PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed beyond belief

SwampSloth
11-04-2014, 12:51
As an organizer of the LA hang, we decided to to order a Bias hammock as part of our door prize giveaway. Our hang was almost a month ago and we still have not received the hammock ordered 2 months ago. Not even a returned email. What kind of service is that?

spaceweaseal
11-04-2014, 12:57
That does bite, just think of the guy that won the hammock..:-(

Jazilla
11-04-2014, 13:56
3 emails to date and not one response. Not even a word saying we behind but we gonna get it to you guys eventually. Extremely disappointed in the customer service of Bias here.

murphyw
11-04-2014, 14:02
Hi SwampSloth,

I'm having a small-world moment here. Was just thinking about ordering from BIAS for a bug net. Then realized we have some friends in common. You know CoyoteBec and Gumby or Critter and RxR? I was on the AT in '06 and hiked more than a mile with each of them. They know me as 'Pi'.

Let us know how it comes out with that hammock. I've never been disappointed by a small ("cottage") gear shop, but I suppose there is always a first time.

Thanks!

BillyBob58
11-04-2014, 14:22
Hi SwampSloth,

I'm having a small-world moment here. Was just thinking about ordering from BIAS for a bug net. Then realized we have some friends in common. You know CoyoteBec and Gumby or Critter and RxR? I was on the AT in '06 and hiked more than a mile with each of them. They know me as 'Pi'.

Let us know how it comes out with that hammock. I've never been disappointed by a small ("cottage") gear shop, but I suppose there is always a first time.

Thanks!

There have been a fair # of folks disappointed with at least 1(and possibly more but I only know of one for sure) cottage gear maker. And if memory serves, that company used to get overall raves- service and quality- from almost all at HF who were his customers, which included me. Until one day the whole thing did a 180. I don't know if that company ever did recover it's reputation around here. Seems like occasionally a noob will stumble in here and order a piece of gear, failing to ask about or do a search on that company. Then here comes another thread, similar to this thread. But in this case this is the 1st I recall. Has anyone else been doing business with BIAS lately? Have they been having good results?

SilvrSurfr
11-04-2014, 14:36
They used to have excellent customer service but it seems these complaints are popping up a bit more lately.

OneClick
11-04-2014, 14:45
I never purchased from them. Is there a phone number? I use e-mail 99% of the time, and while I always have success getting thru, I don't always rely on it. It can accidentally get into the junk folder, possibly undelivered without you knowing, lost in emailville, etc.

TallPaul
11-04-2014, 14:50
As an organizer of the LA hang, we decided to to order a Bias hammock as part of our door prize giveaway. Our hang was almost a month ago and we still have not received the hammock ordered 2 months ago. Not even a returned email. What kind of service is that?

3 emails to date and not one response. Not even a word saying we behind but we gonna get it to you guys eventually. Extremely disappointed in the customer service of Bias here.

what happened when you called? I see their phone #'s listed on the site.

SwampSloth
11-04-2014, 15:08
I was at the Arkansas hang with one of the partners back in March. He expressed concerns with his partner but said they were working things out and should be back on step. In a gesture of friendship and trust we decided to give them a chance. Now we cant even get a reply. I wonder if they will avoid us at hangs as well?

tncamper
11-04-2014, 16:50
That would have been me swampaloth. I have been running ragged trying to keep up with what is going on. If there is a late one out there it has to be a micro or hiker lite. Brian makes those and I cant even get him to let me know what has and hasn't shipped. Im hoping he shows up in a couple of nights to hash some things out. One way or another there will be some changes made.

To respond to the no responses, the first email on the site is Brian's. (He doesn't return mine either) I do not have areas to the site (thats going to change) if anyone needs to catch me, my email is in my tag, or my number is 901-569-2314. I do work in a courtroom and cant take calls but I will return voicemails.

Please don't think this is MY business practice. I have been working with someone to help me construct a site as soon as I can get in to the current one.

Anyone with orders hanging, PLEASE let me know as i am up on all other orders.

With sincere apologies,
Shane

Gresh
11-04-2014, 17:02
+1 for Shane and BIAS on the whole. I've only ever dealt with Shane, I think and he's on the ball and very attentive. Shame when things go sour but it happens and I wouldn't let it turn my stomach on BIAS on the whole if Shane picks up and runs with it.

SilvrSurfr
11-04-2014, 17:05
Thanks, Shane. Interesting situation you have there. I hope you get it all worked out with the partnership, division of labor, website, etc. When you guys went into business together, your customer service was stellar and I didn't hesitate to recommend your products. Kinda breaks my heart to see that reputation get tarnished.

BillyBob58
11-04-2014, 17:28
Obviously something going on. Thx Shane for filling us in and hope you get it worked out soon.

TallPaul
11-04-2014, 17:35
Yes best of luck to all involved here

oldgringo
11-04-2014, 18:01
Shane is a good guy; he deserves the support of the community as he restructures.

Brian is a good guy, too. I know them both, and have been saddened as I watch this unfold. So what I'm saying is, send prayers, vibes, karma, whatever to both of them. I wish you well.

SwampSloth
11-04-2014, 18:51
It's sad that after 8 months things haven't progressed for you. Having to wear someone else's dirty underwear can't be fun. At this point we'd just like a refund. We no longer need the hammock.

drifter
11-04-2014, 20:40
Wait a minute Sloth you got yours, I’m in no hurry. I only have five others to choose from, but it would be nice to have one of those also.

