PDA

View Full Version : TX > GOOSE ISLAND SP>APRIL 10-12,2015

rockportkayak
11-22-2014, 18:20
OK here is the new thread with the new date.

Starting a thread about a possible hang at Goose Island State Park in April. This should give Spring Breakers time to clear out and the annual migration of the spring birds to come in. Not to mention IT"S OYSTER SEASON! There are great amenities and we are looking at the Bayberry section sites 107-118 as the beginning. These sites are water and electric, they also have multiple hang options. These are "cleared" sites so no underbrush. If you have any questions please ask. I will be talking with rangers this week to finalize everything. SO, get ready for some springtime hanging coastal style!!

Goose Island park link :http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/goose-island

humer91
11-22-2014, 19:01
count me in

LoxyGirl
11-23-2014, 10:37
This is a better weekend for me, the first weekend is Easter weekend. So count me in for 3..... Loxygirl, buggerbear and pup

x PREACHER x
11-28-2014, 03:32
I'm a tentative probably on this one. :)

Rat
11-28-2014, 13:10
The Rat pack is in.

Mrs. Baby Huey
11-30-2014, 18:42
Baby Huey and I are in.

UncleMJM
11-30-2014, 22:55
I'm hoping to make this one. I'll commit when I know for sure.

rockportkayak
12-03-2014, 01:24
For those with Kayaks, this is an AWESOME park to paddle and fish from. Weather allowing I may be doing a sat morning run for some reds and trout. The pier is also outstanding and does not require a license. I have some lift nets and chicken necks for catching blue crabs. There is a great trail for a quick hike (also edibles.. *cough* Brandi) as well as Big Tree( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Tree,_Rockport ) just a few blocks away. There is lots of wildlife to see as well as a very friendly staff. I can't wait to show you "our park", and hope this is the first of many hangs there.

Yakfoot
01-04-2015, 11:57
Oh my, this sounds good, I have been wanting to try out GI.

ClovisMan
01-05-2015, 14:42
Tenative...have to see when the Playa Del Carmen trip is planned for sometime in April.

rockportkayak
01-05-2015, 23:04
I just got back from a weekender at the park and there were plenty of hanging options. We were in sites 107,108 and 118. Even got a few Grounders interested in hammocks. Hope to see you guys there in April.

P.S. The fish were biting. Lots of BIG sheepshead around the pier.

erinkae
01-06-2015, 07:11
I have subscribed to thread. Definitely want to join.

ClovisMan
01-07-2015, 11:42
Tenative...have to see when the Playa Del Carmen trip is planned for sometime in April.
Playa trip is April 30 through May 3, so it looks like I will be able to make this one!

Have kayaks...will travel. :)

gmcpcs
01-07-2015, 17:40
OK, I am going to subscribe and follow, I would really like to go to this one. It's a pretty long drive though, and I'm hoping to have some other issues resolved by then...so, I'm t**tative :-)

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Flynguy521
01-18-2015, 22:23
I'm looking forward to it! See you guys there!

erinkae
01-21-2015, 10:14
Is there a spreadsheet for this ? Or is it just free for all?

rockportkayak
01-22-2015, 09:26
I will be setting up a spreadsheet soon.

erinkae
01-22-2015, 09:29
I will be setting up a spreadsheet soon.
Awesome thanks [emoji3]

anjea214
01-28-2015, 12:07
I'm in! I'll be bringing my daughter and a friend for their first hang. I will also bring my tent just in case they don't take to hammocking...HAHAHAHA.

On the reservation page - should we book West Bayfront or East Bayfront?

anjea214
01-28-2015, 12:10
Er...east wooded area, I guess, based on the map?

rockportkayak
02-02-2015, 13:06
yes wooded area. Looking at the sites on Bayberry 107-118 will be the optimal with plenty of spots in each space for gather. If you want some "alone space" 225 and 219 in Live oak circle have good and plentiful options but would also be with out elect. the tent areas/primitive camp doesn't really have enough trees close enough in my opinion. There is a lot going on right now with some family health issues/relocations so please bear with me through this. Can't wait to see you guys!

Mrs. Baby Huey
02-04-2015, 11:01
I just reserved our site. Barring any major conflicts we will be arriving early Thursday morning.

gmcpcs
02-04-2015, 12:03
I just pulled the trigger on a reservation also. Time to put that annual state park pass to good use!

Take it easy,

gmcpcs

rockportkayak
02-04-2015, 23:01
***SPREADSHEET HERE****
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QlEBPDjFx5gnWggb5XfEG3on-WC_axfUkpkEP7Uo1pc/edit?usp=sharing

HOPE THAT WORKS.

***SPREADSHEET HERE***

erinkae
02-05-2015, 17:21
Still watching this one-I'm thinking I will use some vacation c/o for that Friday. Will add to spreadsheet when we know for sure!

lostagain
02-05-2015, 23:56
tree swinger and I are in

rockportkayak
02-06-2015, 15:25
Just went out to park to confirm everything with the Rangers. I will be letting them know who I have confirmed on the spreadsheet the week before the event so they can start blocking off sites for us. I may use site 107 as the "base site" as it is right next to the restroom and looks to have enough space in the back for a pot luck set up. Getting excited as the weather improves!!

anjea214
02-11-2015, 00:26
I am on my phone but will add my name to the spreadsheet tomorrow. Bringing a friend and the kidlet!

gmcpcs
02-11-2015, 11:52
OK,

I am working on getting all the trip details in place. I think I can work in a College visit, to be able to get the kids out of school on Thursday. I will be driving back to Midland from a meeting in Austin on Thursday, so I think I can rendezvous with the kids at Junction, and save quite a bit of driving time.

