PDA

View Full Version : Adding to the Collection

XTrekker
12-11-2014, 17:13
My Mid-Spring/Mid-Fall Hammock
Length: 10'6"
Suspension: UCR with MSH
Tree Straps: Custom 3500lb BS 6' and 8' Straps
Guy-Outs: Just for fun(dont really use them)
Weight: Just short of 800g (including suspension)
Bug-net is fully retractable with Quad zippers for easy UQ adjustments

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98665&stc=1

PaPa K
12-11-2014, 17:18
Very nice, great dig camo. What is the width?

SnrMoment
12-11-2014, 17:47
Fine looking rig.

Ridgehanger
12-11-2014, 18:09
Looks like a lincon compared to my pinto lol

XTrekker
12-11-2014, 21:01
Very nice, great dig camo. What is the width?

Thanks, the width is 60". I cut the ends of my hammocks alittle differently than most. I put a shallow semi-cat cut at each end. Usually about 1.5" depth to the curve at each end. This makes the sides about 3" shorter that the middle which helps pull the sides up and eliminate some of the flop.

XTrekker
12-11-2014, 21:03
Fine looking rig.

Thanks SnrMoment

Looks like a lincon compared to my pinto lol

Thanks...lol

Scott8691
12-11-2014, 21:18
Very nice!

AceShooter
12-11-2014, 22:27
Been wondering about the cat cut you did on the end. I'm assuming it helped with the flop?

Nice looking set up!

Also, where did you get the tree straps with your name in them?

Ridgehanger
12-11-2014, 22:56
Been wondering about the cat cut you did on the end. I'm assuming it helped with the flop?

Nice looking set up!

just notice that !!! Those are cool!!

StuckinPark
12-12-2014, 02:00
Sweet! Love the camo

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-13-2014, 07:44
Beautiful done as always XTrekker.

Have you used the partial cover at the foot end before? I've been thinking about adding them on each end of my hammock for really ghastly weather as a bit of protection

GoatHanger
12-13-2014, 08:08
So, when are you going into business? Or do you feel the hammock community is already saturated with cottage vendors? Or like a lot of things in life, they're fun until they become a job.

Regardless, I always enjoy looking at the gear you make, and am envious of that skill set. Very cool, man.

Koolranch
12-13-2014, 08:16
Very nice, I like the custom straps.

remstar
12-13-2014, 09:39
Nice job. The retractable net looks pretty neat. I'm waiting on my zipper to finish off my first hammock. I'll post pics when finished.

XTrekker
12-13-2014, 20:47
So, when are you going into business? Or do you feel the hammock community is already saturated with cottage vendors? Or like a lot of things in life, they're fun until they become a job.

Regardless, I always enjoy looking at the gear you make, and am envious of that skill set. Very cool, man.

Thankks GoayHanger. Doubt I would ever start a business. Market has plenty of great vendors already. I have made a few hammocks in the past for a couple members who contacted me. Might make one now and then for someone but i work too many hours to ever do it consistantly. I want to spend more time working on DIY backpacks though. I do plan to make some revised videos soon of my new methods. Much simpler methods now.

XTrekker
12-13-2014, 20:50
Very nice!
Thanks Scott

Nice looking set up!

Custom ordered them from a strap supplier. Forget the name. I'll message ya if I can remember it.
Bit expensive though.

just notice that !!! Those are cool!!
Thanks Ridgehanger

Sweet! Love the camo

Thanks StuckinPark

XTrekker
12-13-2014, 20:54
Beautiful done as always XTrekker.

Have you used the partial cover at the foot end before? I've been thinking about adding them on each end of my hammock for really ghastly weather as a bit of protection
Yeah on one of my hammocks I made for a good friend year or so ago asked me to put large ends on the hammock.

Very nice, I like the custom straps.
Thanks Kool ranch

Nice job. The retractable net looks pretty neat. I'm waiting on my zipper to finish off my first hammock. I'll post pics when finished.
Thanks remstar. Look forward to your build.

jwright
12-13-2014, 23:09
Another beauty Xtrek.
Is that the 1.6oz camo you had a few years ago? It looks like it, but I recall it being a bit wider than 60". That is still my favorite fabric - just the right amount of give.

XTrekker
12-14-2014, 17:41
Another beauty Xtrek.
Is that the 1.6oz camo you had a few years ago? It looks like it, but I recall it being a bit wider than 60". That is still my favorite fabric - just the right amount of give.

Thanks jwright. Yep same stuff. Finally finished off the rest if the roll. Still have a blank left that I will make later on. Got 5 blanks left on the marpat roll that I will eventually make also. Yeah that fabric is 65ish inches wide but I cut it down for this hammock.

