PDA

View Full Version : Clark NX-250 Impressions

Kankujoe
08-28-2009, 01:57
I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where Clark NX-250 users could deposit their impressions. Maybe it will help those seeking information on this particular hammock system. It would be helpful for others to post some of their impressions here also.

I'll start with my previous postings from another thread.

8-17-2009
So far I've had three nights in my new NX250 hammock. Two of these nights it rained pretty hard and continuous. I stayed dry & comfortable. The 1st night I used a milsurp CCF pad. On nights 2 & 3 I didn't use anything except a lite fleece blanket & camp pillow. I was pretty comfortable except for the ambient humidity. I'm looking forward to cooler temps.

I like my set up pretty well so far, been tweaking things a little, learning what works best for me. Installed an inside shock-cord ridgeline to hang some small gear & an overhead LED light. So far so good, I was able to read comfortably for several hours while lounging and listening to the critters at night.

I also really like the drip rings that came with it, a video on Clark's website shows how to use them & the polypro ropes as a tensioner to set & adjust the hammock suspension. These along with a couple climbing biners & tree hugger straps makes the setup a breeze. Much more easy than trying to adjust the hang with a bowline knot. I'm using nitesize figure 9s on all of my guidelines on the tarp. These make tension adjustments rather easy. I think I'll also begin using a corded ridgeline on the tarp (it has a seamed ridgeline). I believe this will protect it better from wind gusts, the material & stitching is quality but I think I'll feel more comfortable with a standard ridgeline.

Some other observations: The NX250 has a lot of room, I'm able to move around in it, lay diagonal, lay on my side, and back with relative ease & comfort. There is no significant shoulder squeeze, there is plenty of elbow room and it is long enough to lay relatively flat. The hammock base is long enough to put my pack inside with me, I just need to figure a way to secure it & keep it from sliding to the middle (I'm planning on some kind of web handle/biner or a cargo net to secure my pack?). I'm glad I went with the NX250 vs the NX150 or the NA. The overall construction & materials are top notch. I also like the pockets underneath, it is easy & convenient stowing & retrieving gear while inside the hammock. The new tarp (RX250) is plenty large (124"L x 98"W on the head end & 74"W on the foot end) and has a catenary cut configuration.

I picked up a new pad, Exped Multipad 39"x79"x.12"(3mm) EVA ccf foam covered with ripstop nylon. It is big & seems to stay put. I'm looking forward to using it when the temps are cooler. I suspect I'll purchase Clark's UQ when they become available. The bug net canopy works well, easy to open/close on either side. The Weathershield is also easy to adjust, zip & upzip or stow away.

So far, I'm pretty happy with my new set up. Can't wait for the cooler weather to get out and really break it in.

8-24-2009
Some more impressions:

I spent the past two nights in my Clark NX-250 and I really like this setup... I can understand now the loyalty to the Clark brand.

Since the weather was forcasted to be clear I did not set up the tarp. I slept on top of an open cheapo ****'s mummy bag and had a fleece blanket as a top cover. I'm definately going to invest in a top quilt as this seems to be the easiest way to go. Still trying to decide what to sleep on (pad, quilt, blanket, bag). I expect to buy Clark's UQ setup when available...

I was completely comfortable on top of the open mummy bag w/o a pad in temps of 53* both nights. I had the "weathershield" closed to 80% length which added to the internal warmth, when zipped 100% it was a little too warm... but not bad, this will be a great feature as the temps drop, I expect to get all 4 seasons out of this setup. I slept in boxers & a cotton tee shirt, barefoot... but I had my feet in the mummy bag foot box... I also wore a fleece skull cap. I slept great at night and slept in a little...

I even took a mid day nap... expected to nap 20-30 minutes but slept for about 3 hours! This hammock is really comfortable. I've never slept this long or this comfortably on the ground. I've been missing out the past 40+ years of camping comfort.

As before, the set up is a breeze (about 2-3 minutes if that).

This time I used my Black Diamond Zenix IQ headlight to read for a few hours. Nice to be able to quickly stow the book underneath in the pockets when done and not wake up laying on it.

That's it for now...

tobster
08-28-2009, 15:34
My NX-250 arrived in the UK today - can't wait to get out in it...