Therefore, I think we can get there by dark 30 on Thursday, so I will add another day on the spreadsheet :-) Friday we will cross the bay and go visit that resort called, "Texas A & M Corpus Christi", with the senior daughter and the sophomore son. (I know the A & M recruiter will be there at the hang, hint hint Uncle Mike)

Anything to get an excuse for a hammock hang! I hope the weather will be nice, and we can do some beach and fish time:cool:

Details, details.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

erinkae
02-11-2015, 11:57
Okay, got work off on that Friday the 10th. woot. :)

I added us to the spreadsheet for now. We plan on being there unless anything changes between now and then.

Flynguy521
02-11-2015, 16:43
On the spreadsheet now. Work is taken care of. Looking forward to it you guys! Y'all wanna start placing bets now for how many times ole' Gravity gets the better of me?!?!?;)

rockportkayak
02-12-2015, 12:59
OK,

I am working on getting all the trip details in place. I think I can work in a College visit, to be able to get the kids out of school on Thursday. I will be driving back to Midland from a meeting in Austin on Thursday, so I think I can rendezvous with the kids at Junction, and save quite a bit of driving time.

Therefore, I think we can get there by dark 30 on Thursday, so I will add another day on the spreadsheet :-) Friday we will cross the bay and go visit that resort called, "Texas A & M Corpus Christi", with the senior daughter and the sophomore son. (I know the A & M recruiter will be there at the hang, hint hint Uncle Mike)

Anything to get an excuse for a hammock hang! I hope the weather will be nice, and we can do some beach and fish time:cool:

Details, details.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

There is also UT marine science institute. I know a few people at TAMUCC, mostly their fishing team. :)

justicehaze
02-14-2015, 10:16
Hey guys,
I just signed up for the hang and am hoping to bring a few friends with me and get em up in the trees. Let me know what i gotta do for the potluck!

rockportkayak
02-16-2015, 10:25
I will check out the warbler way sites for when we grow out of the Bayberry

Bayrat
02-19-2015, 20:02
I have never been to one of these. Do I sign up somewhere for the event, or do I get a reservation at the park? Thanks.

EDIT: Ooops. I found "the spreadsheet." sorry for the unnecessary post.

matthew2000tx
02-19-2015, 22:30
Interested... I shall see

Flynguy521
02-20-2015, 01:18
I have never been to one of these. Do I sign up somewhere for the event, or do I get a reservation at the park? Thanks.

EDIT: Ooops. I found "the spreadsheet." sorry for the unnecessary post.

You still may want to reserve a site, or make arrangements to share a site with someone. That's where the spreadsheet comes in handy. Hope to see you there!

tarp
02-20-2015, 18:26
Hey all, I know I've been down for a while, but I'm going to try and make this one and catch up with everyone.

UncleMJM
02-20-2015, 22:53
Hey all, I know I've been down for a while, but I'm going to try and make this one and catch up with everyone.

I've missed you buddy. Glad to see you back on here and look forward to sharing a campfire with you.

hanggirl
03-06-2015, 14:37
Yikes! I just tried to make a reservation and the web site said there are no water/electric sites available for about the two whole weeks starting with april 10-12
I am so frustrated, just spent quite a while trying to work the TX system, then called them, got a message saying to call another time. They are supposed to be open until 5 today.
Did someone from our group reserve a whole block of sites? I sure am hoping so otherwise all the folks without reservations are gonna be so sad, including me.

hanggirl
03-06-2015, 14:41
oops that was for the 50 amp sites. There are still 30 amp sites available, but now my question is, can you reserve a site specific spot? I keep trying to figure out how but i'm stuck. I can do the reserve america web site in my sleep but this tx one troubles me.

gmcpcs
03-06-2015, 16:32
oops that was for the 50 amp sites. There are still 30 amp sites available, but now my question is, can you reserve a site specific spot? I keep trying to figure out how but i'm stuck. I can do the reserve america web site in my sleep but this tx one troubles me.

I believe if you want a specific spot, you have to call the park office. I did mine on the Texas parks reservation site, and they just gave me a reservation. Usually, when you arrive, you can get the one you like, unless it is crowded.

Are we thinking it will be booked up that solid though?

Take it easy,

gmcpcs

hanggirl
03-06-2015, 19:18
I don't know how solid the park is expected to book up. I'm from Florida and the park books a year in advance between Nov and April. Other times it's just usually totally booked on the weekends a couple of months in advance. It might not be like that here, but that's what I'm used to. Also there you are not allowed to call the park to make a reservation. I will try to call the park directly now that I know it is permitted here in TX. Thanks for the info.

rockportkayak
03-07-2015, 10:27
we are looking at the "wooded areas" as of 0930 March 7th there are 25 sites available. I will look into getting a "block" of sites to help those not yet reserved. Also I will be headed out to the park this week to meetup with the rangers again. Trying to keep them in the loop as much as possible to help with this first event in hopes it can become an annual thing.

lostagain
03-08-2015, 00:12
that's where we got ours. It was either there or the bay front sites and I thought that'd be too far from everyone else.

lilricky
03-08-2015, 08:58
Going to try and make this hang. It will be my first Texas hang, as I just moved here from Florida. Got greeted by some really freezing weather! :) Hope to see you guys next month!

jackh
03-10-2015, 20:46
This may sound like a dumb question, but where do you hang down there? Are there a bunch of palm trees or something? Never been to goose island SP so just wondering. Anyone bringing yaks and fishing stuff?

Mrs. Baby Huey
03-10-2015, 20:52
This may sound like a dumb question, but where do you hang down there? Are there a bunch of palm trees or something? Never been to goose island SP so just wondering. Anyone bringing yaks and fishing stuff?

