PDA

View Full Version : Car Camping hammock

Mr_Sheesh
11-06-2014, 07:51
Hi all; First post in here I guess. Long story, but for now I just need a car camping hammock that's quite strong; Minimum costs within reason, and weight is a "not care" as we engineering types put it. I have been thinking of making my own, weaving it out of paracord as I am quite good with knots, and my sewing skills suck (to way understate things :P)

Was going to say that if a tablecloth hammock is better, though, I guess I can get using the sewing machine. Haven't done lots of hanging since the 80s, before the group of us knew what underquilts were etc., things have definitely improved.

Looking at Caveman's "DIY Tablecloth Hammock (the way I do it)" and Knotty's mods, though, no sewing needed and pretty fast? Hmmm, that might be a good answer... I can deal with the zingit concept, better than ropes that existed back then. And looks inexpensive all in all, my budget definitely bites. So I'm thinking of trying that. Have to see what's done for suspension, lots to learn, but then there always is :)

Is there a good post on "How it all ties together" for those coming back into this? Haven't caught it yet, but still reading. Thanks!

STinGa
11-06-2014, 08:00
Welcome to the site.

For cost and ease of getting to a complete hammock, using the table cloth method is very hard to beat. I don't have the time to search out the links for you, but take a few minutes to search the DIY section and you will find a couple of links for table cloth hammocks. Most will tell you to avoid using para cord, it stretches too much.

Or ... look at the Dutchware link ...> https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/100053-30-PolyD-Hammock-at-Dutchwaregear-com

STinGa

Ramblinrev
11-06-2014, 08:12
For cost and ease of getting to a complete hammock, using the table cloth method is very hard to beat.

Recently there have been numerous reports of the tablecloth fabric having catastrophic failures. If you want the DIY approach I would strongly suggest Dutch's blanks. Made by a guy who knows hammocks for a community that cares about hammocks.

Firesong
11-06-2014, 08:27
I think your over blowing the situation. The failures seemed to be from too tight of stitching at the hem channel which tore and mine was from a knee and two teenages getting it on. I've put together at least 20 of them and only the one knee failure.

A friend has himself , his daughter and a 40lb dog in it.
Go for it. They work fine. Just don't have the stitches to tight together if your seeing an end channel.

nothermark
11-06-2014, 08:56
Given your stated limitations a whipped end hammock does not need any sewing. Basically you gather the material and fold it over and tie it off. Much better directions abound. I would heat seal the cut ends. Edges do not need sealing but will be more floppy without a hem. That will work with either table cloth hammocks or 4 yards of sport nylon from JoAnn's or similar. Anybody with a coupon.

Dutch's sewn Argon blanks are a definite upgrade and not too bad an upcharge. The new suspension he has is also about the lightest and simplest around if you weigh in under around 250 lbs. More than that and I would want 1/8 amsteel or better straps.

Another way to go on the suspension is Harbor Freight cargo straps. The buckles suck but the strapping is fine. Check with Ready Strap for hammock hanging strap suspension:

Or go with Dutch's current offerings. Maybe a mix and match. Dutch has the lightweight bling while Gary can cover more than anybody can weigh and live to tell about it. ;-)

If it was me going ultra cheap it would be either table cloth or Joann's depending on shipping cost for the body. Strap suspension parts from HF along with a couple of climbing biners from my spare stuff bins. If I was going a bit higher I'd visit Dutch and Ready Strap.

http://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-stuff/

http://www.readystrap.com/

That will get you as good or better than anything else until you get to sewn in features like bug nets, pockets, or custom shaping.

Mr_Sheesh
11-07-2014, 01:41
OK, looking at suspension and to see what kind of rope to use for whipping, amsteel I guess; Always more to learn :)

mountainm
11-07-2014, 02:53
If its car camping I'd just get long straps with cinch buckles.

Osulagh
11-07-2014, 03:09
If its car camping I'd just get long straps with cinch buckles.

Agreed. Woopie-slings are more for light weight suspension. I suggest you get some very long tree straps if you wish to do this. Or you can go for ENO Atlas straps and a carabiner.

As a reminder: If you're thinking of sleeping in this hammock, anywhere under 70F, you'll want bottom and top insulation so you don't freeze your *** off.

Mr_Sheesh
11-07-2014, 04:38
I'm not entirely sure what tree straps are, probably what we called tubular webbing back then? Oh, OK looks more like seatbelt webbing; that's thinner but should do nicely :) I still have my old climbing carabiners, so I can use a few of those for suspension. And I see the cinch buckles, I could tie knots alternately, should work out then. And I know very well on underquilting, I am thinking on how to do that (though worst case I could hang out in the hammock days and in the tent nights, I am fairly well set for tent camping.) I know from back then that a sleeping bag compressed under you, is not exactly a good insulator :P I have some harbor freight moving blankets I've been using as sleeping pads for tent camping, those should do for a trial for an UQ probably as they will trap air and I tend to sleep warm as heck anyways. Have to figure out how to attach them, 550 cord or something or read up and see what others have done there.

zooshooter
11-07-2014, 11:32
I'm not entirely sure what tree straps are, probably what we called tubular webbing back then? Oh, OK looks more like seatbelt webbing; that's thinner but should do nicely :) I still have my old climbing carabiners, so I can use a few of those for suspension. And I see the cinch buckles, I could tie knots alternately, should work out then. And I know very well on underquilting, I am thinking on how to do that (though worst case I could hang out in the hammock days and in the tent nights, I am fairly well set for tent camping.) I know from back then that a sleeping bag compressed under you, is not exactly a good insulator :P I have some harbor freight moving blankets I've been using as sleeping pads for tent camping, those should do for a trial for an UQ probably as they will trap air and I tend to sleep warm as heck anyways. Have to figure out how to attach them, 550 cord or something or read up and see what others have done there.