Kankujoe
10-19-2009, 00:22
I just got back from my yearly camping/bicycling excursion to the Oktoberfest held in Hermann, Missouri. This is my 13th year of making this trek. There is usually between 2 & 6 of us who make the trip. This year a buddy & I camped on the Katy Trail (a 225 mile long RailTrail that crosses Missouri), we ride 20-30 miles on bicycle, go back to camp clean up and venture into Hermann for German food, wine, beer & music. Then back to camp between midnight & 1am.

This is the 1st time using hammocks for this trip (we have NX-250s). The temp Friday night got down to about 34* & Saturday night to about 30*. We used 3/8" CCF pads, fleece blanket on pad & open bags on top as TQs. We had no trouble staying comfortable & sleeping well. I was the late riser at 11am, my buddy got up about 9:30am. In years past we were up between 6 & 7am. It is so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

NickJ
10-25-2009, 09:03
review here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20002&page=2

molawns
10-25-2009, 14:16
Great reviews...thanks!

My Camo NX-250 should be here tomorrow! I'm doing backflips with anticipation! :drool::woot::boggle::shades:

Kankujoe
10-26-2009, 02:01
review here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20002&page=2

NickJ,

Nice review... thanks for posting the link...

Post your impressions of the z-liner setup once you get a chance to use it.

Triptease
10-28-2009, 00:14
NickJ,

Nice review... thanks for posting the link...

Post your impressions of the z-liner setup once you get a chance to use it.

I got my 250 and Z-Liner last week and had a chance to finally try it out last night. I have been waiting up in CT to try it out on a colder night to see what it could do. The temps only got down to 38/39, but I slept VERY warm in shorts and a long sleeve wicking shirt in a Go Lite Ultra 20 and Z-liner. I didn't feel any cold coming up through the bottom of the hammock whatsoever. I am looking forward to trying it out in even colder weather, but have no doubt that in silk underwear, fleece Acorn socks, neck gaiter, and hat/balaclava I should be able to take it down much colder. FWIW, the WeatherShield definitely helped out with holding the heat in. I'd have to say that it was at least 15-20 degrees warmer in my hammock than the outside. YMMV

plaunius
10-28-2009, 06:47
Ordered my NX-250 last night. I have a Speer Winter tarp so I opted out of the stock tarp. I will be using it next weekend and can't wait. These reviews are very helpful. I will return to add my own review when I get back.

Having not seen the hammock, my initial concern was if the bugnet/weathershield will sag in the center if the hammock is hung loose? I like some sag so I can lay on my side.

Can anyone help answer that for me? Thanks!

rocrunr
10-28-2009, 07:34
Good to hear positive responses to clark hammocks,I am looking at the new vertex by clark anyone have any imput on the vertex. Thanks Rocrunr

cliff355
10-28-2009, 07:38
O

I have pitched mine with a fair amount of sag, and if the weathershield bags down a bit it is not a problem. The shield does not have to be taught like a tarp to work. It is more of a problem pitching it without enough sag, because the shield can get so taught that the zippers won't work.

Also, there are tabs for setting it up without the poles (if they get busted/lost), and these could be used to take out some of the slack if you like a huge amount of sag.

It seems to me that the side-position is no problem when the hammock is pitched with just enough sag that the zippers of the shield work smoothly.

Triptease
10-28-2009, 11:52
Ordered my NX-250 last night. I have a Speer Winter tarp so I opted out of the stock tarp. I will be using it next weekend and can't wait. These reviews are very helpful. I will return to add my own review when I get back.

Having not seen the hammock, my initial concern was if the bugnet/weathershield will sag in the center if the hammock is hung loose? I like some sag so I can lay on my side.

You'll have no problems. You can lie on your side with no issues. I even found myself lying partly on my stomach at one point. I am a tossing sleeper and I was able to thrash about with no problems.

Triptease
10-28-2009, 11:53
Good to hear positive responses to clark hammocks,I am looking at the new vertex by clark anyone have any imput on the vertex. Thanks Rocrunr

Check out cavediver2's review of it in the Clark Hammocks forum. I'd love to get one too, but the $600 price tag is a little too steep for me.

NickJ
11-01-2009, 19:46
Some more thoughts from me:

z-liner - worked fine at 4 degrees (celcius), was very warm with just a quilt in shorts and a merino top. however, when you wriggle about trying to find a good sleeping position, the wriggling can dislodge the velcro foot end pad. didnt matter to me as it wasnt that cold but when it is, a really fresh cold wind would get dow in there and make you cold

Tarp - it's too small by far. For rainy weather, especially heavy rain there's no way its big enough. i m ordering a mact cat.

