PDA

View Full Version : Want to hang in Edinburgh Scotland

Crash
11-13-2014, 09:27
I want to hang in Edinburgh Scotland when I go back in December. Theres a private park across from where Ill be staying near the Modern Art Gallery but we are not allowed to camp. I was hoping to bring my hammock and hang for a night or two. Part of the problem is very limited access to a car so I ll probably limited to hiking or public transit. Im thinking of getting a bicycle there. Ive ridden on the canal paths. Ive been there twice before in summer & winter and just love your country.

Do you Scots have any suggestions? Im coming Dec 16 or 17 to the 23rd.

craige
11-13-2014, 09:58
Are you wanting an overnighter or just to chill in the hammock for a few hours?

Have you visited Roslin chapel yet? There are some really nice woods right behind it, in the Glen. I camp there often because it's a short walk from my house but the area is quite heavily used, plenty of fire rings and not much dead wood for a fire. There are also some decent spots in Penicuik. Both are easy to get to and under an hour on the number 37/47/15 buses.
There are some nice woods just up from the Flotterstone Inn as well, at the base of the Pentland hills, a good spot to start/finish a number of day hikes from. A little further south there are some great areas out towards peebles and Innerleithen.

If you've been to Edinburgh in winter before you'll know it's mostly wet/mild. Temps are variable but chances are it won't be much below freezing at night and it'll probably be windy.

Crash
11-16-2014, 15:13
I was thinking of a quick overnighter no fires. Just to say "I got hung in Scotland!"I ve been to Eburgh for christmas and Hogmany before. Ive been to Roslyn Chapel. I thought those woods were privately owned.

craige
11-16-2014, 15:37
Hah, fair enough. I would recommend roslin glen then... the woods are a "country park" and are owned by the local council.

dlindner
12-23-2014, 19:25
How reasonable are the campsite hang prices?

craige
12-23-2014, 19:39
Non existent really, you can "wild camp" pretty much anywhere as long as your 100m + from roads/houses. I've never stayed at a campsite so not sure of prices.

dlindner
12-23-2014, 19:43
Non existent really, you can "wild camp" pretty much anywhere as long as your 100m + from roads/houses. I've never stayed at a campsite so not sure of prices.

I am considering going to the Isle of Skye this summer. Any hammock hanging locations or is it all wild camp tent camping?

craige
12-23-2014, 20:45
I've not been to Skye yet... but from what I've seen there are too few trees to be sure of a spot to hang every night. I'm guessing you're planning on climbing some of the Cuillins? Have a look at a map of the area or in fact the whole of the island, there really aren't many trees. Not sure if there are campsites, but why pay for something you don't have to?

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-24-2014, 14:34
I am considering going to the Isle of Skye this summer. Any hammock hanging locations or is it all wild camp tent camping?

Very few trees on Skye, personally I'd sleep on the ground and be prepared for the possibility of poor weather anytime of the year.

Crash
12-24-2014, 17:23
Unfortunately I was unable to pack my hammock. My boss (wife) put her foot down! So I am "hanging" at the White Horse Pub on the Royal Mile.

dlindner
12-24-2014, 17:26
Unfortunately I was unable to pack my hammock. My boss (wife) put her foot down! So I am "hanging" at the White Horse Pub on the Royal Mile.

Hahaha. That is hilarious! I think hammocks were invented for when the wife kicks you out of the house. You can hang from two trees at the edge of your property and love every minute of it!!

dlindner
12-24-2014, 17:27
Very few trees on Skye, personally I'd sleep on the ground and be prepared for the possibility of poor weather anytime of the year.

I know this isn't recommended, but I was thinking would it be possible to hang between two rocks? There have to be places near a rock face that you can hang from.

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-24-2014, 19:18
Possible, definitely. I've only hung from a tree and a rock before but I don't see why not.

craige
12-24-2014, 20:29
Boo! I've not been there but around the corner, the Hollyrood 9A pub does a pretty fantastic burger!

Crash
02-17-2015, 15:36
I could not believe the beautiful weather I had in Edinburgh. Twice we had a very light dusting of snow. The temperatures were approx. 10degrees F warmer than home. I hope to get back there for a fourth visit.

craige
02-17-2015, 17:08
Yeah we've had a really dry winter this year, a couple of cold days but really not much. 3 warm winters in a row.

Scotty Von Porkchop
02-18-2015, 05:11
I can't decide if having 3 warm winters is good or bad though. I like the whole monster quilts and crampons thing as it seems tame when it's grey with a 5C low.

craige
02-18-2015, 06:51
Imo bad. I like cold and snow. I think I need to move north.

Scotty Von Porkchop
02-18-2015, 10:00
North! I couldn't handle Shetland or anywhere but Scandinavia, now there's an idea.

mrh_on
02-18-2015, 10:34
Oh man...a hang in Scotland would be amazing. We passed some amazing forests on our way to the highlands along the western coast. A rock hang would be amazing once in the highlands. Though I'd hope I wouldn't get woken by the RAF fighter jets flying 50' off of the water this time :) It did get me up and out walking the bluffs early!

craige
02-18-2015, 10:35
I was just meaning Fort William, Aviemore or similar. I've not seen enough of Scotland to want to move country yet lol!

Scotty Von Porkchop
02-18-2015, 14:52
Oh man...a hang in Scotland would be amazing. We passed some amazing forests on our way to the highlands along the western coast. A rock hang would be amazing once in the highlands. Though I'd hope I wouldn't get woken by the RAF fighter jets flying 50' off of the water this time :) It did get me up and out walking the bluffs early!

I love the jets going over makes me feel warm inside that we maybe massively in debt with a zombie economy but we can still splurge on a £72 million fighter jet. Its great to watch when they are in the valley and you're actually looking down on then though :-)

I was just meaning Fort William, Aviemore or similar. I've not seen enough of Scotland to want to move country yet lol!

But the Scandinavian girls! Hmm.