PDA

View Full Version : Painting your hammock

Cedar1974
10-25-2014, 06:07
I know this might sound strange, but has anyone tried painting their hammock just for esthetic purposes. I'd love to make a special hammock for Burning man sometimes so I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so how did you paint it?

Turtle Creek
10-25-2014, 06:26
Not me. Just thinking you may be better off experimenting with some sort of dye. Paint seems like it will quickly flake. Just my .02

FLRider
10-25-2014, 06:46
Dye would likely be a better route, both for longevity and comfort (paint, even fabric paint, has a tendency to be stiffer than most of the fabrics used in camping hammocks).

However, if you really want to decorate your hammock, I'd recommend doing a double layer (the inner for structural support and the outer to show off your creativity). That way, you could add pretty much whatever you wanted without compromising the ability of the hammock to keep you off of the ground. Obviously, this is going to add weight, so I wouldn't recommend it for a backpacking rig. But if you're just humping it a couple hundred yards from a parking lot...well...

Cedar1974
10-25-2014, 06:58
Wel, I was thinking of doign this for the Burning Man festival some day. Maybe I can use an applique type thing, like cuttign a flame pattern out of scaps of Nylon and set it to the under layer.

Bushwhacker
10-25-2014, 10:25
Wouldn't it be possible to silk screen it? Or use some sort of spray paint?

IRONFISH45
10-25-2014, 10:28
Try this company http://www.dharmatrading.com/ I have used them for many years, their products are fresh and the shipping is fast and accurate.

I would use dye, because it is absorbed into the fibres. Personally I do not like paint, because it is stiff, may flake off and it fades quicker than most dye. Dharma is the go to place for a lot of artists and have been in business since the late 60's. Small, family owned, I call them for help or suggestions, I get the information I need form a person who understands what I want to accomplish, I do not get a script read to me.

I am going to decorate my tarp with birds in flight, just for the heck of it. My main concern is some Gull using the tarp for target practice.

You could buy some banners and put them up to mark your site for the Burning Man. We made tall banners to mark our site when it is appropriate, fun and distinctive, states this site is in use.

Bushwhacker
10-25-2014, 10:30
Just use paints specifically designed for nylon (if that's what your hammock is made of - what hammock do you have?)

https://www.google.com/search?q=nylon+paint&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

sdjkfhwexdf
10-25-2014, 12:38
Build a hammock from Tyvek. Its strong enough and can easily painted.

I use it for a Bunch of DiY-Gear and paint it with dispersion paint for walls or acrylic artist paint to make camouflage Tyvek.

Have fun :-)

WhollyHamaca
10-25-2014, 15:07
Hey, Cedar -- I did this long ago on my very first couple of hammocks, with both paints and applique. If I do it again I'll make the designs on a UQ instead, because the UQ will cover up designs on the hammock. Or decorate the outer layer of a 2-layer if you don't need UQ. My decorated ones were nylon, but as sdjkfhwexdf says, Tyvek does indeed take paint well.
Anyway, here's what I did, and I was happy with the results:
Paint:
I used fabric paints and fabric markers free-hand and with stencils, then heat-set with an iron & press-cloth. Quick and easy. It has held up for many washings, hasn't faded or flaked, but it did stiffen the fabric a little at first. Both the paints and the markers worked well on nylon. My grand-daughter has it now for a toy-hammock (too worn out to sleep in but still colorful).
Fabric DYES are so liquid you'll probably have trouble controlling sharp edges of designs. I've tried adding various wash-away thickeners and resists but the dyes still seep and mingle a bit. I liked the hammock I painted with dyes. The colors blended together at the edges, so it may not be the effect you're going for. Look in an artist supply store (or Dharma as Ironfish45 says) for air-brush fabric dyes that you can use undiluted, straight out of the bottle with brushes or pens. Nylon takes commonly available dyes; read the labels if you want to use them on poly.
What doesn't work: The colors of "permanent" office-supply markers fade after just a few washings. That's OK if just for a special occasion, but I wouldn't waste the effort if I wanted it to last. And latex wall/house paint dries stiff and rubbery, peels and flakes.

Cut-out appliques:
I'd be cautious about sewing anything onto the weight-bearing parts of the hammock to avoid creating weak spots. Recommend to sew or glue your cut-out shapes on the outer layer of a 2-layer hammock, or on your UQ.
I used Aleene's no-sew fabric glue to applique some shiny gold lame' cut-out stars on my second nylon hammock. It dried level & flexible, held up well for many washings. I think I heat-set it in the dryer (or I might have ironed it; don't remember). After a few years the hammock tore but the glued-on stars are still on it. Made the remains into my grandson's wizard cape.