Pluses - VERY comfortable. had such amazing nights sleep in it, and the pockets are incredibly handy as well.

Triptease
11-02-2009, 01:27
Some more thoughts from me:

z-liner - worked fine at 4 degrees (celcius), was very warm with just a quilt in shorts and a merino top. however, when you wriggle about trying to find a good sleeping position, the wriggling can dislodge the velcro foot end pad. didnt matter to me as it wasnt that cold but when it is, a really fresh cold wind would get dow in there and make you cold

Tarp - it's too small by far. For rainy weather, especially heavy rain there's no way its big enough. i m ordering a mact cat.

Pluses - VERY comfortable. had such amazing nights sleep in it, and the pockets are incredibly handy as well.

NickJ - Although I did have the same exact problems/concerns that you did, I didn't feel they necessarily warranted a negative review since a. I know I move around FAR more than most sleepers and b. there are other tarps out there if you want to upgrade to a larger one.

I had another thought as well for EXTREMELY (zero or subzero weather). When the Z-liner is installed there is still plenty of room in the pockets. Had anyone considered "doubling" up the bottom pocket liners and thereby having 2 in each pocket? They would easily velcro to one another and still leave plenty of room for gear. By just filling the 6 pockets with an extra liner it would act as another half underquilt. I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $134... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!!

longbow
11-02-2009, 01:48
I had another thought as well for EXTREMELY (zero or subzero weather). When the Z-liner is installed there is still plenty of room in the pockets. Had anyone considered "doubling" up the bottom pocket liners and thereby having 2 in each pocket? They would easily velcro to one another and still leave plenty of room for gear. By just filling the 6 pockets with an extra liner it would act as another half underquilt. I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $79... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!![/QUOTE]

Hi mak52580: I think that you have a good idea there. I have the Z-Liner on my NX-250 and came to the same thought about "doubling up" the pocket liners for seriously low temperatures. There is plenty of room and the price is good.

I also think that layering another UQ or poncho liner over the Z-Liner would serve well at very low temperatures. I have recently used my JRB MW3 UQ installed over the Z-Liner system to add warmth at temps down to 20 degrees. That worked out very well. With both UQs in place, I felt that it could have been much colder with no problems.

plaunius
11-02-2009, 08:15
I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $79... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!!

DUDE! I had no idea that you could order the pieces individual. I just checked and the foot end alone is $55. Thanks for the tip!

NickJ
11-02-2009, 19:21
NickJ - Although I did have the same exact problems/concerns that you did, I didn't feel they necessarily warranted a negative review since a. I know I move around FAR more than most sleepers and b. there are other tarps out there if you want to upgrade to a larger one.

I had another thought as well for EXTREMELY (zero or subzero weather). When the Z-liner is installed there is still plenty of room in the pockets. Had anyone considered "doubling" up the bottom pocket liners and thereby having 2 in each pocket? They would easily velcro to one another and still leave plenty of room for gear. By just filling the 6 pockets with an extra liner it would act as another half underquilt. I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $79... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!!

Mak - it's an expensive piece of kit, hence I think that any review should look at it with a critical eye.

Yes you can buy a different tarp, but come on, at the kind of money a 250 costs, you expect the tarp to be right. Partly personal preference I know, but for any kind of wind or rain it's too small in anyones book.

In terms of the velcro. I don't wriggle that much at all. However, having now messed around with it since the weekend I've found the velcro "sets" better when you really take the time (ie dont do it in the field).

Triptease
11-02-2009, 23:16
Yes you can buy a different tarp, but come on, at the kind of money a 250 costs, you expect the tarp to be right. Partly personal preference I know, but for any kind of wind or rain it's too small in anyones book.

I think you are right that it all depends on personal preference. I agree that it is small, but I also think that I can live with it. It takes some experience being able to stake it out at the right angle, knowing how to set it up as a lean-to, A-frame, with trekking poles, etc. And if it gets very windy or cold, it has the velcro at both ends to completely "batten down the hatches." So although I would "prefer" a larger one, I think that is a complaint for many people regardless of which hammock they buy. I may not be entirely knowledgable on the matter since I am fairly new to hammocking, I can only assume that the "stock" tarp that comes with most hammocks is about the same size.

