PDA

View Full Version : New Hammock Sleep Shifting

Kasuko
08-20-2009, 09:36
I have just bought a Hennesy Hammock, the Explorer Deluxe, looking forward to it. I haven't slept in a hammock before and want to get my techniques down.

One of the big reasons I'm looking forward to my HH is that I hear its easier to shift.

Lots of people say they are back sleepers or side sleepers, well I'm a everything sleeper and I shift between them many many times throughout the night. In a regular bed I'm able to subconsciously shift positions to a more comfortable position with out waking up. The problem with camping is that when I shift its usually to an uncomfortable position which wakes me up.

So my main question is, what can I do to increase shiftability in my hammock. I was thinking maybe making a silk cover on my pad, maybe some wings on it. Then wearing fleece, I should slip around in there all night, right?

Any input?

Kasuko

Cannibal
08-20-2009, 09:40
You've never slept in a hammock before right?
I was a very restless sleeper in a bed or on the ground. But in a hammock, I hardly move. If you do find yourself moving, your plan sounds like a good one. Let us know.

Kasuko
08-20-2009, 09:47
I have heard stories of people who were sidesleepers till they slept in a hammock when they became back sleepers.

I'm a little reluctant to believe it'll happen to me (I have never slept straight through a night camping or not) but if such a wonderful thing occurs I can say I'm installing a hammock in my bed room.

Counting down the days and a little upset theres no express shipping to Canada.

sk8rs_dad
08-20-2009, 10:03
Your insulation system is a big contributor to how much shifting you'll want to do. A pad in the hammock will limit how much you want to shift around. A quilt, HH Supershelter, Garlington insulator, peapod, or similar system reduces or eliminates cold spots so you can pretty much sleep in any contortion that you like.

... and welcome to the forums from another Ottawa resident.

Ramblinrev
08-20-2009, 11:01
So my main question is, what can I do to increase shiftability in my hammock. I was thinking maybe making a silk cover on my pad, maybe some wings on it. Then wearing fleece, I should slip around in there all night, right?

Any input?

Kasuko

I suspect you will find the ease of shifting to be a non-issue. I suspect if you are using a pad you will be asking "how do I manage to stay in one place." The answer will vary depending on who you talk to.

Kasuko
08-20-2009, 11:50
My goal is to get the undershelter for it, but thats a wallet hit for another day. Till then I think I'll fiddle around with a pad rather than attempting some makeshift underquit ... but we'll see. I could hate using a pad and hack up a simple underquilt out of some old sleeping bad. Not planning on using the hammock out too cold yet.

thecrumb
08-20-2009, 11:59
I'm no expert but I when I first started hanging (last year) I had a pad in my SBPro (no pad sleeve) and it was a constant battle of get in, get settled, move, cold spot, shift pad, get settled, rinse repeat.

I bought a KAQ this spring and have camped with it 2-3 times and it's awesome. No more pad headaches... If you have a pad sleeve than it might not be such a big deal.

Jim

Kasuko
08-20-2009, 12:05
Hmm well I originally wanted to stay away from making an underquilt because, well I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I didnt want to make something then have the undershelter make it obsolete, but since everyone raves about a UQ then I think I'll swallow my pride and buy a synthetic sleeping bag from a thrift stor and hack a simple UQ up.

Man I love this forum ... I don't even have a hammock yet and I've found a bunch of ways I'm going about alot of things the wrong way.

Ramblinrev
08-20-2009, 12:11
You can make pads work even in an HH. Lots of people do. I managed to do so on a particularly cold night. But I really like the super shelter.

Kasuko
08-20-2009, 12:14
I agree on the supershelter, but I just bought 2 hammocks, I have to wait a bit to let my coffers grow again but I can't wait to get to try this hammock out.

Knotty
08-20-2009, 17:51
I bought my HH and SS together but out of curiosity I slept in HH with a blue Walmart CCF pad last week. It worked, but seriously diminished the hammock experience.

Instructions for the KAQ are here: http://kickassquilts.com/