PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a new thread injector - need suggestions!

hutzelbein
11-13-2014, 05:10
Sooo... I only started venturing into DIY this spring. I had an old machine that had been sitting in the corner unused for years. But the problems started right away: the machine was totally gummed and refused to move. I brought it to a local repair shop which serviced it. However, after only a couple of days, it jammed again. I brought it back to the repair shop and they seemed to have solved that issue. But only some months later I had problems, again. This time, the thread jammed up, and the machine left out stitches. I brought it to a different repair shop, and was told that the machine would need to be completely readjusted. The guy didn't recommend it. He said that my machine was a cheap no-name product, and I would continue to have problems with it. He said I would be better off buying a new machine, which would work much more precise. I was not prepared for buying a new machine, so I didn't have my fabrics with me and also had no idea what to look for. However, I decided to buy a new machine because I'm fed up with constantly fighting against my old machine. All the seams were always slightly crumpled, no matter how I adjusted the thread tension, and I had to do seams 2-3 times before I got a somewhat satisfactory result.

The question now is: which machine should I buy? I'm not planning to open a sewing shop - at the moment I'm only interested in making my own outdoor gear - you all know what that entails. However, it would be great if the machine would be capable to sew jersey fabric as well.

With that in mind, can you recommend new thread injector models that would work? Obviously, the less I spend on a new machine, the more I have left for buying fabrics etc. But I'd rather spend more now and be done for the next 10 years than having to buy another machine in 1 year. The machines that were suggested to me were between 300 and 400 EUR (370-500 USD). I would be willing to spend more if there are good reasons.

So please post suggestions!

... Of course I will go to a big shop and take some fabrics for testing - but I'd like to have some background info first. In my experience, salespeople will try to sell what they have, which is not necessarily the best choice for the buyer...

Ramblinrev
11-13-2014, 06:25
Not knowing the market in Germany or what is available I can't be much help in terms of used machines. Although my "Guidelines" in my sig still apply.
In terms of new machines, two thoughts come to mind. You want a good dealer. Now that can mean a lot of things. The first place that fixed the machine did what they could. Now whether it was because of the quality of the machine or the quality of work it didn't take. Either is possible. Cheap machines are cheap machines and do not last. They did not try to sell you a new machine. You put the problem down to the poor sevice on the part of the repair shop. You might want to revisit that idea.
What bothers me about the second shop is a need for a "complete readjustment" is not justification in my mind for pushing a new machine. It could be that dealer smelled a possible sale and decided to go for it. Not always a bad thing. But a little suspect in my mind. So you are on the horns of a dilemma. Which shop to trust. The price range quoted to you should buy you a decent machine. Rather than brand I would focus on the service of the shop. Ask around and see what people think of these two shops. You want a shop that knows their stuff and is honest. All top brands are about the same except for the bells and whistles, whichyou are not looking for. So focus on the shop you have confidence in.

hutzelbein
11-13-2014, 06:54
Thanks; I don't think the advice to buy a new machine was a bad one. My old machine was bought from a big mail order service. The brand is a home brand (Elastiknaht). I fully believe that the machine is not a quality machine, since it apparently didn't cost much new (under $200). The second guy offered to repair it; he only said that in his opinion it would not be worth it. Apparently the "grabber" is out of sync (that's why the thread jams and some stitches are left out), but it doesn't end with readjusting this one part. All the other parts need to be synced to the grabber. My mother used to have a small shop where she also sold embroidery machines. This guy used to do the repairs and seemed to do a good job. Of course it's better for him to sell a new machine - but I would trust his judgement in this case. Plus I'm tired of always having to fix things - I want to get on with my projects.

I don't think the other repair man wasn't too bad either, but his specialty are Bernina machines. He seems to be semi-retired, too; the reason I went to him first was because his shop is in my town. All the other shops are 45 minutes and more away by car.

I definitely want a well-known brand, because it's easier to shop for parts (as a beginner). I believe the major brands in Germany are the same as in the US. The shop I will go to in the next days sells Bernette, Bernina, Brother, Husqvarna Viking, Janome, Pfaff, Singer and Toyota. They have more brands for embroidery machines - but I don't need that feature. So if you have had good luck with a specific brand or model, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Ramblinrev
11-13-2014, 06:59
As you have previous experience with the shop go for it. Sounds like a good choice. The brands which you listed are all good quality machines. Plan to spend some time looking at the various options. I would not recommend on _brand_ over another simply because I am not brand oriented. Other folks will no doubt step in and fill that deficiency in my approach.

hutzelbein
11-13-2014, 07:09
To clarify, the shop I'm going to for testing some machines is unknown to me. They are simply the only big shop near and far. I'm hoping that with that selection, they have experience and are not focused to selling one specific brand or model. The other shop which supplied my mother is closing down for good by the end of the year. They only have very few machines left - that's why I'm hesitant to jump on the offer. He recommended the Brother Innov Is 15 and also showed me two Elnas that supposedly fit the bill. The Brother seemed to be the best one of the selection - but I didn't have the fabrics (silnylon, thin ripstop, webbing etc.) to test it.

