PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar String USES

jefflarmain
11-28-2014, 13:57
Hello all

I just came across a large quantity 200' of woven kevlar string and looking for uses with my sack (hammock) any ideas? thought about a new tarp ridge or inserting it in to the tarp webing for reinforcment.. Thoughts?

thanks for any ideas

J

nothermark
11-28-2014, 18:46
It may be fine for guy lines and general purpose use but I would not hang from it. Part of what it is good for will depend on how it is made. Twist, solid braid and hollow braid all lend themselves to different uses but with a fair amount of overlap. Size matters. ;-)

jefflarmain
11-30-2014, 19:04
after doing some research on hammocks from here and on utube I will probably just use it for a ridge line or drip line but your right definatly dont hang off it I got 1 inch climbing webing for that:)
thanks

TwoShoes
11-30-2014, 19:26
after doing some research on hammocks from here and on utube I will probably just use it for a ridge line or drip line but your right definatly dont hang off it I got 1 inch climbing webing for that:)
thanks
I have never used climbing webbing but most climbing ropes/webbing are made of nylon. Nylon will work but has a habit of stretching. I used nylon one night and woke up sitting in my hammock on the ground.

GT
11-30-2014, 19:53
Yeah, you actually need to watch out for some of that stuff. I bought a roll of #138 Kevlar thread years ago thinking that it would make some super strong straps, but to my surprise straps stitched with Kevlar actually failed miserably.
I didn't understand until I figured out that the Kevlar thread under tension was actually cutting though the polyester webbing.
And Kevlar doesn't stand up to the elements as well as other outdoor threads.

genixia
11-30-2014, 20:58
Unless you know what its strength is, keep it to non-structural ridglines, guylines and to wrap a cooking pot with as a handhold.

brianb
12-01-2014, 16:27
+1 on insulation for your cooking pot or drinking mug.

bowl-maker
12-01-2014, 16:49
Garrote? Floss? Bear trip-line? Hiking g-string?