Please post pics of your ***flaming hot*** hammock when you finish it! (Red, orange, gold lame' flame cut-outs on black?)

Cedar1974
10-25-2014, 19:40
Hey, Cedar -- I did this long ago on my very first couple of hammocks, with both paints and applique. If I do it again I'll make the designs on a UQ instead, because the UQ will cover up designs on the hammock. Or decorate the outer layer of a 2-layer if you don't need UQ. My decorated ones were nylon, but as sdjkfhwexdf says, Tyvek does indeed take paint well.
Anyway, here's what I did, and I was happy with the results:
Paint:
I used fabric paints and fabric markers free-hand and with stencils, then heat-set with an iron & press-cloth. Quick and easy. It has held up for many washings, hasn't faded or flaked, but it did stiffen the fabric a little at first. Both the paints and the markers worked well on nylon. My grand-daughter has it now for a toy-hammock (too worn out to sleep in but still colorful).
Fabric DYES are so liquid you'll probably have trouble controlling sharp edges of designs. I've tried adding various wash-away thickeners and resists but the dyes still seep and mingle a bit. I liked the hammock I painted with dyes. The colors blended together at the edges, so it may not be the effect you're going for. Look in an artist supply store (or Dharma as Ironfish45 says) for air-brush fabric dyes that you can use undiluted, straight out of the bottle with brushes or pens. Nylon takes commonly available dyes; read the labels if you want to use them on poly.
What doesn't work: The colors of "permanent" office-supply markers fade after just a few washings. That's OK if just for a special occasion, but I wouldn't waste the effort if I wanted it to last. And latex wall/house paint dries stiff and rubbery, peels and flakes.

Cut-out appliques:
I'd be cautious about sewing anything onto the weight-bearing parts of the hammock to avoid creating weak spots. Recommend to sew or glue your cut-out shapes on the outer layer of a 2-layer hammock, or on your UQ.
I used Aleene's no-sew fabric glue to applique some shiny gold lame' cut-out stars on my second nylon hammock. It dried level & flexible, held up well for many washings. I think I heat-set it in the dryer (or I might have ironed it; don't remember). After a few years the hammock tore but the glued-on stars are still on it. Made the remains into my grandson's wizard cape.

Please post pics of your ***flaming hot*** hammock when you finish it! (Red, orange, gold lame' flame cut-outs on black?)

Actually I think you are right that making the flames on an UQ would be better, that way I can still have my dual layer rainbow hammock I plan on making then make a flame UQ to keep me warm.

Cedar1974
10-25-2014, 19:49
http://store.magnafabrics.com/Cargo_Chute-30_Denier_Nylon_White_Ripstop_99_cent_a_Yard.html

I am thinking of getting some of this to use as my inner layer for both my Rainbow Quilt and maybe for my UQ, would take the paint better than black I think.

WhollyHamaca
10-25-2014, 20:55
Yeah, that should work and can't beat the price. It looks like it's sold as a minimum 300 yd bolt. That's a lot of hammocks; maybe a group buy?
One of my painted hammocks was a rainbow, too! I used fabric dyes & a sponge brush, and the colors bled a little for a transition between each stripe. I may need to do something like that again. Can't wait to see how yours comes out, also those flames! I mentioned black only because the flames would really stand out on it. Hot, hot, hot, perfect for Burning Man!

OCDave
10-25-2014, 22:38
Have you seen these: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896815477/the-elevated-movement-custom-recycled-beautiful-ha

Credit to Forum member Gresh for originally posting this here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/91208-The-Elevated-Movement-Kickstarter-Contest

Cedar1974
10-26-2014, 04:00
Have you seen these: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896815477/the-elevated-movement-custom-recycled-beautiful-ha

Credit to Forum member Gresh for originally posting this here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/91208-The-Elevated-Movement-Kickstarter-Contest

https://www.facebook.com/TheElevatedMovement

Yeah, I don't think so. I mean it was a cool idea and all, but looking at his facebook, people are pissed with the poor service. Also their website is down, which doesn't bode well. Also he just barely made the kickstarter goal, so I have a feeling this company is going to go the way of golite.

