PDA

View Full Version : >Canada>Ont>EGL Winter Back Country 2014-2015

Chard
12-26-2014, 14:01
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_7484-002.jpg

EGL Winter Backcountry 2014-2015 Planning

Where: Options are Kawartha Highlands PP, Silent Lake PP, Algonquin PP or Crown land somewhere north of Simcoe. Hike in for an hour or so and set up camp preferably by a lake.

When: Choice of either Feb 20-22 or Feb 27- Mar 1

Everyone's welcome.

Iguana
12-26-2014, 15:10
I am in, both of the suggested dates are good for me.

Chard, I remember that campfire like it was yesterday.

Chard
12-26-2014, 15:14
Yeah, me too.

Depending on our numbers, it might be a good spot to return to. This time I'll bring my ice-fishing gear.

Bubba
12-26-2014, 15:29
I had to cancel last minute last year so I'm looking forward to it. Will have to book a vacation day at work.

quiet
12-26-2014, 20:01
I'm in if it's the 20th. Can't make the 27th. KHPP would be my choice. Never been there and it's closer for any of the Ottawa/Quebec hangers who might want to come.

ggreaves
12-26-2014, 21:27
I can make the 20th weekend. But not the 27th. My vote is for khpp again as well. I really enjoyed it out there

Chard
12-26-2014, 23:12
Looks like we're leaning towards the Feb 20th-22nd at Kawartha Highlands PP. Nice thing is that we can likely follow well established snowmobile trails across the lakes or up and around through the forest. Scenery and the walk is nice either way, but there's a lot to be said for the ease of travelling over lakes.

Lofty
12-27-2014, 08:19
I'm possible for the 20th but not the 27th
I'm good for whatever location :)
I've marked my calendar - hopefully work doesn't prevent me from attending
Cheers !

rofo
12-27-2014, 14:44
I think I'll be in just need to talk it over with Ms. rofo. I can do some scouting if required. Better get some cold weather in the next couple of weeks to freeze things up or it will be a land locked trip. I did a fall fat bike trip/camp where we went in last year, did lots of exploring on the ATV rails.

Bubba
12-27-2014, 17:02
I think the 20th is good for me. Kawartha sounds good to me as well.

ggreaves
12-27-2014, 17:12
I remember when we booked the park over the phone last year, they asked what colour our canoe was. That question just might make sense this season.

Jayson
12-27-2014, 21:58
Have fun guys. Probably not gonna happen for me. Hitting Algonquin the last weekend of January for 4 days with an old friend. New job a couple months ago so dont want to use to many vacation days to soon.

Cedar328
01-06-2015, 19:31
Hi all,

Couldn't make the link to this thread work? figured out how to get here through Chard's posts on his profile. As with some of the others above I am good to go for the 20th but probably can't make it work for the following weekend. Destination is not important to me just looking forward to the hang. It has been too long since I have been out with this group, really looking forward to it!

Cheers

Cedar

Jayson
01-07-2015, 14:29
I have a question regarding Kawartha Highlands Signature Site. Are you allowed to ice fish? I was just reading last years trip report and Chard mentions bringing his gear if he ever returns to that area.
I spoke with my buddy and if Ice fishing was on the menu we would likely rethink our plans and join you guys in February.

ggreaves
01-07-2015, 14:56
For sucker lake where we camped last year....

Sucker Lake - Anstruther Twp. Only one line may be used when angling
through the ice.
Lake trout - none between 40-55 cm
(15.7-21.7 in.)

For bottle lake, where we walked in...
Bottle Lake - Cavendish Twp. Fish sanctuary - no fishing from
Jan. 1 - Fri. before 3rd Sat. in May &
Dec. 1 - Dec. 31.

So, it looks like you'd be ok on Sucker. I checked Anstruther lake too and it's also a fish sanctuary during the winter.

You can check the lakes you're interested in here...

https://dr6j45jk9xcmk.cloudfront.net/documents/3955/2015-english-fishing-regulations-summary-complete.pdf

Chard
01-07-2015, 15:08
What Ggreaves said.

The two chaps camped out on the ice had mentioned that the fishing had been slow, but slow is better than sitting at home any day. Depending on conditions, I'll likely be bringing my sonar and just roam the lake a bit and/or set a tip up close by to watch from camp.

jscudds
01-08-2015, 18:12
I'm going to try an make it.

Jayson
01-09-2015, 02:04
So have talked to my buddy, and changed my vacation time at work. We will be attending. I can bring my BIG kettle and tripod if it is needed. Also have an extra tarp and a 0* underquilt i can bring.

Jayson
01-16-2015, 02:26
Just to be clear, this is gonna happen on the February 20th weekend right? Not sure i can change my vacation time again. We are good with anywhere. We will be arriving Friday and staying till Monday.

Lofty
01-16-2015, 06:46
I also booked off the weekend of the 20th
So I'm definitely in :)

As mentioned I can bring my hot tent as a warming area. it's not huge but at 10x10 we can fit a few chairs around the stove.

Chard
01-16-2015, 08:11
Glad you guys are all so eager. If Valens was any indication, we're in for a great time.

