PDA

View Full Version : Ordering, building zippers.

NCPatrick
04-26-2007, 07:12
I've been wanting to go ahead and order a lot of #5 zipper for various projects (from OWF, I think).

It looks like you just order the parts, and I'm assuming that it doesn't matter which side is which, and that you just get continuous "zipper", which you would cut and sew into either side of what you are attaching, and then put on the pulls and some stops, etc. etc...

I'm not understanding it (DUH!). It was unclear to me how you go about ordering the separate pieces and how they go together. A visit to Hancock Fabrics last night left me more confused with all the zipper pieces.

What are some of the other factors I need to think about ordering zippers? How does it all fit together? Best practices for sewing?

Thanks.

Coffee
04-26-2007, 07:19
The biggest thing is whether or not you want seperating zippers or not. Basically do you want something like a jacket that completly seperates, something that seperates on one end, or something with a double pull that doesn't seperate.

I had one project where one side seperated and one where neither side did. The easiest way is not to seperate and just sew the ends. Building seperating ones gets hairy and I do not know much about it.

NCPatrick
04-26-2007, 07:24
What zipper(s) did you use on your bug bivvy #2? Thanks.

Coffee
04-26-2007, 07:36
First version is a #3 and the second is a #5. The #5 probibly doubled the weight, but it is also easier to use and more durable.

OWF told me to add zipper pulls and always use them. They increase the life of the zipper. I just use a piece of light weight spectra.

EDIT: I should say it doubled the weight from the zipper, not the total project weight.

NCPatrick
04-26-2007, 07:38
Ok. Thanks. I just went back to the OWF site and it didn't seem so confusing this time. I guess the coffee is kicking in this morning finally.

Coffee
04-26-2007, 07:41
If you go to patterns, I think, there is something you can order that goes over zippers. Next time I order something from them I am going to order that, a sample of each type of zipper and pull, and a set of all fabric and notions. Might cost me $20, but I will be able to make better decisions on what to use.

funbun
04-26-2007, 07:50
Hammock Engineer, how much do you think the zipper added to the overall weight of the project?

headchange4u
04-26-2007, 07:50
Call OWF. They are great and they are will to talk with you and explain the different types of zippers and all the parts. Really nice people there. Also you can go ahead and have them install the slider on the zipper for you. That's supposed to be kinda tricky.

Just a word from experience, if you want separating zippers, whether they are a 1 way or 2 way, you have to get them pre-made, in predetermined lengths. You can not buy a continuous zipper and make it into a separating zipper.

NCPatrick
04-26-2007, 07:59
What did you use for your hh clone? How did you make your zipper so your bugnetting could be removed competely? Thanks.

headchange4u
04-26-2007, 08:13
I used zippers from a $10 Target sleeping bag. The 2 way seperating zipper that I need (about 101" in length) were like $15 each online. OWF had to special order them.

Someone also posted a link to Quest Outfitter's zipper page (http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippers.htm#MAKE%20YOUR%20OWN%20ZIPPERS). Look at item # 5189. It's fairly cheap but it's a #8 zipper where I used a #5, so it will be a little heavier.

If you get sleeping bags and use those zippers you will still have the the bag left to use in future projects. Fleece bags will work nice. Make sure your sleeping bag zippers have a double pull on at least one slider so it can be opened from the inside AND outside.

Coffee
04-26-2007, 08:16
I think the zipper added 4-6oz ish. I weighed it before I added it, but I can't remember now.

For me adding the zipper sliders was not hard, but adding the ends was. I never did get that right.

Word to the wise, add the zipper sliders before you sew the ends shut. Don't ask, lots of seam ripping behind this advice.

NCPatrick
04-26-2007, 08:26
I used zippers from a $10 Target sleeping bag. The 2 way seperating zipper that I need (about 101" in length) were like $15 each online. OWF had to special order them.

Someone also posted a link to Quest Outfitter's zipper page (http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippers.htm#MAKE%20YOUR%20OWN%20ZIPPERS). Look at item # 5189. It's fairly cheap but it's a #8 zipper where I used a #5, so it will be a little heavier.

If you get sleeping bags and use those zippers you will still have the the bag left to use in future projects. Fleece bags will work nice. Make sure your sleeping bag zippers have a double pull on at least one slider so it can be opened from the inside AND outside.

Cool beans!

Thanks for the link.

headchange4u
04-26-2007, 08:38
BTW

The zipper from the Target sleeping bag weighed 3.8oz for 110" zipper, before I trimmed it down.

NCPatrick
04-26-2007, 08:49
So you just had the one zipper, where the sliders could go all the way around your bugnetting? Where did you put the zipper attach point? (I didn't look at that at SEHHA)

headchange4u
04-26-2007, 09:02
I used 2 zippers, one on each side. One detaches at the head the other side come apart at the foot.

NCPatrick
04-26-2007, 09:03
Ohhhhh ok. Makes sense.

seuss
04-26-2007, 09:55
Campmor (http://campmor.stores.yahoo.net/21964.html)offers a 100" Separating #5 Coil Zipper for $6.25. It looks like it's a single separating zipper as opposed to OWF's double separators.

headchange4u
04-26-2007, 09:59
Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12132&memberId=12500226)offers a 100" Separating #5 Coil Zipper for $6.25. It looks like it's a single separating zipper as opposed to OWF's double separators.

That would work fine. I wanted a zipper with 2 sliders on each side so I could unzip either side from the head or foot.