PDA

View Full Version : Footbox on both sides?

Stavros
11-03-2014, 14:49
Has anyone tried to add a footbox on both sides of a hammock?
I move a lot in my hammock and I would really like to have a footbox on each side but I donīt know if it is possible to do.

What do you think about this?
Is it possible?
What can go wrong?

ShellHammock
11-03-2014, 14:56
First I'd ask why you want a foot box in the first place?

Is it to keep your feet from falling out? or to permanently assign your lay angle? There are several other 'things' that can be done to achieve that besides sewing on a small triangle of fabric along the hem of a hammock body.

Warbonnet's foot box, for example, is there just to keep the stress off the bug net, and so the net 'looks good'.

nuttysquirrel
11-03-2014, 14:56
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/29560-Stretch-Side-Hammock

Stavros
11-03-2014, 15:01
The bungee "foot-box" was cool.
I might try to do that on both sides to see how it works

ShellHammock
11-03-2014, 15:44
The bungee "foot-box" was cool.
I might try to do that on both sides to see how it works

i was gonna suggest that. the 'knotty mod' is a popular option. but if you do squirm and move around a lot when you sleep and need a foot box to keep your feet from flopping out, i'd suggest gathering the end of the hammock in such a way that you pull the ends tight. It will be much more rigid and supportive for the 'squirmer'.

I prefer to pull no more than 3" of each side, on each end. The Streamliner by Simply Light Designs accomplishes this sort of thing with the use of cat-cut sides and reverse cat-cut end channels. The draw back of this design, however, is you feel those tight edges when you dangle your legs over the sides in chair mode and a bit when you get in and out of the hammock; but it lets you know where the edges are!

Boston
11-03-2014, 16:32
Warbonnet's foot box, for example, is there just to keep the stress off the bug net, and so the net 'looks good'.

Respectfully, I would disagree with this statement. Having played a lot with footboxes before switching to bridge hammocks, the footbox (as warbonnet does it) essentially allows full use of the fabric width (your feet can go right to the edge of the main body). It also shape's the hammock slightly, by allowing the hammock fabric to drop lower at this point than it normally would be, allowing a flatter lay.

The problem with 2 foot boxes is it shortens the long edge of the hammock, making it more of a "bowl" shape. Getting in and out of a hammock with 2 sewn in footboxes would be very difficult without tearing a seam.

What are you trying to accomplish with 2 footboxes? Just being able to switch sides?

If you just want to contain your topquilt/sleeping bag then a stretchy footbox will work, but it wont have the shaping effect (or not as much, depending on how designed). This should allow you to put 2 on 1 hammock. Might be better to just do an integrated bug net at that point, however.

ShellHammock
11-03-2014, 16:51
Respectfully, I would disagree with this statement. Having played a lot with footboxes before switching to bridge hammocks, the footbox (as warbonnet does it) essentially allows full use of the fabric width (your feet can go right to the edge of the main body). It also shape's the hammock slightly, by allowing the hammock fabric to drop lower at this point than it normally would

I only say that about the WB footbox because i feel like i read it here a long time ago from Brandon himself... straight from the horse's mouth, but i could be mistaken; although it makes sense what you are saying. But what's stopping your feet from going to the edge of the main body in a hammock w/out a footbox? do you mean to say you can do so more comfortably/confidently (w/out risking your feet falling out)??

What about the XLC, which is essentially the same design as the BB? The 'footbox' is zipped off with the overcover, making the 'footbox' a part of the overcover, not the hammock. I wonder if one would be able to feel a difference in the lay of that hammock with the overcover attached and not attached?

Boston
11-03-2014, 19:06
Yeah, thays pretty much it. With a footbox my heel can be right on the seam. Without the footbox youd be falling out of the hammock.

As for the XLC, I've never seen one, but I'd expect it'd work the same way.

hutzelbein
11-04-2014, 11:01

I'm pretty sure it has been done, but I haven't read any account on it here. A hammock with head and footbox is on my DIY list, but I'm not sure the headbox is really needed. I would cut the fabric triangle more shallow to make entrance and exit easier.

Or were you talking about a hammock with footboxes left and right in the foot area? To facilitate sleeping in both directions? I'm not sure this would be a good idea, because the footbox as done by Warbonnet and UK Hammocks definitely shapes the hammock body. I think you would lose that if you would do it left and right in the same end of the hammock.

Here is another interesting approach that would help keeping stuff in the hammock while keeping the sides flexible:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/46195-Video-Stretchable-Footbox
I think this method changes the lay of the hammock least. The Knotty mod or shortening the sides of the hammock body both reinforce the natural hammock curvature while the Warbonnet footbox straightens things out (which is why I prefer it).

