PDA

View Full Version : Adding Zipper to Hennessy

crawldaddy1
11-10-2014, 11:58
Needless to say that I'm new to the whole hammock camping experience and I've learned alot on this forum by reading alot of threads(this forum is a great resource!). I just acquired a used hennessey hammock recently with the bottom entry and I was interested in adding the side zipper entrance. I've seen alot of post and threads on 2qzq adding zippers. They seem like a great couple that does really good work(I also like their testamony on their "About us" page). I'm sure I will be sending them business in the near future on other mods. However, after reading all of this DIY stuff, I was thinking that I might like to try adding the zipper myself (pride thing) since I have some experience with a machine. Are their any good write-ups/videos on how to perform this and what type of material is recommended(zipper, tape, etc..)?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hudsonhawk
11-10-2014, 12:29
If you take a look in the DIY section I think 2QZQ, have thrown in some comments along the line about what they are using. Just troll thru. Been thinking about doing the same myself.

crawldaddy1
11-11-2014, 18:03
Thanks Hudson. I've found some information but no great write-ups. I'll keep looking.

WingNut
11-11-2014, 22:43
For the money, it's worth it to get 2qzq to modify your Hennessy. The workmanship is great, as well as it is definitely useable or saleable after. Just my $.02.

Ramblinrev
11-12-2014, 08:09
Start with your hammock on the floor, stretched out fully. Now _pretend_ to cut along the seam between the body and the bug net. Sit at your sewing machine and drag the hammock over the sewing table between two and four times to simulate the application of the zipper. Remember that at any time in that process you can catch the hammock in the machine folding, spindling and mutilating the body or bug net. Remove the hammock from the sewing table to simulate the number of times you will have to rip out some errant stitches. (at least 5 times if you are anything like me.) Roll the hammock up, put it in a box and ship it to ZQ following the appropriate ordering protocols. Job done. Yea!!!!!

Dead Man
11-12-2014, 08:25
Go for it and good luck. What do you have to lose....except a decent hammock, time, extra money, temper, religion, money that wasn't to be wasted, and perhaps a goodly portion of your sanity, not necessarily in that order. Props to you if and when you DIY the mod. It won't mean a tinkers ____, but you'll have my respect. You're better and braver than I am and that's the truth Ruth. :thumbup1:

:shades:

fishaholic
11-12-2014, 10:09
Check youube!!

Chriss
11-12-2014, 10:23
Start with your hammock on the floor, stretched out fully. Now _pretend_ to cut along the seam between the body and the bug net. Sit at your sewing machine and drag the hammock over the sewing table between two and four times to simulate the application of the zipper. Remember that at any time in that process you can catch the hammock in the machine folding, spindling and mutilating the body or bug net. Remove the hammock from the sewing table to simulate the number of times you will have to rip out some errant stitches. (at least 5 times if you are anything like me.) Roll the hammock up, put it in a box and ship it to ZQ following the appropriate ordering protocols. Job done. Yea!!!!!

And that my friends is how you do a 2QZQ zipper mod!!!

Ramblinrev
11-12-2014, 16:57
In all seriousness here... there is a huge difference between building a quilt or tarp from scratch and trying to retrofit some thing as complex and complicated as a zipper into an already built item. I will tackle a new build of almost anything before I try to do retrofits to even simple items. I'm not saying don't try it. But be plenty prepared for what you are getting into. Not sure how good a stitcher you are but my professional level wife rolled her eyes and as much as said, "No way." She wanted none of it, particularly after she heard that ZQ was set up to do it for a very reasonable price. Pride be danged... I'd rather keep my wife happy.

ZQ

crawldaddy1
11-14-2014, 21:26
I will keep you posted.

Dcolon13
11-17-2015, 18:44
What a funny thread. I think what 2QZQ is doing is awesome, but for MYOG-inclined people, a zipper mod on a Hennessey seems like a far easier thing to do than, say, making an baffled, differential cut UQ (which I also am gearing up to do.) I guess I'll have to do a write up in the case that my attempt is successful!