two nights with a noobie HF'er. Wander'nfool is well set with a BB, MacCat, Circuit, Yeti and JetBoil. First backpack trip for him.
I have taught him all I can, he has perused this site and he has done his prep. I am proud. Gonna be so good to hit the piney woods. Whoooooo Buddy!!!!!!

slowhike
09-12-2009, 22:34
Heading out tomorrow for two nights with a noobie HF'er. Wander'nfool is well set with a BB, MacCat, Circuit, Yeti and JetBoil. First backpack trip for him.
I have taught him all I can, he has perused this site and he has done his prep. I am proud. Gonna be so good to hit the piney woods. Whoooooo Buddy!!!!!!

Have fun, be safe & we'll see ya when y'all get back!!!

Hawk-eye
09-12-2009, 22:39
I'm jealous Shug ... have a great time in those piney woods!

Hawk-eye
09-13-2009, 21:45
OK OK I know ... it's a month and a half out ... but what can I say ... I'm pumped on this trip.

Sounds like we're going to have a group big breakfast that first morning. I'll be tickled to bring a huge mess of biscuits ... I'll get them in Morganton the morning of the first day (fresh as possible) and bring with me .. complete with jelly options and mustard!

Do we have a time that most of us will plan on meeting at the new Conley Cove trail head on Tuesday the 27th?

I'm ready to go rain or shine .. anything short of a hurricane or forest fire. ;)

Guess we'll get an idea how many of us there'll be closer in.

Dang ... guess I am early on this ... oh well you think I'm bad now wait till about two weeks before!!!

OH and one more thing ... even if only one other person ends up going ... I'm there!

mtncmpr
09-13-2009, 22:45
MAN!! This website has sooooo much information, but I found this thread about the gorge hang (thanks Michael & Ken for the heads-up). Oct. 27-29? If all goes well, I plan to be there also.

(Just got my first hammock (HHExplorerUL) a week or so ago, and I’m loving it!) :D

Ken
09-14-2009, 04:58
Hey Glen. I think Michael is getting excited..... At least a little bit.:rolleyes:

slowhike
09-14-2009, 05:58
MAN!! This website has sooooo much information, but I found this thread about the gorge hang (thanks Michael & Ken for the heads-up). Oct. 27-29? If all goes well, I plan to be there also.

(Just got my first hammock (HHExplorerUL) a week or so ago, and I’m loving it!) :D

Cool!!! Look forward to meeting you in the gorge!

Hawkeye, I'll be a late arrival, probably get to the parking area around 6 or 7pm, so I'm sure you already be there<G>.

Hawk-eye
09-14-2009, 06:10
Want one of us to meet you at the trail head and walk down with you pal? Going to be getting pretty dark soon after you get there.

Ken
09-14-2009, 06:25
I expect I'll be at the trailhead before mid-morning on Tuesday. A night hike
up to meet Tim might be nice.

Ken

Hawk-eye
09-14-2009, 06:29
Hey Glen. I think Michael is getting excited..... At least a little bit.:rolleyes:

Ha ... little bit? Whatcha call alligators ... lizards? :D

Hawk-eye
09-14-2009, 06:30
I expect I'll be at the trailhead before mid-morning on Tuesday. A night hike
up to meet Tim might be nice.

Ken

Yeah that's what I was thinking!

MacEntyre
09-14-2009, 09:59
I expect I'll be at the trailhead before mid-morning on Tuesday.
I'll shoot for that, too.

For the night hike, we can hide out in the Cowboy Hotel and scare the beejeezus out of Slowhike as he ambles by!

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-14-2009, 10:04
Hmmm ... do we really want Slowhike in camp with a pant load of "beejeezus" ;)

slowhike
09-14-2009, 13:41
I'll shoot for that, too.

For the night hike, we can hide out in the Cowboy Hotel and scare the beejeezus out of Slowhike as he ambles by!

- MacEntyre

Shhhhhh... he'll hear you:rolleyes:

If y'all want to do a night hike, that's fine, but no big deal either way. You may be having so much fun in camp, you'll forget about ol slowhike:(
Oh, wait a minute... scaring me may be part of your fun:scared::scared::scared:

Oh boy... now I'm going to be stopping & listening for sounds & looking for movement in the moon light all the way down:eek:
Better un-load the pistol;)

Hawk-eye
09-14-2009, 17:28
Ahh ... another morning in "paradise" ;) and one day closer to the Gorge! :D

slowhike
09-14-2009, 17:35
Ahh ... another morning in "paradise" ;) and one day closer to the Gorge! :D

At least they aint blockin Hammock Forums over there<G>.

Hawk-eye
09-14-2009, 17:38
And don't think I'm not completely tickled to death about that one! I'm still ticked about YouTube .... I'd love to see Shug's latest video. Everyone is raving so much about it ... it's got to be another good one!

Ken
09-14-2009, 17:49
Here's a list of those who have said that they will, or may attend this hang.
We'll try to keep this updated over the coming weeks.

Slowhike
wfuballer21
Ken
Hawk-eye
Shug
Mac-Entyre
Hangin Burrito
Running Feather
Yosef
Kanguru
maz1111

Thanks,

Ken

slowhike
09-14-2009, 17:54
Thanks Ken. Hopefully folks will fill us in on being a...
"planning to be there"
"maybe"
or "sorry, but wont be able to make this one"

mtncmpr
09-15-2009, 10:56
Here's a list of those who have said that they will, or may attend this hang.
We'll try to keep this updated over the coming weeks.

Slowhike
wfuballer21
Ken
Hawk-eye
Shug
Mac-Entyre
Hangin Burrito
Running Feather
Yosef
Kanguru
maz1111

Thanks,

Ken

Add me to the list :thumbup1:

Ken
09-15-2009, 11:44
Sorry Glen. I knew you were coming. Missed you somehow. Looking forward to it.

Slowhike
wfuballer21
Ken
Hawk-eye
Shug
Mac-Entyre
Hangin Burrito
Running Feather
Yosef
Kanguru
maz1111
mtncmpr

Hawk-eye
09-15-2009, 14:02
ALL RIGHT GLEN!!!! That's great! Glad you'll be there pal!

Hawk-eye
09-16-2009, 01:40
Hey guys ... for everyone that joins us in the Big Ditch for the pre-Halloween Hang out ...
going to give each of you a gen-u-wine Gorge Rat Patch as an acknowledgment of how much you love the gorge.

