PDA

View Full Version : Full under quilt and somewhat but not much CBS

hanginyaker
12-22-2014, 23:52
I have been trying my new Mt Washington 3 UQ and can't seem to get my warm enough to sleep. I believe i have it set up ok everything is warm however my butt stays just cold enough to keep me awake. Just wondering about humidity although its not that cold here somewhere around 10 deg c (50 F) in my garage it is damp on the coast. Anyone think that may be the problem or is it my set up?

BillyBob58
12-23-2014, 00:34
Is it good and snug against your butt and back? These are dif cut, so you don't have to worry too much about too tight within reason. Not tight enough to damage, but pretty snug works for me. I like to reach out and grab both the rt and lt edges at various points and pull up. If I can move it much at all before it stops against my back, then it is not tight enough. Mostly I can't move it at all in the up direction.

Butts can be tricky though, still can't see being cold at 50F! Do you have the water resistant down? If not, just wondering if the humidity could have it damp enough to collapse loft? Does it look pretty well puffed up?

Oh, while I like to make sure the quilt is snug against my back/butt, be careful with the strings on the ends that go left to right. I think you can over tighten those and end up causing a gap or some creases that let cold air in.

OutandBack
12-23-2014, 01:25
You are not using the hennessy tieouts are you? HH tieouts and UQ's don't seem to play well together.
It's very important that the quilt is right up on your bum. The slightest gap will give you a cold spot.
Good Luck.

hanginyaker
12-23-2014, 10:12
I have the water resistant down and the under quilt wasn't outside long enough to collect any moisture inside my garage. I have been using the tie outs up until now because the tabs on the UQ were designed for the HH tie outs. I was going to try it without the tie outs and if it works will have to find a solution for the bug net droop. Thanks for your help guys!

ps Billy what is "rt" i can't seem find the acronym page i know its somewhere but can't find it =-))

hawg777
12-23-2014, 10:40
ps Billy what is "rt" i can't seem find the acronym page i know its somewhere but can't find it =-))

I think he meant right and left edge

BillyBob58
12-23-2014, 10:45
I have the water resistant down and the under quilt wasn't outside long enough to collect any moisture inside my garage. I have been using the tie outs up until now because the tabs on the UQ were designed for the HH tie outs. I was going to try it without the tie outs and if it works will have to find a solution for the bug net droop. Thanks for your help guys!

Oh, sorry: right and left. I grab each quilt edge at the same time at various levels(shoulder, back,butt) and tug upwards. I am expecting virtually no movement at least at most spots, maybe get a miniscule movement in some spots. But as soon as I apply the least force upwards, I will immediately feel the inner shell snug against my back. IOW, it is already in firm contact with my back before I even tug. If it is snug when doing this I don't tighten any more, no need to over stress the shock cord or shells. Now, if the UQ is not a dif cut ( for example when using a PeaPod) I am more careful with this test. I am more shooting for it to just be in good contact with my back. Too tight can flatten the loft too much, though you can get away with a little bit of compression. But it is trickier with out a differential cut, you can tighten it enough to flatten loft, and that will be cold. Should not be much of a worry with the JRB MW series. Nice and snug won't flatten loft enough to cause problems. Or, it never has for me anyway.

BTW, one thing you have to watch for on quilts with a surround/perimeter suspension: accordion effect. That is, no matter how tight the main quilt suspension, the quilt can still move freely along the surround suspension as intended, so you can position it perfectly. Thus, it is also possible for the quilt to shorten or bunch up under you- like squeezing an accordion. Secondary suspension mods are often used to overcome this. Should not be a problem if you don't have a surround suspension, but rather an "end" style suspension, as my MWs have.

Lastly, if a quilt is not positioned correctly under your shoulder- for example the top edge too far from your shoulder/neck intersection and too far towards the head end of the hammock(or too far towards the foot on a short UQ), a big cold gap will develop. This is useful for venting in the summer, and the effect varies among quilts. So make sure your quilt is positioned correctly relative to your shoulders, make sure it is not gaping open on the end. Sorry if that seems too obvious, but you never know. Good luck!

JSH
12-23-2014, 10:58
I remember seeing, perhaps in one of Shug's videos on quilts, that the underquilt ought to be snug enough beneath the hammock to lift it up. I also saw somewhere that there should be contact between the quilt and the hammock over the entire undersurface of the hammock.

For want of a better analogy, the quilt goes on your hammock like a wool sock does. It is snug at the top and bottom but in close contact through the length of the hammock.