Feb 20 - 22. Kawartha Highlands PP.

quiet
01-17-2015, 19:13
I think I'll be in just need to talk it over with Ms. rofo. I can do some scouting if required. Better get some cold weather in the next couple of weeks to freeze things up or it will be a land locked trip. I did a fall fat bike trip/camp where we went in last year, did lots of exploring on the ATV rails.

Anyone know what the ice conditions are on the lakes now? I want to know if I should pack my canoe...

LuvmyBonnet
01-18-2015, 11:58
I'd love to do it but not sure I'd be able to do the hour hike. Don't know what the capability of my foot will be. Plus I don't have any type of sled or transport or know how to use one. Like to try some day. I know I'll be itching to show off the new SmokeHouse II and stove. Sure you guys don't want to go back to The Valens!?! It is WIFI free....:lol:

jscudds
01-18-2015, 13:12
If i can make it you could borrow my gear sled.

keg
01-20-2015, 13:29
I'm keeping an eye on this for Saturday if the site is findable. No chance of making Friday.

And depending on how messed up my doctor says my knee is.

Jayson
01-22-2015, 21:08
Keg, I am more than happy to wonder back out to the cars on Saturday to meet up with you. I also have an extra Paris expedition sled and 0* 3/4 length UQ if needed.

Chard
01-23-2015, 11:06
I'd love to do it but not sure I'd be able to do the hour hike. Don't know what the capability of my foot will be. Plus I don't have any type of sled or transport or know how to use one. Like to try some day. I know I'll be itching to show off the new SmokeHouse II and stove.

The walk in will hopefully be across frozen lakes, following snowmobile tracks. I'll see what we can do about getting some information about current conditions closer to the hang. Worst comes to worst you pack light and haul your sled behind you like you're at your neighbourhood park with the kids. I have no problem hauling an extra bundle or two. Sometimes having a snowmobile would be really handy.

I'm keeping an eye on this for Saturday if the site is findable. No chance of making Friday. And depending on how messed up my doctor says my knee is.

Trying to spot us if we're tucked away in the trees can be a bit of a challenge. We had a dickens of a time finding Highboy last year, even though we were following a random trail that turned out to be the right one. I'll try to string an EGL or Canadian flag from the trees in our area. We can send out a map with key spots we're likely to be at (so far 3 for sure, 2 on the north shore, 1 on the south). Bring a small pair of binoculars if you have them to make it easier. If you're sure of the time you're arriving, a rendevous could be arranged as jayson mentioned above.

LuvmyBonnet
01-23-2015, 13:48
I'm keeping an eye on this for Saturday if the site is findable. No chance of making Friday.

And depending on how messed up my doctor says my knee is.

Hope your knee turns out OK Keg! I just went in today for a epidural steroidal injection. Feels pretty funky so far.
I'm always trying to stay hoprful. I'll keep you folks updated on my condition. Hey if I'm not quite ready could one of you young strong gentleman just put me in a polk pull to the site, set up my rig and put me in my hammock?!?! :lol: I'll cook Pot Roast again. ha ha

ggreaves
01-23-2015, 13:53
I think if we keep an eye out on the snowmobile trails in the area, (especially kawartha lakes), we'll know when the ice is ok.

http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer/

Chard
01-23-2015, 14:02
Hope your knee turns out OK Keg! I just went in today for a epidural steroidal injection. Feels pretty funky so far.
I'm always trying to stay hoprful. I'll keep you folks updated on my condition. Hey if I'm not quite ready could one of you young strong gentleman just put me in a polk pull to the site, set up my rig and put me in my hammock?!?! :lol: I'll cook Pot Roast again. ha ha

Granted we can haul you in like cordwood tied to a pulk, but if the weather turns really cold, I'm sorry, but you'll just have to go on the fire.

Maybe we can find you one of these and then we'll see who's hauling whom.

http://gajitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/off-road-wheelchair.jpg

Chard
01-23-2015, 20:54
Preliminary/Optimistic Role Call (15)

Chard (Forest-Hobo)
Iguana
Bubba
Quiet
Ggreaves
Lofty
Rofo
Jayson
Mark
Cedar
Jscudds
Lovemybonnet
Keg
Awesumcdn
Highboy

awesumcdn
01-24-2015, 08:27
MY UQ/TQ set is being made this weekend :D I am not sure if I can make this event 100% yet, but it wont be for a lack of a sleep system. Is there anyone from the Brantford area or that will be coming through this way that wouldn't mind carpooling. I don't drive, but have cash for fuel, coffee and possibly a small bottle of liquid warmth for you on our arrival at the park as a thanks for driving gift :) I am also able to get to downtown Hamilton and Toronto via Greyhound If there is no one from my area going. Thanks :)

keg
01-24-2015, 15:39
Hope your knee turns out OK Keg! ...

I had x-rays and ultrasound last week so should hear what my doc says soon. It's the price I pay for trying to play basketball with kids half my age.

