PDA

View Full Version : Adding Binding Tape to a Seam

theclark5
11-27-2014, 15:05
I want to create a finished look to a seam on my DIY hammock that I am adding some side panels using bias/grosgrain tape. My question is:
1. How do you first connect the two fabrics? Simple straight stitch or french seam?
2. Once you create the seam how to I add the bias tape or grosgrain?
3. Can you use a tape stitch presser foot for a 1 step method? Is that one straight stitch enough or should you create a double row?

Thanks!

Ramblinrev
11-27-2014, 15:13
If you are adding panels to increase the width a regular seam is not going to be strong enough for me to trust it. I would a Flat Felled seam or its cousin, the felled french seam. Much stronger seams and they are self finished.

boulderv7
11-27-2014, 22:36
What rev said. Flat felled seam would be my choice. Bias tape looks nice, but wouldn't add strength like a flat felled would. If it is just aesthetics you're looking for, you can use a binding foot, or YouTube how to add bias tape to a quilt. The method would be the same. Easier to see than to explain.

MacEntyre
11-27-2014, 23:02
If I used a flat felled seam or a felled french seam, I would not add grosgrain on top of that.

theclark5
11-28-2014, 01:23
Thanks so much for the input. Will go with flat felled seam. The reason I ask is because my WBBB has this type of binding and it appears to hold. Is it because the binding is on a non weight area like the footbox?