I know we are bringing at least two yaks and fishing stuff, I am sure others are as well.

Bayou Russ
03-15-2015, 17:58
The Texas Gulf Coast has tons of live oaks along the mainland and on the barrier islands till about Aransas Pass. Goose Island is home too the oldest recorded live oak in the state, at 1,000 years old plus

Big Dawg
03-16-2015, 14:27
Looks like I'll be making this trip.
To bad my dream hammock won't be ready.

humer91
03-16-2015, 14:59
Looks like I'll be making this trip.
To bad my dream hammock won't be ready.

you can borrow my spare t-bird if you like

erinkae
03-16-2015, 15:03
GAH happy the notifications popped up for this hang--really looking forward to it and definitely needing the break :D

Flynguy521
03-16-2015, 17:20
Nice Big Dawg! I'll plan on bringing your chair that you left at TSP

hanggirl
03-16-2015, 23:49
I am also planning to bring a kayak. I have a second yak but no way to get it there as I can only put one on the roof of my car. If someone was passing by with a truck and room for it I would make it available for whoever wanted to play with it.

erinkae
03-18-2015, 09:15
we are looking at the "wooded areas" as of 0930 March 7th there are 25 sites available. I will look into getting a "block" of sites to help those not yet reserved. Also I will be headed out to the park this week to meetup with the rangers again. Trying to keep them in the loop as much as possible to help with this first event in hopes it can become an annual thing.

Were you able to get any blocked off? And do you have specific site numbers you were looking at?

CooOkieCOOon
03-18-2015, 09:25
Were you able to get any blocked off? And do you have specific site numbers you were looking at?

I'm curious as well. Wondering if I need to make a reservation..

I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready.

erinkae
03-18-2015, 09:33
Lol same... :D

Mrs. Baby Huey
03-18-2015, 09:47
I'm curious as well. Wondering if I need to make a reservation..

I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready.

I would make a reservation if you can. The more sites we occupy the better. I just hope we have enough trees. It should be good though. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

rockportkayak
03-18-2015, 12:12
I will have 5 kayaks(one is a tandem) available and some fishing gear. We are looking at sites 107-118 first then some others in the warbler way section . You can't book specific sites online, so I am talking to the rangers to make sure we can get the area. I will be going again tomorrow or fri with the list to let them know who is with us. please try to make a reservation if you can. I will see about next week grabbing a block if possible but don't wait for me :)

erinkae
03-18-2015, 12:15
I will have 5 kayaks available and some fishing gear. We are looking at sites 107-118 first then some others in the warbler way section . You can't book specific sites online, so I am talking to the rangers to make sure we can get the area. I will be going again tomorrow or fri with the list to let them know who is with us. please try to make a reservation if you can. I will see about next week grabbing a block if possible but don't wait for me :)

Okay sweet. I will look at the reservations today or tomorrow.

erinkae
03-18-2015, 13:28
Okay made our reservation in one of the wooded areas w/ electric & water....there are currently 19 sites available for that weekend.

Also if you don't mind...can you post a picture of what your kayaks look like?

Flynguy521
03-18-2015, 14:16
Sadly, there is a very good chance I may not make this one.

Mrs. Baby Huey
03-18-2015, 14:38
I just booked another site. My group keeps growing. So I will have two sites and I have no problem sharing if anybody needs a few trees.

erinkae
03-19-2015, 07:56
I am open for suggestion on the potluck. Not sure what everyone else is going to bring.

Mrs. Baby Huey
03-19-2015, 11:01
I am open for suggestion on the potluck. Not sure what everyone else is going to bring.

I am leaning towards doing ravioli and garlic bread. Just to have something different than normal.

erinkae
03-19-2015, 11:32
I am leaning towards doing ravioli and garlic bread. Just to have something different than normal.

Soo....maybe Italian? I can roll with that. haha. I can make homemade meatballs! Or bring salad. OR both.

gmcpcs
03-19-2015, 15:28
I am sorry, I was so looking forward to this trip. I didn't realize my daughter's senior prom was the same weekend:scared: I have to back out.

Thanks for your efforts Mr. RockportKayak, we will meet sometime again. I hope to hear an exciting trip report :-)

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

hanggirl
03-20-2015, 21:26
Ok so I made my reservation today wooo hooo! I called it in and talked to the "agent" extensively and was told to spread the word on reservation notation. Basically, he said to tell ya all when you call it in to ask them to put it in their notes that you want to be placed near the hammock hangers. There are two different places on their computer screens to make this notation. He said they would then make every effort (tho not a guarantee) to put us all close together.
So just passing on the info. Hope it helps. Sooz

hanggirl
03-21-2015, 00:52
Oh ya, and he also said to only buy firewood in their local area or at the park to avoid the spread of disease. Does anyone know a good local to the area source of firewood? In my experience state park firewood is seldom dry. YMMV
Of course, no collecting of wood in the park is allowed. FYI

Bayou Russ
03-21-2015, 01:45
Oh ya, and he also said to only buy firewood in their local area or at the park to avoid the spread of disease. Does anyone know a good local to the area source of firewood? In my experience state park firewood is seldom dry. YMMV
Of course, no collecting of wood in the park is allowed. FYI
The convenience store on 35 at the park entrance has firewood, and I'm sure there's a few places in Rockport that has some.

hanggirl
03-21-2015, 12:47
The convenience store on 35 at the park entrance has firewood, and I'm sure there's a few places in Rockport that has some.

Thanks for the info on the firewood.

Bayou Russ
03-21-2015, 19:07
Anytime, would of loved too make this but don't have hammock yet and I got a birthday party that weekend I gotta cook for. I'll go another time!

humer91
03-21-2015, 22:08
Anytime, would of loved too make this but don't have hammock yet and I got a birthday party that weekend I gotta cook for. I'll go another time!
Feel free to come out during one of the days to check out gear to help you decide what you want.

