PDA

View Full Version : Down and primaloft hybrid TQ's

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-17-2014, 13:53
In an attempt to fix what isn't broken I have added a 1' wide band or primaloft down the long sides of two quilts. A bit of an experiment really but the reason being that I wanted to see if the primaloft would be warmer under compression at the shoulders, incase of gaps, and on the heels of the feet/calves if using shorter mats or UQ. I also thought that it may help with condensation/drying if using a mat, horrible weather or if on the ground

Grey brown TQ: 6" sewn through squares on the primaloft with the down portion being 6" wide sewn through with loads of over stuff.

640g/22oz 74x50x32inch with 2.5"loft at the peaks
Primaloft wash 133g/m

Orange grey TQ : 6"sewn through squares on 60g/m primaloft with square down panels measuring 6x4" lofting to about an inch.

71x47x30inch and weighs 370g /13oz

Apologies for the terrible photos, carpet and lighting as it's a new house

craige
12-17-2014, 16:52
Nice, looking good Scot. Will be interesting to see how they work out.

Firesong
12-17-2014, 17:40
Looks great! A lot of effort went into that.

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-17-2014, 18:17
Nice, looking good Scot. Will be interesting to see how they work out.

Thanks Craig, as soon as Xmas is over I'll get to try them. I'll probably need both though.

Looks great! A lot of effort went into that.

Cheers, primaloft was a real faff but it's growing on me. I only used primaloft after making a quick quilt out of climashield and been pretty disappointed with it, though admittedly much easier!

psyculman
12-18-2014, 05:41
Very nice looking work!

Using the two together should get you down to the teens. I have a Cocoon brand Primaloft bag cover, which it is much less loft than that, and it adds about 15 degrees of warmth to my summer quilt.

WV
12-18-2014, 07:48
Thanks for pushing (or insulating ;)) the envelope! I had to look up "faff".

(UK, slang) An unnecessary or over-complicated task, especially one perceived as a waste of time. "Adjusting this television is a bit of a faff."
Which type of Primaloft were you using? Do they use the new labels, "Silver" and "Gold" in the UK? I like the stuff, but I'm not sure whether I got PL "One" or PL "Sport" a couple of years ago, and I disremember how those names translate into metallic.

Let us know how using two quilts together works for you. I'm thinking of devising a way of keeping my footboxes nested properly.

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-18-2014, 09:44
Very nice looking work!

Using the two together should get you down to the teens. I have a Cocoon brand Primaloft bag cover, which it is much less loft than that, and it adds about 15 degrees of warmth to my summer quilt.

Thanks, I'm hoping the primloft roughly matches up to the down used. Time will tell.

Thanks for pushing (or insulating ;)) the envelope! I had to look up "faff".

Which type of Primaloft were you using? Do they use the new labels, "Silver" and "Gold" in the UK? I like the stuff, but I'm not sure whether I got PL "One" or PL "Sport" a couple of years ago, and I disremember how those names translate into metallic.

Let us know how using two quilts together works for you. I'm thinking of devising a way of keeping my footboxes nested properly.

Ah British slang, I'll forgive you though as when I go a 100 miles north I need a dictionary to understand the Scots ;)

I used primaloft one which I believe is now called gold in the US (its still listed as primaloft one on extrem textil in Germany) odd as I thought primaloft was German ?

I did once put a few reversed snaps in a different colour to attach two quilts tegether where the snaps closed the foot box, worked OK. I sold the quilts so cant take a picture for you though.

ckmaui
12-18-2014, 11:14
very cool idea I was wondering the same thing myself :)

Just Bill
12-18-2014, 12:57
Gold is the new One
Silver is the new Sport

Otherwise- great idea!
Been debating a single layer PL or Apex with a Narrow double layer over the top to simulate what you did in synthetic.

RedStix
12-18-2014, 17:37
Nice work, Porkchop! Looking forward to hearing about some field testing on these.

Scotty Von Porkchop
12-19-2014, 04:47
Been debating a single layer PL or Apex with a Narrow double layer over the top to simulate what you did in synthetic.

This was my original idea but my sister (ex pro seamstress) warned me of doing quilting in the centre of a larger quilt as space in the machine runs out and mistakes happen. I not saying dont do it (it would be I think awesome!) just very difficult. Once I'm more used to quilting I do want to do a real pure primaloft quilt though.

Just Bill
12-19-2014, 10:11
This was my original idea but my sister (ex pro seamstress) warned me of doing quilting in the centre of a larger quilt as space in the machine runs out and mistakes happen. I not saying dont do it (it would be I think awesome!) just very difficult. Once I'm more used to quilting I do want to do a real pure primaloft quilt though.

I've done it with Apex no problem- I simply sew the second layer to outer shell.
Works great on an UQ to give you a little extra oomph at the butt or shoulders- or just with an extra torso layer-(You can mostly see the stitch line in the pic)

PL- I think I would do the same- one layer quilted to inner shell, second to outer- but I understand what she's saying- lotta material and thickness for a basic home machine.99097

Scotty Von Porkchop
08-06-2015, 13:46
A quick update on how the primaloft is holding up with use.

I've only used the 66g/m2 primaloft sewn through every 6" as I sold the other one (I've been selling quilts on eBay). So anyway the quilt has now been laundered about 5 times and used for around 50 nights hammocking, in bivy bags, land-rovers, flights and mates floors. Its certainly not been handled with kid gloves and appears to be just as thick and no rips or tears, as far as I can tell it's as good as new (although quite hard to tell as it's very thin anyway).

I definitely prefer primaloft to climashield in terms of how it feels and drapes, shame it's such a royal PITA to put together.

All in all I'm really happy with it. That said down is still king :-)113536

VaderStrom
08-06-2015, 14:23
I love the combo idea. I've got some synthetics showing up this week that would be great to combine with the small amount of down i have left.

Scotty Von Porkchop
08-06-2015, 14:50
Think my 66g hybrid was made using the down left over from a jacket, I don't think I even used a full jacket worth in the end. So really efficient use of down.

I actually made another thicker hybrid one today as I really like the hybrid. 113537