PDA

View Full Version : 4-7 day hike ideas?

Rockyshea
11-30-2014, 18:10
I am looking for a hike that would take 4-7 days at a moderate or below (trying to help my friends get more into backpacking)rating in pretty much any of the western states in the late spring/summer months. I've been having a rough time turning up anything promising.

Boothill
11-30-2014, 21:07
Centenial Trail (https://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/docs/centennial-trail-brochure.pdf) here in the black hills might fit the bill, salt lake is about an 8-9 hour drive away, spring would probably be a better time to ensure water on the nothern end of the trail

boot

Twister
12-01-2014, 23:16
Lots of options in the Uintahs.

Twister
12-01-2014, 23:24
Oops hit send on accident.

Head over to REI, Kirkhams, or University of Utah's Outdoor Recreation gear rental shop. Any of these places will have folks that can give you ideas that could fit.

Good luck

lori
12-02-2014, 09:44
Two books for you - Sierra North and Sierra South. Also the forum High Sierra Topix - trip reports all over California. There are countless hikes of that length in California alone.

Montexan
12-02-2014, 22:23
Hopefully they aren't new backpackers, only new to longer periods of backpacking. 4+ days to new people is a little rough, especially if their gear is heavier hand-me-down/thrift/Wal-Mart--my gear in college was. But if in Summer, anywhere with water/swimming destinations are nice. Secluded swimming with great views is always a sure way to hook people into backcountry.

I really liked the Bear River Range (Idaho side). The rest of my Utah experience is all South: Zion/Bryce/Canyon Lands/Capiol Reef -- all magical places but our NPS overlords control those.

Rockyshea
12-03-2014, 20:37
Thanks for all the input guys, I love these forums. To clarify they aren't new to hiking, but have only done weekend stuff.

SLCpod
12-04-2014, 01:45
I have done some hikes in California, Utah and Wyoming. Best so far has been my wind river trips. I have various multi day trip plans if you need any ideas.

signguy
12-15-2014, 16:34
I second the Wind River but be aware you are in Brown Bear country and they will be hungry come Springtime! :) Just a thought but something down near Marysvale or Fish Lake area would be great in the Spring and very close to you-
Maybe start over off the 15 and hike through to Marysvale which would award you with some great snow shoeing as well.

joefbtg28
12-19-2014, 11:14
The area I keep coming back to in in the front range (near Denver) is the Lost Creek Wilderness. There would be many different options for loops. Late summer is a great time for this area.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psicc/recarea/?recid=37208

OutCold
12-26-2014, 20:48
Cottonwood lakes out of lone pine ca. 6 moderate miles to the lakes and from their you can spend as much time as you want. Day hike to mt langley, over into sequoia national park, and other backcountry lakes. The scenery is beautiful!

Rockyshea
12-27-2014, 20:41
Thanks for the input. Looks like they chickened out on me and decided on a base camp near big sur, and do some of the hikes in that area. Sort of a topic change, but does anyone know where there would be a good place to hang , the nearer to the coast, the better?