Bayou Russ
03-21-2015, 22:10
It's about a 3hr drive for me, but I'll take y'all up on it at another hang!

rockportkayak
03-24-2015, 23:10
105587 Firewood may be covered, I have a friend doing some clearing closer to our date. Spoken with the rangers about grouping us and will meet with them next week with a list of names from spreadsheet. There are 11 sites in our "main" area but many more close by so don't worry. I will scout the park again when I meet with rangers. They are very happy to have us and are looking forward to seeing the hammocks. For better pics of my kayaks look up RockportKayak on Facebook

lanejustin
03-25-2015, 06:55
I am reserving today, my site will be used by me on Friday night and by some friends on Saturday night. I will be leaving sometime Saturday morning and they will be coming in later that evening, maybe night, not sure when they will get there. They will most likely be tenters, but I may leave my hammock setups there for them to use.

hanggirl
03-25-2015, 11:36
105587 Firewood may be covered, I have a friend doing some clearing closer to our date. Spoken with the rangers about grouping us and will meet with them next week with a list of names from spreadsheet. There are 11 sites in our "main" area but many more close by so don't worry. I will scout the park again when I meet with rangers. Th ey are very happy to have us and are looking forward to seeing the hammocks. For better pics of my kayaks look up RockportKayak on Facebook

Re firewood. Your friend that is clearing trees, are any of them dead standing trees or are they all live? Live trees need to be seasoned to burn very well. Just wondering? Of course, dead standing would be ideal as it is pre-aged so to speak. Of course, you can't beat free. lol
I'm glad the rangers are so welcoming of us and wanting to see the hammock setups. Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this event to make it a success. It is appreciated.

humer91
03-25-2015, 13:13
Re firewood. Your friend that is clearing trees, are any of them dead standing trees or are they all live? Live trees need to be seasoned to burn very well. Just wondering? Of course, dead standing would be ideal as it is pre-aged so to speak. Of course, you can't beat free. lol
I'm glad the rangers are so welcoming of us and wanting to see the hammock setups. Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this event to make it a success. It is appreciated.

Wouldnt be the first hammock hang where we had to burn green wood....

Mrs. Baby Huey
03-25-2015, 13:19
Wouldnt be the first hammock hang where we had to burn green wood....

This is true humer91, too bad we won't have Chris to be our firebug this time.

rockportkayak
03-25-2015, 16:50
It should be mesquite and should be dead. I will contact him to make sure. The rangers at this park are awesome.

John B
03-25-2015, 20:28
New person here. Joined in order to make Goose Island. Took three hours to make reservation via Austin today. No guarantee on site selection. Got water only primitive area, $10 per night. No guarantee on trees. Far from shore line I'm told. This deal feels very sketchy. Concerned I will drive from Dallas in dark assigned to a lot without trees. Park says that's the chance you take first come first served.

Intend to fish. Is this a good place to wade out ? Fly fish or spinning rig ? Advice will be much appreciated.

Jbb

CooOkieCOOon
03-25-2015, 20:35
Tried to update the spread sheet but unable to do so from my phone. Going to call and make a reservation tomorrow. Really looking forward to this hang. It'll be my first any where near the coast. Going to be awesome.

humer91
03-25-2015, 20:39
Tried to update the spread sheet but unable to do so from my phone. Going to call and make a reservation tomorrow. Really looking forward to this hang. It'll be my first any where near the coast. Going to be awesome.

If you cant get a spot, i have a site reserved with just me and Faith on it so far.

CooOkieCOOon
03-25-2015, 20:41
If you cant get a spot, i have a site reserved with just me and Faith on it so far.

Sweet. Thanks, Tom. I'll update tomorrow.

hanggirl
03-26-2015, 00:04
New person here. Joined in order to make Goose Island. Took three hours to make reservation via Austin today. No guarantee on site selection. Got water only primitive area, $10 per night. No guarantee on trees. Far from shore line I'm told. This deal feels very sketchy. Concerned I will drive from Dallas in dark assigned to a lot without trees. Park says that's the chance you take first come first served.

Intend to fish. Is this a good place to wade out ? Fly fish or spinning rig ? Advice will be much appreciated.

Jbb

Welcome John B. I know what you mean about feeling sketchy but I think all will work out in the end. I wish they would make site specific reservations but they don't. Youtube has a video of someone showing all the campsites in that park. In it you will see that near the water has absolutely no trees so it's good you are not going to be there. You apparently choose your spot on arrival. From looking at the video it looks like there are many good spots with multiple hang options. So even if you get a bad spot, which I doubt as we are being looked after by rockportkayak and the rangers are going to try to put us all close together in the tree section, someone will make sure to share their spot so you will have a hang spot. I know you are coming a long way and the uncertainties can be a bit nervewracking. It looks like a beautiful park and I'm sure we will all have a great time.

John B
03-26-2015, 04:47
Thanks for the reassurance Hang Girl but I might have messed myself up by asking tree section and ending up in a primitive area away from the rest of the group. But then I would prefer a quieter site anyway so that might work out.

Mrs. Baby Huey
03-26-2015, 06:37
Thanks for the reassurance Hang Girl but I might have messed myself up by asking tree section and ending up in a primitive area away from the rest of the group. But then I would prefer a quieter site anyway so that might work out.

We have reserved two sites, so we may have plenty of extra room.

