PDA

View Full Version : hiking/canoing Reading Pa

Hammockrookie
08-30-2009, 20:17
Fairly new to hiking and hammocking. Wondering if anyone is familiar with canoing the Schuylkill River from Hamburg to Reading? Is it passable on a canoe and can i hammock camp along the banks? Anyone interested in making the trip with me?

Mustardman
08-30-2009, 20:29
Sure, if you can find a canoe that won't dissolve in the shure-kill water, I bet it could be done :lol: :D

Honestly, I grew up in that area, and while I'm quite familiar with the river's toxicity, I never tried to canoe it in the 20-some odd years I lived nearby. I'm looking forward to seeing what responses you get, though - would make a great weekend getaway while I'm up visiting family.

Ramblinrev
08-30-2009, 21:26
When are you going?
I might be

bronconite
08-31-2009, 10:01
I have done 2 day trips on the Schuylkill in my kayak this year. Each one we had a canoe with. First trip we put in just below the Old 22 bridge, second trip just below the Kernsville Dam. You can actually canoe from Auburn if the river is high enough. I have a very helpful book that tells you how high the river should be to canoe a section of river.
http://www.amazon.com/Keystone-Canoeing-Canoeable-Eastern-Pennsylvania/dp/0960590862/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251729823&sr=1-2

River heights can be found here http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/current/?type=flow

Land ownership in berks county can be viewed here
http://www.co.berks.pa.us/berks/cwp/view.asp?a=1144&q=469136

Just below the Mohrsville bridge, river left, is some land owned by the Berks County Conservancy. I don't know if they would allow camping, but there won't be a landowner to chase you off either.

As far as water quality goes, it is vastly improved from what it once was.

The Schuylkill River is part of the Pennsylvania Water Trails system. Here is a link to that
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/trailindex.htm

Definitly post when you go. I don't know if I'll be able to do an overnight or not. But I'd definitly be up for a day
trip most weekends.

I'll post some minimum gage height from the book tonight if I remember it.

Dutch
08-31-2009, 15:16
Hey I would love to join if I can. I really don't have any experience or equipment at this, but that has never stopped me from doing anything before. Anyhow I'm sure I can borrow, buy, or rent gear. Let me know b/c this is something I would be up for.

Ramblinrev
08-31-2009, 15:22
Dutch... if I go you can paddle bow in my canoe.

Dutch
08-31-2009, 17:39
that's a deal Rev

fiddlehead
08-31-2009, 20:40
Looks like Broncolite covered it pretty well.
I paddled whitewater for 9 years and started out on the Schuylkill River in our old Coleman canoe back in 1980.
We always took out at Kernsville Dam or before though.

After a good rain, the run from Auburn down can be quite good for beginners.
That doesn't mean we didn't have our swims. There are some rapids.
There is a railroad bridge with 7 arches to choose your route from.
I suggest scouting these kind of things in case there are trees stuck in them (they can kill you)

Sounds like fun. I am looking forward to taking my kid down the river when he is old enough.

Ramblinrev
08-31-2009, 20:53
ok... if there are rapids I will have to bail. My canoe is straight flat water. Sorry guys and especially you Dutch. This boat was custom made for lakes. I'd take it onto the Great Lakes without batting an eyelash. But I don;t trust it in swift.. let alone fast water.

fiddlehead
08-31-2009, 22:01
The rapids that i talk about are north of the dam (Kernville)
I don't know about south of there which is what your original post asked about.
So, better to ask Broncolite who's done that section.

Your boat must be fiberglass then aye?
Mine's plastic and quite indestructible.

Ramblinrev
09-01-2009, 01:41
Fiddlehead.. I have a Northland glass on wood. Ir was custom made for my folks for use in the Algonquin Waters. An absolutely sweet craft on flat water. It'll ride swells like a champ and track straight as an arrow. But it is not a nimble thing in swift or fast water.

Ok.. I don't bail until I have more information.

bronconite
09-01-2009, 06:05
There aren't any rapids below the dam. There are some spots where the water gets faster and you may drag the bottom at places, but nothing that requires quick corrections.

Keep in mind, I'm a novice at this so I'm explaining this the best I can. I've never run what I consider to be rapids. But I really see no problem with most any canoe on this section of river, as long as you don't mind getting the bottom scratched up.