Jayson
01-24-2015, 17:44
My buddy Mark is coming as well.

ggreaves
01-24-2015, 18:34
MY UQ/TQ set is being made this weekend :D I am not sure if I can make this event 100% yet, but it wont be for a lack of a sleep system. Is there anyone from the Brantford area or that will be coming through this way that wouldn't mind carpooling. I don't drive, but have cash for fuel, coffee and possibly a small bottle of liquid warmth for you on our arrival at the park as a thanks for driving gift :) I am also able to get to downtown Hamilton and Toronto via Greyhound If there is no one from my area going. Thanks :)

I'm coming from the east but if you could get to Port Hope I could get you at the train / bus station before heading north. There might be some others more convenient to you though.

76 highboy
01-24-2015, 20:06
Preliminary/Optimistic Role Call (14)

Chard (Forest-Hobo)
Iguana
Bubba
Quiet
Ggreaves
Lofty
Rofo
Jayson
Mark
Cedar
Jscudds
Lovemybonnet
Keg
Awesumcdn

Aww man, I didn't make the cut! Darn. :(
Kidding. That's quite a crowd,I think were gonna need a bigger park:laugh:

Chard
01-24-2015, 20:15

Sorry brother,

I knew you were interested, but I didn't see any posts. I didn't want to make any assumptions. That wouldn't be cool. The list has been magically updated!

Bubba
01-24-2015, 20:20

You're on the outs because you got too ffriendly with a certain WiFi opposer.

Cedar328
01-24-2015, 21:12
Really looking forward to this! I have 1 or 2 friends (first EGL hang but both have been out before) waiting in the wings, hammocks in hand to add to this already formidable group. Two fires and a tally of common gear might be in order lol :)

76 highboy
01-24-2015, 21:38
You're on the outs because you got too ffriendly with a certain WiFi opposer.

Friendly? More like I was abandoned and I was left to fend for myself.:scared: I was lucky to come home from the hang unscathed and not scarred for life or psychologically damaged. Now more than ever do I seek the comfort of the wi-fi free backwoods. Hopefully KHPP is such a place.:)

Chard
01-24-2015, 22:57
Now more than ever do I seek the comfort of the wi-fi free backwoods. Hopefully KHPP is such a place.:)

You have to drive to a high hill and hold your phone into the air to get cellphone reception; just what the doctor ordered.

As far as group gear I'm bringing: two 4m2 tarps, axe, saw, ice-auger, etc, the usual stuff, an extra toboggan and if it gets really cold, I just picked up a 5-man arctic military tent (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzgzWDUxMA==/z/BwgAAOSwa39Uv-bU/$_20.JPG)and stove that could probably fit most if not all of us all for just sitting around. Only problem is that it's about 20" x 30" all rolled up and weighs 20lbs. Hope to have a nylon woodstove tarp built by then.

Extra tarps/ropes, saws, axes and lanterns would all be helpful.

With a group of 16+, the best area to camp might be the one on the southern shore where the trail comes out. Rofo suggested it last year and when we checked it out, it was level and had plenty of trees to hang from.

We should have an ice fishing derby!!!

Lofty
01-25-2015, 09:53
Ill bring my hot tent as well - only room for 5/6 but it's somewhere to warmup if someone gets a chill.

I doubt there will be a shortage of axes / saws - I know I'll have a saw and an axe or 2 :)
I bring an extra poly tarp and some rope for windbreak

I do have a 25' parachute- we can set up something like they do at frozen butt hang - only thing - mine is rainbow.

There's a chance I can bring Liam as well
If that happens there will be no shortage of heat from the raging inferno of a fire :)

All seriousness I told Liam and he said he would like to come - but if something comes up for him ( like going paintballing with his friends) I know he will go for that over camping
I'll just leave it up to him

LuvmyBonnet
01-25-2015, 11:03
Lots of questions in my head. If I'm physically able to make it I think I would need to meet up with someone. I can't see me making the border crossing and then a 4+ hr drive to wonder around not knowing where I'm going.
I also need to look into getting a polk/sled that fits in the car ok.
I did a little youtubing about polks. Do I need one of those crossover pvc harnesses for this area or will a rope pull do ok? I still need to watch so more on packing them.
Any advise, sites, brands or any other suggestions on polks always appreciated.
Do people haul in wood or do you gather on site? I'd probably have my Smokehouse by then so I would be planning on burning quiet a bit.
Kni-co Alaskan Jr arrive tomorrow!

Chard
01-25-2015, 12:06
Nice Lofty, it'll be good to have the shelter options and hopefully Liam can make it out. Our fire just didn't burn bright enough last time.

Lots of questions in my head. If I'm physically able to make it I think I would need to meet up with someone. I can't see me making the border crossing and then a 4+ hr drive to wonder around not knowing where I'm going.
I also need to look into getting a polk/sled that fits in the car ok.
I did a little youtubing about polks. Do I need one of those crossover pvc harnesses for this area or will a rope pull do ok? I still need to watch so more on packing them.
Any advise, sites, brands or any other suggestions on polks always appreciated.
Do people haul in wood or do you gather on site? I'd probably have my Smokehouse by then so I would be planning on burning quiet a bit.
Kni-co Alaskan Jr arrive tomorrow!