I only say that about the WB footbox because i feel like i read it here a long time ago from Brandon himself... straight from the horse's mouth, but i could be mistaken; although it makes sense what you are saying. But what's stopping your feet from going to the edge of the main body in a hammock w/out a footbox? do you mean to say you can do so more comfortably/confidently (w/out risking your feet falling out)??

You are not mistaken, Brandon has said this several times (e.g. here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/12761-Travellerwith-a-footbox-or-netless-blackbird)). However, I disagree with him. For me, the footbox does several things:

It keeps my feet and my sleeping bag from going over the edge.
By doing so, it lets me have my feet a lot closer to the edge comfortably than any hammock. With netless hammocks you wouldn't go this close to the edge because your feet will go over the edge, and with other integrated hammocks (no footbox) the net is usually not cut in a way as to allow you to have the feet in that location without a lot of pressure. I find going close to the edge improves comfort for me. Obviously, other people might see it differently.
The footbox pulls the hammock fabric together, creating a kind of channel that seems to counteract the calf ridge and hammock curvature. Yes, my body weight would do something similar (as Brandon says), but not to that extent. My legs are not heavy enough to create a channel that deep. The footbox takes the pressure off, too.

ShellHammock
11-04-2014, 11:44
You are not mistaken, Brandon has said this several times (e.g. here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/12761-Travellerwith-a-footbox-or-netless-blackbird)). However, I disagree with him. For me, the footbox does several things:

It keeps my feet and my sleeping bag from going over the edge.
By doing so, it lets me have my feet a lot closer to the edge comfortably than any hammock. With netless hammocks you wouldn't go this close to the edge because your feet will go over the edge, and with other integrated hammocks (no footbox) the net is usually not cut in a way as to allow you to have the feet in that location without a lot of pressure. I find going close to the edge improves comfort for me. Obviously, other people might see it differently.
The footbox pulls the hammock fabric together, creating a kind of channel that seems to counteract the calf ridge and hammock curvature. Yes, my body weight would do something similar (as Brandon says), but not to that extent. My legs are not heavy enough to create a channel that deep. The footbox takes the pressure off, too.

Ahhhhh, nice explanation!

I move a lot in my hammock and I would really like to have a footbox on each side but I donīt know if it is possible to do.

Tying this back to the OP's question... I think you should try adding a 'footbox' to both sides, maybe even all 4 sides! Attaching it to a net or topper (either no-see-um or fabric) and using a full length zipper like the XLC or the DH could make for a nice flat lay, no matter what sleeping position you choose. Otherwise, attaching the footbox to the hammock itself would create too much stress on the material getting in and out, as Boston noted.

OutandBack
11-04-2014, 11:57
OP you could try a hammock like the Tree to Tree Trail Gear Switchback.
It has no head end, left or right lay requires no footbox and to top it off 0 calfridge pressure.
You don't need to raise the foot end higher so you can switch from right to left lay and even change your head end if the view is better.
There is also no wall of fabric in your face. The hang angle is very forgiving. I've had a perfect night sleep with 20-35 degrees.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/11452687393_9881166882.jpg

IMO the only con to this hammock is the weight do to the very large net that can't be removed.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/11760843714_9538c77b0b.jpg

hutzelbein
11-04-2014, 11:57
Tying this back to the OP's question... I think you should try adding a 'footbox' to both sides, maybe even all 4 sides! Attaching it to a net or topper (either no-see-um or fabric) and using a full length zipper like the XLC or the DH could make for a nice flat lay, no matter what sleeping position you choose. Otherwise, attaching the footbox to the hammock itself would create too much stress on the material getting in and out, as Boston noted.

I don't want to keep the OP from trying (and hopefully posting about it), but I strongly doubt that 4 footboxes or even 2 footboxes on the same end (either head or foot) would achieve a good lay. The reason why the footbox works so well is that it creates a channel. By adding another footbox directly opposite, I think you would cancel this out, because the fabric needs to spread on the opposite side. My guess is, if you would do 4 footboxes, you would get a ridge in the middle (because this would be the longest part of the hammock that is taking all of the weight) and the sides would slightly fall away left and right.

hutzelbein
11-04-2014, 11:59
OP you could try a hammock like the Tree to Tree Trail Gear Switchback.
It has no head end, left or right lay requires no footbox and to top it off 0 calfridge pressure.
You don't need to raise the foot end higher so you can switch from right to left lay and even change your head end if the view is better.
There is also no wall of fabric in your face.

How does it do that? I'm intrigued.

Snowball
11-04-2014, 14:05
How does it do that? I'm intrigued.

+1
I finished a Streamliner look alike hammock with some mods this weekend and I have to lift my legs for the feet to go over the edge. The cat-cut is 4 ū”. I won’t say it’s impossible get the feet’s over the edge in your sleep but I think it will take some skills ;)

I was convinced a bug net was more or less mandatory in Lapland? An integrated bug net would solve your problem.