PDA

View Full Version : carabiners

Chief Hammock Officer
08-24-2009, 16:44
Hey all,

Just wanted to give you a quick update on our parachute nylon hammocks.

We are officially going away from the stainless steel "S" hooks on ALL parachute nylon hammocks: singles, doubles and skeeter beeter pro's. The change is official and will take place as soon as we receive our shipment, which should be within the month.

The retail price will stay the same and you will continue to receive the FREE hammock hanging kit with ALL parachute nylon hammocks.

Why GT parachute nylon hammocks:

1.) Best quality parachute nylon
2.) Lightweight Carabiners included
3.) FREE hammock hanging kit
4.) Better value
5.) THEY ROCK!

Cheers,
CHO

NCPatrick
08-24-2009, 20:22
What does a hammock hanging kit have in it besides the carabiners?

TIA

animalcontrol
08-25-2009, 06:46
Why GT parachute nylon hammocks:

1.) Best quality parachute nylon
2.) Lightweight Carabiners included
3.) FREE hammock hanging kit
4.) Better value
5.) THEY ROCK!

Cheers,
CHO
CHO might be a new NEO!:rolleyes:

CHO ROCKS! :laugh:

Doctari
08-25-2009, 06:56
What does a hammock hanging kit have in it besides the carabiners?

TIA

2 twenty foot long ropes (I think they are 20') so 10' when looped, (I may be off a few feet) & until the change, 2 steel "S hooks".
To adjust length of the ropes, simply tie a knot at the right place. The ropes are very strong, I don't know how strong tho.

YardDog
08-25-2009, 07:09
2 twenty foot long ropes (I think they are 20') so 10' when looped, (I may be off a few feet) & until the change, 2 steel "S hooks".
To adjust length of the ropes, simply tie a knot at the right place. The ropes are very strong, I don't know how strong tho.

In the model that I got (back in April) the ropes were already knotted at regular intervals. That's what kept the rope together after it was looped.

sonic
09-03-2009, 21:58
howdy yall,
I just recently got the grand trunk ultralight. it came with S hooks. its the 20 dollar 10 ounce job. thought I would just get a cheap/light one to add to the collection. I am not new to hammocks, but I am a bit of a rookie when It comes to making my own. (recently became obsessed with this) My main suggestion to all of you hammock swaying folk out there, is this.. before trusting your new hammock (of the ultralight veriety) might be a good idea to double check, and even re-tie all the knots.. give extra room for stretching on your knots. after I went from 3 feet up, then my arse was on the ground in a terminal velocity split second. After a bit of an uncontrolable breathing (knocked out of wind) rolling around on the ground, holding the arse i fell on... and a funny sort of "no dog", (golden retriver pup) "im not playing with you", I grunted through the pain while laughing at the whole situation. I then re-tied all the knots in the hammock, now I feel very safe, knowing that all the knots are my own. and it turns out, I like the GTultralight about as much as I like my HHexp. The open air is nice for summer high desert. when you are 60 miles from city lights, the absense of a bug net is the best.. nothing like laying in a hammock and stargazing at the same time.
so in conclusion, for the GTultralight, re-tie/study the knots, and then you have a super light hammock, perfect for all sorts of situations, summer, day training hikes, and Im even thinking about using it for the pct, and maybe a fresh mail drop or two. seems with care, they would last about the same amount of miles as a pair of shoes, as long as you double check, and re-tie all the lines. ( and have a good sence of humor if you smack the ground like man is not supposed to fly between two trees.) in all, I love the
gt ultralight, and it has taught me a few good tough love lessons in hammocking...
happy swaying in the breeze to all.

rigidpsycho
09-04-2009, 16:04
The hanging kit is two 10' ropes knotted in 8" intervals.

bear bag hanger
09-04-2009, 17:24
I have a problem with the ropes in the kit. Without tree savers of some sort, they'll kill a lot of trees.

Kerflop
09-04-2009, 17:59
I replaced mine with webbing from Wal Mart... I have it hanging in my back yard and it seems to be doing fine.

Ramblinrev
09-04-2009, 18:32
I replaced mine with webbing from Wal Mart... I have it hanging in my back yard and it seems to be doing fine.

Caution... do NOT use the webbing from the fabric dept if you still hove one. That is the only good thing about the demise of the fabric departments imo. You can no longer get that horridly weak terrible webbing. I had it break on me w/o significant warning. If you want to get webbing from wally world go to the auto dept and buy the ratchet straps. You know what the working load is on those and you get a better product. Just remove the hardware and you are good to go.

Kerflop
09-04-2009, 20:21
Rev, that is exactly what I did... High strength auto ratchet straps... Thanks for looking out for us newbies.

Bob

Chief Hammock Officer
09-05-2009, 07:02
Hey Sonic,

I read your post and it sounds like the set up from the factory wasn't the way it was supposed to be, my apologies. It would be great if you could send me an email or shoot me a call, so i can get more information from you in hopes of this not happening again. You can email me at [email protected] if you have a second.

Jon

Kerflop
09-05-2009, 07:14
CHO, as you commented in the other post you saw I did have the rope. It was a user error. I sleep out in the hammock for a bit last night but my butt and back got too cold. Will have to pick up a CCF pad today on our way to the back country. And I was getting cold at a temp of around 57 degrees, but was only cold when there was a wind.