Fair questions. Easiest first: Wood's gathered on site. Pulks; some use them and for true backcountry winter travel they're amazing, but most of us have been managing pretty well with a standard toboggan (plastic or wood) and just a length of rope. I didn't really do anything different to the old wood toboggan I use on my local hills with the kids besides adding a longer rope and waxing it up. (Truth be told, I was thinking of adding a crossover PVC just for the fun of it, not that I need it.) If the conditions permit, we'll be on the lakes where pulling's easy. If not then we'll be going over a rolling snowmobile trail, hopefully in boots. Poles would be helpful, especially if you need more control because of your injury, but we've managed without. Other than that, ideally the load should have as low a centre of gravity as possible to minimizes flip-overs. The big advantage of a pulk is that they're really long and you can string out your gear nicely, they're narrow so they push less snow, and they're flexible so they snake over obstacles. Between a dozen plus guys, if you need to spread out your load a bit to accommodate your foot, it shouldn't be a problem. All for one and one for all!

Driving's another thing. We've already got questions about carpooling and hopefully we can work something out. Normally on our EGL trips we like to meet up at a obvious landmark (eg. a Tim Hortons in a major town on route), grab a bite to eat and drive in as a group. The road to Catchacoma is pretty challenging, but it seems to be plowed very quickly after a storm. Cellphones really help when we're trying to meet up. We can PM numbers as required.

Hope this helps.

The Old Boot
01-25-2015, 16:19
The road to Catchacoma is pretty challenging, but it seems to be plowed very quickly after a storm.

I've driven the road to Catchacoma for the past, umm, choke, gag, 50 years and if you think it's 'challenging' now, you should have seen it until about 20 years ago when they made it wide enough to pass and painted a center line....roflmao. Oh, and they made it into a no fun road when they took out all the blind corners and a lot of the oh my god, I've left the pavement hills. It used to be used as a car and bike rally road and it was well suited to it.

Seriously, y'all have fun out there in the snow...I'll see you in the spring when the ground is NOT white!!

rofo
01-25-2015, 16:55
I was riding my fat bike on Rice Lake yesterday and there is over 35 cm of ice on it.
I am upgrading my 1950's toboggan to one of these (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pelican-mega-snow-glider-sled-0825220p.html#.VMViXP54rYg) from canadian tire for 11$. I am going to reinforce the gunwales with some wood.
I live near Peterborough which is about 50 mins away from the trailhead. If people meet here you can follow me up or ride up with me, I have a mini van. I can always hook up my utility trailer to put gear in if the van gets too full. Let me know in advance so I can get the numbers and dig out the trailer.

Chard
01-25-2015, 17:18
I live near Peterborough which is about 50 mins away from the trailhead. If people meet here you can follow me up or ride up with me, I have a mini van. I can always hook up my utility trailer to put gear in if the van gets too full. Let me know in advance so I can get the numbers and dig out the trailer.

Good news. I figured the ice would be pretty good with all of the cold we've been getting. Although Rice is a big lake, the lack of snow on the ice is encouraging, reminds me that I need to go get some slip-on ice gripper thingies.

And that's a nice offer about meeting at your place, the van, the trailer. I have a feeling we just might be taking you up on that offer. I'm not even sure the parking area could handle a dozen+ vehicles.

Jayson
01-25-2015, 19:54
Bonnet I have an extra sled already to go. Just let me know a few days ahead and i will bring it. It is a Paris Expedition from homehardware,

ggreaves
01-26-2015, 16:36
I do have a 25' parachute- we can set up something like they do at frozen butt hang - only thing - mine is rainbow.

EGL Pride Hang

rofo
01-26-2015, 20:21
EGL Pride Hang

theme song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcC-SbcihKI

LuvmyBonnet
01-27-2015, 13:20
Thanks for the offer Jayson. I'll keep you posted. I may buy one of those Emsco type sled and make my own. I think I have all the parts minus the sled. I'd like to make one and take it over to my local park, load it up and drag it around for a while and see how it feels.

If I do make it will it be easy to follow your paths? I'd probably be moving at half your speed and I don't want the group to slow down for me and I don't want to speed up for the group. Slow and steady.... Mr Turtle

Chard
01-28-2015, 20:49
Hey Bonnet,

We're likely to go at different speeds so I doubt you'll have to walk alone. Besides, safety considerations aside, if the lake is windblown ice and we're following hardpacked snowmobile trails like I hope we'll be able to, then following us will be like tracking a gecko in a sandstorm. Ggreaves and I were "tracking" Highboy last year and even though we knew generally where he was and had a random tracks through deep snow leading to his site, we weren't sure we were on the right trail until we practically stumbled on the campsite. We were shouting for him, but sleeping beauty didn't hear us.:lol: This time I'll throw up one of my black Hammock Forums flags or a Canadian flag on a pole just off shore.

Just remember that it looks like we have well over a dozen strapping lads heading out into the bush. I'm sure we could relieve you of at least a portion of your burden. I'll happily volunteer to carry any extra scotch you might feel is weighing you down.