I made my own hammock, underquilt, suspension. The total cost (not including buying the sewing machine) was roughly $400. That includes 1lb of down for the uq and the purchase price of the sleeping bag that I use for my blanket. The hammock itself only ran me about $60 in total materials costs (whether I used all the material or not). I started out using paracord to attach my uq but ended up switching to shock cord because it allowed me to move around in the hammock without creating as severe of cold spots.

If you want some pointers on hammock insulation (and hammocks in general), check out Shug's video series located here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8

perdidochas
11-07-2014, 14:06
I think your over blowing the situation. The failures seemed to be from too tight of stitching at the hem channel which tore and mine was from a knee and two teenages getting it on. I've put together at least 20 of them and only the one knee failure.

A friend has himself , his daughter and a 40lb dog in it.
Go for it. They work fine. Just don't have the stitches to tight together if your seeing an end channel.

I've got a tablecloth hammock--whipped, not using the hem channel. I've had over 400 lbs in it for about two hours. For suspension, I use dutch's cinch buckles (old-style, not titanium) with his 7/64 continouous loops and 1 inch webbing. Since then I've spend over a week sleeping in it.

hutzelbein
11-07-2014, 16:33
It's hard to beat the price of a table cloth hammock, but if you don't really want to sew and don't have an underquilt, I would seriously think about biting the bullet and get a simple double layer hammock. I think one of the cheapest double layer hammocks is the Warbonnet Traveler (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/no-net-ridgerunners-travelers/); for $75 you get a 10' double layer hammock with a decent suspension. You already have some climbing biners and a sleeping pad - so you would be ready to go. If you need a tarp, too, you could add the WB Edge (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/edge/) for $85 and get a $10 rebate (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/promotions/) (for any hammock/tarp combo). For $150 plus shipping you would have a decent set-up that you could take hiking.

There are other double layer hammocks in the same price range. BIAS makes simple double layer hammocks - a Hiker Lite (http://www.buttinasling.com/dolalo.html) with suspension would cost $85. If you make your own suspension, it would only be $60.

Simply Light Designs sells a 9' no-net double layer hammock (http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22_26_55/products_id/212) for just $48 plus the cost for the suspension of your choice. There's a moderate charge for longer lengths. They also make tarps.

Dream Hammock (http://www.dream-hammock.com/FreeBird.html), Wilderness Logics (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/HAMMOCKS-ACCESSORIES_c3.htm), Hammeck (http://www.hammeck.com/hammocks/) and others all sell simple double layer hammocks. Or have a look at Hammock Bliss's Sky Bed (http://www.hammockbliss.com/sky-bed) - I would probably have bought one when I got into hammocks, because it seems to be designed around pad-use. So is the Pak-It-Lite Scout (http://camphammocks.com/hammocks.html) (but the suspension system takes some getting used to).

I'm not trying to steer you away from DIY - DIY is great! But with a ready-made double layer hammock you can be certain that you get a hammock that works - and you can use the insulation you already have.

hutzelbein
11-07-2014, 16:36
I forgot to say that Black Friday is just around the corner. Some vendors already had a sale - but I'm sure more will follow. If you wait another 3 weeks, you could even upgrade to an integrated hammock (a hammock with bug net) for a discount.

Osulagh
11-07-2014, 21:29

From my knowledge, I've only found Dutchware to sell pre-made tree straps just by themselves. You can get 15' straps. It's polyester webbing--I'm unsure if tubular webbing can come in polyester or not. Polyester doesn't stretch as much as nylon or polypropylene, so you don't end up rubbing your butt to the ground. You can make them yourself rather easily with a sewing machine. Dutch also sells complete cinch buckle suspension.

I believe most underquilts come with what they need to be hung with. Though use shock cord as it'll stretch.

Porch Hanger
11-07-2014, 23:20
If $60 - $70 ish is within budget, take a look at a Skeeter Beater Pro.

Integrated bug net, parachute material, rated to 400 lbs comes ready to hang.
I would change out the stock suspension with better straps or whoopies.

It's a great buy for the money, imo. I've had one for several years and still use it here and there.

a photo from my early hangin days right after i got the SBP

Using tree straps + marlin spike hitch / whoopie slings

*edit* after a quick search ... seems to be selling now for $80 ...

Mr_Sheesh
11-08-2014, 22:09
Started getting the bits before I saw that, not sure it'd work anyways, so I'm sorta committed now to DIY (or should be committed, one of them or the other :P) I still need to get a few bits and pieces, on the way though.

Mr_Sheesh
11-09-2014, 03:39
Any issues with amsteel, with using butterfly knots to make the middle of it into my structural ridgeline? Or, would it be better to use some other method to attach the hammock to the ridgeline and suspension? I am pretty fair at knots (double carrick bend is one of my favorites and I recognize that midway in the Diamond Knot) but IDK amsteel at all well, yet.

Mr_Sheesh
11-10-2014, 15:23
Trying to get it all together as the plan is to be sleeping in this Friday night;
Drip lines are there to prevent drips from getting to the hammock material. Tarp should cover these, I guess, to help them work right?
Probably will do knotty mods on both sides to tighten the fabric.
amsteel Structural Ridgeline I guess, not yet sure how I'll attach everything but I guess fold & whip the seatbelting & tie off to that?

Burning questions remaining;
Not sure exactly how I'll tie the bits together yet; I guess I can fake it. Can try the buttons on the hammock as "the" tie points I guess?
How to attach UQ under the hammock? (HammockFan's "UnderQuilt Suspension How To" method w/paracord maybe with shock cords?)
No bottom cover to the UQ yet, just using what I have, see how it works. Have extra ribbon coming so I can attach some to tie it off to, as needed?