PDA

View Full Version : A ? for the draft collar guru's

V_Allen
12-02-2014, 08:33
Morning all! I have just finished a full length - 46x72 -down UQ and will be adding draft collars to the ends, but has anyone thought/tried to add tubes down the long sides of the UQ for better side sealing? I've done a Google and forum search and came up with nada.

I would appreciate any thoughts/advice or pros/cons on this.

Thank-you!

Vince

Boston
12-02-2014, 10:05
I think it's been done, but I think it's not really needed. The sides of the quilt should snug up nicely to the hammock body on their own. The end's, due to the hammock fabric rippling due to the gather, will have gaps even if the quilt is snug - hence the need for draft collar's to fill those gaps.

If the sides of the quilt are gaping, chances are the quilt isn't hung correctly, and it's gaping under you too.

V_Allen
12-02-2014, 14:08
Thanks for the answer Boston. I put in the draft tubes and that solved all the leakage problems I had last night. I couldn't cinch down the ends enough due to the longer length of my new uq. It's perfect now.

Just Bill
12-02-2014, 15:40
For next time- if the sides are still bad-
never made one yet- but debated a larger baffle on each end (higher loft) to help with sealing sides a bit.
I don't think you need one either- but don't know UQ's well enough, just thought I'd share the idea FWIW.

gmcttr
12-02-2014, 16:05
...I couldn't cinch down the ends enough due to the longer length of my new uq. ...

Chances are that you needed to loosen the end draw cords rather than cinching them down tighter and tighten the UQ suspension. Over cinching the ends actually causes gaps just inside of the ends instead of letting the QU conform to the hammock and your body.

V_Allen
12-02-2014, 17:13
For next time- if the sides are still bad-
never made one yet- but debated a larger baffle on each end (higher loft) to help with sealing sides a bit.
I don't think you need one either- but don't know UQ's well enough, just thought I'd share the idea FWIW.

Thanks Just Bill - The baffles I made and installed today are quite large, but not stuffed too full either. In the past I was making smaller diameter tubes and over filling them when I should have been making them larger instead and not over stuffing them. These new ones really seal well. I folded over a 12" wide piece of argon scrap and filled with 1 oz of 850 - just right!

Vince.

V_Allen
12-02-2014, 17:27
Chances are that you needed to loosen the end draw cords rather than cinching them down tighter and tighten the UQ suspension. Over cinching the ends actually causes gaps just inside of the ends instead of letting the QU conform to the hammock and your body.

You are very correct, gmcttr. I did try loosening and tightening and made numerous adjustments last night with my cbs. I didn't have anyone to look as I was in the hammock to spot what was wrong, but was bound and determined to find the cause. My other uq's are torso length, so I never had any trouble with set-up or cbs.. The new uq I just made is 76 long and 46 wide and I couldn't for the life of me see the gaps at the ends, but could very much feel them.

I feel the ends of the uq were simply too wide for the narrow ends of the hammock and scrunched up enough to cause small leaks that I couldn't see - my feet are inside the uq now and were pushing in the wrong place. The new draft collars seal everything nice now.

Vince