Triptease
11-02-2009, 23:19
I also think that layering another UQ or poncho liner over the Z-Liner would serve well at very low temperatures. I have recently used my JRB MW3 UQ installed over the Z-Liner system to add warmth at temps down to 20 degrees. That worked out very well. With both UQs in place, I felt that it could have been much colder with no problems.

I agree. I would love nothing better than a JRB UQ, but the money isn't there right now, and if I can get down to the same temps for $79 and a more compact overall package then I can live with that! If I had one, I certainly wouldn't be seeking out other alternatives lol.

NickJ
11-03-2009, 05:36
Mak, I'm new to hammocking too, but definitely not new to living outdoors with tarps etc. I like the design and cut of the tarp which comes with the 250, but in storm conditions, and even in heavy rain (which I had two nights of last weekend) it doesn't give enough coverage. It's difficult to get undressed and stay dry in the process, and driving rain can get under it. The storm shield works brilliantly, and I love the fact that the sil nylon is so light, but my other complaint about it is that the seam isnt sealed. The construction of the hammock in general is excellent I think, but to sell a product of this calibre and cost with an unsealed seam is lame.

Lookign at the pictorial diagram on the clark site, the tarp for the vertex might work better for the nx250 than the one it comes with. I don't really fancy the idea of the envelope set up with the velcro. How do you get into it with it all velcro'd up?!

TinaLouise
11-03-2009, 08:24
I like the design and cut of the tarp which comes with the 250, but in storm conditions, and even in heavy rain (which I had two nights of last weekend) it doesn't give enough coverage.

It's difficult to get undressed and stay dry in the process, and driving rain can get under it. The storm shield works brilliantly, and I love the fact that the sil nylon is so light,

but my other complaint about it is that the seam isnt sealed. The construction of the hammock in general is excellent I think, but to sell a product of this calibre and cost with an unsealed seam is lame.

I don't really fancy the idea of the envelope set up with the velcro. How do you get into it with it all velcro'd up?!

I've got a different Clark but still had/have the issues that you're addressing/asking about:
Not enough coverage, ends: I made a couple of end caps, sort of shaped like an ice cream cone and just covers the ends of my hammock. Helps with any wind blown rain that comes through the ends.
Not enough coverage, sides: My underquilts are made with DWR nylon so I don't worry so much about the bottom of my hammock getting rain splash up from the ground. I will also set up my hammock & tarp lower on the trees so I'm closer to the ground if the weather is crappy.
Getting Dressed: a difficult chore!!! Especially when the tarp is in storm mode! I flat out can not get undressed outside under the tarp if it's in storm mode. I've got to stake out one side and somehow get it done. If I'm already inside my hammock, I can change clothes there. But wet clothes will come off before getting inside, even if I have to just drop them on the ground (eeek) or sling them over my hammock ropes. These are things I still need to "practice" more of, in the back yard:scared:
Tarp not seam sealed: didn't bother me, I've bought tarp/tents, espensive ones too, that were not seam sealed. I sealed my clark tarp when I first got it.
Getting into the Clark w/tarp in storm mode: This is done CAREFULLY:lol: I stake out the middle tarp ropes so the inside middle of the tarp isn't right on top of me. Makes it look kind of like a fat middle, pinched ends, taco!!
The more I practice in the rain, the better I get at doing some of these things.
TinaLouise

NickJ
11-03-2009, 16:46
Interesting you have the same issues, TL. I've looked at most of the tarp firms out there and made an enquiry to one who sadly can't make it in camo. So, I'm going to design my own caternary tarp to the spec I want and make it, then I'll have no one to moan about but myself :lol:

Triptease
11-03-2009, 17:26
Interesting you have the same issues, TL. I've looked at most of the tarp firms out there and made an enquiry to one who sadly can't make it in camo. So, I'm going to design my own caternary tarp to the spec I want and make it, then I'll have no one to moan about but myself :lol:

If you are looking for anything bigger than 10x11 that's probably the only way to go without forking over an arm and a leg for it. OTOH, JRB has Olive Green 10x11 cat tarps... they aren't "camo" but then again olive green used to be the "old camo" on many miltary unis. FWIW

NickJ
11-03-2009, 18:11
yeah i already looked at all those mak, thanks

Triptease
11-04-2009, 13:46
yeah i already looked at all those mak, thanks

I also found this one (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0045518517605a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=ultralight+wing&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1)last night and ordered it. I will try it out and see how it works. If it is a no-go, then I'll just return it. It's on sale for $80, but it says it's a 12'x12' One of the reviewers stated that that measurement is on the diagonal, meaning at worst, it would be 10'x10' or so. I'm alst not a huge fan of the orange color, but since this will be used as a winter tarp mostly during hunting season it can't hurt I guess lol.

