PDA

View Full Version : My DIY silArgon Tarp

SirMarkos
11-11-2014, 08:58
Just wanted to share my latest DIY project. A beast of a tarp!

12'4" Ridgeline
10' Width
16 ounces w/ suspension

Thanks again to Dutch for hooking me up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWfnqmmus4U

silentorpheus
11-11-2014, 10:27
Nice job - that's a fine looking tarp.

I really do love that chocolate brown Argon color. It looks amazing as a quilt, since it's almost translucent (so you can see the mottled down through it) but it looks killer in a large panel as a tarp as well. And 16oz for a tarp that size is pretty awesome. :thumbup1:

For the ridge line, you said it was 7/8th" grosgrain - did you just double it over and catch the 2 edges of the sil in between it? or did you hem the sil together first, then bind it up in the ribbon?

SirMarkos
11-11-2014, 10:34
Nice job - that's a fine looking tarp.

I really do love that chocolate brown Argon color. It looks amazing as a quilt, since it's almost translucent (so you can see the mottled down through it) but it looks killer in a large panel as a tarp as well. And 16oz for a tarp that size is pretty awesome. :thumbup1:

For the ridge line, you said it was 7/8th" grosgrain - did you just double it over and catch the 2 edges of the sil in between it? or did you hem the sil together first, then bind it up in the ribbon?

Thanks!

I did a double french seam on the sil first then folded the grosgrain over it to reinforce it.

Mouseskowitz
11-11-2014, 11:14
Looks nice. I'm wondering if you're having as much of a problem with the fabric stretching as I am? Rain isn't too bad, but snow is really giving me problems.

SirMarkos
11-11-2014, 13:13
Looks nice. I'm wondering if you're having as much of a problem with the fabric stretching as I am? Rain isn't too bad, but snow is really giving me problems.

It is a VERY stretchy fabric! When I tested it last weekend in high winds, I saw a real need to probably install panel pulls. But it's to be expected with it as broad as it is. Kept me dry though :)

Boston
11-11-2014, 14:07
Yeah, the stretch of sil-argon kind of turned me off the material, if I'm honest. I'm actually sitting on about 7 or 8 yard, and haven't decided if I really want to use it.

It's really light, but the stretch is a significant factor.

I'm really excited to try SilPoly from Ripstop by The Roll

SirMarkos
11-11-2014, 14:28
I'm really excited to try SilPoly from Ripstop by The Roll

What's the finished weight supposed to be?

Boston
11-11-2014, 15:46
1.2 oz/sq yd is what's being reported/advertised. I think there's a thread on it in the "Other Vendor's" forum.

Mouseskowitz
11-11-2014, 15:55
I've used the internal poles with gusts up around 30 mph and it's been great. I suspect that would also work with the external poles, but I haven't seen significant wind with those deployed.

The silpoly does look interesting. I remember reading that it might be more "fragile" than silnylon which has me wondering how reinforced the tie outs need to be.

SirMarkos
11-20-2014, 10:10
I remember reading that it might be more "fragile" than silnylon which has me wondering how reinforced the tie outs need to be.

Fragile? How so?

Mouseskowitz
11-20-2014, 10:27
Fragile? How so?
It was an impression I got from some of Kyle's comments about trying to rip silpoly vs silnylon by hand. I'm not sure if those samples were different than the final product or if it's just not an issue in a finished project.

SirMarkos
11-20-2014, 10:32
Interesting. I guess I'll have to inquire within. I like the idea of low stretch but I don't wanna get no fragile roof :)

Mouseskowitz
11-20-2014, 11:17
Interesting. I guess I'll have to inquire within. I like the idea of low stretch but I don't wanna get no fragile roof :)

After the testing HK2001 did (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/101360-RBTR-SilPoly-Initial-impressions) I'm not too worried about it. Since I just made a new tarp I'm going to hold off a while on the silpoly and see if anyone starts having problems.

SirMarkos
11-20-2014, 11:19
Yeah, I'm good in the tarp department for a while. So, silpoly has a while to prove/disprove itself.