Baby Huey
03-26-2015, 06:45
I wouldn't put too much worry into the trees. Usually when we get together it becomes one large campsite with no boundaries in our eyes. Most people would be happy to loan trees from their site. Reservations are a good thing though as the main concern so far has been parking. Usually limited to 2 vehicles per camp site so the more reservations the better imho. Good times will be had by all. Someone one may end up on the ground at some point or another as it seems the last 3-4 meets here in Texas someone has hit the ground at least once per trip due to various reasons. The main reason being my hammock chair it seems. Another reason seemed to be me inadequately weight rating a stick that I used as a toggle. Either way, when you head out leave your worries at the house and we will have a good time, share some good stories, share some good food, and hopefully give the basis for at least a couple of new stories.

humer91
03-26-2015, 09:28
I wouldn't put too much worry into the trees. Usually when we get together it becomes one large campsite with no boundaries in our eyes. Most people would be happy to loan trees from their site. Reservations are a good thing though as the main concern so far has been parking. Usually limited to 2 vehicles per camp site so the more reservations the better imho. Good times will be had by all. Someone one may end up on the ground at some point or another as it seems the last 3-4 meets here in Texas someone has hit the ground at least once per trip due to various reasons. The main reason being my hammock chair it seems. Another reason seemed to be me inadequately weight rating a stick that I used as a toggle. Either way, when you head out leave your worries at the house and we will have a good time, share some good stories, share some good food, and hopefully give the basis for at least a couple of new stories.

I blame your chair. And alcohol. And being tired. Dreadful combination.

At least i havent tried to burn down BigDawgs backpack in a few months, so I am ahead of the curve there I suppose.

John B
03-27-2015, 19:43
So can we get a little fishing advice about the wade and pier fishing around Goose Island. Any fisher persons going to be along ?

Baby Huey
03-27-2015, 22:40
So can we get a little fishing advice about the wade and pier fishing around Goose Island. Any fisher persons going to be along ?

I love fishing and love fishing around Rockport and Corpus but have no experience with Goose Island. I will see what my Google-Fu comes up with though.

lostagain
03-27-2015, 23:10
I'm bringing tackle and at least one spin rod and one fly rod. don't laugh at my chest/vest rig. I repurposed some old MOLLE gear into afly vest and a chest rig. :)

John B
03-27-2015, 23:52
We will have some medium spinning rigs for wading and probably a 8 fly rod not that I ever do well with it. I guess the water is still cool enough for waders but i will bring some wet shoes and ray guards in case that's the ticket.

Baby Huey
03-28-2015, 00:11
http://www.stxmaps.com/go/goose-island-state-park-fishing-pier.html

http://www.fishingscout.com/fishing-reports/texas/goose-island-state-park-tx

rockportkayak
03-28-2015, 19:48
Our water has been in the 70s which makes the fish happy. Shrimp catch everything , but I use pure artificials. Spook jrs and paddletails will be fine around the shore and from the pier. As far as the site go, if you got a primitive site I would say that 225 and 219 on Live Oak circle are your main bets, other than that 201-203 are possible but the large cluster of sites has little tree. That being said, most of the water/electric sites in the main "wooded area" have MULTIPLE hang spots so finding room shouldn't be an issue. I will be going next week to meet with rangers and start working out "our space" based on name reservations from the spreadsheet. They have said that there should be no problems with getting us together and are looking forward to the event. Since this is the first event being held there(hopefully not the last), this one is the learning curve for the rangers. After they meet us and understand how great we are :) things will go smoother. As I stated before I will have a few kayaks available and was thinking about maybe a sat morning paddle. There are excellent birding opportunities as well as world class fishing. Hope this ramble helps somebody :)

John B
03-30-2015, 21:29
Our water has been in the 70s which makes the fish happy. Shrimp catch everything , but I use pure artificials. Spook jrs and paddletails will be fine around the shore and from the pier. As far as the site go, if you got a primitive site I would say that 225 and 219 on Live Oak circle are your main bets, other than that 201-203 are possible but the large cluster of sites has little tree. That being said, most of the water/electric sites in the main "wooded area" have MULTIPLE hang spots so finding room shouldn't be an issue. I will be going next week to meet with rangers and start working out "our space" based on name reservations from the spreadsheet. They have said that there should be no problems with getting us together and are looking forward to the event. Since this is the first event being held there(hopefully not the last), this one is the learning curve for the rangers. After they meet us and understand how great we are :) things will go smoother. As I stated before I will have a few kayaks available and was thinking about maybe a sat morning paddle. There are excellent birding opportunities as well as world class fishing. Hope this ramble helps somebody :)

John B
03-30-2015, 21:33
Thanks for the update on fishing. I have reserved an as yet unassigned primitive site with water only. They said the area was back in the trees a long way from the fishing and the car. That's all I know. Sounds a little "buggy" but I guess it all might be. Bringing Cutters.

John B
03-30-2015, 21:33
Thanks for the update on fishing. I have reserved an as yet unassigned primitive site with water only. They said the area was back in the trees a long way from the fishing and the car. That's all I know. Sounds a little "buggy" but I guess it all might be. Bringing Cutters.

John B
03-30-2015, 21:35
I bet some of the far northern hammock folk would like to do Goose Island in January.

erinkae
04-01-2015, 10:19
Still trying to think of something for the potluck. Thinking about doing the mac n cheese or mashed potatoes....

Mrs. Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 10:26
Still trying to think of something for the potluck. Thinking about doing the mac n cheese or mashed potatoes....

Either of those would work. It would go well with Hummer91 brats. I am doing ravioli and garlic bread. I am trying to keep it simple this time.

erinkae
04-01-2015, 10:30
Either of those would work. It would go well with Hummer91 brats. I am doing ravioli and garlic bread. I am trying to keep it simple this time.

Yeah. I figured UncleMJM and Cookiecoon would want the mac n cheese. So I think I will go with that again.