LuvmyBonnet
01-30-2015, 07:50
Note to self: Sherpas can be bought off with Scotch. Check.

Lofty
01-30-2015, 10:17
Dark rum works as well :)

LuvmyBonnet
01-30-2015, 16:40
Dark rum works as well :)

MMMMMMM. Capt. Morgan's Private Stock.

ps- I just found out my phone can be used as a WIFI hotspot. :scared:

LuvmyBonnet
01-31-2015, 12:49
Polk Time!

Chard
01-31-2015, 22:52
Polk Time!

Looks like you're ready to do some homesteading there Tex! :laugh:

Just a note, wood's available on site and the season on squirrels and rabbits ain't open until the fall!:scared:

quiet
02-01-2015, 16:13
the season on squirrels and rabbits ain't open until the fall!:scared:

Unless they chew your toboggan lines...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-y60gDkeg1gQ/T0Vv_HneVRI/AAAAAAAAAXM/2-qpshwPE7A/s640/Wabbit2.jpg

Cedar328
02-02-2015, 00:15
Hey Gang,

I had mentioned earlier that I may have a couple new guests... I can confirm that bielzabob and circlehasnoend, who are both new to hammock forums and EGL, will be join us for the weekend.

Looking forward to this.

Cheers

Cedar.

jimmay
02-02-2015, 02:38
I'm interested guys. I will be bringing my 10x10 hot tent. I love my hammock, in the summer, and think you guys are nuts. ;-)

Chard
02-02-2015, 07:31
Unless they chew your toboggan lines...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-y60gDkeg1gQ/T0Vv_HneVRI/AAAAAAAAAXM/2-qpshwPE7A/s640/Wabbit2.jpg

Touche!

biggy
02-03-2015, 15:25
So which lake are you planning to camp at? I've seen bottle and sucker mentioned.

circlehasnoend
02-03-2015, 22:21
Good evening,

I am new to winter camping and this site. I was invited to the hang this month by Cedar and look forward to meeting some of the members.

Jeff

Chard
02-03-2015, 22:49
I'm interested guys. I will be bringing my 10x10 hot tent. I love my hammock, in the summer, and think you guys are nuts. ;-)

No, not nuts; at least that what all the voices tell me. I assume you're planning on going to ground?

So which lake are you planning to camp at? I've seen bottle and sucker mentioned.

So far, we're planning on hitting Sucker Lake. The north shore sites we saw were nice but might be too small for a group our size. Rofo's campsite next to the lake access path on the south shore might be a better choice.

Good evening,

I am new to winter camping and this site. I was invited to the hang this month by Cedar and look forward to meeting some of the members.

Jeff

Welcome aboard InfiniteLoop (couldn't resist), looking forward to meeting you and Bielzabob.

biggy
02-03-2015, 23:00
No, not nuts; at least that what all the voices tell me. I assume you're planning on going to ground?

So far, we're planning on hitting Sucker Lake. The north shore sites we saw were nice but might be too small for a group our size. Rofo's campsite next to the lake access path on the south shore might be a better choice.

Welcome aboard InfiniteLoop (couldn't resist), looking forward to meeting you and Bielzabob.

I've camped on both lakes a few times in warm temps. Would you get to sucker via bottle lake? I know their also is a trail that you can take all the way to sucker lake starting from the parking area. The parking area is very limited from what I remember and with a large group it may be a problem. I'm thinking about going if I can swing it.

Chard
02-03-2015, 23:13
Hey Biggy,

We've got two options, following the inland snowmobile trail up and over the hills and popping out on Sucker's south shore right next to the prospective campsite or crossing Bottle Lake to the portage that joins up with Sucker and then hoofing it down to the south shore. If conditions on both are hardpacked snowmobile trails like last year, then the lake option is longer but much easier and would be my choice. Parking might be a bit of an issue but if I recall there should be enough room at the bend in the road. Carpooling where possible would definitely help the problem.

biggy
02-03-2015, 23:20
Hey Biggy,

We've got two options, following the inland snowmobile trail up and over the hills and popping out on Sucker's south shore right next to the prospective campsite or crossing Bottle Lake to the portage that joins up with Sucker and then hoofing it down to the south shore. If conditions on both are hardpacked snowmobile trails like last year, then the lake option is longer but much easier and would be my choice. Parking might be a bit of an issue but if I recall there should be enough room at the bend in the road. Carpooling where possible would definitely help the problem.

Sounds like a good plan.

Bubba
02-04-2015, 10:48
With the amount of people going as well as the plethora of hot tents I'm wondering if we're going to clear out all the available wood in that area! :D

Chard
02-04-2015, 13:00
With 19 people thinking about coming out so far, I'm sure we won't have too much trouble collecting enough firewood. With a couple of extra tarps and a parachute, we should be able to rig up something suitable.

Just a reminder that I'll be bringing my ice auger for access to lakewater.