And if you are already a patch wearing Gorge Rat ... hey you get another!

However those that decide they don't love my Big Ditch ... will be shot.

Nothing personal :rolleyes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3574/3500791900_275d71ff7d.jpg

slowhike
09-16-2009, 07:55
Cool Hawkeye!!! That's a nice looking patch. Been admiring that for a while!

I'll be bringing Hammock Forums "stickers" for all attending the gorge hang too.
I'm not seeing a picture of one right now, but may take one later.
Everyone attending gets one. If someone wants more, just make a small donation to HF.

Ken
09-16-2009, 08:02
Here's one I found in the decal announcement.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/HFsticker002.jpg

slowhike
09-16-2009, 08:03
Yep, that's her! Thanks Ken.

Shug
09-17-2009, 12:00
Hey guys ... for everyone that joins us in the Big Ditch for the pre-Halloween Hang out ...
going to give each of you a gen-u-wine Gorge Rat Patch as an acknowledgment of how much you love the gorge.

And if you are already a patch wearing Gorge Rat ... hey you get another!

However those that decide they don't love my Big Ditch ... will be shot.

Nothing personal :rolleyes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3574/3500791900_275d71ff7d.jpg
Whoooooo Buddy ..... I love me a patch and those are wonderful......
Looking so forward to the trip!
I may have a couple of friends with me but they are sorta non-committal at this point.... that is their nature.
Shug

Hawk-eye
09-17-2009, 13:05
I've had a few friends like that in my life Shug ... just glad you'll be coming! Hope they will too! Shaping up to be a great trip!

Michael

Hawk-eye
09-22-2009, 18:17
Had one of those wild hairs .... and a little time with Photoshop.

When I get in country ... I'll post a link to CafePress.com for a temporary store front and make available at just the CafePress price (no markup) for the following logo on short sleeve T's, long sleeve T's and maybe a coffee mug.

Let me know if anyone is interested ... you want it on anything else. I'd also like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the design. Any additional words in the lettering? Logo on the left breast pocket area or larger logo on the center of the shirt? Another thought I had was on the left front and a large image on the back. Could even combine this event logo and a gorge rat logo on the opposite side.

Anyway let me know and it'll be available no later than the 2nd of October.

Like I said ... just had a wild hair and thought it might be fun

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2560/3946200772_84a3e8bdbc.jpg

Running Feather
09-22-2009, 19:21
Maybe changing "September" to "October"? Nice idea. Great pumpkin!

Hawk-eye
09-22-2009, 19:23
Maybe changing "September" to "October"? Nice idea. Great pumpkin!

HA ... you be right grasshopper ... so much for doing this in the middle of the night! Heck I don't know what day of the week is over here! :confused:

mtncmpr
09-22-2009, 20:44
Hawk-eye, you ARE the man!! Great design.
Me personally, I prefer the big stuff on the back and a pocket logo (or nothing at all) on the front.

When are you due back??

Hawk-eye
09-22-2009, 20:46
Thanks pal ... actually due to visit my friends at United Airlines come Oct 1st (Sep 30th your time) ... should put me in Greensboro late the night of Oct 1st.

Hawk-eye
09-22-2009, 22:45
Hey guys ... if anyone wants to get a T-shirt ... I'll still set it up on Cafepress but I've decided to post the links below to the full size graphic. So you can go to Cafepress yourself and load the graphic and make your own shirt or stuff. It's really easy to do. They're pretty fast to get the product to you but since I'll not be in the states till the 1st of Oct ... might be faster if you want one.

If anyone is wanting to use the pumpkin graphic for something else or another Halloween Hang ... you have my full permission to use it. I've posted the link to just the pumpkin below as well. If you're going to use it to generate funds .. please donate to HF for it's use. OK?

Have fun with it ...

Shug
09-23-2009, 09:18
Love that punkins mouth Hawk-Eye!
The gorge is going to be quite the respite after 12 long days at the SC State Fair! I am going to come up straight to the Gorge from Columbia ..... gotta figure out where to stop and empty my van of all my props and such. Im not crazy about leaving a car full of my work gear at the trailhead. Maybe stop by Denver, NC and leave at my buddies house .... the one I hope gets to make it on this trip if he can take off of work.
Till then......... Whooooooooooo Buddy Linville gorge!!!
Shug

Hawk-eye
09-23-2009, 09:20
Yeah Shug ... probably not a good idea to leave any valuables in your vehicle. Looking forward to the trip!

Kanguru
09-23-2009, 09:53
Since I know nothing about this area would someone please post directions to where we would park and any other info. Don't know if I can make it, but would like to.

Sorry if I have missed this in the discussion.

Thanks...

Ken
09-23-2009, 10:09
Since I know nothing about this area would someone please post directions to where we would park and any other info. Don't know if I can make it, but would like to.

Thanks...

Would you be coming through Boone, or via the interstates?

slowhike
09-23-2009, 10:26

Thanks...

I knew Ken would probably be one of the best resources on getting there. I've not traveled there, coming from a northern direction.
Also, note the link Ken has in his post that takes a person to the "Linville Gorge .net" web site for lots of good info on the gorge it's self.

Ken
09-23-2009, 11:07

Thanks...

From Boone I'd take 105 south to 221 and 221 to the Linville Falls community. Then turn left on 183. In a mile or less Kistler Hwy. (dirt road also known as OldNC105 and County Line Road) goes straight off of 183 in a curve. Conley Cove parking is something like 5 miles south, or the first parking area south of the turn to Wiseman's View.

From I-40 south of the gorge, take Exit 94 Dysartsville Road. Go north of the interstate on Dysartsville road. It will dead end at Hwy 70 in about 3/4 mile. Turn left on 70. In just under 2 miles Bridgewater road will turn right off of 70 at a large wood chipping operation. You'll see the large yellow crane before you get there. Turn right onto Bridgewater road. In less than 1.5 miles you'll need to turn left on Benfield Landing Rd. Benfield Landing road will dead end into Hwy 126 in about 2 miles or a little more. Turn right on 126 and in about 3 miles you'll be coming up a hill and Kistler will be a straight ahead, as 126 enters a turn to the right. I believe Kistler is signed as Old NC105 at that intersection. The first couple of miles will be paved and after that you'll be on gravel. From the end of pavement to Conley parking is about 8.5 miles.

You could also take 181 north from Morganton (on I-40) and turn onto the 183 off of 181. It's about 4 miles on 183 to the turn onto the north end of
Kistler as descibed in the directions from Boone.