Mrs. Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 10:33
Yeah. I figured UncleMJM and Cookiecoon would want the mac n cheese. So I think I will go with that again.

Make extra, my boys will be there and that is their favorite as well. LOL

CooOkieCOOon
04-01-2015, 10:34

MAC & CHEESE, MAC & CHEESE, MAC & CHEESE, MAC & CHEESE!!

erinkae
04-01-2015, 10:37

hahaha! OKAY! Mac n cheese it is!

UncleMJM
04-01-2015, 13:20

+ 1,000,000

UncleMJM
04-01-2015, 13:37

I do love me some Mac n Cheese. I also love both Brats and Ravioli w/garlic bread.

I'm going to have my bride fix a sopapilla cheesecake. Texas Longhorns wants to do a pot roast with black eyed peas, (we are still thinking on that one) and I'm open to additional suggestions/requests.

My only limitation is I want to fix something I don't do at other hangs.

So how about some ideas?

erinkae
04-01-2015, 13:52
I do love me some Mac n Cheese. I also love both Brats and Ravioli w/garlic bread.

I'm going to have my bride fix a sopapilla cheesecake. Texas Longhorns wants to do a pot roast with black eyed peas, (we are still thinking on that one) and I'm open to additional suggestions/requests.

My only limitation is I want to fix something I don't do at other hangs.

So how about some ideas?

Yeesh...I could barely think of anything for myself to bring...I all out of ideas haha. Work has been draining my creativity! But if i think of something I will let ya know. :D

CooOkieCOOon
04-01-2015, 14:01
[QUOTE=So how about some ideas?[/QUOTE]

For the sake of a coastal hang, I cast my vote:

Dutch oven fish tacos. I love Dutch ovens. I love fish. I LOVE TACOS..

http://youtu.be/avDPfEBSgVE

humer91
04-01-2015, 14:14
I will not be doing Brats this time. Instead I will be doing.....Italian Sausages...to go along with Cheryl's raviolis.

Mrs. Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 14:20
I will not be doing Brats this time. Instead I will be doing.....Italian Sausages...to go along with Cheryl's raviolis.

Yummy!!!

erinkae
04-01-2015, 14:29

hahaha! I am not a huge fan of fish...BUT if someone did attempt this...I would be willing to try it.

erinkae
04-01-2015, 14:30
+ 1,000,000

ALLLL the mac n cheese for you and cookiecoon.

erinkae
04-01-2015, 14:31
....what about fried SHRIMP....? Cookie had a point---it is a coastal trip....and fried shrimp is yummy...

CooOkieCOOon
04-01-2015, 14:32
hahaha! I am not a huge fan of fish...BUT if someone did attempt this...I would be willing to try it.

You may have just lost rankings in my friends list.. [emoji19]

erinkae
04-01-2015, 14:38

hahahaha! I didn't say I completely hated it! I just have not had the best experiences with fish.

Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 14:41
hahahaha! I didn't say I completely hated it! I just have not had the best experiences with fish.

I may step up and fry up some fish nuggets to accompany the meal or maybe do that Friday night to see if we can change your opinion on that. Provided the Mrs. is ok with me doing it. When she is cooking it is kinda her kitchen lol.

erinkae
04-01-2015, 14:44
I may step up and fry up some fish nuggets to accompany the meal or maybe do that Friday night to see if we can change your opinion on that. Provided the Mrs. is ok with me doing it. When she is cooking it is kinda her kitchen lol.

If you do I will try it...as long as there aren't bones... I think I will be okay. :D Lol good luck on getting into the kitchen. I know how it goes... cause I am the same way lol.

Mrs. Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 14:45

I might give him one pot, but we will see. We may have to set up dueling kitchens.

humer91
04-01-2015, 15:33
I might give him one pot, but we will see. We may have to set up dueling kitchens.

Do i hear banjos?

erinkae
04-01-2015, 15:47
OH does anyone like deer sausage? A coworker of mine just brought me some today...I can bring some next weekend if anyone wants to try some.

Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 15:49
OH does anyone like deer sausage? A coworker of mine just brought me some today...I can bring some next weekend if anyone wants to try some.

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm YES!!! lol

erinkae
04-01-2015, 15:50
Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm YES!!! lol

Okay perfect!! Do you eat yours mixed with anything...say potatoes and onions? Or just plain?

Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 15:53
Okay perfect!! Do you eat yours mixed with anything...say potatoes and onions? Or just plain?

If you have ever seen me, you would realize I am probably the least picky person when it comes to grub. Other may chime in, but I am down for whatever.

erinkae
04-01-2015, 15:54
If you have ever seen me, you would realize I am probably the least picky person when it comes to grub. Other may chime in, but I am down for whatever.

Lol I have, but I just wanted to make sure :D

UncleMJM
04-01-2015, 16:15
ALLLL the mac n cheese for you and cookiecoon.

:boggle::boggle::boggle: Yep, that makes me happy!

I"m loving the idea of eating critters that swim. I can't catch em, but I can sure eat em. I'll even be glad to help cook em. In fact, I bet if I looked, I could even find a Dutch Oven to use to that end.

....what about fried SHRIMP....? Cookie had a point---it is a coastal trip....and fried shrimp is yummy...

Fried, boiled, roasted, grilled, wrapped in bacon...

Yes, questionable taste, but let's not forget the Mac n Cheese points. :shades:

Far be it for me to get anywhere close to a domestic dispute, but if all that's needed is a pot… Baby Huey, I've got your back. Just let me know how big and how many. :lol:

Um, YES.

erinkae
04-01-2015, 16:22
" Fried, boiled, roasted, grilled, wrapped in bacon..."

Um...YES?

