PDA

View Full Version : BUGNET/HAMMOCK what to buy?

ClemsonBackpacker
01-01-2015, 21:25
I have an ENO Doublenest... but its 50-60$ for the guardian bugnet.. so should i just go ahead and get a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro instead of the bugnet for the ease of setup?

WrenchBender
01-01-2015, 21:35
I went with the Fronkey diy net made with curtain sheers and shock cord. Dirt cheap and works great.

ClemsonBackpacker
01-01-2015, 21:41
I went with the Fronkey diy net made with curtain sheers and shock cord. Dirt cheap and works great.

yeah... but to be honest.. i dont have the time with school and younglife

12trysomething
01-01-2015, 21:43
Check out Dutch - he is selling the Fronkey style at a very reasonable price. You will enjoy the weight savings as well!

ClemsonBackpacker
01-01-2015, 22:02
Check out Dutch - he is selling the Fronkey style at a very reasonable price. You will enjoy the weight savings as well!

yeah 45$ is a great deal :)

BryanS
01-01-2015, 22:50
If you want something cheap and easy you might want to keep your eye out for a woot deal on Yukon stuff. They sell a cheap hammock with bug net for like $20. You can also find higher end stuff thats of the same style, if you don't want to just add a bug net, from people like Hammeck or Dream Hammock.

Texas Hanger
01-01-2015, 23:07
I just ordered Dutch's new bug no see um and argon sock. I put my Guardian on ebay... The bug sock is only $50 and gives you some options for colder weather.

Mystery Oneal
01-01-2015, 23:22
The ENO net has been serving me well for about 6 years...and I live in my hammock...only complaints are the weight and lack of breathability caused by the thick mesh. I will be retiring it soon, as I am converting over to an zip-on/removable style net.

On a different note...You really can make a net in about 20 minutes...don't be DIY shy.

Fancy Ramen
01-03-2015, 11:05
I second the diy route for the bug net. It doesn't take any time at all and is more fulfilling to diy. Plus it's cheaper and I'm all about saving money.

sidneyhornblower
01-03-2015, 12:31
And I'll pile on thirds for making your own Fronkey style. If you have (or know someone else who has) even the most basic sewing machine, it's a less than an hour project if you buy cheap window shears and use those. Add a few bucks for cord and cord lock and you've got a bugnet. Before you dismiss the idea entirely, search out the videos that explain how to do it. I watched both Fronkey's and Cryptic Cricket's videos on how to make a bugnet.

Ashe
01-04-2015, 18:08
Shop around. The guardian is lot heavier than others on the market.

OutCold
01-05-2015, 00:20
I'm making one this week I'll let you know how long it takes me. I'm a DIY rookie too.

OregonBushcraft
01-05-2015, 10:50
I say GTSBP or Snugpak Jungle Hammock ($47 on Amazon). Both are great, no fuss, no muss.

Johnco
01-09-2015, 10:20
The guardian is very heavy and is not the best in ease of use. It's very thick and doesn't allow much airflow. I'd suggest another option

jdk
01-09-2015, 11:09
I have the guardian and a diy fronkey style made with noseeum from rbtr. The fronkey is much easier to use. I was wondering why I was sweltering in the guardian in the summer - will have to see if the fronkey is any better in that respect, though i expect any difference to be due to the material rather than the design. I haven't used it in the summer yet.