PDA

View Full Version : 10 x 10 tarp...

whitefoot_hp
04-23-2007, 11:22
I know this guy who has offerred to hook me up with and make me a silnylon tarp. he makes homemade tarps. given this good opportunity, should ten by ten hung diagonally be pretty storm worthy? how much longer should my diagonal be than my 'ridgeline'? how much longer does the tarp need to extend past my hammock ends? from what ive read some of you might think this excessive, but i would enjoy the xtra coverage. i dont mind a little xtra weight. however, how would you compare a 10 by 10 to an 8 by 8? will i gain that much function with the larger tarp? keep in mind i have a doublenest eno and i am six foot six.

jlb2012
04-23-2007, 11:28
I used to use a 10 x 10 from Oware - great coverage but noisey in the wind because the seam was not on the diagonal and the tarp would flap sometimes very loudly - also tended to form a pocket to catch rain near the seam and sometimes the water would force through the seam. Note I did not have a line under the tarp but just tied out the diagonal corners to the trees - never tried it with a line under the tarp so I don't know what that would do.

lvleph
04-23-2007, 12:30
If he will make you any type of tarp go with the blackcat.

blackbishop351
04-23-2007, 12:42
IMO a 10x10 would be cumbersome. Hung square it wouldn't be long enough, and on the diagonal you'll have a ~ 14' ridge to deal with, limiting pitch options. I had issues finding hangs with my Neo 9x9. I also didn't feel that the 9x9 gave enough coverage in the middle for lounging, cooking, etc., but 10x10 might not have that issue. I'll second lvleph's suggestion about getting your guy to make you a BlackCat...but then again I'm biased :p

whitefoot_hp
04-23-2007, 13:33
i would love the black cat style but ill have to talk with him about his abilities in making one. he's not a hammocker so i dont know if he'll like all the effort. if he doesnt, will an 8 x8 at least keep me rain proof? im about to go hang my hammock and get a solid measurement of how long it is hung and what i think a good ridgeline will be...

blackbishop351
04-23-2007, 14:10
i would love the black cat style but ill have to talk with him about his abilities in making one. he's not a hammocker so i dont know if he'll like all the effort. if he doesnt, will an 8 x8 at least keep me rain proof? im about to go hang my hammock and get a solid measurement of how long it is hung and what i think a good ridgeline will be...

If he doesn't want to mess with the cat curves, at least try and talk him into a hex...the shape is just better IMO.

As far as the 8x8 goes, I guess it depends on your definition of "rainproof." I think the end coverage is somewhat less-than-adequate for blowing rain. It also doesn't leave much room for keeping dry in the middle while doing stuff...JMO.

whitefoot_hp
04-23-2007, 14:38
what about 9x9?

Just Jeff
04-23-2007, 16:46
I think the JRB 8x8 is plenty of coverage, but I'm not 6'6". 9x9 would be good, IMO. Just depends on how much extra space you want for changing clothes, cooking, etc.

The hex gives better views out the side while still giving good coverage, though - that's an important bonus.

There's a comparison of the 8x8 and MacCat on my tarp page (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html).

Peter_pan
04-23-2007, 18:39
If he doesn't want to mess with the cat curves, at least try and talk him into a hex...the shape is just better IMO.

As far as the 8x8 goes, I guess it depends on your definition of "rainproof." I think the end coverage is somewhat less-than-adequate for blowing rain. It also doesn't leave much room for keeping dry in the middle while doing stuff...JMO.

BB, et al.

There are some pictures with a Mac Cat overlayed on a JRB 8x8.... They may be on JJ Site.... Any way, when you look at the overlay, one notes the ridge lines are near identgical and the angle to the side tie out is nearly identical to the side angle of the 8x8....some variance of the cat curve vs the straight side, but minimal issue on the coverage issue as the cat cut is not a deep curve... the bottom corners only pull past the sided of the 8x8 by about 4 inches on each end.... but trade off the continuing triangle of covetrage by the 8x8 extends about another 15-18 inches.

Point is, the ridge line and side coverages are near identical....

Also, Note that the 8x8 has mid side tie outs as well... they are seldom used by most folk.... However, using them if expecting bad storm winds and in an unprotected area will strengthen the standard diamond pitch to equal or outperform the better tensioning hex design.

I'm biased, but the facts bear these points out.