NickJ
11-07-2009, 17:40
That one would be hopeless for the UK, Mak. With the rain/wind we get it would flap around like a real *****. I think a diamond might be quite cool for summer and low/no wind, but for here, i wouldnt have it. it also says 1500mm pu waterproofing. Does that mean 1500mm hydrostatic head? if it does, thats pretty low for something which says "waterproof'

Kankujoe
11-08-2009, 17:35
I also found this one (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0045518517605a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=ultralight+wing&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1)last night and ordered it. I will try it out and see how it works. If it is a no-go, then I'll just return it. It's on sale for $80, but it says it's a 12'x12' One of the reviewers stated that that measurement is on the diagonal, meaning at worst, it would be 10'x10' or so. I'm alst not a huge fan of the orange color, but since this will be used as a winter tarp mostly during hunting season it can't hurt I guess lol.

Thinking along the same lines for use in expected cold weather & wet conditions... I bought a larger rectangular tarp from Campmor... it is a 10x12 nylon (Equinox) which matches "almost" identically to the Clark's green material color. I believe I paid about $40... only thing I don't like about it is the metal gromets (not bad but I'd prefer sewn pull tabs). Since most of my camping is via bicycle, kayak, car or short hikes, carrying the larger tarp is not an issue. Actually for stealth camping, the larger tarp helps me hide my bicycle or kayak, which is a plus...

IMO, for most uses... the standard tarp that comes with the NX-250 is a good & adequate size.

Triptease
11-09-2009, 00:21
Yeah, I am still having a hard time deciding. I really like the Campmor tarp that you told us about... what is the weight on it? I think I may return the other one that I mentioned in the previous post... we will see.

I also emailed OES about a SpinnUL tarp, but I haven't heard back yet.

Kankujoe
11-09-2009, 02:36
Yeah, I am still having a hard time deciding. I really like the Campmor tarp that you told us about... what is the weight on it? I think I may return the other one that I mentioned in the previous post... we will see.

I also emailed OES about a SpinnUL tarp, but I haven't heard back yet.

The Campmor site says that it weighs 1.9 oz/sq yard... so that makes it weigh about 25oz for the 10x12 tarp... about the same weight (within an oz or two) as the Cabelas tarp that you ordered...

plaunius
11-10-2009, 19:08
I hung in my Clark NX-250 for the first time this past weekend. It was the first time I have ever in a hammock I've closed my eyes and opened them and it was morning. Really, an amazing sleep.

I already had a Speer winter tarp so I didn't buy a tarp with it. As far as the hammock goes, It was sewn well and is really well made. I only have one problem so far and that is the lack of a forward d-ring for a ground anchor. I e-mailed Clark with a picture from this weekend and was told that I could return it and they would cover up to $12 of the shipping cost to install a d-ring. I can easily install it myself so I won't need to send it in. I used it as a gauge for customer service and they passed with flying colors.

Once I had the hammock hanging, my first impressin was "Wow, that is huge!" I was initialy concerned that I had bought the 250 by accident and should have bought the 150. I am 5'10" and weigh 250lbs. Once in, I appreciated the space. I have been used to my shoulder clinching ENOs. Another good thing I noticed about the NX-250 was the generous size of the built in stuff sack. I had no problem at all breaking it down and feel that if I had a Z-liner installed, I could leave it in place and stuff it as well.

If I had to look for a negative so far, it would be two small things. One is that when you have the Bug Net and Weather Shield off and in pockets, the foot end of the hammock falls down (back against the hang point) due to weight. I solved this my simply installing a section of shock cord to the loops in the head room section of the dome.

The other would be that the storeage pockets at the head are very small. In comparison to the outside pockets they are tiny. This is a small downside due to the huge exterior pockets but if they were 50% larger it would be nice.

The Clark NX-250 is a real gem. I am very happy that I forked out the dough on this hammock. It is expensive but you do get paid back with quality that will last for many seasons of hanging.

Triptease
11-10-2009, 20:50
Thanks for the great review. I am hoping to get mine out of the backyard and onto the trail for the first time this weekend. I hadn't tried to stuff the entire thing into the built-in pocket with the Z-liner installed and had instead been using a compression sack. I think I'll give it a try just for giggles tonight.

