PDA

View Full Version : 1985-ish Kenmore Sewing Machine

OneClick
11-22-2014, 18:50
I'm totally not a DIY person. I'm the type that tries, gets frustrated and turns out spending more in the end after botching up a job.

But, more and more I'm coming across a few small job where I would use this thing (trees straps, hemming pants, etc.)

I just remembered my mom has a Kenmore sewing machine from the early-mid 80s that she probably only used a few times. She made it look really hard to use, so not sure if it was her or the machine.

Is it time for me to start injecting some thread? I thought about asking her for it to try and see if I could get the hang of it.

In general, what's the learning curve? Sorry I don't have an exact model number, but will update this thread with my progress, if any.

gmcttr
11-22-2014, 19:17
Get it if you can.

The learning curve to do some simple stitching should be relatively short. The instruction manual should give you all the directions you need to get started.

Start by following the cleaning and oiling instructions thoroughly.

Pay particular attention to threading the machine correctly and understanding the tension adjustments and what effect they have.

If you or the machine have any issues, post up and we will do our best to help.

Ramblinrev
11-22-2014, 20:14
Using a sewing machine takes a couple hours to learn and a lifetime to master. Gear making is on the hours length of that curve unless you fixate over truely meaningless things like moderately crooked seams. Functional is done and done is beautiful. It's that simple. There are lots of resources around to help with the basics. Beyond that it is practice and experience supplemented by some lessons if needed. Gear making is pretty simple.