I like to get off the pavement asap, so I use the directions from exit94 on I-40.

Ken

Kanguru
09-23-2009, 11:11
For the good info. Hope I can make this. All depends on work...nothing new about that for most of us...:(

Ken
09-23-2009, 17:17
For the good info. Hope I can make this. All depends on work...nothing new about that for most of us...:(

You're welcome. Hope you can make it down!

Ken

Diamond Diggs
09-23-2009, 18:33
hmmm? :-(

would like to be there, but would not be able to make it until wed.
Is anyone staying longer than one night?

Hawk-eye
09-23-2009, 18:49
I know I am ... maybe some others ... if things work out at work ... I might not come out till Friday. If I stay overnight Thursday I'll probably do more hiking in a different part of the gorge if everyone leaves. Offically it's Tuesday to Thursday. But you know how work gets in the way of fun stuff!

slowhike
09-23-2009, 19:02
Hey, if I can work it in, I may try to drive down to the SC state fair & catch Shug's act.
Ya know we can't expect him to entertain us on the LG trip. He needs a break, just to be himself & relax w/ friends. So after the one trip down into the gorge on the unicycle, you guys just let him be:D:lol::rolleyes:

Anyone else thinking about trying to make the fair... maybe Sat (24th)?
http://scstatefair.org/schedule/index.php?selDay=1

Shug
09-23-2009, 19:10
I know I am ... maybe some others ... if things work out at work ... I might not come out till Friday. If I stay overnight Thursday I'll probably do more hiking in a different part of the gorge if everyone leaves. Offically it's Tuesday to Thursday. But you know how work gets in the way of fun stuff!
I may stay till Thursday and maybe Friday too ..... time willing. Unless family stuff comes up .... but hard to reach me in the Gorge!;)

Hey, if I can work it in, I may try to drive down to the SC state fair & catch Shug's act.
Ya know we can't expect him to entertain us on the LG trip. He needs a break, just to be himself & relax w/ friends. So after the one trip down into the gorge on the unicycle, you guys just let him be:D:lol::rolleyes:

Anyone else thinking about trying to make the fair... maybe Sat (24th)?
http://scstatefair.org/schedule/index.php?selDay=1
C'mon down!!!!!
Hey , I won't be to tired to shoot a movie .... and ya'll have all been cast!!!!

MacEntyre
09-23-2009, 19:20
I'll arrive Tues am and depart Thurs am. Wish I could stay longer, but I'm heading to Sipsey for the second half of my six day hang!

- MacEntyre

Shug
09-23-2009, 20:12
I sorta plan on getting there Monday late .... if I am lucky. If it is real late may just camp somewhere up high instead of down low.

slowhike
09-23-2009, 20:24
I sorta plan on getting there Monday late .... if I am lucky. If it is real late may just camp somewhere up high instead of down low.

If you camp near the road the first night, just bring a jug of water or find out were one of the few water sources are near the road. There aren't a lot I don't think.

Shug
09-23-2009, 20:51
If you camp near the road the first night, just bring a jug of water or find out were one of the few water sources are near the road. There aren't a lot I don't think.
Water!!??? I will be making my meal in good ol' NC Sweet Tea!
Sugar Shug

Hawk-eye
09-23-2009, 21:37

I'd come up Monday evening myself ... but I'm afraid after being gone the entire month of Sep ... the blonde might make this a permanent Camping trip for me! :scared:

Shug
09-23-2009, 22:00
I'd come up Monday evening myself ... but I'm afraid after being gone the entire month of Sep ... the blonde might make this a permanent Camping trip for me! :scared:
It will be about 3 weeks for me at that time away from my wife ..... she is busy though and may not know that I am gone .... except for my babble!
I know your situation .... enjoy some time with her.

slowhike
09-23-2009, 22:02
Water!!??? I will be making my meal in good ol' NC Sweet Tea!
Sugar Shug

:lol::lol::lol: Hummmm... I'll have to try that w/ oatmeal! That ought to get ya going:D

Shug
09-23-2009, 22:04
When is peak fall colors in the Gorge. Man, seeing that is something!!!!

Hawk-eye
09-23-2009, 22:04
It will be about 3 weeks for me at that time away from my wife ..... she is busy though and may not know that I am gone .... except for my babble!
I know your situation .... enjoy some time with her.

I do for a fact ... it's her "honey-do" lists that kill me! Ha! ;)

slowhike
09-23-2009, 22:07

Generally around mid to late Oct I think.

Hawk-eye
09-23-2009, 22:07

Hard to say with this years drought and late season rains ... but you're right they are glorious!!!! Except walking down hill on all those slippery leaves in the rain!!! Almost got a second "crack" in my bum going down Devil's Hole trail once! :scared:

Ken
09-24-2009, 05:18

I recommend "Lost Dog Camp". It's right on cliff edge about 800 feet from the
road. Easy trek from the car. If you're interested Shug I'll send you directions to it when the date gets closer.

Ken

Hawk-eye
09-24-2009, 05:37
OK ... I can't leave well enough along I guess ... here's another version of the pumpkin ... more Halloween'ish

MacEntyre
09-24-2009, 06:00
I might be able to join you. Might as well make it a 7 night hang.

I'll find you.

- MacEntyre

slowhike
09-24-2009, 06:08
I might be able to join you. Might as well make it a 7 night hang.

I'll find you.

- MacEntyre

I know that hiking & camping in a different location is often the preferred method, but using the easy to find, large campsite as a base camp will make it easy for people coming & going at different times like this:)
Man... I'm going to be tempted to tell them that I wont be at work Fri either!

MacEntyre
09-24-2009, 06:18
If I can talk them into it, I'll take them to the base camp.

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-24-2009, 23:21
Hey ... I've posted the logo so anyone can go to Cafepress and upload it ... either one and design your own T-shirt ... so I don't see a need to upload a special site when I get back. You can design a shirt in a bunch of different configurations and logo sizes. I'd avoid doing the one's that "embroiders" the logo on a shirt ... it looks awful unless it's a very very simple design.

What I've been asked for is if I have any of the Gorge Rat T's ... I don't but I set it up back earlier this year so anyone could order one if they want one of those. You can find them on this store link

http://www.cafepress.com/LGWGR

Anyway if anyone wants this stuff ... there it is! Oh and remember anyone that attends gets a free GR patch.

