PDA

View Full Version : Sears Pad

stoikurt
04-22-2007, 17:43
I was just at Sears a little while ago looking in the Tools section. I ran accross some foam used as a liner for tool boxes and it looks very promising as a thin, light pad. It is 22 1/4" wide by 85 1/2" long by 1/8" thick. I pulled on a corner of it and could not tear it. The pad is dark charcoal or black and sells for $13.99. I'm betting it could be the same or very nearly the same as some of the Gossamer Gear Pads and probably would compare in price by the time you figure in shipping.

I may have to go back and get one even though it won't cool enough here to test it properly for a while. We do still get some nights down in the low 60's now so I could try it without my Nest.

slowhike
04-22-2007, 20:55
hey, you never know where these people are sourcing their ccf material. could be worth checking out.

Coffee
04-22-2007, 23:24
I worked at sears for awhile a couple years ago. Those work. I think they might be heavy or not thick enough for cold weather. They may turn out more durable though.

Let us know how they work out.

Fiddleback
04-23-2007, 10:47
It also sounds like my Oware pad which is not quite twice as wide at 60" long and twice the price. The ¼" pad has worked for me down to ~22° before I felt cold coming through.

Although I make it a point never to shop at Sears except for tools I will go check this out...might make for an 'add-on' for truly cold weather...

FB

stoikurt
04-23-2007, 11:26
I think I may go back by and pick one up this evening. I think it'll be fine just to ward off the chill on those mild, cool nights. It's certainly light enough. The full piece only weighed a few ounces, and I wouldn't need the full length.

Fiddleback
04-23-2007, 14:55
The full piece only weighed a few ounces, and I wouldn't need the full length.

You're probably right. The Oware at 2400sqin weighs 7oz...this Sears pad is just over 1900sqin and only half the thickness. Unless there's a huge difference in foam density the Sears pad has to be just a couple ounces. Keep us posted.

FB

Just Jeff
04-23-2007, 16:42
KMart is selling a lot of Sears stuff now - like Craftsman tools. Might find a pad like this at KMart, too.

stoikurt
04-23-2007, 20:07
I picked one up on the way home. The pad is actually only 1/16" thick. It's not cool enough outside to get a good test on it but I could feel a slight difference. As I mentioned before it might be OK to just ward off that summer night chill. It folds up very nicely and compact and can be folded in half to get a little more warmth from shoulders to hips. I'll take it to work tomorrow and weight it.

Drawer Liner 1 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=795&c=6)
Drawer Liner 2 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=796&c=6)

johnnyquest
09-05-2007, 14:33
so is there a final report on this drawer liner?

lvleph
09-05-2007, 14:39
Looks like Evazote.
http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/large/ThinLight-BIG.jpg (http://www.zotefoams.com/pages/EN/evazote.asp)
The picture is a Gossamer Gear Thinlight. Link is to Zotefoams.
I think it is probably plastazote, though.

stoikurt
09-05-2007, 15:04
It's been a while but if I remember it was around 5 ounces. You would have to double or triple it to provide much insulation but a small piece of it would be great for a sit pad or door mat under your hammock. It folded down and packed pretty well.

greggg3
09-28-2007, 11:39
Isn't this stuff the same thing as the foam shelf liner at walmart. I could only find it in 4' lengths at walmart and it looked to be ~1/16" thick but it was only like $5 for 22" or 24" wide and 48" long. Pretty thin but really lite and ...conformable..? is that a word?

warbonnetguy
09-28-2007, 12:28
the gg pad, especially the 1/8", tears with ease, so it may be something else.

I was just at Sears a little while ago looking in the Tools section. I ran accross some foam used as a liner for tool boxes and it looks very promising as a thin, light pad. It is 22 1/4" wide by 85 1/2" long by 1/8" thick. I pulled on a corner of it and could not tear it. The pad is dark charcoal or black and sells for $13.99. I'm betting it could be the same or very nearly the same as some of the Gossamer Gear Pads and probably would compare in price by the time you figure in shipping.

I may have to go back and get one even though it won't cool enough here to test it properly for a while. We do still get some nights down in the low 60's now so I could try it without my Nest.

lvleph
09-30-2007, 15:47
the gg pad, especially the 1/8", tears with ease, so it may be something else.

I haven't had any trouble with mine.

Miguel
10-08-2007, 13:10
[QUOTE=Fiddleback;13758]It also sounds like my Oware pad which is not quite twice as wide at 60" long and twice the price. The ¼" pad has worked for me down to ~22° before I felt cold coming through.

Although I make it a point never to shop at Sears except for tools I will go check this out...might make for an 'add-on' for truly cold weather...

FB[/QUOT

Fiddleback-You really didn't feel cold down to 22 degrees with a 1/4" pad? Are you an unusually hot sleeper? I'd love to find a 1/4" pad that I could use down to the 30s. Right now I'm using a Wally World 1/2" pad with wings. It rolls up fatter than I'd like.

Miguel

Fiddleback
10-09-2007, 09:38
[QUOTE=Fiddleback;13758]It also sounds like my Oware pad which is not quite twice as wide at 60" long and twice the price. The ¼" pad has worked for me down to ~22° before I felt cold coming through.

FB[/QUOT

Fiddleback-You really didn't feel cold down to 22 degrees with a 1/4" pad? Are you an unusually hot sleeper? I'd love to find a 1/4" pad that I could use down to the 30s. Right now I'm using a Wally World 1/2" pad with wings. It rolls up fatter than I'd like.

Miguel

Miguel --

I don't consider myself either a cold or hot sleeper but I do hate to be cold while trying to sleep on the trail. I always make it a point to ensure I'll be comfortable at night...one of the things that got me into hammocks in the first place!;)

With the Oware pad I wear insulated clothing (ID Dolomitti jacket and BMW Cocoon pants) along with the more common sleepwear combination of fresh long underwear and socks, balaclava, etc. With that sleep system I've been comfortable down to 25F...but that's the limit. The backyard experiment at 22F revealed that, for me, the pad needed an upgrade below 25F. The upgrade would be easy, cheap and lightweight...I just haven't been out in colder weather.

But that's the thing...sleep systems, to include under-insulation, are very much an individual thing based on a whole bunch of factors including to what cold temps the camper is adapted. Hopefully, everyone will test their systems before hitting the trail. For the most part, though, I believe that CCF pads are CCF pads and a half-inch is a half-inch...one half-inch CCF pad should pretty much perform just like another half-inch CCF pad.

My Oware is only 7oz (new versions are thinner and 6oz) but it too is bulky to pack. But one year Santa brought me a Luxury Lite pack which has a whole bunch more volume at half the weight of what I had been carrying. It nicely solved the bulky pad problem.:D

FB