PDA

View Full Version : Grand Trunk knot

Syrrka
11-26-2014, 18:31
Disclaimer: I am not familiar with GT at all.

My son has a GT (I think it is a UL...it is fairly small and blue) (he doesn't know, he just picked it up a couple of years ago) and hasn't changed out the suspension. He uses it fairly regular as he is in the Navy on a Destroyer and uses it over his "rack" when he can. He brought it home with him and one of the knots on the end is coming untied. I tried to tie it back, but it is a fat piece of rope and unwieldly as heck. Does anyone know what knot it is and is it worth trying to re-tie it?

I know how to splice and want to make a couple of 10 inch continuous loops for him. I want to do a Knotty mod on the ends and think it will work. I figured someone had done this, so thought I ask if it is a good idea...or am I just being an over-zealous mom? :) Because he uses it in confined spaces, rather than trees, I thought the loops would work better than Whoopies.

Any advice is appreciated.

ccolclou
11-26-2014, 19:16
I started with a Grand Trunk. You're thinking correctly, IMHO - make the loops! They're smaller, lighter, stronger, easier to pack...

ccolclou
11-26-2014, 19:18
Sorry, I should have mentioned previously that I took out the rope and replaced it with amsteel loops, so I don't know the knot either!

JasonACraft
11-26-2014, 21:13
Sorry, I should have mentioned previously that I took out the rope and replaced it with amsteel loops, so I don't know the knot either!

ditto!

Squid In The Woods
11-26-2014, 21:47
Literally just did this to my GT Ultra Light yesterday. I used pliers to untie to the knot but looking back I should have just cut the rope.

On one side I rubber-banded the continuous loop to the old rope and just pulled through. The other side slipped through so I used a skinny dowel from a kite. I just just rubber banded the continuous loop to the end of the dowel and fed the channel over the loop until it was at the other end.

JCinPA
01-26-2015, 19:30
The original hammock just has a simple overhand knot in that loop. Nothing fancy. The rope is some kind of solid core and not very easy to deal with, I think you are on the right track replacing it.