PDA

View Full Version : Big signatures

mudsocks
11-24-2014, 22:03
We've received an increasing number of complaints about the growing number of signatures that are long and use excessive size. As explained to me the former is a major issue for the visually impaired using screen readers. Others feel excessive signatures clutter the forum and hinder readability.

I'm respectfully asking anyone with a large/long signature to scale it down.

Thanks for understanding,
-Jeremy

riverjoe
11-24-2014, 22:34
You mean like something with more then 5 syllables ?

Gresh
11-24-2014, 22:38
Supercalifragilisticexpialidicious.

Xtrm tj
11-24-2014, 22:39
Can I get some opinion on mine please? Seems to me that we are just looking for things to complain about.

To each his own....I guessing does apply here?

Just my $.02, I'm surprised at times what irritates some people.

Edit: the above original reply from me sounds harsh looking at again today.

However I don't want signature, info, links to ever go away. Font size means nothing to me. If I need to change some mods...please PM me.

Carry on everyone.

sargevining
11-24-2014, 22:43
People do know they can shut signatures off, right?

Go to Your Profile, Settings, General Settings, scroll down until you see this:

Thread Display Options
Visible Post Elements:
Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)
You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

Uncheck "Show signatures"

Problem solved.

SilvrSurfr
11-24-2014, 23:13

Go to Your Profile, Settings, General Settings, scroll down until you see this:

Uncheck "Show signatures"

Problem solved.

Seems like the easiest solution to me.

IRONFISH45
11-24-2014, 23:31
Just learned something new!

Rolloff
11-24-2014, 23:56
Seems like the easiest solution to me.

Wouldn't be the HF way.

How about only the ones people find offensive? You could even start a thread to discuss who's heads should roll. :thumbup:

mudsocks
11-25-2014, 00:20

Problem solved.

Easy enough for most of us but I'm more concerned about those with visual impairments. See the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvWCnFjAGgo

Wouldn't be the HF way.

How about only the ones people find offensive? You could even start a thread to discuss who's heads should roll. :thumbup:

The HF way is to assume no offense is intended.

Shug
11-25-2014, 01:19
All secure in sector seven....
Shug

ripstopbytheroll
11-25-2014, 01:39
Took a little off the top. Or bottom...

12trysomething
11-25-2014, 07:11
I adjusted my size from 2 and 3 to 1 and 2. Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

inspectorguy
11-25-2014, 07:31
All secure in sector seven....
Shug

shug... you in there?... shug...

OutandBack
11-25-2014, 13:09
I find the jokes on this issue very disrespectful to those that need to use one of these services and the mod team.

It's a signature not an advertizing banner.
For vendors it's a signature and a link to their store and never ment to be anything else.

PappyAmos
11-25-2014, 13:23
I find the jokes on this issue very disrespectful to those that need to use one of these services and the mod team.

For vendors it's a signature and a link to their store and never ment to be anything else.

Perfect!

However, strict adherence to this would suggest things like Shug's signature links to his YouTube video would have to go. I don't want to see that happen.

GreatBigDave
11-25-2014, 13:42
I'll throw in my 2 cents. I find multi-line, enhanced typeface signatures somewhat annoying. I've plenty of screen space so it's not a problem for me but I can see how it could dramatically impact the usability of the site for the visually impared.

The member profile information to the left of each post also greatly adds to the sites whitespace. Signature space is always below the profile info. Perhaps members who feel the need to express themselves in the signature should be encouraged to limit thier profile information.

Gresh
11-25-2014, 13:57

Every joke ever is disrespectful to somebody in some fashion, I'm sure - certainly no offense was meant by anything anybody said.

That said, why are the two mutually exclusive? I'm not a vendor but I use my signature to promote the club that I'm a member of...it's an advertising banner for me.

There's a hard and fast rule regarding signatures and it's enforced by the actual signature page where you create it. If there are certain behaviors or excessive lengths you'd like to enforce then by all means, do so - we don't run the forums, you do. If disabling signatures for those that find them distracting or problematic isn't a viable option then maybe signatures should be done away with altogether?