Shug
09-24-2009, 23:27
One of my friends has had his hammock out messing with it and staring at a very old map of the Carolina Canyon over coffee every morn. Sounds like he will make it and will be coming down from Virginia.
We have not seen each other in 5 years but stay in touch. What a treat to catch up in the piney woods .... and also make new friends as well.
I may weep now......;)
Soggy, Sappy Shug

Hawk-eye
09-24-2009, 23:30
Dang that's just great Shug!!!! This hang is getting better and better sounding every day. Can't wait!

Hey I just read you use to be a "gen-u-wine" circus clown ... did I get that correct? That's fantastic ... probably going to bug you to death for stories when we're all together in the Big Ditch!

Shug
09-24-2009, 23:46
Dang that's just great Shug!!!! This hang is getting better and better sounding every day. Can't wait!

Hey I just read you use to be a "gen-u-wine" circus clown ... did I get that correct? That's fantastic ... probably going to bug you to death for stories when we're all together in the Big Ditch!
Three seasons on Ringling Red Show. My wife and I met there .... she is no clown .... showgirl/aerialist.
She has an aerialist school in NE Minneapolis : http://www.watchhumansfly.com
Oh ... stories will be told. Lies too. You bet.

Hawk-eye
09-24-2009, 23:56
Oh ... stories will be told. Lies too. You bet.

COOL! I'll be there! :cool:

Running Feather
09-25-2009, 00:57
Shug, you never cease to amaze me. I caught your cameo in Zelia's vid. Nice production too.

slowhike
09-25-2009, 06:08
One of my friends has had his hammock out messing with it and staring at a very old map of the Carolina Canyon over coffee every morn. Sounds like he will make it and will be coming down from Virginia.
We have not seen each other in 5 years but stay in touch. What a treat to catch up in the piney woods .... and also make new friends as well.
I may weep now......;)
Soggy, Sappy Shug

I think someone needs a hug:D

Hawk-eye
09-25-2009, 07:39
... My wife and I met there .... she is no clown .... showgirl/aerialist.

Got a chance to check out her site ... WOW Shug ... why you on the road so much she a looker! Talented too!

Hmm ... need to get back to see my blonde ... been gone way too long this trip! :mellow:

Shug
09-25-2009, 09:21
Shug, you never cease to amaze me. I caught your cameo in Zelia's vid. Nice production too.
Thankee ...... had fun shooting that video.

I think someone needs a hug:D
How 'bout a head nod from a distance...:lol:

Got a chance to check out her site ... WOW Shug ... why you on the road so much she a looker! Talented too!
Hmm ... need to get back to see my blonde ... been gone way too long this trip! :mellow:
She makes me get out there and earn like she does. Meg is a tuffy!!! She likes shopping at $$ stores .... me, gear.
Soon ....... Gorge time! Whooooo Buddy.

Hawk-eye
09-25-2009, 09:24
Soon ....... Gorge time! Whooooo Buddy.

I HEAR YA ... This one I need!!!! Careful out there on the road Shug ...

Michael

beep
09-25-2009, 09:53
Three seasons on Ringling Red Show. My wife and I met there .... she is no clown .... showgirl/aerialist.
She has an aerialist school in NE Minneapolis : http://www.watchhumansfly.com

Hmm...my niece has recently relocated to the Twin Cities from the Orlando area. She has extensive experience as an aerialist with Anti-Gravity. You can see her in this clip...HERE (http://www.oneminuteu.com/default.taf?page=content&id=777).

Shug
09-25-2009, 10:02
Hmm...my niece has recently relocated to the Twin Cities from the Orlando area. She has extensive experience as an aerialist with Anti-Gravity. You can see her in this clip...HERE (http://www.oneminuteu.com/default.taf?page=content&id=777).
Anti-Grivity is a wonderful troupe! We saw them here in the Twin cities a year or so a go.
She is awesome.....

beep
09-25-2009, 10:07
Anti-Grivity is a wonderful troupe! We saw them here in the Twin cities a year or so a go.
She is awesome.....

She was here then with the company! :D

She's since started a different career direction locally and has been doing some part-time teaching at a circus school (though I don't know the name...sorry:eek:).

slowhike
09-25-2009, 16:14

Wow... she is awesome!!! I had to watch 3 times to be sure I got the foot thing down!!!:D

Running Feather
09-25-2009, 16:48
Nice Abs......

Wendigo
09-25-2009, 18:31
I can give a definitive maybe on being there......concrete.

Hawk-eye
09-25-2009, 18:46
I can give a definitive maybe on being there......concrete.

That's great ... we're almost certain that possibly we'll be happy to have you there ... maybe ... and that's set in concrete too! ;)

All kidding aside ... the more the merrier!

Hangin' Burrito
09-26-2009, 06:04
Just learned that Running Feather & I are going to be able to make the Gorge!!
:thumbup:

The anticipation has already reached the "antsy" stage.

This has been an area that we've wanted to hike for awhile now, & now we get to hike it with friends & fellow hangers!

I look forward to meeting ya'll and having fun in the Gorge!:D

RF & I will be there probably mid morning on Monday and leave out Wednesday around noon.( got to get back for a family function).

Does anyone have a list of who's coming?

Wendigo
09-26-2009, 06:35
Thank you Hawk-eye, it's always nice to possibly be wanted and enjoyed by strangers.....wait what?

Ken
09-26-2009, 06:48
Here's a list of everyone who has at least said "maybe" so far. If I've left anyone out, please let me know.

Slowhike
wfuballer21
Ken
Hawk-eye
Shug
Mac-Entyre
Hangin Burrito
Running Feather
Yosef
Kanguru
maz1111
mtncmpr
Diamond Diggs
Wendigo

Directions:

From Boone I'd take 105 south to 221 and 221 to the Linville Falls community. Then turn left on 183. In a mile or less Kistler Hwy. (dirt road also known as OldNC105 and County Line Road) goes straight off of 183 in a curve. Conley Cove parking is something like 5 miles south, or the first parking area south of the turn to Wiseman's View.

From I-40 south of the gorge, take Exit 94 Dysartsville Road. Go north of the interstate on Dysartsville road. It will dead end at Hwy 70 in about 3/4 mile. Turn left on 70. In just under 2 miles Bridgewater road will turn right off of 70 at a large wood chipping operation. You'll see the large yellow crane before you get there. Turn right onto Bridgewater road. In less than 1.5 miles you'll need to turn left on Benfield Landing Rd. Benfield Landing road will dead end into Hwy 126 in about 2 miles or a little more. Turn right on 126 and in about 3 miles you'll be coming up a hill and Kistler will be a straight ahead, as 126 enters a turn to the right. I believe Kistler is signed as Old NC105 at that intersection. The first couple of miles will be paved and after that you'll be on gravel. From the end of pavement to Conley parking is about 8.5 miles.