SwampSloth
11-04-2014, 20:46
Haha drifter. This is all about the hammock you won.

drifter
11-05-2014, 07:56
Yea I know, but weather I get my hammy or not, I hope these guys can work out their issues. A friendship is a terrible thing to loose. Because in the end it’s your friends that count not stuff.

ripstopbytheroll
11-05-2014, 21:11
That REALLY sucks but I've been there too. If there's one thing that eats at me more than anything it's lack of communication. Between partners, with a vendor, or whatever. Just return my phone call man!! Hope you get things sorted out.

If you need any help with the site, seriously give me a shout. You could get everything aside from the URL duplicated in one day and be back in business.

steveflinn
11-06-2014, 00:56
It's been two months for me, also. I'm gonna stick with it a while, see if it pans out. I don't start the PCT until April, after all. Worse comes to worst, I'll take my Snipe and nuke a whale for the Shah.

===============

update: today i got a call from Shane who explained he's experienced a hiccup in his business and is now on his own. he promised to make good within a short time. this will work for my schedule and i am sympathetic, having had similar experience in my own businesses in the all-too-recent past. these things happen.

Shane sounds like a good man and he did the responsible thing today. i am impressed with the apology (i'm actually kind of an expert on apologies and making good and forgiveness and all that).

he wants to stay in business and if he comes through i'll have no problem recommending him going forward.

Unitic
11-08-2014, 00:06
Just wanted to add that Shane gave me amazing service when I had an urgent need for some replacement gear on my AT thruhike in '13. I will definitely order from Shane and BIAS again.

IRONFISH45
11-08-2014, 00:24
I really appreciate the fact that this thread has touched on a delicate subject, everyone who has added their input did so in a adult fashion, no name calling, no nasty emotional comments, just polite caring dialog.

I think everyone involved feels a positive sense of relief, since the situation has been handled with care and sensitivity, the way adults should behave and seldom do.

tncamper
11-08-2014, 07:45
I really appreciate the fact that this thread has touched on a delicate subject, everyone who has added their input did so in a adult fashion, no name calling, no nasty emotional comments, just polite caring dialog.

I think everyone involved feels a positive sense of relief, since the situation has been handled with care and sensitivity, the way adults should behave and seldom do.

I was dreading making the calls yesterday as I don't know if I'd have been as understanding as some. Every single person I talked to was very understanding and didn't get upset with me. This along with what you said shows the nature of members of HF.

Hopefully within the next week a new site will be up (at least in the works). I was already finishing my upstairs to accomodate the family and increase my office/workspace so before long I should have things going a little smoother here as well. I am sure it will have an adjustment period, but I'll get on that after I get caught up.

Thanks again to everyone involved here for not blessing me out.

Shane

Dutch
11-08-2014, 08:18
Shane, I hope everything works out. If there is anything I can do, let me know. That is a serious offer and I am a good resource.

gunner76
11-09-2014, 16:49
Best of luck

tncamper
11-12-2014, 23:18
Thanks to all who have offered to give a hand. I still might take some of you up on that offer. Ive got someone working on switching the site over to me, but I am concentrating on getting some of the backlogged orders out as well. I am on my own at this point and hopefully the site transition will go smooth. I still have orders coming in and there shouldn't be any interruption there.

Shane

Gresh
11-13-2014, 00:02
With everything in your hands now, are you going to make BIAS a full-time endeavor?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

stevebo
11-13-2014, 07:44
Shane, good luck with your "new" venture---------I am so glad things worked out---and I am so impressed how this whole episode was handled on the forum----says so much about the quality of hammock forum people!

MadUncleAndy
11-14-2014, 16:42
Great news! +1 on Shane's customer service. I have only ever dealt with him at BIAS, but I have never been disappointed once.

tncamper
11-14-2014, 23:22
Just to give an update without emailing or calling everyone again. I've been hitting it HARD every evening this week. Not much progress on the site, but that's nominal at the moment. I had to really "batch" a lot of the orders in order to get the most out in a timely manner, so not many have shipped yet. I do expect to get a lot shipped Monday and hopefully be as up to date as possible by then.(maybe within a two week order time)

Gresh - I started a good county job last year with great benifits. Being a family man I need to stay there for a while, so BIAS will be a second/third business for me. I also do contract printing on the side. Last year when I left my old job, I had been in the printing business for 22+ yrs and had tons of my customers contact me with where to go or wanting to know if I could still handle their work so I've been doing that as well.

Thanks again for the encouragement everyone!

Shane

nooma
11-16-2014, 21:50
For what its worth, I order a suspension kit last week, and I did receive confirmation that it has been shipped. Only a few business days for a small business to process isn't too bad, so hopefully things are getting worked out.

tncamper
11-16-2014, 22:08
Thanks nooma, I've been busting my tail this week on the back ordered stuff and have 90% (or more) ready to drop at the post office. It took me over an hour to do the postage on everything tonight.:scared: Hopefully in the near future I'll have suskits in a "ready to ship" status again.

Anyone else that has an old order and didn't receive confermation on shipping tonight, please email or text me and I'll see what's going on.

Shane

steveflinn
11-22-2014, 21:31
got my entire order about 10 days after my last edit to this post. everything arrived and looks as awesome as advertised. haven't had a chance to test but i'm dying to get out there. Shane came through. seems the pipeline is cleared and BIAS is in business to stay.

THANK YOU Shane!

Tonykarter
11-24-2014, 21:21
Shane should attend next year, and bring several to compensate.

tncamper
11-25-2014, 01:09
Shane should attend next year, and bring several to compensate.

I'll do my best to make it. Hopefully by then my life will be a little more settled. (yeah right) Either way i will be more than glad to get some stuff yall's way!

Shane