PDA

View Full Version : wheeler and wilson

miyanc
10-29-2014, 14:00
Anyone know about a wheeler and wilson d-9 # 2932587. Treadle machine with cabinet. It needs some work but in good shape.

miyanc
10-29-2014, 15:08
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/4/5/1/8/20141029_150055.jpg

miyanc
10-29-2014, 15:33
It actually looks like its a w9, although it say d-9 on the plate. From what I can gather its maybe pre singer because the serial number is less then 300000 or so. My question is about parts and such. The table is in good shape. It has accessories in the drawers. Not sure how much it is just yet. They are going to price it and maybe call me.

What should it be worth? Is it worth fixing?

Mouseskowitz
10-29-2014, 19:47
WW was bought by Singer for some of their patents. For a couple of years Singer just rebadged the D-9 and sold it as their own. I think they have a rotary hook of some variety instead of the more common shuttle of the time. I've seen a couple for sale personally and a friend who is into treadles has several. Looking on eBay will give you the best idea on parts availability. Worth it is in they eyes of the beholder. If you enjoy treadles and the price is right then yes. If you're looking to turn it around for a profit, good luck.

miyanc
10-29-2014, 21:48
WW was bought by Singer for some of their patents. For a couple of years Singer just rebadged the D-9 and sold it as their own. I think they have a rotary hook of some variety instead of the more common shuttle of the time. I've seen a couple for sale personally and a friend who is into treadles has several. Looking on eBay will give you the best idea on parts availability. Worth it is in they eyes of the beholder. If you enjoy treadles and the price is right then yes. If you're looking to turn it around for a profit, good luck.

I fully understand. Its only worth what someone will pay for it. I like it for the history. I have done some reading. I have checked ebay and it seems that 40 is what a old broken one like this is. Maybe 250 to 500 for nice looking, working machine. It seemed to work. I am sure there is a difference to between going thru the motions and being able to sew. We shall see tomorrow.

Mouseskowitz
10-29-2014, 22:19
Maybe 250 to 500 for nice looking, working machine.

Asking or selling price? I just saw a Singer 66 red eye on CL the other day for $700, but I don't know that it's worth much more than $70. I picked up a Davis Vertical Feed a couple weeks ago. I probably overpaid by $20, but it's something I really wanted and is worth it to me. I would be slightly surprised if your WW doesn't sew.

gmcttr
10-29-2014, 22:25
..Maybe 250 to 500 for nice looking, working machine...

Just so you know. From my observations, there are a couple of ebay sellers that know how to oil/clean/coat (or something) machines to make them look fantastic in the small ebay photos and people seem to pay them an obscene amount for anything. I don't think you or I would get anywhere near the same price for an equally impressive machine.

Asking or selling price?...

There are a couple of sellers that get those prices.

Example...http://www.ebay.com/usr/rjones9500?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rjones9500/m.html?item=350835043425&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I've seen his machines go for much more than the current listing.

miyanc
10-30-2014, 07:15
Just so you know. From my observations, there are a couple of ebay sellers that know how to oil/clean/coat (or something) machines to make them look fantastic in the small ebay photos and people seem to pay them an obscene amount for anything. I don't think you or I would get anywhere near the same price for an equally impressive machine.

I don't see myself as the type to be able to fully restore a machine. It would require parts, tools and skills I don't have at this time. I know the market for these machines is not very broad. I most likely would fix it and keep it.

There are a couple of sellers that get those prices.

Example...http://www.ebay.com/usr/rjones9500?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rjones9500/m.html?item=350835043425&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I've seen his machines go for much more than the current listing.

Gresh
10-30-2014, 10:00
You might send a message to forum user SweetMusic - she's something of a vintage machine enthusiast (when I say "something of an enthusiast" I mean "obsessive") and I guarantee she'd be glad to help or walk you through the process of restoration on this machine (or beastie, as she'd call it).

miyanc
10-30-2014, 15:23
You might send a message to forum user SweetMusic - she's something of a vintage machine enthusiast (when I say "something of an enthusiast" I mean "obsessive") and I guarantee she'd be glad to help or walk you through the process of restoration on this machine (or beastie, as she'd call it).

I will do that, thanks.

At this point they are asking 100. So I am passing until they come down.