To enter the north end from Morganton (i-40), take 181 north and turn onto 183 off of 181. It's about 4 miles on 183 to the turn onto the north end of

Hope everyone can make it!

Ken

Ken
09-26-2009, 06:54
Here's the map again. The Conley Cove Trail is in yellow. Unless plans change we'll camp at the waypoint marked "CampCon" on the Linville Gorge Trail (trail follows river).

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=583

Hawk-eye
09-26-2009, 06:58
So far it looks like the majority will be there Tuesday (27th) till Thursday (29th). Some are talking about camping along the top Monday night ...

My plans are to be there bright and early Tuesday morning and staying till at least Thursday ... maybe going to another part of the gorge Thursday night ... say ... after a trip to Louise's Rock House Restaurant Thursday for Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie!

Ken
09-26-2009, 07:20
I spent Thursday in the gorge working on Rockjock trail. I placed 9 new photos
here if anyone wants to have a look. The Sourwood and Sassafras have some nice color already.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ojc

Ken

MacEntyre
09-26-2009, 07:34
Wow! Who would have thought we would have 11 people for a middle of the week hang?

A friend of mine (who doesn't hang) heard we were going, and got motivated to borrow my 13' Scamp for four days. He and his wife are at the Linville Falls State Park campground now.

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-26-2009, 07:38
I spent Thursday in the gorge working on Rockjock trail. I placed 9 new photos
here if anyone wants to have a look. The Sourwood and Sassafras have some nice color already.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ojc

Ken

Hey Ken ... those were some great shots ... I stole one to put on the LG Yahoo Group home page! I love seeing the sassafras and the sourwood start turning ... that just says Fall is coming to me!

Shug
09-26-2009, 10:01
Those picture stirred me Ken!
As I sit here in the hotel looking at them .... came across Hackers Point and the hemlock. Me and one friend (Turk) that may be on this trip camped there years back. On the Rock Jock, right? We sat out looking down into the gorge every night feeling it. Looking down on hawks in the evening. Did me some good.
Also grinned at the Wiseman's View shots. My scout troop ... Troop 51, Charlotte NC .... used to camp there before all the new sidewalks and suck. Me being me, I used to stand out on the very end of that rock shelf that juts off of UG's point and "fake" a fall. I would catch that rock ... hugging it. Really stupid but used to freak out a few of the scouts. ScoutMasters flogged me for it but it was worth it!!!!!
Shug of the Stupid

MacEntyre
09-26-2009, 10:12
...I used to stand out on the very end of that rock shelf that juts off of UG's point and "fake" a fall. I would catch that rock ... hugging it.
The humble, risky beginning of a career making people laugh!

We're glad you caught the rock!

- MacEntyre

Ken
09-26-2009, 10:22
Those picture stirred me Ken!
As I sit here in the hotel looking at them .... came across Hackers Point and the hemlock. Me and one friend (Turk) that may be on this trip camped there years back. On the Rock Jock, right?
Shug of the Stupid

Yep, on the good ole Rockjock Shug. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Unfortunately that little Carolina Hemlock finally succumbed to the wooly adelgid and the drought of 2007. We have a page of photos of "Hikers at Hackers" here (http://www.linvillegorge.net/hackerphotos.php), and you can see the changes at the little tree died. I sure do miss it.

Ken

Shug
09-26-2009, 10:31
Yep, on the good ole Rockjock Shug. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Unfortunately that little Carolina Hemlock finally succumbed to the wooly adelgid and the drought of 2007. We have a page of photos of "Hikers at Hackers" here (http://www.linvillegorge.net/hackerphotos.php), and you can see the changes at the little tree died. I sure do miss it.

Ken
Makes me a wee melancholy ........ had some nice times by that tree.
Thanks for the pix.

Ken
09-26-2009, 10:36
The North Carolina State Archives has a set of almost 100 year old photos taken by Frank Bicknell who lived right next to the upper falls. Looking through these is how we found the name UG's Point for the point north of Wiseman's.
Also, there is a missing trail called Carpenter's. No one knows anything about it today. One of Bicknell's photos taken from Carpenter's trail almost has to be
from Laurel Knob. Have to get up there and search for sign someday.

Bicknell set on flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/north-carolina-state-archives/sets/72157606611483034/)

Ken

MacEntyre
09-26-2009, 10:42
Amazing old pics, Ken! The one below is my new desktop background.

- MacEntyre

Ken
09-26-2009, 10:53
Amazing old pics, Ken! The one below is my new desktop background.

- MacEntyre

They sure are amazing. I could spend hours and hours studying them. Did you notice there are 5 pages of them!!

I need a time machine!

Ken

Hangin' Burrito
09-27-2009, 18:17
Yes.... only 28 days 'til Linville! I'm already thinking of the details.

I've been wanting to get over there for a long time now, and to think I am going to be amongest fellow hangers, only makes it that much better!:thumbup1:

Can't wait to meet some more friends and enjoy the campfire and stories that will no doubt ensue!

Will be a great time!!!
Until the trail.......... Hangin' Burrito

Shug
09-27-2009, 21:06
Me too!!!!
I know that I am gonna be tired after 12 days work straight but the gorge will rejuvenate my soul. Really hope both of my old friends make it as well.
I nice fire and some tales and a good cocoa, cigar, livermush.......... Whooooooooooooooooooo
Shug

slowhike
09-27-2009, 21:52
This hike in to base camp will be easy enough & a fantastic place to relax!!!
Plenty of day hike options for those who still need to burn of the energy!

Shug
09-27-2009, 21:55
This hike in to base camp will be easy enough & a fantastic place to relax!!!
Plenty of day hike options for those who still need to burn of the energy!
Looking forward to poking around the gorge .... and a sweet slumber.

Hawk-eye
09-27-2009, 22:09
Shug ... just out of curiousity ... what is your favorite cigar of choice?