Rolloff
11-25-2014, 14:34
Seems fair to me then :D

DanglingModifier
11-25-2014, 14:37

Problem solved.

Easy enough for most of us but I'm more concerned about those with visual impairments. See the video below.

The video on screen readers was pretty interesting. I learned things.

Are you suggesting that someone who is visually impaired might not be able to navigate to their profile settings to turn off signatures? If that's the case, do mods have an ability to set user profile flags on someone's behalf? If not, I'm sure friends/family could assist with it in a pinch.

To those suggesting turning off sigs globally, or drastically limiting how they can be used:

Making sweeping changes to signature policy to address rare corner cases of annoyance or handicap tosses the baby out with the bathwater when there is a pretty simple alternative (shut them off for yourself) available. John Stuart Mill would turn over in his grave at the idea of shutting them off completely. Given the number of forum goers who use them, many people believe they provide value.

Removing sigs isn't akin to adding a 50' handicap ramp to circumvent the stairs to your business, it's actually like installing the ramp and then removing the stairs, forcing everyone to use the ramp.

mudsocks
11-25-2014, 14:43
Everyone pause just for a few moments and take a deep breath. Relax.

sargevining
11-25-2014, 14:43
OK;

I've watched the video a couple of times and still can't figure out what I need to change and why. Font size doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, and the program requires the reader to turn on a function that will read links for him, so I assume he can shut them off as well.

How many users are we talking about here?

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2014, 14:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvWCnFjAGgo

If a visually impaired person is using an E-Reader, they have a lot more problems than big signatures. Seems to me this is more of a web design issue to accommodate those with visual impairments, rather than a responsibility of individual users. If it's important to the mods, then they should implement policy/design to accommodate visually impaired users. Maybe we should make a rule that trip reports should be written, with no pics or YouTube videos?

We don't even know how many users we're talking about because the definition of visually impaired is ill-defined, and the method of measuring visually impaired people is suspect. Nevertheless, the National Federation of the Blind reports that there were 6.7 million people reported to have a visual disability in 2012. So that's around 2 percent of the US population.

https://nfb.org/blindness-statistics

I have an incurable eye disease that has left me legally blind in my right eye and 70% vision in the other so I can empathize with those more visually impaired than me. I may one day be using an e-reader, and might be approaching the mods about altering their site design to better accommodate me. But I won't be asking individual users to make their sigs smaller - that's not an effective way to approach the issue.

mudsocks
11-25-2014, 15:01
OK;

I've watched the video a couple of times and still can't figure out what I need to change and why. Font size doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, and the program requires the reader to turn on a function that will read links for him, so I assume he can shut them off as well.

How many users are we talking about here?

I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. Part of the issue is acceptability the other half is the excessive nature of some signatures and fielding the complaints that come along with it.

Part 1) Large text can be interpreted as a title or headline. Each line of text is read out loud by the screen reader. That's a lot to listen to each time. For the member in question signatures have been disabled so for them problem solved.

Part 2) I've fielded complaints about some people's signatures containing more content then their posts and they have a point in some cases.

I'm a bit discouraged at some of the responses I've received. I politely asked people to evaluate their own signatures, use their own judgement and make some changes. We could just disable signatures altogether but I feel that's heavy handed and unnecessary. I'm just asking for a little compromise.

I'm trying to accommodate as many people as I can.

DanglingModifier
11-25-2014, 15:01
Everyone pause just for a few moments and take a deep breath. Relax.

It doesn't seem like anyone has their panties in a bunch on this one. I'm genuinely curious how the video content relates to or contradicts the ability for someone to shut off sigs (or alternatively for an admin to do it for them). Zero snark intended.

As someone who doesn't use a sig and rarely pays much attention to them, I don't have any ponies in this race.

Edit: You just answered my question. Thanks!

mudsocks
11-25-2014, 15:08
It doesn't seem like anyone has their panties in a bunch on this one.