I also was a little depressed about the size of the interior pockets. It seems that I wouldn't even be able to fit my iPod Classic into one of them. No big deal overall though. As seen in one of Shug's videos, you can just make a pocket out of no see-um netting. I am lazy, and don't have a sewing machine, so I bought these (http://www.rei.com/product/681993). They also seem to work really well and are also non-existent weight-wise. I just clip one off to my interior ridge line and it hangs up and out of the way. I had originally thought that having 2 would be overkill, but then realized that a Nalgene fits perfect into them so I can have water in one and my iPod, headlamp, watch, etc. in the other. They also completely pack up with the hammock as well so there's no need to detach them every time.

NickJ
11-12-2009, 05:08
Mak, I tried to get mine (with z liner) into the integral pocket - no chance whatsoever. I'm amazed at whoever said they could do this, there just isnt the room!

You might also be interested in my new hanging system, mak. To put it in context, I'm 6'4 and about 250lb.

I replaced the lines with 10mm dyneema (not cheap) attached at the ends with a bowline and a safety knot. At the tree end, a tree hugger (clark) and a carabiner on that. Attached to the carabiner, a Petzl Tibloc. To hang, just push the rope through the tibloc until the hand is right, cinch is down and you're done. A tibloc is a small steel device with teetch. The 'biner puts pressure on the rope and forces it up into the tiblocs teeth. This is a bomb proof, simple, lightweight solution. No cinch buckles, no marlin spikes, no whoopie slings. If you're interested I can post a pic.

plaunius
11-12-2009, 09:17
Mak, I tried to get mine (with z liner) into the integral pocket - no chance whatsoever. I'm amazed at whoever said they could do this, there just isnt the room!

My fault! It was me but I didn't say that you could, (I don't have the Z-liner). I said that because the stuff sack was so large, I felt that you could. It was a guess based on the extra room left over. Thanks though for trying and letting us know it isn't possible. I plan on buying a Z-liner in Feb.

That makes me wonder if the stuff sack may be larger now. Did the original NX-250 come with the Velcro sewn onto the bottom for the Z-liner? In the picture on the Clark site, it isn't there. There is a slim chance that once the Z-liner came out, they increased the size of the interior stuff sack to incorporate it. Its not likely but possible.

I changed my suspension before the UPS truck got out of my neighborhood. Here is what I have now.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/pshasta/Whoopiewithhangers.jpg

Grillmastertoo
11-12-2009, 09:18
Hey Nick--
If you could post pics of the set up you describe, I would be interested in seeing it....It sounds very interesting....Where do you get the teeth device youa re talking about and how much do they sell for?
Thanks

Triptease
11-12-2009, 11:28

You might also be interested in my new hanging system, mak. To put it in context, I'm 6'4 and about 250lb.

I replaced the lines with 10mm dyneema (not cheap) attached at the ends with a bowline and a safety knot. At the tree end, a tree hugger (clark) and a carabiner on that. Attached to the carabiner, a Petzl Tibloc. To hang, just push the rope through the tibloc until the hand is right, cinch is down and you're done. A tibloc is a small steel device with teetch. The 'biner puts pressure on the rope and forces it up into the tiblocs teeth. This is a bomb proof, simple, lightweight solution. No cinch buckles, no marlin spikes, no whoopie slings. If you're interested I can post a pic.

Yeah I tried mine last night too... not a chance that thing was fitting in the attached stuff sack with the Z-liner installed. For now I just need to keep using a compression sack to get it small enough to fit in my pack but I'm worried what the constant compression will do to the ClimaShield in the Z-Liner. I am thinking about trying to make a set of the pocket liners out of down to cut weight and make it more compressible and so that the insulation won't degrade over time like the Z-liner does. Unless of course anyone has sewing skills that would be willing to do it for a modest fee. :) I'm taking applications.

The Tibloc idea is interesting. If you can post pics I think it would help me to envision how its set up.

NickJ
11-12-2009, 14:41
Will do. its 19:41 here and dark so once its not raining (!) i ll sort it out.

cost wise tiblocs are about 25 bucks for you guys. just google "petzl tibloc"

molawns
11-12-2009, 22:24
Plaunius,

What type of line is that you're using? AmSteel? Other? What size is it?

Just curious. Thanks.