WhollyHamaca
10-26-2014, 15:24
Too bad he can't get his business in order. I wonder what company in SC he's using to print them, since it says on the KickStarter post that they'll print just one of a custom design. Anyway, I can dye/paint my own to my liking for pennies. Some of his are crazy detailed, fun for craft and music festivals, I guess, but the designs get lost in the hanging hammock.

x PREACHER x
10-26-2014, 23:05
After a few years the hammock tore but the glued-on stars are still on it. Made the remains into my grandson's wizard cape.

Man I love awesome grandparents. :)

Smithereens
10-27-2014, 00:54
Well, I know from building skin on frame kayaks that ballistic nylon takes latex paint very well.... it makes a fantastic kayak skin that is tough and water proof. I really doubt that it would work well on a hammock though. Somewhere around here I have test samples of nylon and heavy canvas that I treated with both latex and polyurethane. All combinations came out rigid (really, it's not too different than laying up fiberglass).
YMMV....

Cedar1974
10-27-2014, 05:43
Well, I know from building skin on frame kayaks that ballistic nylon takes latex paint very well.... it makes a fantastic kayak skin that is tough and water proof. I really doubt that it would work well on a hammock though. Somewhere around here I have test samples of nylon and heavy canvas that I treated with both latex and polyurethane. All combinations came out rigid (really, it's not too different than laying up fiberglass).
YMMV....

Actually, you may have jut given me an idea for the tarp. I was going to dye it orange to make sure hunters see me, but if I were to use orange latex paint I could kill two burds with one stone, coloring and waterproofing. I'll have to test it first, but this could work out.

FLRider
10-27-2014, 08:00
Actually, you may have jut given me an idea for the tarp. I was going to dye it orange to make sure hunters see me, but if I were to use orange latex paint I could kill two burds with one stone, coloring and waterproofing. I'll have to test it first, but this could work out.

While I'd be interested to see how that turns out, I would think that it would result in a stiff, not-very-packable, fairly heavy tarp. I could be wrong, though, so if it turns out well, let us know!

WhollyHamaca
10-27-2014, 08:57
Man I love awesome grandparents. :)
It's really all about loving the awesome grandkids!

Re. latex paint: I forgot about waterproofing with latex. Did that once in a pinch to cover a craft fair booth. Colorful but heavy & stiff, as you say, but if it works for kayaks it could be fun to make a coracle! For the tarp, though, I'd dye the nylon first, then diy sil, not latex paint.
http://kurungabaa.net/2010/11/02/corougle-corracle-curricle-and-coricle-the-coracle/

gospidey
10-27-2014, 11:13
Too bad he can't get his business in order. I wonder what company in SC he's using to print them, since it says on the KickStarter post that they'll print just one of a custom design. Anyway, I can dye/paint my own to my liking for pennies. Some of his are crazy detailed, fun for craft and music festivals, I guess, but the designs get lost in the hanging hammock.

Yeah, I bought into that and spent 6 months playing the squeaky wheel to finally get it. Not a bad hammock, but not worth the headache.

Wholyhamca, How hot can you set the temperature on your Iron or heat gun to for setting paint on the nylon before it melts? Thanks.

WhollyHamaca
10-27-2014, 19:26
Whollyhamaca, How hot can you set the temperature on your Iron or heat gun to for setting paint on the nylon before it melts? Thanks.

I don't know the temp, but it doesn't need to be very hot. I used an ordinary household clothes iron and a linen press cloth (really just an old calendar tea towel). Use the iron DRY, No steam! The press cloth keeps the iron from getting the nylon fabric too hot, also keeps any glue or paint residue off the iron's sole-plate. If you can, try your iron temp first on a scrap piece of your hammock material. You can't always trust the guides on the iron. Some of the paints and glues suggest on the label to heat-set in a clothes dryer. Safer than an iron, but you still want to watch it. I set my dryer on medium and it's fine for nylon and poly. Your dryer temps may be different, so YMMV. I guess you could use a hair dryer, too, especially for small jobs. Why didn't I think of that before?!?

I bet a thin smear of silicon seal would work well as a fabric glue for patching and applique on nylon or poly. No need to heat-set. Probably hard to control without oozing out the edges for small bits of slick nylon, though. I know it works to patch my ratty old Cordura firewood-cutting jacket (the wildlife around my place are embarrassed to be seen with me)

gospidey
10-27-2014, 20:51
thanks WhollyHamaka, I'll do some experimenting.