PDA

View Full Version : Grosgrain for corner reinforcement on Tarp?

MidTNJohn
12-07-2014, 12:46
I ordered some SilPoly from Ripstopbytheroll and plan to do a couple of simple rectangular Asym Tarps.
I have some 2 1/4" grosgrain on hand.
Would that be a suitable material for the corners?

ksbcrocks
12-07-2014, 14:33
That's quite a bit wider than what most people use, I believe. I've used 5/8" and 7/8" on my tarps without any problems.

MidTNJohn
12-07-2014, 16:27
Oops...wasn't clear.
Not for the Tie-Outs, was going to put a triangle shaped reinforcement like the DIYGearsupply plans

ksbcrocks
12-07-2014, 17:07
Oh, I can't help you much with that. The first tarp I made I didn't use any reinforcement. My second tarp was quite a bit bigger so I did reinforcement similar to what is on my friend's warbonnet tarp.

VictoriaGuy
12-07-2014, 18:25
Oops...wasn't clear.
Not for the Tie-Outs, was going to put a triangle shaped reinforcement like the DIYGearsupply plans
That's a bit more 'heavy duty' than I would do, but it should work OK.
You'll probably want to 'set in' the grosgrain from the edges so that you will be folding the ripstop over the grosgrain when you hem the tarp. (...rather than folding the grosgrain over along with the fabric).

No matter what you choose, make sure that your reinforcements can't become 'water bags' when they get wet...

MidTNJohn
12-08-2014, 14:46
Will do.
The DIYGearsupply plans tell you to sew the edges into the hem.
But they say to use a thicker Nylon material for it.

If the grosgrain is on the bottom side of the tarp would that be OK?

V_Allen
12-08-2014, 15:04
It will definitely be heavy duty, but not terribly heavy weight wise. If its all you have, it will work ok - I've repaired/modded military cargo tarps using a 2.5" grosgrain and as far as I know, they're still in service. I don't use re-enforcements on tarps anymore as the grosgrain folded into a "V" 8-10 inches long om my tarps have been in 60mph winds and held just fine - yes, the stakes were 12" long to hold everything down.

Boston
12-08-2014, 15:11
Will do.
The DIYGearsupply plans tell you to sew the edges into the hem.
But they say to use a thicker Nylon material for it.

Here are some images of how I do my reinforcement. This is with 7/8" grosgrain, but you could still do something similar with the larger stuff if you wanted.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82703&d=1396143857

Back side. This pic is from the first time I tried this. I don't overlap the grosgrain anymore - it's cut at an angle to mate together in the corner - or top sew the tie out loop (sewn like above now). I also reduced the length significantly (maybe 4-6")
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53832&d=1375705125

VictoriaGuy
12-09-2014, 00:08
Should work fine...any reinforcements should be on the 'underside' of the tarp IMO, but out at the tarp edge it doesn't matter that much....still, it looks better if the outside of the tarp is uncluttered as possible.

I'd recommend seriously considering mesh (or fabric) 'bags' for guylines as part of your edge/corner reinforcements. They reduce tangles quite a bit.

Dave-O
01-13-2015, 14:24
Here are some images of how I do my reinforcement. This is with 7/8" grosgrain, but you could still do something similar with the larger stuff if you wanted.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82703&d=1396143857

Back side. This pic is from the first time I tried this. I don't overlap the grosgrain anymore - it's cut at an angle to mate together in the corner - or top sew the tie out loop (sewn like above now). I also reduced the length significantly (maybe 4-6")
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53832&d=1375705125

Boston,

What's the advantage of not sewing to the edge of the inner part of the grosgrain (i.e., the diagonal stitching)?

Sincerely,
Dave-O

Boston
01-13-2015, 16:39
This is theory mostly, as I've done no testing. I starting doing this after benchmarking a Warbonnet tarp. From an engineering perspective I'd expect you're not creating a stress point in the fabric where it could tear along the stitch line easily. When evaluating stress in a component, sharp geometry changes tend to act as "stress risers", where the stress in the component is locally higher. This is why component's usually fail where there is a geometry change.

In this case the stitching carries the load to the fabric, and the 90 degree angle would act to concentrate the stress in the middle of the fabric, instead of at the hem.

Dave-O
01-13-2015, 17:02
Thanks. That's what I kind of figured about 10 minutes after I posted my question. Great picture!

ksbcrocks
01-13-2015, 20:44
I wondered why Warbonnet did that on their tie outs. That makes sense!