PDA

View Full Version : First night tonight

cmroberts1
01-03-2015, 17:15
I wanted to thank everyone on here, First...especially Shug. If it wasn't for you guys knowledge and Shug's videos, I would be lost and probably would not have attempted to try hammock camping.

For Christmas, my girlfriend got me a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and I just got my Superfly tarp, today. Got everything setup and will attempt my first yard hang tonight. My only concern is it is going to rain and might get some thunderstorms. I guess trial by fire.....

Thanks again guys. Below is pics of my setup. All critiques and comments are welcome!!!

Also posted in General discussion. Sorry for double post!!!

Martin

http://i.imgur.com/OUDeZZhl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/yLnRTkMl.jpg

Shug
01-03-2015, 17:17
You look well set up...hunker down and enjoy)))))
Whoooooo Buddy.
Shug

DanglingModifier
01-03-2015, 17:23
Good choices in gear.

What are you going to put under you to stay warm?

cmroberts1
01-03-2015, 17:27
I have a pad that I am going to put between layers (1.7 double layer version) and going to use my sleeping bag. Would really like to get an underquilt, but really want to give it a few tries before spending anymore money.

Martin

AA2FD
01-03-2015, 18:03
Looks like a good spot to set up. Let us know how thing go!

...Bob

DanglingModifier
01-03-2015, 18:25
I have a pad that I am going to put between layers

It looks like there is unseasonably warm lows for tonight in the Atlanta area. I'm not sure where you're located, but maybe low temps won't be a factor tonight.

Most pads are in the range of 20'-25" wide. If yours falls in that range consider bringing out some extra insulation to keep your shoulders and butt warm. Small blanket, spare jacket, whatever. Leave it on the XLC shelf if you want to see how the pad works on its own. If you get cold where the hammock directly touches your sleeping bag (and you probably will if it gets into the 40s or below), it should save you a trip back in the house in the wee hours. Just pull the stuff out of the shelf and stuff it around you as needed.

JSH
01-03-2015, 19:21
It looks like there is unseasonably warm lows for tonight in the Atlanta area. I'm not sure where you're located, but maybe low temps won't be a factor tonight.

Most pads are in the range of 20'-25" wide. If yours falls in that range consider bringing out some extra insulation to keep your shoulders and butt warm. Small blanket, spare jacket, whatever. Leave it on the XLC shelf if you want to see how the pad works on its own. If you get cold where the hammock directly touches your sleeping bag (and you probably will if it gets into the 40s or below), it should save you a trip back in the house in the wee hours. Just pull the stuff out of the shelf and stuff it around you as needed.

Martin,

You're doing the right thing trying things out in your yard. Familiar settings and if this hang is a good one for you it will serve as an effective location to try out new setups with your equipment building on your experience without the distraction of a new setting.
DanglingModifier's advice about storing something supplemental in your hammock's shelf is a good idea. As I've experimented with insulation using my Blackbird, the shelf has been really handy at night. Happened last night for example. I needed something for my bald head and just reached over in the dark until I found my down hood. Slipped it on and went back to sleep in a couple minutes, didn't needed flashlight to find . Later nearer dawn I got a little cool. Again just reached over to the shelf to grab a fleece shirt.

Finally if you find your shoulders getting a little cool, you might want to get some supplemental 1/4" or 3/8" CCA to provide some shoulder protection. A piece that crossed perpendicular to your pad and providing a little wrap might be plenty. You'll find out. Hope you have a good sleep tonight.

sidneyhornblower
01-03-2015, 20:36
Sweet looking setup. I was out last night down at the lake in the rain. You'll be fine tonite. Only quibble I have based on your photos is wondering if rain might splash under the tarp from that spiney plant to the left in the second photo. Otherwise, looks like fun!
Cheers.

MDSH
01-03-2015, 20:38
Looking good, cm!

The Tree Frog
01-03-2015, 20:44
All good advice. One more comment, your pull outs will drip if rain is heavy. They need to be seam sealed if you didn't already. Shouldn't get you wet unless your hammock touches the sides.

Sailor
01-04-2015, 00:42
Right at the top of the list of good things about hammocks, is that it gives you an excuse to camp out in the back yard.

cmroberts1
01-04-2015, 07:07
Thanks for all the comments!

First night went great. Slept like a baby.. It was actually warm, but i can see the benefit of a UQ. I could feel a huge temperature difference on and off the pad.

Thanks again to everyone.

Martin

DanglingModifier
01-04-2015, 15:36
Great news! One comfortable night was all it took to hook me.

Keep in mind the advice for keeping warm when the temp drops. You'd be surprised how cold you can get in a hammock when the conditions are right (i.e. when you're underprepared).

mrdim
01-04-2015, 18:28
Looks like a good spot to set up.

GoatHanger
01-04-2015, 18:36
Looks great. Warbonnet stuff is top notch. You're well sheltered. A thunderstorm for the first time... you're the man. That's good sleeping weather! Have fun!

backpacker
01-04-2015, 18:48
Your setup looks great.

Hawk i
01-12-2015, 11:16
Looks great !!!!! back yard testing is the BEST way to get the kinks out !! Shug Shug has some of the BEST videos to learn with.

Stevie
01-18-2015, 13:58
Well done fella, good choice of equipment and a great spot for spending some alone time. Happy hammocking

ps22285
01-21-2015, 19:57
First of many nights....

cougarmeat
01-22-2015, 19:54
Remember to let us know how it went. I have always felt a little strange the first night in a hammock after bed sleeping for a while. The muscles need to remember how relax. So do give it more than just one night before you do any major adjustments.

Sethrotull
01-22-2015, 22:35
Looks real nice. I have a BlackBird and SuperFly, great gear.

peterhase
01-27-2015, 05:48
Nice! Good to hear it worked well! :)

hanggirl
01-29-2015, 14:58
Looking good, congrats on your first night.

Hikermdc
02-21-2015, 16:58
Nice setup! Looking forward to doing the same soon.

Scalz
02-21-2015, 19:17
I echo the sentiment of trying in backyard first. Seems like everything went well. Way to go! Nice to see a picture with greenery and no snow!