Shug
09-27-2009, 22:12
Shug ... just out of curiousity ... what is your favorite cigar of choice?
Actually small Cohibas and..... I like those short Rum Al Capones. Call them "intermission" cigars. Or a nervous cigar. Also like an Avo or Punch in a full size.
How 'bout you .... cigars?
Just love a smoke before crawlin' in the sweet sway of the hammock and listening to the night birds.
Whoooooooo

Hawk-eye
09-27-2009, 22:17
Actually small Cohibas and..... I like those short Rum Al Capones. Call them "intermission" cigars. Or a nervous cigar. Also like an Avo or Punch in a full size.
How 'bout you .... cigars?
Just love a smoke before crawlin' in the sweet sway of the hammock and listening to the night birds.
Whoooooooo

When I worked in Ecuador and Bolivia all the time some how a box of Cohiba Robustos or Explendos always seemed to find their way home with me. :rolleyes:
I'd have to say my favorite though is still Arturo Fuente's.

Looking forward to this trip ... almost as much as meeting with the fine folks at United Airlines on the first of Oct! ;)

Shug
09-27-2009, 22:36
When I worked in Ecuador and Bolivia all the time some how a box of Cohiba Robustos or Explendos always seemed to find their way home with me. :rolleyes:
I'd have to say my favorite though is still Arturo Fuente's.

Looking forward to this trip ... almost as much as meeting with the fine folks at United Airlines on the first of Oct! ;)
Yessir ... always terrific getting back to home.
Spent some time in China on a cruise ship...... The Great Wall was a thrill for me. The squalor surprised me though. Makes one appreciate the cleanliness of home. Mighty smoggy as well .... in Beijing. We were surprised at McDonalds and PopEyes Chicken. Who woulda thunk.
Good taste in cigars..... your very sneaky.
That I admire.

mtncmpr
09-27-2009, 23:01
Unless something drastic pops up, I’m in for sure.

My nephew (28 yrs young) wants to start camping. Lately, I have talked to him a great deal about Linville Gorge (he has never been there) and he would like to come along to the hang. I told him as far as I knew, it would be ok (but hey… what do I know? I’m new to this group, myself). As yet, he doesn’t own a tent or hammock and can’t decide on which way to go. I told him it would be good to see some different hammock brands/setups and to talk to different folks while there and maybe it could help him decide if a hammock is for him (or not). As I said, he is just starting to get into camping and also wants to get into backpacking as well.
So… would he be welcome to come along, even if he is in a tent while there?

Hawk-eye
09-27-2009, 23:05
Back in the day my M. Chief PO friend and I use to have a good supply chain coming out of Panama. But ... we both got old I guess!

It's still pretty smoggy and though things have dramatically changed in just the last 5 to 7 years ... there's still things where I go that are dirty and primative. Such a dramatic contrast at times. First trip to Shanghai over 12 years ago ... I remember gray, dull and dirty. Next time I came back was 7 years ago. What a difference five years made and today ... could be NYC in parts of it.

Still can't compare to the good old US of A!

Hawk-eye
09-27-2009, 23:27

Absolutely!

Running Feather
09-28-2009, 06:50

My nephew (28 yrs young) wants to start camping. Lately, I have talked to him a great deal about Linville Gorge (he has never been there) and he would like to come along to the hang. I told him as far as I knew, it would be ok (but hey… what do I know? I’m new to this group, myself). As yet, he doesn’t own a tent or hammock and can’t decide on which way to go. I told him it would be good to see some different hammock brands/setups and to talk to different folks while there and maybe it could help him decide if a hammock is for him (or not). As I said, he is just starting to get into camping and also wants to get into backpacking as well.

I'll bring an extra hammock and tarp if you'd like. :eek:

Ken
09-28-2009, 07:27
Yeah Glen, I have a HH Expedition and a DIY no-net I could bring. Also have a DIY pad extender and 3/4 length Thermarest for under insulation I probably won't be using.

Ken

Ken
09-28-2009, 07:36
Updated list and directions:

Slowhike
wfuballer21
Ken
Hawk-eye
Shug
Mac-Entyre
Hangin Burrito
Running Feather
Yosef
Kanguru
maz1111
mtncmpr + nephew
Diamond Diggs
Wendigo
(15)

Directions:

To enter the north end from Morganton (i-40), take 181 north and turn onto 183 off of 181. It's about 4 miles on 183 to the turn onto the north end of

Hawk-eye
09-28-2009, 07:38
Hmm ... going to need more mush and biscuits!

Ken
09-28-2009, 07:46
Hmm ... going to need more mush and biscuits!

Are you going in Tuesday morning, or Monday? I may need you to meet me Tuesday morning and help tote mush down the hill.:lol:

Hawk-eye
09-28-2009, 07:56
Are you going in Tuesday morning, or Monday? I may need you to meet me Tuesday morning and help tote mush down the hill.:lol:

Definitely Tuesday morning ... Not Monday ... you know ... fear of blonde syndrome. :scared:

Be happy to help with the mush pal. Going to bring a mess of biscuits too.

MacEntyre
09-28-2009, 17:41
I have egg crates for 24 eggs.

I'll be glad to help lump stuff down the hill on Tuesday morning. I'll be there on Monday morning.

15 hangers in the middle of the week! Wow!

- MacEntyre

Hangin' Burrito
09-28-2009, 18:48
Running Feather has 2 packs of black pepper bacon:D. Is there something I can bring to help out?

Hangin' Burrito
09-28-2009, 18:54

I've got a hammock, tarp, & bug net if anyone needs to use them too. Hey, the more the merrier!!! Let's "enlighten" some more folks, right?:thumbup1:

Hawk-eye
09-28-2009, 19:08
Guess we're going to need some frying pans ... I've got my carry pan ... not a large one but if a few folks have them we can get into mass production.

Michael

Running Feather
09-28-2009, 19:14
I have egg crates for 24 eggs.

I'll be glad to help lump stuff down the hill on Tuesday morning. I'll be there on Monday morning.

15 hangers in the middle of the week! Wow!

- MacEntyre

Mac, what's your ETA?

Hawk-eye
09-28-2009, 19:25
Shug mentioned camping along the rim ... rest of you Monday guys staying up or going down to the river Monday? I plan to be there early Tuesday morning ... Ken too.

MacEntyre
09-28-2009, 19:42
I can take them down, but we might enjoy staying at the camp site near the parking lot. Slowhike and I did that. We can explore the trail along the edge, as well as the cowboy hotels. That way we will be there Tues am to help lump goods downhill.