Most of the responses have been positive. I received one PM that was rather nasty so maybe I'm over-reacting a little. If so I apologize.

brambor
11-25-2014, 15:17
seems to me the issue was resolved long time ago: turn signatures off

Turn signatures off is the best solution. Why? Well let's assume in the best case scenario when EVERYONE today agreed and removed their signatures. Anyone joining the forum tomorrow would either never or not immediately know about this thread and so the issue will start creeping in again.

Solution is: Turn off signatures in your profile if some signatures cause you issues.

JoshuaTrees
11-25-2014, 15:47
I too find excessively long signatures annoying, but what is great is we have the option to view them or not, no rule necessary.
On a side note I think that by default the tapatalk app does not display signatures. So I am guessing if there is a large portion of the community that only uses their phone to view the forum, that they never see the signatures anyway.... Or vendor ads

AdventureMyk
11-25-2014, 16:00
A bit new but a simple observation: If your signature is considerably longer than your typical post you might want to rethink it...

SirMarkos
11-25-2014, 16:09
I personally love people's signatures. I find them a handy and convenient way to hop on over to their ramblings in a blog, their antics posted at YouTube or easily locating products I'm interested in buying.

Sometimes I find that a member will post something really smart or informative, I look down, see they have a YouTube channel, and discover they have a treasure trove of info I'm interested in.

Mods, you can't please everyone. And don't try. Signatures have been a non-issue. You've gotten maybe a handful of pissers/moaners. It's your forum, pick a policy, and stick to your guns.

As a side note - signature has been modified to reflect my respect for private property :shades:

Dead Man
11-25-2014, 16:11
As a person with a documented disability (I have profound/complete deafness in my right ear), I am as sensitive to the needs of the disabled as anyone. I personally have found ways to compensate, and in some respects, work around my disability. In truth, my greatest fear is losing the hearing in my good ear and being completely deaf.

That being said, I am willing to help but this is an open forum. There are levels of expression that are already censored (guns, religion, blatantly offensive speech, flaming) to name a few. Removing the signatures for everyone, while it would solve the issue for a small group, would not be an appropriate response to the issue. It is akin to swatting the fly with a hammer.

If those who are at issue with the signatures are not able to access the sections to shut them off, then I would hope that the moderators or someone else would have the ability to assist them in that regard by adjusting settings for them. If that is not an option, shucking signatures for everyone else is not really gonna help.

In truth, I am not married to my signature. I did one because I saw it was another form of expression among forum participants and I liked many that I saw. There are some I don't like but they likely don't have much affinity for mine. Each to his own and live and let sign. PYOP (Post Your Own Posts)

OutandBack
11-25-2014, 17:28
snip...

Mods, you can't please everyone. And don't try. Signatures have been a non-issue. You've gotten maybe a handful of pissers/moaners.
Hi SirMarko, You don't know that.
I definitely think some have taken the sig line way over the top with 7 lines in a huge font and that has cause
the mod team to look at the situation.

It's your forum, pick a policy, and stick to your guns.
I think that is what we are trying to do as gently as possible. But like you said
we have just as many whiners wanting the big sigs.

So the announcement was us picking a side.

SirMarkos
11-25-2014, 18:11
Fair enough.

heywoodja
11-25-2014, 18:42
Ok removed signature. I hope this helps someone

Shug
11-25-2014, 18:54
I whittled mine down.
Shug

Dutch
11-25-2014, 18:59
I had a link to last year's Mt Rogers Winter Hang sign up sheet. Don't think I need that anymore. I feel lighter.

sargevining
11-25-2014, 19:09
Hi SirMarko, You don't know that.
I definitely think some have taken the sig line way over the top with 7 lines in a huge font and that has cause
the mod team to look at the situation.

I think that is what we are trying to do as gently as possible. But like you said
we have just as many whiners wanting the big sigs.

So the announcement was us picking a side.

Whiners?

Not exactly the way I'd try to defuse a situation.

sargevining
11-25-2014, 19:17
FWIW,

I'd venture to guess that a certain percentage of those complaining about sigs are doing so based on content, not size or number. I haven't done any research, but there are more than a few people here who use Bible verses in their sigs, and I know there are people who would like to see that kind of thing go away. There are others who are unhappy with the content of blogs that may be linked to, and they don't want other people to go to them.