Role call (Feb 4)

Chard (Forest-Hobo)
Iguana
Bubba
Quiet
Ggreaves
Lofty
Master Liam
Rofo
Jayson
Mark
Cedar
Jscudds
Lovemybonnet
Keg
Awesumcdn
Highboy
Bielzabob
Circlehasnoend
Jimmay

bielzabob
02-04-2015, 13:50
Hey everyone..
Just a hello. I am also new to this forum. I am friends with cedar and circlehasnoend. Looking forward to the trip and to meeting everyone.

Bielzabob

LuvmyBonnet
02-04-2015, 19:23
Hey all! Not giving up yet but I did a test run with my polk at the park and it didn't go well! I only got about a 1/2 mile before my heal felt like it was on fire. I had to sit in the snow for a while before slinking back to the car. :(
Nerve pain sux. I'm going to see about getting the dosage on my meds increased.
I haven't received my Smokehouse hammock shelter yet but if I do and can't make this trip it will KILL me!

Chard
02-04-2015, 19:40
Hey all! Not giving up yet but I did a test run with my polk at the park and it didn't go well! I only got about a 1/2 mile before my heal felt like it was on fire. I had to sit in the snow for a while before slinking back to the car. :(
Nerve pain sux. I'm going to see about getting the dosage on my meds increased.
I haven't received my Smokehouse hammock shelter yet but if I do and can't make this trip it will KILL me!

That's not sounding very good. Was the pain the result of walking or pulling? Obviously the last thing we want is for anyone to get injured or make matters worse on one of these hangs. Fingers crossed that you heal up in time.

I guess no one coming has a snowmobile that they want to bring that Bonnet could get a ride on.

Lofty
02-05-2015, 00:23
Chard - just to add to roll call - looks like Liam wants to make it out with me

Just over 2 weeks away !!!

Just did s scout camp over the weekend -16°c. Still didn't beat out low ....

Yep getting excited about another night out in winter !

ggreaves
02-05-2015, 17:54
To paraphrase Chief Brody... "We're gonna need a bigger park"

Mark1065
02-06-2015, 12:01
Add me to the list also, I'll bring an extra ice auger but sorry, no trailer full of wood

Mark

biggy
02-06-2015, 13:50
I can't make it now. Have fun.

fred1diver
02-06-2015, 18:45
I might be able to make it this year

LuvmyBonnet
02-06-2015, 18:58
That's not sounding very good. Was the pain the result of walking or pulling?
Just walking. I don't think pulling was any issue. Nerve damage in my foot. Trying some new meds next week.
How many kilometer are we talking about?

ggreaves
02-07-2015, 09:25
if we are on the south shore and take the snowmobile trail, probably 2.5 (with a few hills). over the lake and up one portage it's probably more like 5. If we're on the north shore, it's about 4 km either way.

Bubba
02-07-2015, 10:17
I'll take 5 km of snowmobile trail over 2 km of unbroken trail any day.

ggreaves
02-07-2015, 11:37
For all you hot tent guys, here's an idea for your wood stove in the off season...

Hot tub tug boat

Jayson
02-07-2015, 12:50
I am with Bubba on the breaking trail. Since i left chickens i am not in as good of shape!

Chard
02-07-2015, 13:57
I am with Bubba on the breaking trail. Since i left chickens i am not in as good of shape!

+1

rofo
02-07-2015, 20:36
hills? slight up grades, we have been getting some nice snow all day supposed to get another 15 cm tonight. Going shoeing with some friends in the morning we'll see what we have then. Might I suggest sight 125 it is a flat site with lots of trees (we walked by it last year to get to the other side of the lake). There isn't as much snow this year so the thunder box might the usable with a little snow removal.

Chard
02-08-2015, 00:03
hills? slight up grades, we have been getting some nice snow all day supposed to get another 15 cm tonight. Going shoeing with some friends in the morning we'll see what we have then. Might I suggest sight 125 it is a flat site with lots of trees (we walked by it last year to get to the other side of the lake). There isn't as much snow this year so the thunder box might the usable with a little snow removal.

Have fun snowshoeing. Yeah, 125 was the site I was mentioning earlier. Should be just about right.

Chard
02-10-2015, 23:54
Any suggestions for a rendevous point Friday morning?

Maybe the Tim Hortons by Trent University at 1527 Water St. North, Peterborough, ON?

Say 8am?

Jayson
02-11-2015, 00:50
Location sounds good for a meet up but not sure we will make it by 8am. Google says 3 1/2 hrs from my house. Might have to just find you all in the bush.

I am starting to get gear organised and wondered if i should bring my BIG kettle for group water.

Iguana
02-11-2015, 11:10
Any suggestions for a rendevous point Friday morning?

Maybe the Tim Hortons by Trent University at 1527 Water St. North, Peterborough, ON?

Say 8am?

I am good with that time and location.

On another note, Chard do you remember if there was a parking area in front of the notice board at the top of the hill I made the bobsled run down?

Chard
02-11-2015, 11:24
On another note, Chard do you remember if there was a parking area in front of the notice board at the top of the hill I made the bobsled run down?

Ahh the old bobsled hill!!!