Oh-No
09-01-2009, 06:16
I'd like to go (depending on the dates)
I'd be using a kayak.

bronconite
09-02-2009, 08:56
Here is some more Schuylkill River info from the book "Keystone Canoeing"

The river is canoeable from Port Carbon. The gage at Landingville should read at least 4.1 feet to canoe above Schuylkill Haven and at least 3.6 feet for below. The gage at Bern should read at least 5.1 feet to start at Port Clinton and at least 4.9 feet to run below Maiden Creek (Maiden creek enters the Schuylkill just below Leesport).

That 5.1 number to put in at Port Clinton is definitly bare minimum. This I know this from expreience. At 5.5 feet I had no problems whatsoever.

Hammockrookie
09-02-2009, 11:40
Wow, didn't expect so many responses...especially this fast. As far when I am going, I was wanting to try and take my son this Labor Day weekend. Still trying to talk my wife into letting him go....concerned we might get wet. Otherwise I would be up for going other times as well. Just as long as there isn't ice floating with me. I could probably pick up some pointers on hanging as well......

Ramblinrev
09-02-2009, 12:59
I need more details about where and when so I can try to arrange transportation.

Ramblinrev
09-02-2009, 17:49
I am going to have to bail on this. Sorry Dutch. I have been out of work for about a year and I got a call to do a Sunday service for a church and just can't turn it down. If nothing else I need the money. So have a good time and if the trip doesn't go this weekend then maybe I can catch up on the next run. Unless of course all my weekends are shot... which could be a good thing.

Dutch
09-02-2009, 17:53
I am going to have to bail on this. Sorry Dutch. I have been out of work for about a year and I got a call to do a Sunday service for a church and just can't turn it down. If nothing else I need the money. So have a good time and if the trip doesn't go this weekend then maybe I can catch up on the next run. Unless of course all my weekends are shot... which could be a good thing.

No problem i am hoping all your weekends get filled up, well except for Nov 2nd.

I couldn't do this weekend anyhow. I would need a little more advance notice and this is my daughter's b-day party. However I am always up for an adventure.

Hammockrookie
09-02-2009, 19:25
I'm not certain i can do this weekend either but thank you for your input. Maybe some other time

nsgrossman
11-11-2009, 00:58
Did this ever happen? I don't have a boat but i've been looking into getting one for awhile now. Also interested in hiking in this area if anyone is interested?

Peace
-Nate

bronconite
11-16-2009, 08:43
Did this ever happen? I don't have a boat but i've been looking into getting one for awhile now. Also interested in hiking in this area if anyone is interested?

Peace
-Nate

I don't believe it did. I think an overnight canoe/kayak trip next spring is definitly in order. As it gets closer we'll have to try to set it up.

G.L.P.
11-16-2009, 09:18
Not sure if you really wanna go on the Schuylkill River...it is really dirty
i mean bad...it's orange is some spots from all the mine run-off
i iron count in the water is really high...heck...you can only eat 1 fish a month out of the SR becuase how bad it is

I rather swim in a stripping hole than the SR

bronconite
11-16-2009, 13:43
Not sure if you really wanna go on the Schuylkill River...it is really dirty
i mean bad...it's orange is some spots from all the mine run-off
i iron count in the water is really high...heck...you can only eat 1 fish a month out of the SR becuase how bad it is

I rather swim in a stripping hole than the SR

I regularly kayak the Schuylkill below Port Clinton and have never seen the water orange from mine runoff. I do know what you're talking about, the Mahanoy creek in Northumberland county often looks like that. You are a bit further North, so what you're seeing may be diluted 'till it gets down my way.

I know the water quality is not the best, but it's WAY better than it used to be.

Visually, i've never seen the Schuylkill's water look any different than the Susquehanna or Juniata.

But hey, if you prefer a stripping hole, more power to ya.:D

Mustardman
11-16-2009, 16:07
Visually, i've never seen the Schuylkill's water look any different than the Susquehanna or Juniata.

That's like saying "smell-wise, I've never seen the shurekill's water look any different than a sewer or manure plant"

Then again, I used to do a lot of boating in the susquehanna, downstream from three mile island. Probably explains why I am the way I am :lol:

G.L.P.
11-16-2009, 18:07
Well if you wanna swim in it go for it....it's your life
i figured i would let you know the risk if you do :)