PDA

View Full Version : Stuff sack with added pocket

Jay77gunn
11-29-2014, 20:41
So I've been staying in the background of HF for a while now, but decided it was time to start showing some stuff off and getting comments to tweak my projects. I currently have made a 1.6oz HyperD 10' x ~58" hammock with an adjustable ridgeline, 6' polyester tree straps, and a 1.1oz silnylon stuff sack. I wanted to keep the tree straps separate from the hammock based on all the posts here, but didn't want a separate bag. So, here's my prototype bag. Always room for improvements after the lessons learned from the process and will probably try it again to tweak a few things and reinforce some areas. I added a pic to show where I attached the sack to the hammock as I am not a fan of it being right in the middle of the hammock. I had a tendency to use a peak bag before and just repositioned where I put the sack to make it one in the same. I look forward to any comments. Oh, can't forget to throw a shout out to Ripstopbytheroll for the great service. I currently live in Okinawa, Japan and had all the fabric in less than 2 weeks from time of ordering.

corrupt_reverend
11-29-2014, 23:57
That is awesome. I'm actually planning a very similar thing except I plan on one more additional little pocket to hole a couple toggles.

Have you thought about sewing a button hole for where the cordage comes out for tightening? I really want to try that on mine but I have consistently been unable to figure out that function on my machine.

Jay77gunn
11-30-2014, 02:18
Actually, I think in the next version, I will just sew some shock cord into the rolled hem of the pocket. I think it should be more than enough to hold the straps in, but I'm not sure about smaller items like toggles. I'm not a huge fan of cord locks as I can achieve the same purpose for the bag opening with a slippery hitch and less added weight.

brianb
12-01-2014, 16:58
Nice design. I just made a hammock for my brother and gave it to him on Thanksgiving day. I put an opening on both ends of the stuff sack and was thinking that a separate pocket for the suspension would be useful. I like your design and may run with it a bit.

I don't use cord locks either. Good thought about something to secure the toggle. Maybe hand sewing on a rubber O-ring at the 3 and 9 position would hold it in place. Not sure if it's necessary, but interesting to think it through.

Good luck. Brian

Boston
12-02-2014, 13:03
Interesting idea, but what happens if the strap's are wet?

I've made a roll-up from some scrap ripstop and no-seeum that holds me suspension (straps + whoopies) and my stakes all together. Makes it easy to be sure nothing is left behind. And this way all the wet/dirt stuff can be easily stowed in an outer pocket of my pack.

corrupt_reverend
12-02-2014, 22:28

I've made a roll-up from some scrap ripstop and no-seeum that holds me suspension (straps + whoopies) and my stakes all together. Makes it easy to be sure nothing is left behind. And this way all the wet/dirt stuff can be easily stowed in an outer pocket of my pack.

Wow, I'm really digging this idea. I don't suppose you have any pictures of it? :)

Jay77gunn
12-03-2014, 06:32

I haven't really worried about it yet. It rains a lot here, but since the island is only 60 miles long and about 12 across, I normally just let everything dry out once I get home. This could be done with the added pocket made of noseeum or an elastic mesh as well.

Boston
12-03-2014, 07:11
Wow, I'm really digging this idea. I don't suppose you have any pictures of it? :)

Here you go:

I haven't really worried about it yet. It rains a lot here, but since the island is only 60 miles long and about 12 across, I normally just let everything dry out once I get home. This could be done with the added pocket made of noseeum or an elastic mesh as well.

Not worried about wet hammock/down for the next night? I see you're in Okinawa, so maybe not...

Btw, off topic, but you know of any good hiking area's in Japan for hammock camping? I've heard it can be pretty sparse. I'll be over there quite a bit for work next year, and would love to get out and not have to sleep on the ground. I'll be stationed in Toyota/Nagoya area, but willing to travel on the weekends.

sandmaker
12-03-2014, 22:14
Here's my most recent take on the stuff sack with exterior pocket/pockets.

I use cinch buckles on several of my rigs and since I can't easily detach and reattach them from my hammock, I wanted to figure out a way to keep wet straps off my hammock without just dangling the straps out of the bag. With this double ended stuff sack design, each side has a pocket that the straps can be stuffed into. In the future I'd like to try and incorporate some shock cord into the hem so that I can make the pocket a bit looser. That would make stuffing the straps easier but keep them from spilling out of the pockets.

Jay77gunn
12-03-2014, 23:07
Not worried about wet hammock/down for the next night? I see you're in Okinawa, so maybe not...

Btw, off topic, but you know of any good hiking area's in Japan for hammock camping? I've heard it can be pretty sparse. I'll be over there quite a bit for work next year, and would love to get out and not have to sleep on the ground. I'll be stationed in Toyota/Nagoya area, but willing to travel on the weekends.

I'm not too worried about wet tree straps. The hammock stays dry under the tarp or in the silnylon stuff sack. The only thing on the outside is the suspension which is one reason I wanted the separate pocket.

I haven't been able to find much here on Okinawa for longer hikes, only short day hikes. There are a few campgrounds, but I'm not a real fan. The great thing about here is I can just find a quiet beach and set up just in the tree line. Spectacular views from the hammock. I know that hiking(and being active in general) is big in Japanese culture, but I believe it to be more day hikes.