I do hope the mods are able to discern who is making a legitimate complaint based on need, and those of folks who's only real wish is to shut somebody up with whom they disagree.

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2014, 19:34
We've received an increasing number of complaints about the growing number of signatures that are long and use excessive size. As explained to me the former is a major issue for the visually impaired using screen readers. Others feel excessive signatures clutter the forum and hinder readability.

-Jeremy

FWIW,

I'd venture to guess that a certain percentage of those complaining about sigs are doing so based on content, not size or number. I haven't done any research, but there are more than a few people here who use Bible verses in their sigs, and I know there are people who would like to see that kind of thing go away. There are others who are unhappy with the content of blogs that may be linked to, and they don't want other people to go to them.

I do hope the mods are able to discern who is making a legitimate complaint based on need, and those of folks who's only real wish is to shut somebody up with whom they disagree.

The topic at hand is long and excessively sized signatures in relation to visually impaired people, not the content of the signatures. While I personally feel that the same HF TOS rules that apply to political, religious, firearm-related and military appreciation posts should also be applied to signatures, I don't feel so strongly about it that I contact the mods and ask them to do something about it. The mods know what causes problems and apparently, the content of signatures doesn't generate enough controversy for them to crack down on it.

GoatHanger
11-25-2014, 19:43
I'm glad I use tapatalk.

DanglingModifier
11-25-2014, 19:47
FWIW,

^^^ This.

If religious proclamations or political opinions (for instance) are off-limits in posts due to being inflammatory, why should they be tolerated in a sig? I can see how people might have a legitimate beef about that, as it doesn't match the spirit of the TOS. Less do I understand a beef about a link in a sig that gets you to those opinions. It's the Internet after all, and you're never more than a click or two away from the armpit or anus.

Personally, I like seeing a sig that gives me insight into the passions, prejudices, and humor of the people on a forum. At a minimum it's a free tell about you, and many people have good things to share.

silentorpheus
11-25-2014, 20:35
I'm having a hard time seeing why this is turning into a problem and being received so negatively. No one is suggesting any sort of censorship, or suggesting that signatures be eliminated or done away with - no one with any position of authority, that is.

The OP, a mod, on behalf of the mod team, simply asked that those with signatures that are overly long or make use of excessively large fonts consider taking a slightly more minimal approach. Not get rid of them, not change the content, just dial it back a little.

-Jeremy

There was no edict or command, just a friendly request. They even went as far as to ask nicely and respectfully, and offer a few reasons why the request might have been made - though to be honest, the reasoning behind the request is largely immaterial.

I find the overwhelming response tone of "why do I have to change what I'm doing?" and "If they don't like it, they can just turn them off" to be curiously and surprisingly selfish and self centered. It's akin to someone coming over to your campfire after hours when you're being a little on the loud side, and politely asking if you wouldn't mind keeping it down slightly - and responding "If we're too loud for you, why don't you just wear ear plugs" ...

AScott
11-25-2014, 22:08
I'm having a hard time seeing why this is turning into a problem and being received so negatively. No one is suggesting any sort of censorship, or suggesting that signatures be eliminated or done away with - no one with any position of authority, that is.

The OP, a mod, on behalf of the mod team, simply asked that those with signatures that are overly long or make use of excessively large fonts consider taking a slightly more minimal approach. Not get rid of them, not change the content, just dial it back a little.

There was no edict or command, just a friendly request. They even went as far as to ask nicely and respectfully, and offer a few reasons why the request might have been made - though to be honest, the reasoning behind the request is largely immaterial.

I find the overwhelming response tone of "why do I have to change what I'm doing?" and "If they don't like it, they can just turn them off" to be curiously and surprisingly selfish and self centered. It's akin to someone coming over to your campfire after hours when you're being a little on the loud side, and politely asking if you wouldn't mind keeping it down slightly - and responding "If we're too loud for you, why don't you just wear ear plugs" ...

You put it far more eloquently than I was going to put it. Thanks for posting that.

sargevining
11-25-2014, 23:21
Here's the thing.