I'm not looking for a brand recommendation - I know that this is a personal thing. But if somebody has been sewing hammocks and tarps with a specific model, and the machine did it well, this would be valuable information for me. As would be information on models that weren't up to the task. This might help me make a good decision. The shop I don't know, yet, also sells used machines. I'm open to buying used, but only from a shop with a warranty. I know too little to find a truly good deal in the local newspaper ads or on eBay.

gmcttr
11-13-2014, 08:41
I don't have a lot to add, but I would expect any of the brands in the price range you're looking at to easily do a good job on tarps, quilts, hammocks and 1500 lb webbing.

I would let the salesperson know that I put the build quality of the basic machine as being much more important than 100's of fancy decorative stitches that I would never use. Taking fabric with you is an excellent idea.

Take advantage of any training they may offer with a new machine. Basic machine setup for the fabric to be sewn and maintenance (thoroughly cleaning the correct areas and oil) can go a long way in having an enjoyable and trouble free experience.

SirMarkos
11-13-2014, 12:57
Anyone ever used one of these? Wal-Mart has it on sale for $179 right now...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Heritage-Electronic-Sewing-Machine/26376267

Snowball
11-13-2014, 12:58
I have a Pfaff select 3.0 and it is an ok machine but would most likely not be my choice today.
Two layers of webbing no problem. If sowing many layers in the form of hems together not so good.
My guess is not many household machines can handle very thick layers and then you have to look for a industrial model but it’s a different price range even for a used machine.
Before you decide take a moment and think, what are you going to use it for?
Some brands offers a lot of extra pressure feet hem tools and what not others not so much.
I won’t recommend you buy a unknown brand because then you are likely not be able to get extra tools.
Some machines has two holes to the right of the foot for attachment of tools. Something to consider. (otherwise make your own, see my pictures).
For thin materials I would recommend a machine where you can change the stitch plate. Most are born with a universal plate so you can zik zak. Nothing wrong with that but the wide needle slot is a fabric trap! For some machines you can get another plate with just one small hole for the needle. The downside is you have to change it if you want to adjust the needle sideways or zik zak. Otherwise it will cost you a needle if you forget ;)
Also consider what kind of stitches you need. No need to pay for something you won’t ever need.
I chose my machine because it has an extra leg for transporting the fabric on the top side. It was recommended at the time in some kite forums. However my local machine pusher says it is not necessary today with electronic machines.
Take some scarp material in your pocket when you go looking and for testing. Many get surprised when they see and feel Ripstop nylon.
If you are thinking about making backpacks you have to think about the pressure foot lifting height! You may want to add and sow in foam and most machines will have a hard time handling that.

Bubba
11-13-2014, 14:09
What is the vintage machine market like over there? I've never spent over $35.00 (Canadian) on any of my vintage machines and they all work very well and will likely last a very long time if properly maintained.

woody121
11-13-2014, 14:21
I saw this advertised on Woot.com today: http://home.woot.com/offers/singer-special-edition-computerized-sewing-machine?ref=cnt_dly_tl. I haven't read any reviews, but Singer usually makes quality machines.

hutzelbein
11-13-2014, 15:59
What is the vintage machine market like over there? I've never spent over $35.00 (Canadian) on any of my vintage machines and they all work very well and will likely last a very long time if properly maintained.

There are many old sewing machines on the market. But since I don't know what to look for, I don't really want to buy a used one - unless it comes from a shop, is serviced and has a warranty. Or unless somebody with experience would advise me.

My guess is not many household machines can handle very thick layers and then you have to look for a industrial model but it’s a different price range even for a used machine.

At the moment, my projects are hammocks, tarps - and when I'm feeling secure enough, down gear like a sleeping bag. This means I'll mostly be sewing thin fabrics with the occasional piece of webbing. I would think that a household machine should be able to handle that.

RHunter
11-13-2014, 22:21
Ikea Py. Available at any IKEA store (price + apppreciable sales tax or online + shipping).

I paid $70USD for mine and it has done all the DIY I've asked it to- which of course is not that much yet.

PLUQ, channel ends on a couple of hammocks, sewing loops on tree straps is about the extent.

Even my wife (my own little Bernina Babe) says its not too bad a little machine- and with my own I can't mess up the settings on her machine.

VictoriaGuy
11-13-2014, 22:38
I have a Pfaff select 3.0 and it is an ok machine but would most likely not be my choice today. .............
I chose my machine because it has an extra leg for transporting the fabric on the top side. It was recommended at the time in some kite forums. However my local machine pusher says it is not necessary today with electronic machines.

