PDA

View Full Version : Washington Mid-winter Hang

Boomer
12-28-2014, 19:44
So, any discussion on doing this, this year?

I'm available February 6, 7, 8 (which is a little close in timing for those going to the Oregon one), or February 20, 21, 22.

Buenos, you around?

Brian Miller
12-30-2014, 01:09
So, any discussion on doing this, this year?

I'm available February 6, 7, 8 (which is a little close in timing for those going to the Oregon one), or February 20, 21, 22.

Buenos, you around?

The dates you suggest dovetail with my Valentines anniversary and I was planning on taking some time off. I think I'll watch this thread.

IRONFISH45
12-30-2014, 03:16
We have had a change of plans, we will not be able to make the Oregon Hang. What do you have in mind? What part of Washington State?

Boomer
12-30-2014, 23:30
We have had a change of plans, we will not be able to make the Oregon Hang. What do you have in mind? What part of Washington State?

Here are the posts from last year, which I wasn't able to make: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/83046-Central-wa-mid-winter-hang

Buenos made some videos to go with it, so you can see what the area looks like.

Here's the link for 2013 that I posted: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/68645-2013-Washington-State-Winter-Hang?p=946997#post946997

Buenos
12-31-2014, 07:48
Hey guys!

I'm good with the February 20-22 dates. I've been swamped this past year but I'm ready to get hanging again!

I also have a suggestion for a new spot to hang in Ellensburg proper that has a cabin onsite. It's on private property of a good friend who has invited us out to hang there. If your interested I'll post more I for and directions. I can also video scout the place and post that as well.

H2Oboy007
01-05-2015, 09:38
Is there any more information on this?

Buenos
01-05-2015, 12:49
Is there any more information on this?

Well,..
Right now the hand will occur February 20-22 in Ellensburg, WA. The place will either be Umptanum Canyon or another location (Menastash Creek Valley) yet to be disclosed, as I am still securing permissions as it is on private property. I will have the final location by January 23 with a video posted and instructions to get to the location. The second night I will have a big pot of my famous Vegetation Stew with Dumplings ready for all to share.

Both locations offer trails to hike on and water supplies to filter or boil from. Weather in Central WA is variable that time of year. I can be full on winter with snow, or cold, or rainy and wet and warm, so keep an eye on your weather apps and prepare! I live in Ellensburg and have extra room for those who need a spot indoors to bail out in. The area on private property may have a cabin available for use, and if I can secure that location, will have it rented and warm.

If anyone is interested, I can give a shop tour of Diaz Tools on Sunday afternoon. Its a mess, but where the magic happens. I will also likely have a couple of things to raffle from my shop.

So far, that is al I have to offer. I hope to see many there! I am I going to be in Alaska for 2 weeks starting tonight. I have access to internet and email, so feel free to contact me.

tugboater
01-05-2015, 19:18
I may be off, will keep a eye on this thread

Mumbles
01-06-2015, 02:59
Checking my schedule and hoping I can make it.

Boomer
01-06-2015, 10:48
Sounds good Buenos. Either spot is fine for us. Bringing my buddy & maybe a friend or two. Looking forward to the video too.

MikeWebb
01-06-2015, 23:26
I hope I can make it there!

kevjam
01-14-2015, 23:01
Works for me see you then.

H2Oboy007
01-23-2015, 13:31
...will occur February 20-22 in Ellensburg, WA. ... I will have the final location by January 23...

Any final word on the details?

Buenos
01-23-2015, 22:55
Any final word on the details?

Sorry for the delay. I'm still working on the details. I'll have something, including a video by Tuesday. The dates of Feb 20-22, 2015 are still a go.

Boomer
01-24-2015, 00:57
Good to hear Buenos. Planning on being there at either location.

IRONFISH45
01-24-2015, 03:00
I am hoping this will work for us. My daughter has just been assigned as location manager for a new business starting Feb. 2. Her birthday is Feb. 21, we have been planning a birthday trip, so this would work very well for us, barring unforeseen events.