SmAk9
12-14-2014, 17:45
Nice looking rig. How long did it take?

XTrekker
12-14-2014, 22:22
Nice looking rig. How long did it take?

Thanks Smak9. I think I spent a few hours on it.

mal310
12-27-2014, 05:07
That looks a fine hanging rig. Well done XTrekker, you have a good eye for detail.

MAD777
12-27-2014, 07:44
Smart looking hammock XTrekker! I would expect nothing less from you. I like the built-in gear hammock at the ridgeline and, of course, the trademark straps. Well done!

XTrekker
12-27-2014, 16:06
That looks a fine hanging rig. Well done XTrekker, you have a good eye for detail.

Thanks mal310

Smart looking hammock XTrekker! I would expect nothing less from you. I like the built-in gear hammock at the ridgeline and, of course, the trademark straps. Well done!

Thanks Mad777. Borrowed the gear hammock idea from Otter.

MuleTeam
12-29-2014, 13:51
Awesome looking hammock you made there! I have just made a gathered end hammock out of the 1.4 PolyD from Dutch and am gathering courage to try and sew on a bug net. There is no way I would even give it a try without the help of you and your videos! Thank you so much for all you have given to us DIY newbies! It is very much appreciated!

theclark5
12-29-2014, 18:24
Hey XTrekker what is the length of the foot end triangle cover on this hammock. I like the longer look. Does the extra length on that affect the ability to sit in the hammock as a chair?

XTrekker
12-29-2014, 21:52
Awesome looking hammock you made there! I have just made a gathered end hammock out of the 1.4 PolyD from Dutch and am gathering courage to try and sew on a bug net. There is no way I would even give it a try without the help of you and your videos! Thank you so much for all you have given to us DIY newbies! It is very much appreciated!

Thanks MuleTeam. Glad they helped. Its feedback like this that makes it worth while to make them. I plan to make a newer version of the bugnet video on my next hammock. I have simplified a few things alittle now days. On the previous video I over complicated the triangle ends alittle. Plus my bugnets are set on a bias which doesnt allow the user to lay either direction which I will address in the next video. I will try and demonstrate both methods.

Hey XTrekker what is the length of the foot end triangle cover on this hammock. I like the longer look. Does the extra length on that affect the ability to sit in the hammock as a chair?

I believe it was 18" with a 70 degree angle. Havent had any issues with sitting in the hammock with the longer triangles.

x PREACHER x
01-27-2015, 13:17
Great job!

I'm trying to wrap my head around the purpose and placement of the cat-cut that has been mentioned.
It's on the ends? Where the channel is sewn?
Can you explain it to me like I'm a 4-year-old? Like, is it a smiley face curve or a frowny face curve?

It's a great looking hammock regardless.

WaffleBox
01-28-2015, 09:47
I believe this is what he did. Try not to be jealous of my Paint skills.

bubba74
01-28-2015, 14:52
I WANT those straps! okay, not those, but straps with my name on them <turns green with envy>

Great job (yet again)!

x PREACHER x
01-28-2015, 18:24
I believe this is what he did. Try not to be jealous of my Paint skills.

Haha, okay that makes sense. :)
Thanks!
I will be trying that next. I'm happy w how they turn out without it, but I think this is nice improvement.

peterhase
01-28-2015, 18:58
Wow! Nice hammock! Very clean workmanship :)

Tonykarter
01-28-2015, 19:08
I'd pay to stand behind you and look over your shoulder.

Rock Paper Scissors
01-28-2015, 20:34
Sweet set up. Thanks for posting pics

Rollintent
01-28-2015, 21:26
Thanks, the width is 60". I cut the ends of my hammocks alittle differently than most. I put a shallow semi-cat cut at each end. Usually about 1.5" depth to the curve at each end. This makes the sides about 3" shorter that the middle which helps pull the sides up and eliminate some of the flop.

Wouldn't a cat cut on the ends make the sides slightly longer in relation to the center compared to a straight end? My sewing machine slightly puckers my fabric on the end channels. That made the sides tight when I sit down In the hammock making me reluctant to sit in the hammock with my lower legs hanging over the edge for fear of ripping my end channel stitches with the sides so tight. So I was thinking about putting a 2-3" cat cut in the ends to counter the tight sides I got on my first hammock. How do you like yours so far?

