PDA

View Full Version : Stitching doesn't look quite right

Spaceman
12-03-2014, 17:46
Can someone tell me if the stitching in these photos looks correct? I was expecting all of the stitches to form in a straight line, but if you look closely, the bottom of each stitch is slightly offset from the top of the previous stitch, giving the appearance of slightly angled stitches. Is this normal? If not, any idea how I can correct it?

These are the top stitches
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab35/spacemanlee--/Hammock%20Stuff/Picture001_zps487ce099.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/spacemanlee--/media/Hammock%20Stuff/Picture001_zps487ce099.jpg.html)

These are the bottom stitches
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab35/spacemanlee--/Hammock%20Stuff/Picture002_zpsc3e1aa2c.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/spacemanlee--/media/Hammock%20Stuff/Picture002_zpsc3e1aa2c.jpg.html)

Fabric is a 1.9 ACU ripstop from DIY Gear Supply. Thread is Gutermann Mara 70 sewn with an Organ #12 needle on a Juki 8700 machine.

ksbcrocks
12-03-2014, 18:20
I think that's from not feeding the material through completely parallel. It's possible to have the fabric going in at a slight angle, and you may be correcting it with a slight push or pull in the opposite direction without even realizing it. I had the same problem, and now I make sure I'm actually feeding the fabric in completely straight and my stitches actually look straight.

gmcttr
12-03-2014, 18:22
That is completely normal when using a relatively thick thread with thin fabric. It is the crossing of the upper and lower thread that twists the stitch.

With a thinner thread or thicker fabric, the threads have more depth of bury in the fabric giving a chance for the stitch to straighten out before it shows at the surface. Try the same setup on a thicker fabric or fold the 1.9 over a few more times and I think you will see the stitch straighten out.

Spaceman
12-03-2014, 18:32
I think that's from not feeding the material through completely parallel. It's possible to have the fabric going in at a slight angle, and you may be correcting it with a slight push or pull in the opposite direction without even realizing it. I had the same problem, and now I make sure I'm actually feeding the fabric in completely straight and my stitches actually look straight.

I typically don't pull the fabric at all. I let the feed dogs do the work and just keep a slight tension on the fabric feeding into the needle to keep things straight. I've even tested it without holding the fabric (completely hands off to see what would happen with just the feed dogs controlling it) and got the same angled results.

Spaceman
12-03-2014, 18:35
That is completely normal when using a relatively thick thread with thin fabric. It is the crossing of the upper and lower thread that twists the stitch.

With a thinner thread or thicker fabric, the threads have more depth of bury in the fabric giving a chance for the stitch to straighten out before it shows at the surface. Try the same setup on a thicker fabric or fold the 1.9 over a few more times and I think you will see the stitch straighten out.

Bingo! Nice and straight on 5 layers of 1.9. Thanks.

Since Mara 70 seems to be a popular choice for all-purpose hammock work, I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with the stitch, besides the appearance. I'd probably get a straighter stitch with Mara 100 (Sew-All), but I'd lose a little strength as well. I haven't even played with lighter weight fabric yet. Are you guys sticking with Mara 70 on fabrics like 1.1 and 1.4 and even lighter stuff like Argon?

Ramblinrev
12-03-2014, 19:40
with the thin fabric you were stitching at first you might try loosening the top tension just a bit. Not much. That should prevent the top thread from pulling the bobbin thread thorugh. It will still be close and may not make much of a difference. But it might be worth a try.

BigMista50
12-03-2014, 21:42
My stitches look just like yours when using heavy polyester thread. I have tried using 3 different sewing machines each separated by about 20 years of production, with same results. Machines used were 1926 Singer 128, 1953 Pfaff 130 and an 80's Singer.

Spaceman
12-03-2014, 22:14
My stitches look just like yours when using heavy polyester thread. I have tried using 3 different sewing machines each separated by about 20 years of production, with same results. Machines used were 1926 Singer 128, 1953 Pfaff 130 and an 80's Singer.

I don't feel so bad now. I thought it might be operator error or something with my machine. It certainly wasn't the result I was expecting so it was a little frustrating trying to troubleshoot it. I should have just asked the experts when it first came up.

Tacblades
12-06-2014, 02:30
I always set a slight wave for my stitching anyway to add give. If the stitching is exactly straight under load the fabric can give and rip the thread or rip the holes, a slight wave gives a nice buffer under tension.