When I first started using a quilt after using pads, I set up my underquilt too loosely. I got advice from several folks on the forum about snugness. The advice helped a lot.

hanginyaker
12-23-2014, 21:12
thanks everyone more testing tonight =-))

Firesong
12-23-2014, 22:05
It's a tricky thing. I went the other way and over snugged the suspension (after watching Shugs video lol). Compressed the loft and got cold. That was frustrating. Did that on both the down and synthetic quilts. Now know better

OneClick
12-24-2014, 08:16
I remember seeing, perhaps in one of Shug's videos on quilts, that the underquilt ought to be snug enough beneath the hammock to lift it up.

Yeah, it seems wrong but it isn't. I actually have to gather up my hammock and put IT into the UQ. It all makes sense when you get in.

OutandBack
12-24-2014, 11:13
It's a tricky thing. I went the other way and over snugged the suspension (after watching Shugs video lol). Compressed the loft and got cold. That was frustrating. Did that on both the down and synthetic quilts. Now know better
You must not be using diff cut UQ's.

mr hvac
12-24-2014, 11:29
I have HG 0* incubator UQ. And as long as it is snug on all the edges against the hammock even if the UQ doesn't hit the bottom of the hammock I will stay extremely warm. At temps far below 50*. I don't know how much different the Washington set up is. Sounds like the down is compromised or is over compressed.

hanginyaker
12-26-2014, 02:14
This uq is not working spent 4 days trying to dial it in

Bushwhacker
12-26-2014, 07:41
Try going to a hang to get veteran's advice before you give up.

JSH
12-26-2014, 08:32
You've got Jacks R Better equipment I realize reading your initial thread again. It's good stuff.

Take several pictures from different angles of your set up. End view, side views, how you've hung your hammock,etc. and email to JRB asking if they'd be willing to talk on the phone with you. I'm betting they'll be available for your to call. The pics will serve for talking points.

Finally I've tried to think of an analogy for how an underquilt works as I've come to understand them. Maybe this example will help.

Have you ever worn a loosely fitting top coat in cold weather when the wind is blowing a bit? I've found that I'm warmer with a coat that isn't loose around my toro, rather I'm better with one that is close contact with me but not stretched tight. I also do better when I can snug up the collar around my neck and if the bottom of the coat has a draw string, sort of tightening that up also. When I have these characteristics in place, the coat surrounds me completely and outside wind can't blow in as well as warm air is trapped. Keep experimenting.

BillyBob58
12-27-2014, 10:20

Try going to a hang to get veteran's advice before you give up.

Per JSHs suggestion, have you called JRB? They will talk to you for as long as it takes. Because something is major wrong. I have never had trouble staying warm in a JRB MW- I have a 3 and a 4. I don't even have the water resistant down. The 4 easily kept me warm at 10F. I have never put the 3 to the test of it's limits, but it has been no challenge at the temps you mention, you should be more than toasty.

But you are not, so what's going on that we have not told you about already? I don't know! One caveat for my experience with these UQs: almost all my tests have been on a bridge hammock, and for me those are just so much easier to get set up correctly the 1st time and every time. Still, I did use my MW4 on a very windy 18F night on a WBBB non-bridge and was toasty. I had to fiddle with it more to get it right, mainly to get it to stay over the foot end, but once that was done no problems.

You are sure you don't have it upside down (or is that inside out?), right? If you snug up a dif cut UQ when the inner layer is on the outside, it will flatten right out and be cold.

That said, it is almost certainly a draft issue of some kind. This is what is trickier with dif cut UQs on non-bridge hammocks. You can have it nice and snug against your back but it can still be gaping down on the ends. So you need to tighten the ends up just enough to close that gap when you are in the hammock. But if you tighten too much, you will create ridges and channels, and cold air will rush in.

Do you have it just tight enough to be snug against your back and butt?

Can you have someone about your size lay in the hammock while you adjust it correctly? It's hard to see what is going on if you are inside the hammock. But from the outside, you can adjust starting with the end strings wide open, tighten the main suspension for good solid contact with the back and butt, then close the end strings just enough to seal off the gap but not more than that.

Send us some pictures of what you are doing, to help us figure out what you are doing wrong. I know you must be getting pretty sick of this by now.

Or, get a bridge hammock! LOL, just kidding, but I don't know if I have ever read a thread with someone complaining of being cold with JRB UQ on a bridge hammock. But things just seem way trickier on non bridge and diagonal position. Same with PeaPods, there are no draft issues with those things cinched tight on the ends and Velcro closed on the top and adjusted so that it just touches your back, or left loose and gaps filled as needed with clothing. Drafts are the real trouble makers with UQs.