PDA

View Full Version : Singer 500A on Chicago CL

zooshooter
11-14-2014, 20:13
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/ele/4761299583.html

$100 in plastic carry case

heywoodja
11-14-2014, 22:15
Looks like it is in good shape. I wonder if it has the same tension issues mine has.

gmcttr
11-14-2014, 22:29
Looks like it is in good shape. I wonder if it has the same tension issues mine has.

While there could be a worn part, a tension problem on a singer 500A is more likely caused by a need for a thorough cleaning of the tension devices and bobbin hook area or user error.

What sort of a problem are you having?

heywoodja
11-14-2014, 23:04
I am guessing user error. It's clean as a whistle. It worked fine when I use a thinner thread in the bobbin but now that trick won't even work. I have tension on top maxed out but still getting loops on the bottom after sewing.

It also works sometimes when the bobbin is full but seems to fall into tension issues when the bobbin is less than half full.

zooshooter
11-15-2014, 09:16
I am guessing user error. It's clean as a whistle. It worked fine when I use a thinner thread in the bobbin but now that trick won't even work. I have tension on top maxed out but still getting loops on the bottom after sewing.

It also works sometimes when the bobbin is full but seems to fall into tension issues when the bobbin is less than half full.

I periodically have similar issues on mine, but mine have (as far as I can tell) so far always been my fault for not advancing the fabric. I tend to sew with the throat plate up while doing my webbing straps and that's when I run into problems the most. Probably not quite the same issue as what you're experiencing.

Rat
11-15-2014, 09:45

Make sure youhave threaded the machine correctly;also try the alternate method pictured here on Brian Sews. I use this alternate method with Stella.
500a with sloppy stitches (http://www.briansews.com/2012/08/singer-500a-with-sloppy-stitches.html)

Check the bobbin tension. I find that when I switch from thin thread to heavy thread I hafta adjust the bobbin tension just a touch. I use the "bobbin drop" method for adjusting and then fine tune from there based on the stitching.

Make sure the bottom thread is wound on and coming off of the bobbin correctly. I had troubles when I loaded the bobbin incorrectly once; I was ready to gouge my eyes out until I realized I had the bobbin and thread incorrect.

heywoodja
11-15-2014, 10:14
Thanks I have tried the alternate methods to some success. However I will be halfway down a seam when I start to get issues. Not sure how it could start off fine and quickly deteriorate 6 inches from the beginning.

Never heard of bobbin drop method so I'll be trying that next.

gmcttr
11-15-2014, 12:12
I think you will find the 500A has a drop in bobbin so the "bobbin case drop" method of tension adjustment cant' be used.

Floss under the bobbin thread tension leaf spring to make sure there isn't a bit of thread or lint ball messing up the tension adjustment. Same goes for the upper tension disks (these can be taken apart to make sure they are clean and polished). A bit of thread or lint in the upper tension device can move around as you sew and ruin your tension setting.

inspect the bobbin/bobbin case/hook/feed dog area again. A lint ball or bit of thread can cause missed stitches and birds nests but can sometimes be very difficult to find. A nick from a needle strike in the needle plate hole or on the bobbin hook can do the same thing. Look hard, look close and use a bright flashlight.

heywoodja
11-15-2014, 21:20
I dug into the bobbin raceway area a found 2 tiny lint balls. I hope that fixes it because I am done fiddling with this. I bought a kenmore last week for $40 bucks and have been using that and it works great but not as cool looking as the 500

Rat
11-16-2014, 11:17
I think you will find the 500A has a drop in bobbin so the "bobbin case drop" method of tension adjustment cant' be used.

Floss under the bobbin thread tension leaf spring to make sure there isn't a bit of thread or lint ball messing up the tension adjustment. Same goes for the upper tension disks (these can be taken apart to make sure they are clean and polished). A bit of thread or lint in the upper tension device can move around as you sew and ruin your tension setting.

inspect the bobbin/bobbin case/hook/feed dog area again. A lint ball or bit of thread can cause missed stitches and birds nests but can sometimes be very difficult to find. A nick from a needle strike in the needle plate hole or on the bobbin hook can do the same thing. Look hard, look close and use a bright flashlight.

You can use the bobbin case drop method, you just need to take the bobbin case out first; it's very easy. Anyway, that's just a good beginning point. Good advise on the cleaning though. Does it work better now that it's clean?

gmcttr
11-16-2014, 13:08
You can use the bobbin case drop method, you just need to take the bobbin case out first; it's very easy...

Good to know since I have two Singer 401A's. Thanks

heywoodja
11-16-2014, 13:29
Just realized we stole Zooshooters thread - sorry man. I can't find a needle that I can thread so I'll have to wait to see if this dog works.

heywoodja
11-16-2014, 16:32
97181 At least its not a bunch of loops but seems like still too much tension from the bobbin. This pic is the bottom. The top looks fine. first line is top tension about half way second line is maxed tension.

gmcttr
11-16-2014, 16:59
More likely to be too little top tension. something is preventing the tensioner from actually applying proper tension. Have you taken it apart to clean it out well?