I think there might have been enough room for a couple of cars. Seems to me that there was a bit of an open space. Probably be a question of whether it was plowed or not.

keg
02-13-2015, 19:07
Unless someone wants to make an extra trip pulling me in a pulk I'm going to have to back out. Tried my snowshoes in a nearby park last weekend and it took less than 5 minutes to realize my knee is a no-go.

Hopefully everything will be put back together by hiking and paddling season.

Chard
02-13-2015, 22:15
Unless someone wants to make an extra trip pulling me in a pulk I'm going to have to back out. Tried my snowshoes in a nearby park last weekend and it took less than 5 minutes to realize my knee is a no-go.

Hopefully everything will be put back together by hiking and paddling season.

That's too bad Keg. Definitely no point overdoing it, especially since the opening of trout season's only a little over two months away!!!:scared:

Heal up and we'll loko forward to seeing you in the spring, if not before.

I'm still assuming that no one has a snowmobile that we could make use of...

Group gear call out...

I have a 2 big tarps, extra ropes, auger, axe, saw, big pot, medium grill, and an extra 4' aluminum toboggan.

Jayson
02-14-2015, 01:34
Were/are you serious about a snowmobile? I can make inquiries tomorow if you are...wont have trail permit tho.

Group gear...i will bring my big kettle and tripod.

Chard
02-14-2015, 03:52
Were/are you serious about a snowmobile? I can make inquiries tomorow if you are...wont have trail permit tho.

I was just throwing it out there. Not critical, I was just wondering if any of the group were snowmobilers.

rofo
02-14-2015, 07:19
I just checked the weather -25 Friday night.

Bubba
02-14-2015, 07:38
Long range forecast is milder in the negative teens.

rofo
02-14-2015, 07:49

You won't need a trail permit as you will not be on any ofsc trails. It is only about 3 km to the camp site.

ps22285
02-14-2015, 12:00
This hang sounds awesome only 2 hrs from my house. Ive summer camped that area .Cant get away on the 20th tho.

Jayson
02-15-2015, 14:20
So I made some inquiries and it is a no go on a snowmobile, looks like we are pulling boys.

Just wondering if it would be possible to meet at the Tim Hortons at 9 am instead of at 8?

ggreaves
02-15-2015, 17:18
Jimmay and I are coming in Saturday morning. We might be bringing another guy along too.

Lofty
02-15-2015, 18:50
I'm coming in Saturday morning as well

rofo
02-15-2015, 19:07
So I made some inquiries and it is a no go on a snowmobile, looks like we are pulling boys.

Just wondering if it would be possible to meet at the Tim Hortons at 9 am instead of at 8?

I live 15 min away from that Tim's can we make it 10 am? (I am thinking of the folks who have to drive a lot lot further.) > 1 hr to parking lot = 11 > 1 hr to walk in = 12 > 1 to 2 hr set up/lunch = 13:00 - 14:00 > gather firewood = 15:00 - 16:00 > supper 17:00 to 18:00 > 18:00 to 07:00 freeze your *** off at -24 = priceless adventure.

Chard
02-16-2015, 13:07
I live 15 min away from that Tim's can we make it 10 am? (I am thinking of the folks who have to drive a lot lot further.) > 1 hr to parking lot = 11 > 1 hr to walk in = 12 > 1 to 2 hr set up/lunch = 13:00 - 14:00 > gather firewood = 15:00 - 16:00 > supper 17:00 to 18:00 > 18:00 to 07:00 freeze your *** off at -24 = priceless adventure.

I don't know about eveyone else, but 10am's fine with me. Be nice not to have to get on the road too early. It's still a work day for most, so those coming through Toronto might get into some morning traffic.

Cedar328
02-16-2015, 20:56
Hi all,

Timing's not too much of a concern for us northerners :) ... I don't think we will be coming down to Peterborough before hand though. So a couple of questions... Not being too familiar with Kawartha, where are we meeting/parking for the trail? and closer to the day can we get an estimated time of arrival at said trail head? My cell is 705-627-5443 and I will be in touch on Friday morning so we can arrive at the same time as the gang heading north.

I have a tri-pod / grill that I can bring if required and already have packed an axe and a decent first aid kit.

Cheers

Cedar

Lofty
02-17-2015, 09:30
Just wondering
Is anyone staying Sunday night ?
I'm coming Saturday - Sunday but am off Monday -
Also perhaps those coming Saturday can pick a place / time to meet

I'm coming from the north
so I'm best at the parking/trailhead

Also - I'm coming through Barrie / Orillia so if anyone wants a carpool let me know

rofo
02-17-2015, 09:44
Take the 507 to Beaver Lake Road follow it to the parking lot. The hike in is from there.

ggreaves
02-17-2015, 10:25
Rofo, is the over land route packed down by snowmobiles?

The first parking lot you get to is for the overland route. When you get to the parking lot, you actually need to head up the road a little further to a sign board that has car permits in it. Bring a pen. Fill it out with your permit number (you'll have to phone ontario parks this week to get one) and stick it on your dash before going to the parking lot. I think you can park in the lot by the sign board if you're going in over bottle lake to sucker lake route.