I like the Pfaff 'top feed' machines as well - it does help me when sewing slippery or stretchy materials.
http://new.pfaff.com/en-CA/About/IDT-System
I had a new Pfaff Select machine and it worked OK but it was not as good as the older Pfaff 1222E/SE. However, the Select was new with a warranty, the 1222E was 40 yrs old and needed repair....which is not what you are looking for.
A machine from a trustworthy shop should be OK- I think most of the major brands make good machines, though some of the European makers have both "Made in China for xxxxxx" and "Made by xxxx in Europe" machines.
Brother is a company that made some very good machines, but now also (like Singer) have their name on some very cheap plastic machines. So getting good advice- and warranty support, lessons, etc. from a shop is important.

VictoriaGuy
11-13-2014, 22:39
At the moment, my projects are hammocks, tarps - and when I'm feeling secure enough, down gear like a sleeping bag. This means I'll mostly be sewing thin fabrics with the occasional piece of webbing. I would think that a household machine should be able to handle that.

I agree with you on that.

VictoriaGuy
11-13-2014, 22:45
There are many old sewing machines on the market. But since I don't know what to look for, I don't really want to buy a used one - unless it comes from a shop, is serviced and has a warranty. Or unless somebody with experience would advise me.

If you could get an older machine with servicing and warranty, you would be happy, I think. My guess is that , just as in North America, the 'legendary' machines like the Bernina 730/830, Pfaff 1222E/SE etc are probably overpriced.
The only classic machines I've found at bargain prices needed some (often not much) work.
Since you aren't interested in 'sewing machine repair' as a hobby, you are probably wise to stick with a reputable shop.

FLRider
11-14-2014, 10:44
Anyone ever used one of these? Wal-Mart has it on sale for $179 right now...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Heritage-Electronic-Sewing-Machine/26376267

Unless you absolutely have to have a new machine, I'd avoid it and go with Ramblinrev's suggestions for finding a machine. Link is here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/19006-Important-thread-injector-guidelines-especially-for-Newbies). I paid attention and got a 70s-era Husky Viking that sews, well, pretty much everything I've put under the presser foot for $150 and hasn't needed more than a cleaning and some oiling for maintenance in the last three years. I do need to get a couple of different feet for it soon, but that's another story...

I'd avoid the WallyWorld brands: they're fine for light-duty stuff (like making an occasional hammock), but are mostly plastic gears and computerized (read: "require real maintenance rather than simple mechanical care"). If you're going to purchase from WallyWorld, get the best deal you can on the cheapest machine you can; they'll all last about the same length of time and you don't need 200+ decorative stitches for gear making.

It should. And if you don't want to buy used, that's okay. Just stick to your guns: tell the salesperson what you need it to do rather than letting them sell you something that has a lot of extra bells and whistles. Bring some nylon, some sil, some netting, and some webbing along with some of the thread you're going to use. Run small sections through the machine(s) to test 'em (especially the sil, webbing, and netting; most machines will be able to handle the ripstop nylon, no sweat). If the salesperson won't let you do this, it may be time to find another shop: having a machine that can handle what you need is important.

Hope it helps!

SirMarkos
11-14-2014, 11:25
I's rather have a simple straight stitch Singer 15-90 or similar. But the promise of easy/better/lighter always catches my "gear-head" eyeballs! :)

Ramblinrev
11-14-2014, 13:34
I's rather have a simple straight stitch Singer 15-90 or similar. But the promise of easy/better/lighter always catches my "gear-head" eyeballs! :)

A cheap machine ain't easier. That's like saying a Ford Focus is easier to drive than a Lincoln. Ain't gonna be that way. Better? most definitely not. A balanced stitch is a balanced stitch regardless of what machine it is on. Lighter is the real kick in the head. Unless you are going to take it on the trail, or you frequent rotating quilting bees you absolutely do _not_ want a light machine. The dang things skate all over the table making you chase it while trying to get a straight seam line. This in one place in the outdoors where more weight is better.

Bubba
11-14-2014, 14:45
Lighter than a Singer 15-90 is still pretty heavy.:laugh:

Mouseskowitz
11-14-2014, 16:34

There are many of us who have played around with quite a few machines. I have 10 at the moment and I'm pretty sure some of the other guys are in the 60's or higher. It wouldn't hurt to look at the used market and ask questions about specific machines you see. A few of my machines have needed actual repairs or adjusting, some of just needed oil/cleaning and a couple didn't need anything. The most I've paid for a machine was $85 US, $50 or less being more common. If you're patient you can find a good deal. Some of the best ones can be people getting rid of mom's or grandma's old machine.

Firesong
11-15-2014, 18:46
I just picked up a Pfaff select 4.2. Played with it at the store with silnylon , webbing and ripstop. Worked nicely. No issues at all feeding silnylon with its IDT feed system / walker foot feed.
It definitely isn't as solid and surgical as my old brick of a White/Domestic but it does do a nicer job.
I had purchased a used Necchi mira but it couldn't handle the fabric properly and wouldn't allow for long enough stitches. Sold it the next day.