UncleMJM
04-01-2015, 16:25
" Fried, boiled, roasted, grilled, wrapped in bacon..."

Um...YES?

Okay, I didn't put as many mmmmmmm's in for emphasis, but I like it. Bring it. Prepare it any way you like and I'll eat it.

Mrs. Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 17:08
I will take a look at the fish market this weekend and see what water critters we can make up for maybe Friday night. And yes hun, I will try and share my kitchen with you.

humer91
04-01-2015, 17:34
Maybe we can actually catch some fish....

Mrs. Baby Huey
04-01-2015, 17:58
That would be even better.

hanggirl
04-01-2015, 23:37
If no one has committed to salad I will bring a green salad and dressings. Sorry to say, it will be non-amphibious for all ya fish lovers. The vegetarians will be happy though. lol
I'm so excited to be going on this hang. Put my hammock up in the park yesterday afternoon so I could put my new snakeskins on the tarp. Gotta start packing yaa hooo.

Mrs. Baby Huey
04-02-2015, 07:08
If no one has committed to salad I will bring a green salad and dressings. Sorry to say, it will be non-amphibious for all ya fish lovers. The vegetarians will be happy though. lol
I'm so excited to be going on this hang. Put my hammock up in the park yesterday afternoon so I could put my new snakeskins on the tarp. Gotta start packing yaa hooo.

Salad sounds perfect, most people forget about the veges.

John B
04-03-2015, 05:37
As I understand it, we are allowed to fish off the pier without a license. If you wade you will need one. Any one know if that is true ? I am bringing, unless the potential rain scares them away, two extra folks who are eager to fish. Any one have any experience with the wade fishing there ?

Is anyone else planning on fishing ?

John B
04-03-2015, 05:38
My Ipad is calling for rain any news from the local weather forecasts yet ?

Hornman
04-03-2015, 08:40
I'll be there. Put me down for two. question can we arrive early? Looking to arrive on the 9th

Hornman
04-03-2015, 08:42
Yes that's true. No license needed with Texas State Parks however if you hit the water that's another story...

hanggirl
04-03-2015, 09:37
Kayaking can also be affected by rainy weather. Last time I checked the winds were 15ish and my yak has a lot of freeboard, meaning it doesn't like wind, meaning I have to work to dang hard unless the wind is 10 or under. So my question is, (and yes, there is a question in all this gabbing) are there protected waters to yak in? Like creeks, rivers etc? Or is it all open water stuff? Trying to decide whether the weather nixes bringing the yak. Comments anyone?

humer91
04-03-2015, 10:46
I still plan to bring my 2 ocean kayaks. Not gonna rain the WHOLE weekend....i hope.

erinkae
04-03-2015, 18:46
I'll be there. Put me down for two. question can we arrive early? Looking to arrive on the 9th

Yeah you can arrive early. Some people plan on being there on Thursday. There is a spreadsheet on google we use to sign up etc. a couple of pages back. :D1

humer91
04-03-2015, 19:53
Assuming my large package from UGQ gets here on Wednesday (another set of quilts, another tarp, some other assorted stuff), I will be leaving sometime Thursday morning for the drive to the coast.

In other news, I recently ended my sabbatical and am back working (in a clinic now, no more ER for me for a while). Told my bosses I am good for any days but once a month or so i take a long weekend to go hammock camping and they were very cool about it, just said to make sure to try to give them a weeks notice and it would be ok. Only a week, wow, I love this new job.

John B
04-03-2015, 19:53
Bring them anyway there is probably some leeward areas you can work with them. Any word on the sting ray situation in that neck of the gulf ?

erinkae
04-03-2015, 19:59
Assuming my large package from UGQ gets here on Wednesday (another set of quilts, another tarp, some other assorted stuff), I will be leaving sometime Thursday morning for the drive to the coast.

In other news, I recently ended my sabbatical and am back working (in a clinic now, no more ER for me for a while). Told my bosses I am good for any days but once a month or so i take a long weekend to go hammock camping and they were very cool about it, just said to make sure to try to give them a weeks notice and it would be ok. Only a week, wow, I love this new job.

nice! Gratz on the nice job :D

rockportkayak
04-04-2015, 08:40
I will be heading out to talk to rangers today/tomorrow so update spreadsheet if you have reservations. Kayaking in the area offers many opportunities for many wind situations. Fishing has been good from kayaks, and yes you can fish from land/pier w/o license but wading/kayak does require one. I am going to try to fish every morning that the weather allows and I have extra gear for those that want to give it a go. Double checking on the firewood this afternoon and checking on a backup just in case. REALLY getting excited about this and hope this can develop into an annual thing. SPreadsheet link below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QlEBPDjFx5gnWggb5XfEG3on-WC_axfUkpkEP7Uo1pc/edit?usp=sharing

lilricky
04-04-2015, 10:02
Looking forward to this, I'll be arriving early Sat morning due to work. This will be my first organized hang here in Texas, looking forward to meeting you guys!

Baby Huey
04-04-2015, 10:19
Bring them anyway there is probably some leeward areas you can work with them. Any word on the sting ray situation in that neck of the gulf ?

Slide your feet is always good practice when wade fishing. I don't think many reports will give you enough info to judge stingrays. I lost my balance and stepped on a flounder once and the vibration it produced on the bottom of my shoe scared the crap outta me. I was instantly praying it was not a ray.

rockportkayak
04-04-2015, 12:57
Rays have been really light this past year and the bottom around the park isn't conducive to them. We will be doing some Cajun boiled LOCAL shrimp from our fish monger, so there will be seafood at the pot luck. Hopefully we can get some redfish to throw in sat morning.

rockportkayak
04-04-2015, 13:06
OK we reserved the last 3 spots in the wooded area with water/electric. we will hold those until people show up on friday to keep us all together.

sargevining
04-04-2015, 14:15
Rays have been really light this past year and the bottom around the park isn't conducive to them. We will be doing some Cajun boiled LOCAL shrimp from our fish monger, so there will be seafood at the pot luck. Hopefully we can get some redfish to throw in sat morning.