Don't leave getting your permit until you get to the sign board. Cell service is sketchy out there. Get it this week. Read Chard's trip report from last year for more details on the permit thing and where to park.

Iguana
02-17-2015, 13:37
I don't know about eveyone else, but 10am's fine with me. Be nice not to have to get on the road too early. It's still a work day for most, so those coming through Toronto might get into some morning traffic.

10am is fine with me.

rofo
02-17-2015, 14:16
Rofo, is the over land route packed down by snowmobiles?

I haven't been up this year, but I would assume so. That is the way in to get to the private land in the northern part of the park.

LuvmyBonnet
02-17-2015, 18:41
:crying Unfortunately it looks like I'm out. I'm getting so friggin close too. I am making some good progress with the health. I figure another 2-4 weeks and I think I'd be able to do it.
My Smokehouse should be arriving any day now also. That's going to be torture! Oh well, I'm going to start shoveling out a space in the back yard so I'll be ready.

Have Fun boys!!!!

WalkintheWoods
02-17-2015, 20:36
Hi, I am Jayson's friend Mark. This will be my first winter hang and I look forward to meeting you all and enjoying the weekend. I just got back from ice fishing on the South Bay of Nippissing for the the last three days and can't wait to get back out into Winter.

Cheers,

Lofty
02-18-2015, 16:00
So just curious about booking our permits
They can be booked online however I'm just worried if I book myself for sucker Lake site 125.
Will that reserve the site for me so no one else can book?

ggreaves
02-18-2015, 16:08
just book any site on sucker lake. We can camp where we want as long as we're at least 30m from a real campsite and the shore. Nobody will be enforcing which people should be on which sites because nobody should be on a site.

Bubba
02-19-2015, 08:37
So are we going over land or over lake? 10:00 am at Tim's for those coming from the South? 11:00 at the trailhead for everyone?

Chard
02-19-2015, 09:40
Hi Gang,

Just wanted to make the reservation but Ontario paks insisted on proper first names/last names for all registered (apparently they weren't amused by the Chards, Iguanas, Bubbas, Quiets, Grumpy, Sleepy and Docs).

To confirm you're coming to the hang please send me a PM wth your first, last name, tarp colour and license plate number ASAP.

Role call (Feb 19)

•Chard (Forest-Hobo)
•Iguana
•Bubba
•Quiet
•Rofo
•Jayson
•Mark
•Cedar
•Jscudds
•Awesumcdn
•Highboy
•Bielzabob
•Circlehasnoend
•WalkintheWoods

•Ggreaves (Sat)
•Lofty (Sat)
•Master Liam (Sat)
•Jimmay (Sat)
•PS22285 (Sat)

General Meeting Point
Tim Hortons by Trent University at 1527 Water St. North, Peterborough, ON at 10am

Park Access Point (For those not meeting at Tim's)Park's West Side Hwy 507 > Catchacoma > Beaver lake Road > Bottle lake Access Point (Parking a bend 300m back)
http://www.ontarioparks.com/pdf/maps/kawarthahighlands/park_map.pdf

rofo
02-19-2015, 10:03
Weather for the trip

76 highboy
02-19-2015, 14:35
Thats some fine weather. Maybe Chard will take a polar dip:laugh:

LuvmyBonnet
02-19-2015, 16:37
tarp color?!? seriously? That is truly a ridiculous amount of information for a camp site. Why not add retina scan while your at it? Geeeeez.

Bubba
02-19-2015, 17:17
tarp color?!? seriously? That is truly a ridiculous amount of information for a camp site. Why not add retina scan while your at it? Geeeeez.
It's for if there is a search and rescue if you don't come back from your trip.

LuvmyBonnet
02-19-2015, 17:21
It's for if there is a search and rescue if you don't come back from your trip.

And LuvmyBonnet was never seen again.....

ggreaves
02-19-2015, 20:22
so, does anyone have a permit number I can write on a paper permit for those coming in Saturday

Jayson
02-19-2015, 20:40
What time are you Saturday guys planning to arrive? I might be looking to stretch my legs for a bit and will meet you at the parkinglot.

ggreaves
02-19-2015, 21:13
so, does anyone have a permit number I can write on a paper permit for those coming in Saturday

I guess I can just copy down the number the rest of you have on your cars... duh

ggreaves
02-19-2015, 21:14
What time are you Saturday guys planning to arrive? I might be looking to stretch my legs for a bit and will meet you at the parkinglot.

we're going to be there probably around 9:30am. this should be fun.

Lofty
02-19-2015, 22:30
Ggreaves - Im gonna aim for parking lot on Saturday am 9:30
Only thing I'm DJing Friday and get home about 3:15 and will have to leave my house at 6:30 [emoji22].

Jayson
02-19-2015, 23:05
Ouch...gonna sleep well saturday then huh. I wont make any promises about meeting you, but you never know. See everyone soon.

rofo
02-20-2015, 03:17
If you don't come in with gg I will meet you at noonish.

Chard
02-24-2015, 20:18
Trip Report Thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/106509-Hanging-Cold-and-Feeling-Old!)