Pan

blackbishop351
04-23-2007, 19:32
Pan -

I'm not knocking your tarp in any way. IMO tarps are just as much about personal preference as anything else.. for instance, Rock still loves his stock HH tarp while most people prefer something bigger. I guess what I meant is that FOR ME, the 8x8 coverage isn't ideal. I'm also a bit of a super-wuss when it comes to getting wet, though. :p

Just Jeff
04-23-2007, 21:21
BB's tarp is bigger than the MacCat in those pics, too...I agree on the super-wuss part! :D

I've never gotten wet under either the 8x8 or the MacCat Standard. Haven't been through a hurricane, though.

blackbishop351
04-23-2007, 21:33
I just uploaded a pic of my personal BlackCat hung together with a JRB 8x8. Here's the link:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=797&c=7

They're not quite centered on each other, but they're close enough for comparison. Like I said, I'm a super-wuss about weather! :p

Just Jeff
04-23-2007, 21:36
Is that BlackCat with the dimensions listed in your instructions? And what's the weight on that particular tarp?

blackbishop351
04-23-2007, 21:58
Is that BlackCat with the dimensions listed in your instructions? And what's the weight on that particular tarp?

Yeah that's my personal one - the first I made. No grosgrain, no D-rings. Came in 14-15 oz. with seam sealing. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head. I think I posted the exact weight on a thread at some point, though.

Peter_pan
04-24-2007, 06:19
BB,

I know your not knocking the 8x8.... It interesting to note that the coverage of the regular Mac Cat and it are near identical.

Now to Your Black Cat....Nice tarp.... that really is huge, though... Didn't realize how big it was at Mt Rogers.... It is a lot closer to an 10x12 with, 22* truncated corners and catenary sides....

Least you'll be a dry comrtable wuss ;)

Pan

blackbishop351
04-24-2007, 07:02
BB,

I know your not knocking the 8x8.... It interesting to note that the coverage of the regular Mac Cat and it are near identical.

Now to Your Black Cat....Nice tarp.... that really is huge, though... Didn't realize how big it was at Mt Rogers.... It is a lot closer to an 10x12 with, 22* truncated corners and catenary sides....

Least you'll be a dry comrtable wuss ;)

Pan

Yeah, it's definitely a whopper. 12' ridge, 11' overall width before hemming. The diagonals cut a bit more than 22*...I think the angle is something like 62* from the ridge before the cat cuts.

Bird Dog
04-24-2007, 07:42
That thing is monstrous. While my MacCat worked well for me on the FTC, I could have used one of those townhomes, err BlackCats the day it poured ALL DAY LONG. BD

Coffee
04-24-2007, 09:10
I am with BB on the wuss thing. My tarp is 12'x10'. I would have went with the larger one, but my material was only 5' wide. I thought mine is huge. Mine most be the one bedroom, while the Blackcat is the 2 bedroom.

Bird Dog
04-24-2007, 09:12
I am with BB on the wuss thing. My tarp is 12'x10'. I would have went with the larger one, but my material was only 5' wide. I thought mine is huge. Mine most be the one bedroom, while the Blackcat is the 2 bedroom.

Thats still big enough to hang a disco ball from when you start your thru.....Party at HE's place! :D BD

Coffee
04-24-2007, 09:18
Thats still big enough to hang a disco ball from when you start your thru.....Party at HE's place! :D BD

All right. Giggity giggity.:cool: :cool:

funbun
04-27-2007, 09:28
So who is the guy making these mystery tarps?

SuperTroll
05-18-2007, 14:25
Gotta be kiddin me...I use the 10X 10 Campmor nylon tarp, or the SG 12X12..you can NEVER have to much room under your tarp IMHO...but then I'm hauling the whole setup around in a kayak instead of on my back...

a ridgeline helps with puddling, and I must agree it's a bit more difficult to find a place to pitch, but worth the extra effort....if the tieout ropes on the hammock were longer I'd just be using a LARGER TARP...heh heh heh...

oh, and I pack a chair too...har!

SurfinBirdman
07-26-2010, 07:01
@supertroll

...AWESOME... I'm a kayaker too and also use the 10x10, what config do you use?

i took mine and added tie outs so it works as a hex with doors, i like it cause i can tie normal square or a hex with doors depending on the weather