How does one mong fish anyway?

humer91
04-04-2015, 14:32
How does one mong fish anyway?

One fish at a time?

rockportkayak
04-04-2015, 16:25
"Mongo likes candy."
Bet that flies over the younger heads. Awesome movie "blazing saddles"

sargevining
04-04-2015, 16:51
Mongo just pawn in game of life.

John B
04-04-2015, 20:18
Sea trout would be good as well.

lostagain
04-04-2015, 23:56
So, just updated the spreadsheet and said we'll bring dessert. Any suggestions for that? We were thinking cookies/cake/sweetness, but I'm also leaning towards a couple of small watermelons. Whaddya think?

rockportkayak
04-05-2015, 09:46
Weather looks like 70* nighttime, 75*daytime, 30% chance of showers Sat. High humidity all weekend, mild wind

John B
04-06-2015, 10:51
Ryan,

I'm just a little confused. Was I supposed to be reserving a site in your "block" when I entered onto the spread sheet. I have one "primitive" reserved site unknown and now my group has grown so I am attempting to phone Tx Parks Res. to add a site. Then it occurred to me I might be double booking because of the spread sheet entry. Can you let me know what I am supposed to be doing on this reservation deal ? Thanks....
I will be away from forum access for a few hours but can be reached via email at [email protected]

Thank you and sorry to be a bother,
John B.

rockportkayak
04-06-2015, 11:45
There is not a "Group" reservation just individuals. It appears that all of the water/electric sites are now booked. I believe that we have an extra site. The "primitive" sites are still available and you can still book one of those. The "main" sites have multiple hanging options so others may have space for you guys on their sites. Again I am sorry about the miscommunication with the rangers and I am heading out to the park today to try and get this fixed.

John B
04-06-2015, 19:29
Ryan,

Around noon today I was able to book a second primitive site. I would hope I can pull those together so my four person party can be together. But since they can't guarantee unit number I guess I will have to beg upon arrival.

For everyone's info, there were 14 primitive sites still available as of noon today. (Monday)

We are really looking forward to meeting all of you and hopefully catching a few reds and trout.

John B

humer91
04-06-2015, 20:15
Since Sarge isn't able to make the trip down this weekend, I will be reprising the role of grumpy old veteran (not a stretch, I know).

Now, get off my lawn!!

sargevining
04-06-2015, 21:16
Yah!

Get off his lawn!

Baby Huey
04-07-2015, 14:16
Yah!

Get off his lawn!

Need to get you a couple of pinwheels, pink flamingos, and garden gnomes for your camping yard.

hanggirl
04-08-2015, 16:27
FYI the tent caterpillars are quite terrible here north of houston so I thought to call goose island and see what was up there. My RV is crawling with thousands and thousands of the creepy critters and the idea of having them crawling all over everything as we camp was not a welcome one.
When I talked to them this morning they said, yes the caterpillars are starting to show up there. Apparently they start slow and then accelerate the insanity as days go by.
I just wanted to make everyone aware of this. I don't know how bad it really is there yet but once it starts it's usually not pleasant. You may want to call and ask about it for yourself. Or maybe it really doesn't matter to you. Just sharing facts. I must say I am quite disappointed to hear that they are at the park. I was hoping for a better answer.

humer91
04-08-2015, 17:00
Need to get you a couple of pinwheels, pink flamingos, and garden gnomes for your camping yard.

hmmmmmmmm....

sargevining
04-08-2015, 17:18
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post

hmmmmmmmm....

Uh oh

erinkae
04-09-2015, 07:44
Looks like there is going to be some rain this weekend :(

rockportkayak
04-09-2015, 07:50
I have a large canopy I will be bringing. I am about to head out there and grab our spots, then I will go grab the wood. As you guys arrive just look for the trailer of Viking kayaks marking the base camp. WOOHOO it's time to swing from the trees!!

erinkae
04-09-2015, 07:52
I have a large canopy I will be bringing. I am about to head out there and grab our spots, then I will go grab the wood. As you guys arrive just look for the trailer of Viking kayaks marking the base camp. WOOHOO it's time to swing from the trees!!

Yeah I will be looking at a canopy for our site. Were you able to get block sites for everyone with water/electric sites?

Flynguy521
04-11-2015, 10:23
Hope you guys have fun. Been absent from the forum for a while. Lot going on. Enjoy it and watch out for "The Saboteur"!

Baby Huey
04-11-2015, 12:07
Hope you guys have fun. Been absent from the forum for a while. Lot going on. Enjoy it and watch out for "The Saboteur"!

Having fun so far even though there had been some rain. I almost took Humer's head off with a kayak so far and it seems this Texas meet, it was my turn to hit the ground. Wish you were here.

Baby Huey
04-12-2015, 19:22
Huey Clan home safe and sound. Had a blast and think we converted a few people to hanging. Weather was not perfect, but we made the best of it and had fun in spite of the off and on weather issues.

erinkae
04-12-2015, 19:45
We had a great time!! Was good to see everyone again and eat delicious food! Hope to see everyone again soon :D

John B
04-13-2015, 21:29
To all Goose Island attendees: Thanks for all the hospitality and help at Goose Island. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

John, JOhn and Jon

Texas longhorns
01-21-2016, 14:09
We are planing to bring are kayaks

Bayou Russ
02-08-2016, 15:27
Y'all plan on doing this again?