This was presented as being a service to the vision impaired. I have reduced the font size of my sig as the technical explanation for that seemed logical.

However, the moderators describe a volume of complaints about signatures that, if true, goes way beyond the number of complaints one could reasonably expect from members of the vision impaired community seeking to go camping in the woods using hammocks.

I am therefore left to deduce that, if the volume of complaints is as described, the persons making the complaints are not overly burdened with a concern for the vision impaired and are more interested in their own personal wants, wishes, agenda, or desires (making them rather selfish---at least as selfish as those who want to keep their sigs) and don't mind causing the moderators a lot of trouble to get their way.

I suggest that if a complaint about signatures is lodged, that the moderators politely inquire as to the legitimacy of the complaint vis a vis the use of screen readers and render any technical assistance required. I note that the You Tube video shows a GUI that allows the user to modify his on screen experience to suit his needs and, since the video was posted in 2009, I can assume that the technology involved has improved somewhat in the intervening 6 years. If that avenue is not completely successful, we also have the ability to turn signatures off for these users.

If, however, someone is just complaining about the size or color or number of links and thinks the world should cater to their personal artistic sensibilities, then the moderators should politely inform them that at HF we respect each other and if those signatures offend them due solely to their appearance, they should shut them off.

Now, if the response to that suggestion is something along the lines of "Well, I want to see SOME signatures, but not THOSE signatures" we can assume that perhaps their problem might possibly be with off site content and not the feng shui of the site (and is certainly a selfish desire regardless of the motivation), and I would suggest that HF and its moderators stay right away from becoming the internet content police force acting unwittingly on someone else's behalf to promote one agenda or squelch another.

Jtupnsmoke
11-25-2014, 23:37
I don't get this much entertainment with my $150/month cable subscription. This community can truly turn a molehill into a mountain. This isn't a big deal, just tone the giant signatures down a bit.

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2014, 23:39
You have a very active imagination, sargevining. You see conspiracies when us mere mortals see no evidence that they exist. If you stick to the facts as presented in this thread by the mods, it will ease your racing mind.

BillyBob58
11-25-2014, 23:46
A bit new but a simple observation: If your signature is considerably longer than your typical post you might want to rethink it...

Well I really have no idea if my sig is either:
1: too long
2: too big(i.e. font size)

or both. So I'm not sure if I need to decrease one of the above or both or neither. However, by your standards, I am home free! I know I am a long winded rascal, and I apologize for that, but on the bright side there is no way my sig- which is unchanged for maybe 7+ years- can compete with the length of my typical post! ;)

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2014, 23:50
I know I am a long winded rascal, and I apologize for that, but on the bright side there is no way my sig- which is unchanged for maybe 7+ years_ can compete with the length of my typical post! ;)

From one long-winded rascal to another, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about your sig being longer than one of your posts!:lol:

silentorpheus
11-25-2014, 23:58
Withdrawn.

sargevining
11-26-2014, 00:39
Well,

The posts in the similar threads section here are kind of interesting and give some insight as to the history of this situation.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2014, 01:08
Well,

The posts in the similar threads section here are kind of interesting and give some insight as to the history of this situation.

That's hilarious!:lol: I actually went back and read those threads.

Rolloff
11-26-2014, 01:40
I'm closing this thread, as I feel it has run it's course.

Wait! I can't do that here. I'll at least use some gorilla tape and wrap it up a bit.

Move along. Nothing to see here. Go home.

We'll by to run you all in later :laugh:

Dead Man
11-26-2014, 10:29
Okay, so I went in and made my signature smaller overall and edited a small portion of it. Still an identifier of my blog spot, such as it is, and a bit of my personal belief in the excerpt of a favorite poem.

If this helps the cause, good on it. Beyond that, empathetic as I can be. Not sure what else there is I can do, but willing to explore the possibilities.

As an aside, If I have the ability to cull some of the bio information under my avatar, I would love to do that but don't know how. If that is an option, will someone educate me? :shades:

sargevining
11-26-2014, 11:43
Dang, Daddy.