Snowball
02-01-2015, 07:06
Wouldn't a cat cut on the ends make the sides slightly longer in relation to the center compared to a straight end? My sewing machine slightly puckers my fabric on the end channels. That made the sides tight when I sit down In the hammock making me reluctant to sit in the hammock with my lower legs hanging over the edge for fear of ripping my end channel stitches with the sides so tight. So I was thinking about putting a 2-3" cat cut in the ends to counter the tight sides I got on my first hammock. How do you like yours so far?
The theory in hammocks is not simple because there are many factors. Any minor changes you make have an impact. In the picture below I have tried to illustrate ½ a hammock but please have in mind is in 2D and hammocks are in 3D. When you add the ridgeline/sag you get the third dimension.
I won’t pretend I understand it all because I don’t.
We start out with flat piece of fabric and then we gather it and if you look at ¼ of the hammock it becomes a triangle but because the outer edge is shorter it adds sag and tighten the edges.
Adding a cat curve to the ends (it’s actually called a convex because its “out going”) the center of the hammock drops down/the edges get shorter and tighter. The result is a deeper hammock.
If you add a concave shape (inwards curve) to the long side edges the sides are lowered but hammocks bottom shape will remain the same. What you gain is less floppy edges in the middle and its more easy to get in and out of but less side support. Depending on the depth of the concave shape you will also remove some of the “side wall” in the head and foot end and then your feet and head can move over the edge if you don’t have an integrated bugnet. BTW checkout XTrekker’s bugnet video, very cool! :thumbup1:
A while back I made a hammock with approx 3” convex ends and 6” concave side edges. I won’t do that again! It’s too deep and very unconvertible to sit in. If you use a rolled hem on the edges it won’t rip. Mine did not, HyperD 1.6 and 1 stitch row.
Something to remember is if your hammock ends are symmetrical (alike) any changes you make has a x2 factor.
The method used for gathering the ends also changes the hammock shape. XTrekker’s ends are closed and pulled towards the center with a zip-ty. It gives a very nice finish if you ask me. If it was hung from a sewn channel the hammock would be a little bit deeper.
Sewing a hem or channels on a curve is a nightmare and the smaller it gets the worse it is.:scared: The reason is our thread injectors are made for sewing in a straight line and it feeds the fabric in a straight line under the pressure foot. For hems I use a tool I made also for big cat curves but it is a challenge and the result is not perfect but for smaller cat curves pins are the only solution if you can’t do it free handed. Sometimes it helps to start at the middle and sew towards the edge, especially if you are sewing a wider channel (>1/2”).
Anything you do has pros and or cons!
102108 102109

x PREACHER x
02-01-2015, 09:39
Thanks for the good explanation Snowball.

XTrekker
02-01-2015, 20:59
Sorry its been a bit since I have had a chance to visit this thread. In response to the catcuts that I put on my hammock ends;
I usually do them with a shallow curve. Usually only about 1.5" curve on each end. This adds up to be about 3" difference between the lengths of the sides and the center. To be honest, I really dont cut an actual cat curve. I have found that the perfect balance is with a 10"-12" section in the center of the ends where there is no cut. And I typically do straight cuts to make things easier to stitch. This method was really never meant to give the hammock a different lay but rather alleviate some of the side flop of the hammock. This is really a preference thing and others may not find the results as desirable.

Snowball
02-02-2015, 11:02
Sorry its been a bit since I have had a chance to visit this thread. In response to the catcuts that I put on my hammock ends;
I usually do them with a shallow curve. Usually only about 1.5" curve on each end. This adds up to be about 3" difference between the lengths of the sides and the center. To be honest, I really dont cut an actual cat curve. I have found that the perfect balance is with a 10"-12" section in the center of the ends where there is no cut. And I typically do straight cuts to make things easier to stitch. This method was really never meant to give the hammock a different lay but rather alleviate some of the side flop of the hammock. This is really a preference thing and others may not find the results as desirable.

I know now it wasn’t your intension to change the lay with the end shapes but now I am curious. Do you know if the lay changes with your semi straight ends VS. a convex end?
I have tried many combinations but never your shape but it makes sense because an arch is a pain ……. to sew.

In my experience it doesn’t take more than ½-1” in the ends deliberately, odd shapes or unintentionally before it makes a difference in the lay. These days I prefer to hang from a channel end its because of the lay. Visually I like your method better but comfort has priority for me.

BTW thanks for the videos! Much appreciated

XTrekker
02-02-2015, 15:47
I know now it wasn’t your intension to change the lay with the end shapes but now I am curious. Do you know if the lay changes with your semi straight ends VS. a convex end?
I have tried many combinations but never your shape but it makes sense because an arch is a pain ……. to sew.

In my experience it doesn’t take more than ½-1” in the ends deliberately, odd shapes or unintentionally before it makes a difference in the lay. These days I prefer to hang from a channel end its because of the lay. Visually I like your method better but comfort has priority for me.

BTW thanks for the videos! Much appreciated

There might be some subtle differences. But for the most part the lay is about the same.