PDA

View Full Version : Are underquilts restrictive?

barefoot_4_2
01-06-2015, 15:06
I am wanting to make underquilts for me and my son, but I was wondering if they are restrictive, and if there's a way to make them 'roomier'.

BryanS
01-06-2015, 15:08
You want something that fits closely against the bottom of the hammock so there isn't air gaps between the hammock and the UQ. Min UQ from HG isn't restrictive; I can shift around and the shock cord suspension has plenty of give to not feel binding, but I wouldn't describe it as roomy, and wouldn't want it to be roomy or loose fitting since it wouldn't keep me warm.

Thumbs
01-06-2015, 15:12
Underquilts are usually suspended by shock cord and move with you.

dakotaross
01-06-2015, 15:13
Do you mean top quilts?

UQs are simply pulled up to make contact with your backside and the sides of the hammock. Totally not restricting.

barefoot_4_2
01-06-2015, 23:10
I'm a total newbie, I know people recommend large hammocks for plenty of wiggle room, and I didn't know if the same thing applied to underquilts or not. What are the dimensions of a good underquilt?

nuttysquirrel
01-07-2015, 01:18
Naw dawg.
The uq will move with your hammock. Shock cord stretches and you shouldnt really feel it squeezing you. I cant tell when my uq is on if the shock cords are tensioned properly.
Good luck!

deerdog
01-07-2015, 04:11
Following this. Just trying to decide which is to buy.

SilvrSurfr
01-07-2015, 05:24
I'm a total newbie, I know people recommend large hammocks for plenty of wiggle room, and I didn't know if the same thing applied to underquilts or not.

Usually the only people recommending large hammocks are large people. Hikers certainly aren't looking for extra weight, and the largest hammocks our cottage vendors make are usually 11' long by 60" wide (because that's the width of the roll most fabric comes in, though Dream Hammock may have some wider fabric).

What are the dimensions of a good underquilt?

Depends on your height, circumference, how you sleep (hot/cold) and hiking style. Some folks like a full length UQ while others like 3/4. Take a look at the dimensions offered by the quilt vendors and that will give you an idea of their standard offerings.

barefoot_4_2
01-07-2015, 10:29
I'm not planning to hike with this underquilt, it's just going to be for inside hanging, and possible mild outside hanging, maybe from 70* to 50*. Maybe one full sized for me, and a 3/4 length for my 4 year old, that'll be full length for him. Is it possible to make an underquilt with regular quilt batting (my mom is a quilter)? I have a treklite double and the little one has a 60" wide almost 10' long hammock that I made for him.

daneaustin3
01-07-2015, 13:05
I think this thread might be of interest to you:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103995