Buenos
01-24-2015, 15:46
I am hoping this will work for us. My daughter has just been assigned as location manager for a new business starting Feb. 2. Her birthday is Feb. 21, we have been planning a birthday trip, so this would work very well for us, barring unforeseen events.

Glad this'll work into your schedule. I look foreword to having you guys out there.

Hey everyone,
Looks like the secondary site fell through. So Umptanum Canyon is the site, again, of the WA Mid-Winter Hang this year.

I'll try and post a quick vid of the site and present conditions on Tuesday (likely Tuesday night).

Buenos
01-27-2015, 21:22
Foggy weather kept me indoors today (in my shop), But I'll drive out to the Umptanum Canyon tomorrow and get some pics of the hang site.

This strange, and very warm winter is, just,...well,...strange.

H2Oboy007
01-28-2015, 08:43
It looks like twotreez and I won't be able to get over there until the morning of the 21st. Hopefully there will still be some trees left :unsure:.
I guess we could also get off of our butts and finish our hammock stands :tonguesmilie:.

Buenos
01-28-2015, 23:57
It looks like twotreez and I won't be able to get over there until the morning of the 21st. Hopefully there will still be some trees left :unsure:.
I guess we could also get off of our butts and finish our hammock stands :tonguesmilie:.

There are plenty of trees! There are even a few more places to change a bit further down the canyon. We've had as many as 8 people in that stand of aspens with plenty of room to spare.

tonejones
01-31-2015, 01:18
Oh man! It's been awhile but I might just make it to this one. The first winter hang we did was great!

IRONFISH45
01-31-2015, 03:20
[QUOTE=Buenos;1399264]Foggy weather kept me indoors today (in my shop), But I'll drive out to the Umptanum Canyon tomorrow and get some pics of the hang site.

This strange, and very warm winter is, just,...well,...strange.[/QUOT

Interesting, you have fog, we here in Oregon, have what is now politely called "Air Inversion", I call it old fashion SMOG. Stinky stuff! so sad Oregon never had Smog when I was growing up or when I was a young adult. I am glad your area just has some Fog.

Very nice to be having very temperate weather the end of January. Back to sandals, modest shorts, no coat. Our Oregon coast was as warm as it gets in high summer. I almost feel guilty over how moderate the weather is right now, I am sure it will change soon.

Boomer
02-01-2015, 16:11
Buenos, do you know which parking permit for the access? Is it the one that you get with the fishing license, or another one?

Buenos
02-02-2015, 19:48
Buenos, do you know which parking permit for the access? Is it the one that you get with the fishing license, or another one?

No parking permits needed. There is a $5 fee for parking from May to September, but that does not apply for this outing.
reference: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/umtanum-creek-canyon

See you all there!

Boomer
02-04-2015, 15:09
Ok, we'll probably head over Thursday night & maybe fly fish Friday at the creek.

Buenos
02-09-2015, 10:14
Getting psyched! Just a couple of weeks away!

Though, if the weather trends continue, we may want to call this the WA State Early Spring Hang.

IRONFISH45
02-09-2015, 10:28
YUP, soft rain here (just East of Portland) wind coming up. However it is anyones guess what the weather will be like in two weeks.

Our work schedule has just changed now we have Saturday and Sunday off so that is helpful, coming up Saturday after work was going to be a challenge, so the change in days off was positive for the stand point of this Hang.

So free parking anytime with a BLM Permit, (not sure of the title), free parking always in the Winter?

Buenos
02-09-2015, 20:13
YUP, soft rain here (just East of Portland) wind coming up. However it is anyones guess what the weather will be like in two weeks.

Our work schedule has just changed now we have Saturday and Sunday off so that is helpful, coming up Saturday after work was going to be a challenge, so the change in days off was positive for the stand point of this Hang.

So free parking anytime with a BLM Permit, (not sure of the title), free parking always in the Winter?

Free parking in the Winter!

H2Oboy007
02-11-2015, 08:59
No parking permits needed. There is a $5 fee for parking from May to September, but that does not apply for this outing.
reference: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/umtanum-creek-canyon

See you all there!