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-28-2009, 19:54
Just remember to stay 200 feet from the trail head ... some rangers can get a little pissy about that.

Well another day closer to the big hang ... looking good!

Had a short scare just a couple hours ago .. one factory on strike and looked like a delay home. Just a delay on the trip to Pudong.

I'm getting to old for this sometimes ... me thinks! :rolleyes:

MacEntyre
09-28-2009, 20:21
I'm getting to old for this sometimes ... me thinks! :rolleyes:
So you're not interested in being the Molly Mac Pack manufacturing supervisor for China? :scared:

Don't worry, manufacturing is going to stay right here in Jamestown. Tom Valone, Great Outdoor Provision Co., told me his horror stories of manufacturing in China. Makes you wonder how Tom Hennessy does so well. Anyway, I have to keep it here 'cause I want to keep using the Linville Gorge Skyline on my business cards. :cool:

Did I tell you that my wife knows your boss' family? :eek:

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-28-2009, 20:41
So you're not interested in being the Molly Mac Pack manufacturing supervisor for China? :scared:
- MacEntyre

Let's see ... factory goes on strike, strike issue resolved, secondary strike and written protest because the outside workers caused the inside workers not to be able to work ... so they strike. Now the managers are discussing a strike due to the inside strikes :scared:

Yes right at the moment there are 12 police officers, four lawyers and a couple hundred on lookers. Just another day in paradise!

Not the norm but not surprising.

I have an inspector that wants to be transfered to Shenzhen ... now get this ... his exact words ... "I need to have more sex with my girl friend"

Hard to argue with that huh? ;)

Now to the question of how are you successful in China ... be here, supervise and follow up. Never, ever accept that anything is resolved till it actually is finished and shipped. Truth over here has a definite slant to it ... no pun intended.

Did I mention I need the gorge? :rolleyes:

Hawk-eye
09-28-2009, 20:42
Did I tell you that my wife knows your boss' family? :eek:

- MacEntyre

Anderson or Lewis?

MacEntyre
09-28-2009, 20:48
Lewis, maybe both...

Hangin' Burrito
09-29-2009, 05:27
I can take them down, but we might enjoy staying at the camp site near the parking lot. Slowhike and I did that. We can explore the trail along the edge, as well as the cowboy hotels. That way we will be there Tues am to help lump goods downhill.

- MacEntyre

Sounds like a plan. Who all is going to be there Monday morning besides Running Feather & I ?

I'm so looking forward to exploring " The Grand Canyon of the East".

Rain or shine, we're gonna have a great time! Only 26 days to go!!!:thumbup:

Don't forget the cameras!

Running Feather
09-29-2009, 05:42
Maybe we can hike the Rock Jock on Monday.

MacEntyre
09-29-2009, 05:49
Rock Jock Trail data from LinvilleGorge.net:

List of POI (http://www.linvillegorge.net/rockjock.html)

Map. (http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/9269/rjt34wl.jpg)

I printed the map cropped (attached) on 8.5X11 paper, with the list on the back.

Should make for a very nice day, in any weather!

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-29-2009, 06:01
Maybe we can hike the Rock Jock on Monday.

Maybe I'm not the one to be objective :rolleyes:
But you're going to love Rock Jock ... and you really can't even explore all of it in one day ... one of my favorite trails.

Hawk-eye
09-29-2009, 06:03

..... Only 26 days to go!!!:thumbup:

Don't forget the cameras!

I HEAR YA!!!! Got the count down timer on my iPhone reminding me everyday ... wish I was going to be there Monday ... but I plan to hit it at least one time before the big hang!

Hangin' Burrito
09-29-2009, 06:24
I HEAR YA!!!! Got the count down timer on my iPhone reminding me everyday ... wish I was going to be there Monday ... but I plan to hit it at least one time before the big hang!

Looking forward to hiking with an experienced guide!:thumbup1:

I think Tuesday is going to be a great day of exploration with ya'll!

Ken
09-29-2009, 06:29
That's pretty old data Mac. 3 or 4 years old, and really was done from memory by Bob before the trail was rebuilt. It is fairly accurate though and would certainly let you know where you are as you follow along the new trail. The new trail is a few hundred feet up the hill in places. When I get back to work tomorrow I'll make you an image from the new map, and the accurate track. The screen on this laptop isn't large enough to do it right.

You guys should stage a car at the far end. Rockjock is only 4.3 - 4.5 miles, but it is a rough dayhike. Or, just hike down it till you've had enough and backtrack!

Ken

Hawk-eye
09-29-2009, 06:46
You guys should stage a car at the far end. Rockjock is only 4.3 - 4.5 miles, but it is a rough dayhike. Or, just hike down it till you've had enough and backtrack!

Ken

I'll just add ... hike from South to North and you'll not have that uphill grunt at the end of the hike if you do the whole thing. But like Ken said ... just go half as far as you want hike and head back ... you'll see a different perspective on the return that you can appreciate.

Running Feather
09-29-2009, 06:59
Rock Jock Trail data from LinvilleGorge.net:

List of POI (http://www.linvillegorge.net/rockjock.html)

Map. (http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/9269/rjt34wl.jpg)

I printed the map cropped (attached) on 8.5X11 paper, with the list on the back.

Should make for a very nice day, in any weather!

- MacEntyre

I've uploaded the tracks and waypoints for RJ and several other nearby trails to my GPS so we shouldn't have any trouble. I also have the LVG map hardcopy.

Just looked at the Linville Falls trail hmmm? So many places so little time.

I'm guessing we'll be there 10ish

Running Feather
09-29-2009, 07:00
I'll just add ... hike from South to North and you'll not have that uphill grunt at the end of the hike if you do the whole thing. But like Ken said ... just go half as far as you want hike and head back ... you'll see a different perspective on the return that you can appreciate.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

Hawk-eye
09-29-2009, 07:02
If you've never been there I'd definitely stop by and see the falls ... quick simple hike. Hit Wiseman's too ... need to get the tourist stuff over and done!
;)

Running Feather
09-29-2009, 07:18
Thanks Hawk-eye

mtncmpr
09-29-2009, 08:22

Running Feather, Ken and Hanging Burrito...

THANKS for the offer of allowing my nephew the use of a hammock etc...
I'll let him know and get back with you on this.

Since I'm new myself to the hammock, I look forward to seeing the different systems and ways of hanging them.