Your font is so small I think I'm going to become visually impaired trying to read it.

Dead Man
11-26-2014, 12:01
Why can't you read it at night? :laugh:

Nothing worthwhile is easy. :laugh:

:shades:

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2014, 12:21
Okay, so I went in and made my signature smaller overall and edited a small portion of it. Still an identifier of my blog spot, such as it is, and a bit of my personal belief in the excerpt of a favorite poem.

If this helps the cause, good on it. Beyond that, empathetic as I can be. Not sure what else there is I can do, but willing to explore the possibilities.

As an aside, If I have the ability to cull some of the bio information under my avatar, I would love to do that but don't know how. If that is an option, will someone educate me? :shades:

If you unpopulate the info in usercp, it would most likely disappear.

Dead Man
11-26-2014, 14:34
Tried that.....no joy.

bigfoot2
11-26-2014, 14:38
This is just ridiculous.

OutandBack
11-26-2014, 15:35
I'm closing this thread, as I feel it has run it's course.

Wait! I can't do that here. I'll at least use some gorilla tape and wrap it up a bit.

Move along. Nothing to see here. Go home.

We'll by to run you all in later :laugh:

We've left the thread open because not everyone checks the forum daily and they might want to leave a comment.
If we continue to to get off topic posts we might have to change that.

The Tree Frog
11-26-2014, 16:34
Dang, Daddy.

Your font is so small I think I'm going to become visually impaired trying to read it.

Funny but I agree. DaddyDaddy's font is now actually too small to read on my iPad unless I expand the screen. I am willing to do that if I want to read it. By the way, if I understand it correctly, if you reduce the entire signature font, you didn't fix anything. The software still reads it. It is not the size of the signature's font but the fact that some words or lines have larger font.

To be honest, I like to read people's signatures. But if a signature is too long, I skip it. I think I understand the visually impaired situation as stated that a larger font reads differently because the software thinks it's a title. And I can see how unlike my ability to skip a signature, the software reads every line. Ok I get that too. But I agree if the the ability to turn off signatures works, then that is the better solution for the masses.

Having said that, I am willing to reduce my signature as many of us change signatures occasionally anyway. Have a nice day!

sargevining
11-26-2014, 22:52
I am convinced, human nature being what it is, that, with the passage of time, the moderators will be inundated with complaints by people who can't read the now minuscule signatures and begging them, for the love of mercy and all that is holy, to urge people to make their signatures bigger because such small signatures are virtually certain to contribute to the macular degeneration of senior citizens trying to use this forum.

Dux
11-28-2014, 08:18
Thanks for the rollicking good read y'all!!

lazy river road
11-28-2014, 11:32
Hey does anyone around here know what angle I should hang my hammock in order to get the flatest lay? I heard I could find some good info on this site about hammock camping......point being, mods made simple request instead of just coming out heavy handed. Just my opinion but I say we thank them for the hard work they do, use some common sense so they don't have to make a new rule that's black and white and get back to talking hammock.

brambor
11-30-2014, 07:00
We have all been warned about this since puberty and now it is happening ... I'm just not sure I want go hanging with you in the dark woods 😓

nothermark
11-30-2014, 08:19
FWIW I have worked with both hearing impaired and visually impaired people for the last 20 years. Most figure out the work arounds like turning off signatures. Most are open to doing it if someone suggests it. A few get militant about wanting the same rules as everyone else and I have told a few to stuff it. The signature issue seems like one of those battles. Not having a way to turn off signatures would be a discrimination issue. Providing that option and helping people who need help doing it enables the less abled to enjoy the content of the site while not getting mired in less relevant parts of the post. I do not see a problem as far as the viewers go. I do see a lot of ownership for sig lines. That seems to indicate the problem has a fix so let it go.

Curmudgeon
11-30-2014, 08:44
I generally like to see signatures, but I too am annoyed by the most giant ones. This very same discussion happened years ago on another forum to which I belong.

Their solution:
Limit font size to the default.
Non-donating members were limited to 99 characters across 2 lines, no links, colors, or html flags.
Donating members got an extra line or two and were able to insert links and use html flags.