I have what may be a really dumb question... having never been to this area, how do we find the hang location?
I've checked the link and it has directions to the trailhead, but it doesn't have anything about a campground.
If we follow the directions to the trailhead, where do we go then?

Thanks in advance.

Montexan
02-11-2015, 12:17
I'll be working, but I'm interested to see some photos of that area. I pretty much always head North of 90 from Roslyn to Vantage; and with Vantage closed, I'm interested in some other canyon camping.

When in those parts I typically opt for Tucquala Lake, North of Roslyn. Another very good area in Summer and great potential for a group-hang since there are loads of ideal trees, flat tent/popup areas and parking. Not to mention: fishing, 4-bying, Hyas Lake (easy morning hike) and Cathedral Rock (harder day hike).

On a side note, I have some great camping spots with GPS locations marked all along Salmon La Sac and NF4330 if anyone wants 'em. One has a place you can climb down and have your own private waterfall and swimming pool.

Buenos
02-11-2015, 14:57
I have what may be a really dumb question... having never been to this area, how do we find the hang location?
I've checked the link and it has directions to the trailhead, but it doesn't have anything about a campground.
If we follow the directions to the trailhead, where do we go then?

Thanks in advance.

Not a dumb question. But it's simple! Once you ross the suspension bridge, you'll cross under the rail road tracks. Stay on the main trail going straight, staying in the valley. About 1/4 mile in you'll see a stand of aspens on the left side of he trail. That is the main hang area. Keep waling down the trail until you see some trail spurs heading to the aspen stand. There are several.

I'll be working, but I'm interested to see some photos of that area. I pretty much always head North of 90 from Roslyn to Vantage; and with Vantage closed, I'm interested in some other canyon camping.

When in those parts I typically opt for Tucquala Lake, North of Roslyn. Another very good area in Summer and great potential for a group-hang since there are loads of ideal trees, flat tent/popup areas and parking. Not to mention: fishing, 4-bying, Hyas Lake (easy morning hike) and Cathedral Rock (harder day hike).

On a side note, I have some great camping spots with GPS locations marked all along Salmon La Sac and NF4330 if anyone wants 'em. One has a place you can climb down and have your own private waterfall and swimming pool.

Have a look at previous year's hangs, doing a flume search for "WA State Mid winter hang" there are both pics and vids. We'll do our best to post pics of the hang once it's over.

I wouldn't mind your sharing some of those waypoint some time!

Brian Miller
02-12-2015, 23:57
Hi, Boomer,

Ok, we'll probably head over Thursday night & maybe fly fish Friday at the creek.

Fishing the Yak "at the creek", right?
from the regs... UMTANUM CREEK (Kittitas Co.)All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31

Boomer
02-16-2015, 23:17
Hi, Boomer,

Fishing the Yak "at the creek", right?
from the regs... UMTANUM CREEK (Kittitas Co.)All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31

No, Brian. I'd be surprised if there were any fish in Umtanum. In 2013 it was flooding everywhere and the hang the year before that it was really low & iced up.

Going about an hour east is RFC, year round, fly fish only, no wading and you cannot remove fish.

Looking forward to going this week. Just got back today from taking my wife & 6 teens from church out hammock camping.

Buenos
02-20-2015, 10:10
Okay! tonight is the night! (theres a song about that.)

The weather isn't very wintery, but expected to be quite beautiful!

I will be there later this evening (around 9pm). I'll make a big pot of soup (hearty veggie stew with dumplings) to share tomorrow night. (please bring your own bowl and spoon/spork).

See you all soon!

Boomer
02-21-2015, 00:30
Jose, no one else is here yet. It was 29* last night & beautiful hiking weather today.

H2Oboy007
02-23-2015, 07:50
It was a beautiful site....
The weather definitely pushed the limits of the kit I had with me though.
I really enjoyed meeting and hanging out with the guys.

Thank you Jose for organizing it... and for the beautiful fire steel!

Buenos
02-24-2015, 03:44
Another successful WA State Mid-Winter Hang! I'll post a video synopsis from my perspective soon.

Thanks to all who attended! I'm looking foreword to next year's!