PDA

View Full Version : Triple needle

LadyDraco
11-06-2014, 18:49
Anyone using a triple needle for the end channels on their hammocks? If so what type of machine are you using and best way to thread it.

gmcttr
11-06-2014, 19:07
Unless you have a machine with three bobbins to go with the three needles, all three rows of stitching will share one single lower thread resulting in a pretty decorative stitch with little strength. :scared:

The Old Boot
11-06-2014, 19:11
Unless you have a machine with three bobbins to go with the three needles, all three rows of stitching will share one single lower thread resulting in a pretty decorative stitch with little strength. :scared:

What he said...the double and triple needles are only meant for decorative stitching, they are never meant to be used for a seam or anything that requires stability and strength.

There are some industrial machines out there that can do three rows of straight stitching at a time but I don't think that was what you were talking about.

LadyDraco
11-06-2014, 19:16
As I am still learning I figured there was a difference and actually I was also wondering if the heavy duty triple stitch machines are versatile enough to go back to single straight stitch as needed. I am also on the hunt for such machine and they seem hard to find or ridiculously expensive

EZbreezy
11-06-2014, 19:31
Can't comment on the triple stitch feature, however, you can achieve a double stitch using whats called a cover stitch with a serger.

However, serging is completely different than using a regular sewing machine.

Mouseskowitz
11-06-2014, 19:40
I saw a double needle machine the other day that applied bias tape over a seam. I think it was in the $8000+ range.

ripstopbytheroll
11-06-2014, 19:56
I've worked with two commercial sewing shops and neither had a triple-needed machine. Double, but not triple.

sLAsh
11-06-2014, 21:23
Seen the doubles used by auto trimmers for French seams but never heard or seen a triple before

Tacblades
11-07-2014, 01:25
You can use a single needle and put two top threads through the single needle, this does add strength, but i prefer just to use extra strong thread top and bottom and lower the tension on both for a tie out attachment of something load bearing.

zooshooter
11-07-2014, 11:15
Why the need for a triple needle arrangement? Does it really save you that much time vs making 3 single-thread passes?

The Old Boot
11-07-2014, 12:29
Why the need for a triple needle arrangement? Does it really save you that much time vs making 3 single-thread passes?

It's only really used as a decorative stitch and yes, for a commercial large volume sewing company, it does save time.

It has no use in gear making however, since anywhere 3 lines of stitching are needed, each line is for strength.

LadyDraco
11-10-2014, 18:01

Saves time and looks alot more professional. I'm not just diy for myself I am making them to sell.

Tacblades
11-11-2014, 01:46
Not sure it looks any better really, but professionally you would need a special machine with 3 bobbins.

LadyDraco
11-11-2014, 06:06
Not sure it looks any better really, but professionally you would need a special machine with 3 bobbins.

Heh yea I think I'm just going to have to suffer and do the 3 rows of stitch myself as I dont think i am ever going to put out the money that those machines cost. Thanks for all the input everyone. :)