This was all hard-coded into the software, so you couldn't save your signature if you broke the rules. Given that this forum already performs monetary lockouts (donating members forum) I think this is a perfectly acceptable solution.

ADKGuy
11-30-2014, 12:15
I haven't been here very long but I have yet to see a large signature that bothers me. In fact these new smaller ones are hard for me to see (and I don't have a major visual impairment). Seeing how sigs can be shut off that should fix issues for the visually impaired.

Can't please everybody.

gnar
11-30-2014, 21:51

-Jeremy

reading through all these replies is kinda strange how so many get mad??? your asking people respectfully to scale it down, not to hard right? on another note I feel the mods need to settle the ruling going on, how far will stuff like this go? if myself and 10 others don't like something here will you change/delete/ban it because 2% of us don't like it? if that keeps happening in a few years there will be nothing left here....... im not trying to be mean, I have family members with disabilities. just all a little strange to me, no disrespect to you Jeremy as I feel your a good person, just think about it................

sargevining
12-01-2014, 00:02
reading through all these replies is kinda strange how so many get mad??? your asking people respectfully to scale it down, not to hard right? on another note I feel the mods need to settle the ruling going on, how far will stuff like this go? if myself and 10 others don't like something here will you change/delete/ban it because 2% of us don't like it? if that keeps happening in a few years there will be nothing left here....... im not trying to be mean, I have family members with disabilities. just all a little strange to me, no disrespect to you Jeremy as I feel your a good person, just think about it................

^^^This.

At any given time, there's about 200-500 members signed on to HF, and there's what, 7000 members? How many are complaining about signatures?. Most of us go for years without making any complaint to the moderators at all. Then there are some I would be willing to wager that the moderators hear from all the time. They may be a very vocal minority, but they are a minority.

This site is set up so that the individual user can take care of these complaints without bothering the moderators:

1. They can shut off all signatures.

2. If a particular signature bothers them, whether due to content, size, color, or what have you, they can put that member on "ignore" and never have to see that one again.

This is the advice the moderators should give to members who complain about other members unless there is an actual TOS violation. There's no real reason for everybody to change their signature because a few people don't like the way they look, and that does seem to be the main complaint here.

If the moderators keep mollifying a vocal few, those with visual handicaps notwithstanding, then they will just keep on finding other things or people to complain about.

Rolloff
12-01-2014, 02:17
If you stop posting......it will go away.

Problem solved :sneaky:

hikehunter
12-01-2014, 03:05
The needs of the few may out weigh the needs of the many in some cases??????????

I will change to help others in many cases...........however, I think that if you bring politics into this form I will demand my money back....

hikehunter
12-01-2014, 03:18
so my signature gets removed without any say from me....????

?????:confused::scared::scared::scared::scared:

OutandBack
12-01-2014, 12:26
so my signature gets removed without any say from me....????

?????:confused::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Please explain, in a PM if need be.
There are no notes in the mod forums on this.
The only way a sig would be removed immediately by a moderator is if it was extremely offensive or against the rules of the forum.
Even then, an after the fact note would have been made in the mod section and you would have recieved a PM.

O&B
HFMod

Ewker
12-01-2014, 13:55
can't believe this is still going on

Dead Man
12-01-2014, 15:45
can't believe this is still going on

Agreed. May we request the matter be closed now? It has all pretty much been said so nuff said.

Ewker
12-01-2014, 16:49
^^^^what he said :D

Dos
12-02-2014, 07:39
Now that I have officially read everyone's signature on this thread.....

1) I generally ignore the longer signatures because they are rather boring and tedious, and I value my time, so I choose to do something else with that time
lost to long a$$ signatures.
2) Do the complaints have an agenda or have a genuine impairment? ( the vid was very informational, thank you)
3) if this topic keeps coming up, just make a short set of rules. There are bigger fish to fry.
4) if I ever become visually impaired, I will most certainly ask SilvrSfr for some suggestions.
5) octo was kindly asking people to scale back. What's the big deal?

Some threads just honestly baffle me.