For now, I'm using a short section of Clark's stock line. It's what I've got the descender rings attached to, as part of my ring buckle set-up. Straps and Dutch Clips complete the suspension set-up.

I'm looking into getting some smaller diameter line, since I'm not happy with Clark's stock stuff.

Triptease
11-12-2009, 22:42
Plaunius,

Just curious. Thanks.

For now, I'm using a short section of Clark's stock line. It's what I've got the descender rings attached to, as part of my ring buckle set-up. Straps and Dutch Clips complete the suspension set-up.

I'm looking into getting some smaller diameter line, since I'm not happy with Clark's stock stuff.

Whether it is or not, you definitely can't go wrong with Amsteel. I switched over a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked.

NickJ
11-13-2009, 07:28
ok here's a close up. carabiner attached to a tree strap on the left, and the tibloc just slides onto the carabiner at the other end. Hammock is to the right. when force is applied to the hammock (ie me in it), it pulls the dyneema up into the teeth of the tibloc. what also happens is the tibloc is pulled slightly right as the teeth grip, and the steel shank of the 'biner is then forced against the cord, which traps the dyneema against it, and up into the tibloc. it works a bit like a belay.

The are used for emergency stops for climber falls etc, and for ascending instead of using prussics. To adjust it, simply lift the right hand end of it to release the teeth, and push or pull your cord either way to adjust. then just sit down and thats it! This is a bombroof solution. there is no physical way that the cord can slip through the tibloc assuming you use the recommended width of cord (which is anywhere between 8mm and 11mm). If you were feeling a bit paranoid you could put a loop directly above it in the cord, but it's not neccessary. I've used 10mm dyneema here, which is total overkill. I might switch it for 8mm.

http://gallery.me.com/studiomw/100177/tibloc/web.jpg?ver=12581145480001

So clearly the adjustment here is at the tree end. the cord is secured to the hammock with a bowline and a stopper knot. you could do this the other way around if you expect heavy rain during your set up. just thread a carabiner through the hammock end (where the stock rope goes through) and attach the tibloc to the other end of the biner. at the tree end, you could use straps and another biner (bowline in cord obviously) or just a marlin spike hitch. then you can make your adjustment whilst under the tarp.

plaunius
11-13-2009, 07:36
Plaunius,

Just curious. Thanks.

It is 1/8 Vectrus. I'm very new to making my own support and read something about Vectrus 12 and ordered some. A week later I read about Amsteel which is stronger but both will do the job. Vectrus has a tensile strength 2,000 and Amsteel at 2,500lbs. Both are plenty stong. If I buy more line I will most likely buy Amsteel because (in my best Spinal Tap British voice) "Its an Eleven".

ndavisenterprise
11-30-2009, 18:19
Hey guys! I just had my first overnight hang in my NX-250 and I absolutely LOVE IT! I am in S.E. NM it was low 30's all night. Saturday I took off to the High Guads for my first hang and cold test. I have had many nights out here in a tent. Setup went just how i thoughts, fast and easy! That night I hung out and read for a couple of hours about 7-9p, crashed out and woke up around 6a, which is typical, looked outside and it was snowing. I heard the rain lightly dripping on my tarp throughout the night and then sleet, which all froze and let me see how the tarp held up to the extra weight, which was great. I had my pee bottle in my right pocket which came in really handy, set it down and went back to sleep until, amazingly, 9a. I slept on a thermarest air mattress (which slid around after turning a time or two that morning, sucked) then I had two mummy bags both open, one on the bottom and one on top! Those worked great. A tee shirt, long johns, and wool socks. Without the mattress under me I could feel a draft, but with it everything was great. I was warm all night and all morning. 6am it was 28 degrees, 9am it was 30 degrees. I did not want to get up. But I forgot to leave my coffee by me. That is the best nights sleep I have ever had in the wilderness. I never need to stay in a tent again! I am 6'6", 170 pounds and the NX-250 had plenty of room both ways for me. I slept on my back, but mostly on my sides. I guess I need a rubber mat instead of my mattress to prevent slipping like Mak suggested earlier. I did have some sag in the a.m....I don't know if it was my Slap Straps or what....I wished I had another night to play around but I'll have to wait. :( Trying to read more about underquilts, find out which one I need...suggestions??? JRB?? I heard clark is coming out with a UQ soon?!?
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=198&pictureid=1699
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=198&pictureid=1700