I'm not sure yet which day I'll be arriving, but as soon as I am, I'll post it. I'll be glad to help out any way I can hauling, etc., (I'll also "volunteer" my nephew! ;) )

MacEntyre
09-29-2009, 10:48
I'll make you an image from the new map, and the accurate track.
Thanks, Ken!

I like having a paper map... but I'll have my GPS as well.

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-29-2009, 14:04
....(I'll also "volunteer" my nephew! ;) )

Spoken like a true Uncle or father for that matter! Been there done that on both sides of the equation!

Shug
09-29-2009, 15:36
The Rock Jock rocks...... that is "Dude" speak. But I am to old to be Dude-ish.

As I intend to shoot a movie for members on here to see and enjoy .....

Please let me know if any of you DO NOT want to be in the video. It will not hurt my feelings and I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable. Promise to edit you out if that is the case.

Would love to video gear and such and of course my sophmoric play by play. Also want to show the splendor of our Linville Gorge.

I still hope to get up mid-day on Monday if all falls true.
Looking ever so forward to it!!!!!!!
Shug

slowhike
09-29-2009, 15:46
I was hoping we would have some fun times on video to put out for the other HF members to see!!!:D
One piece of recently acquired gear I would like HF members to see in more detail is the new HF hat!!!
It's my favorite hat now!!! Not just because it says HF.net, but because of the quality! It is well made, holds it's shape & the embroidery is top notch!

Running Feather
09-29-2009, 15:53
I'll just wear my fake nose and glasses.

slowhike
09-29-2009, 16:00
I'll just wear my fake nose and glasses.

:lol::D My nose is big enough that people think it's fake:eek::lol:

Hawk-eye
09-29-2009, 16:09
Get to be in a SHUG PRODUCTION??? That's alright ... my daughter might even think I'm cool after that! Ha!

mtncmpr
09-29-2009, 20:02
The Rock Jock rocks...... that is "Dude" speak. But I am to old to be Dude-ish.

As I intend to shoot a movie for members on here to see and enjoy .....

Please let me know if any of you DO NOT want to be in the video. It will not hurt my feelings and I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable. Promise to edit you out if that is the case.

Would love to video gear and such and of course my sophmoric play by play. Also want to show the splendor of our Linville Gorge.

I still hope to get up mid-day on Monday if all falls true.
Looking ever so forward to it!!!!!!!
Shug

Hey Shug... If I should be "discovered" (from being in your film), will I owe you a fee? :shades:

MacEntyre
09-29-2009, 20:21
We ought to bring as many cameras, video and still, as we can!

I don't have a video camera... anyone else have one they are willing to bring?

Hedcase
09-29-2009, 21:00
you guys are making this trip sound great!! If all are welcome, I would really like to see this place with people that have knowledge of the area. I even did a search for livermush!! Ya'll have a festival for livermush somewhere!! This has got to be some good stuff!! I might be able to figure out a way to get a few sweet potato pies to the campsite for dessert on the first night. Will trade food for guided hike!:D If all are welcome, count me in! Leave out sunday, I think a 10 hour drive.

slowhike
09-29-2009, 21:50
you guys are making this trip sound great!! If all are welcome, I would really like to see this place with people that have knowledge of the area. I even did a search for livermush!! Ya'll have a festival for livermush somewhere!! This has got to be some good stuff!! I might be able to figure out a way to get a few sweet potato pies to the campsite for dessert on the first night. Will trade food for guided hike!:D If all are welcome, count me in! Leave out sunday, I think a 10 hour drive.

Sweet potato pies... bring it on!!! More than welcome.
MacEntire, the only video camera I have is an Olympus 720SW. Not wonderful on video quality, but not to bad. I plan to have it there.

Shug
09-29-2009, 22:25
I performed at the Livermush Fest in Shelby, NC years ago........ it does exist!
Sweet 'tater pie ..... Oh do come!!!!!!
Shug

Shug
09-29-2009, 22:27
:lol::D My nose is big enough that people think it's fake:eek::lol:
Great actors have huge noggins .... you may have potential......:laugh:

Get to be in a SHUG PRODUCTION??? That's alright ... my daughter might even think I'm cool after that! Ha!
I thought you were a cool-cat. All daughters think Dads are dorks .... wonderful Dorks though.

Hey Shug... If I should be "discovered" (from being in your film), will I owe you a fee? :shades:
I will allow you to brew me a cocoa if that were to happen......... hope it happens!

Hawk-eye
09-30-2009, 01:27
Just arrived Pudong in a rain storm left over from the typhoons south of China.
Checked into the airport Ramada and got a free room upgrade!!!!
The lobby has Guinness extra stout!
Life is getting better!!!

That means in less than 27 hours from now the exceptionally (when flying west) fine people from United will be carrying my old arse that much closer to the Gorge!!!! I'm as tickled as can be!!!!!!!!!!!! Who knows I might even get an upgrade on the flight!!! :D

Don't even care ... going home to the blonde, the dogs and NC!

Shug
09-30-2009, 01:38
May your flight be smooth and direct.
Oh .... it is good ain't it?

Hawk-eye
09-30-2009, 02:03
May your flight be smooth and direct.
Oh .... it is good ain't it?

Absolutely!

Ken
09-30-2009, 04:45
Have a safe trip Michael. You will find the weather has improved (cooler) while you were away. See you soon.

Ken

Hawk-eye
09-30-2009, 04:49
Thanks Ken ... good to hear. Only negative so far is paypal limited my account when I tried to order my KAQ. Seems the fixed on this Chinese IP and flagged it as unauthorized access. Have to use a call back to get it lifted and they don't do Chinese cells! Ha ... oh well ... they open in a couple hours maybe I can get a real person!

You guys enjoy that weather. Heading up your way Saturday for the nieces birthday party ... and Monday to visit Kincaid ... maybe we can grab a sam'ich or something for lunch Monday pal!

MacEntyre
09-30-2009, 04:51
Good grief, Hawk-eye, when do you sleep?

You new pack looks great! See you Friday!

- MacEntyre

Hawk-eye
09-30-2009, 04:57
Sometimes I sleeps and sometimes I don't ... :)

Hey it's day time over here pal! Almost dinner time actually. Going to have a weird pizza (got corn and stuff on it) ... weird ... but kinda tasty ... and a cold Guinness Stout ... and watch two pretty Phillipino ladies sing really bad country music. Same ones that were here last trip. But they try.

See you Friday pal ... looking forward to some Q ... I'll give you a call unless you want to set a time up now to meet.