If you pull the thread through the needle by hand, does the thread tension change between having the presser foot up (tensioner should be released) and having it down (tensioner should be applying tension)?

Rat
11-16-2014, 17:37
And you should be able to see the tensioner compress and relax when you raise and lower the presser foot, I can on mine anyway. Definitely a top tension issue though based on those stitches.

When I got Stella she had some corrosion on the tension disks. I used some steel wool to get rid o fit and I also bought another whole tension stack from ebay for little of nothing.

heywoodja
11-16-2014, 17:37
No change in tension - I pulled the upper tension apart and it was clean. I put it back together and ran some fabric though and the top was a bit loopy but the bottom was good. I added tension to bottom and it both sides look fine. Still no change in tension regardless if the foot is up or down.

Thanks for the help.

gmcttr
11-16-2014, 18:37
http://sewingdude.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/singer-500-service-manual/

See page 8 for setting up the tensioner and page 19 for removal and replacement of the tensioner. It sounds like the tensioner may not be seated all the way, the tension release pin is damaged/worn/missing/stuck or the presser foot lifting mechanism is not actuating the release pin.

zooshooter
11-17-2014, 09:14
Just realized we stole Zooshooters thread - sorry man. I can't find a needle that I can thread so I'll have to wait to see if this dog works.

I don't mind one bit. Always fun to see other people with 500/400 series machines talking about them, their issues, and how they've solved them.

heywoodja
11-17-2014, 19:48
I took it apart but couldn't see the pin. I used a flashlight and now I can see what is left of it. The pin is now too short to take the tension off with the presser foot up. I am not sure why that matters as long as I have tension when I sew. I can dial it down when I pull the foot up. I have my bug net all pinned and ready to go so may just use my other machine.

gmcttr
11-17-2014, 20:15
If the tension is not released when you thread the machine, the thread may not be fully positioned between the tension disks. If the thread is just wrapped around the outer perimeter of the disks there will not be enough tension to form a good stitch and there will not be any tension change made by turning the knob. This fits your description.

You also need the tensioner to release every time the presser foot is raised so extra thread can easily be pulled through to remove the fabric.

A release pin can be made from a nail of the correct diameter by cutting the head off and rounding the ends. Replacement pins can also be purchased online, but I have never tried one for correct length.

http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/page114.html

Wkerber
11-20-2014, 19:21
Could be that someone took it apart and did not get the tensioner seated all the way back into the housing before tightening the set screw in the frame, which would mean the presser foot lever can't fully reach the pin to push it out all the way. Or they didn't get the set screw tight enough and when the presser foot lever is raised, it is pushing the whole tensioner out of the frame a little and again out of reach.

heywoodja
11-23-2014, 12:28
Spent some time on this tension problem and I think I have figured out the issue and it is the mechanism behind the tensioner on the inside. When the presser foot is brought up the mechanism travels a little but not enough to put the rod to release tension. I pulled the rod and it measures 1 1/4" so I think it is the right part. Scanned the service manual and and can't seem to figure out how to tighten things up inside the machine so it will push the rod a little farther.

1st pic is with the foot down, the part where the rod is pushed is right above the red ball of my stitch puller.

2nd picture after raising foot. The mechanism moves but not very far

So do I fabricate a new rod that is a bit longer or try to pull this thing apart and fix it right.

Wkerber
11-23-2014, 13:04
Did you try loosening the set screw right next to the blue handle on your ripper and see if you can't lightly tap the tension mechanism back further into the frame and then re-tighten the set screw? The pin should be sticking out a little bit more towards that mechanism with the foot down. Here's a pic of mine. Kind of blurry but you can see the pin sticking out further.

heywoodja
11-23-2014, 13:14
I did try the set screw and gave the post a good tap with the thought maybe it wasn't seated deep enough but that didn't help. You can't see the rod in my picture because I had the tensioner off but when it on the rod does stick out a bit like yours.

gmcttr
11-23-2014, 13:39
Here's a couple of better photos. They are of a 401A, but the mechanism is the same.

97549 97550

There is no adjustment of the presser foot lifting mechanism and the linkage to the tensioner.

If the shaft is set in as far as possible and the tensioner is assembled correctly and the tension is still not released, you will need to get/make a longer tension release pin.

Take the shaft out and make sure there are no raised burrs from the set screw or a ding that the set screw is falling into and moving the shaft back a bit or anything else that might keep the shaft from seating correctly. Force should not be needed.

heywoodja
11-23-2014, 14:57
I tried the set screw one more time and nothing changed. I started to think maybe it is inside the tensioner where the rod pushes on the spring to release tension. The rod pushes on the metal housing that also has the - | + on it. I couldn't be sure but it looked a little like the metal on the housing was bent ever so slightly. I flipped it over and gave a few taps to make it straight and now everything works great. Seems like that 1/16 or less gap was enough to not allow the release of tension.

Thanks everyone for your help - Now back to hammocking

gmcttr
11-23-2014, 18:31
:thumbup:.