PDA

View Full Version : Another DIY UG

brianb
12-18-2014, 00:21
Hey folks, just finished my Underquilt. Thought I'd post a photo or two.

Typical nine channel UQ from following one of the tutorials. 4" loft in the edges, a little more in the center. Recovered the down from an old comforter. Messy, messy, messy. Everyone on the forum who said you shouldn't do this was right. I'm glad to have tested it just to understand the process, but I'm pretty sure my next UQ will be coming from one of our vendors.

Regardless I'm happy with the results, and I'm glad to be part of the UQ club. Tested it last night for about 45 minutes outside at 40° no problem. Heading out for an overnighter to Stone Mountain North Carolina, 30ish° expected temps. Not taking my trusty CCF, so if this thing doesn't work I'll be sitting by the fire all night.

Used argon fabric from Dutch. Great stuff, would definitely use it again. I think half of the DIY process is just learning about the gear. I definitely have an appreciation for the work from our cottage vendors.

Not sure on the weight, but since it came from an old comforter I'm sure it's heavy. Packs well in my pack.

Cheers, Brian

Xtrm tj
12-18-2014, 06:20
Looks really nice...congrats. I want to try the diy route on a tq soon.

Scott8691
12-18-2014, 06:55
That came out really nice!

Otter1
12-18-2014, 08:26
You'll EASILY handle below 30° in that thing!

Very nice.

brianb
12-18-2014, 16:18
Thanks All, appreciate the nice words. Looking forward to taking it on its maiden voyage.

Looks really nice...congrats. I want to try the diy route on a tq soon.

You should definitely give it a try if you enjoy making things. It's frustrating at times, but pretty awesome when you finish something.

Good luck.

Hudsonhawk
12-18-2014, 20:17
With that kind of loft and 30's you might need to vent it.

How many hours do you think you have into it? Looks great man.

boulderv7
12-18-2014, 20:49
Nice work. Lots of loft! How tall are your baffle walls? I'm finishing up one for my wife for Xmas. Just gotta fill it and sew the end shut. The worst part. :)

brianb
12-19-2014, 02:02
How many hours do you think you have into it? Looks great man.

I'm guessing 10 hours. I used the UQ calculator to help with the dimensions and spent at least an hour marking all my sew lines. If you do any wood working, a lot of the lessons learned there can be applied to sewing. I'm also not a perfectionist, so I didn't freak out and start over if I made a little mistake. You just deal with it during your finishing work.

Nice work. Lots of loft! How tall are your baffle walls? :)

Baffles were 3" I believe. I'll check the UQ calc next chance I get.

Hudsonhawk
12-19-2014, 15:19
Sweet man thanks. I've been practicing with my surprise box from ripstopbytheroll, trying to get my injector dialed in.

MDSH
12-19-2014, 16:24
Looks good and will probably work great.

Congratulations!

SirMarkos
12-19-2014, 21:56
Good looking quilt! Wish you knew what the fill power was :)

brianb
01-20-2015, 00:12
Just thought I would check in on this thing. I've had it on two backpacking trips and two backyard hangs. Having never seen an underquilt in person, my quilt needed a modification to the suspension and a bit of dialing in on usage/placement.

I've used it as low as 22 degrees (backyard) and it did well. I had on warm clothes and a jacket, so it definitely had some help.

It's been awesome. Pain to build, but worth it.

Brian

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/19/d56e98a4f092a54ed24caaea7e5acc63.jpg