PDA

View Full Version : Etowah Outfitters Tarp

Bucky Katt
08-31-2009, 13:21
Has anyone had experience using the Etowah Outfitters Tarp? I saw an 8x10 of this tarp --it appeared to be a gray silnylon material. Was quite lightweight...and very expensive.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and if they find it to be worth the money?

Also, in that size, it is one that you could use for hammock camping as well as a tarp tent shelter, if need be, correct?

Is 8x10 big enough to afford good weather protection? I'm having difficulty visualizing this.

Thanks!

JayS
08-31-2009, 14:34
I have no experience with the Etowah Outfitters tarp.

I use an 8x10 tarp (Campmor nylon, PU coated) with hammocks with little to no issues weather wise. My son loves this tarp for his ENO doublenest and I have used it for a HH Ex Assym. I believe I may have even hung two hammocks under it in a sleet storm but I can't remember for sure. The 10' length as ridgeline is big enough for almost any hammock. During the sleet storm, the wind changed direction and we added a raincoat to the end with the wind coming in to cut down on drifting sleet.

I have also strung it on the diagonal (ridgeline is then about 12.5') and it did nicely although coverage was a little weak at the ends... but then again, the ends are more than 12' apart.

This tarp has been around - we used it for that most hideous activity (sleeping on the ground) before we started hanging. It was plenty big enough for two pre-teens, a 65 pound dog, me and our gear during a night and day of heavy rain. I have also pitched it as a small one man shelter all the way to the ground in 30 mph winds and anchored it with rocks along the edge.

This size is a good, versatile size for many activities. If the weight & price is right, you probably won't go wrong. You may want a large tarp for extreme cold weather, though.

JayS

gargoyle
08-31-2009, 14:59
I'll agree with the above comments. Good size for a hammock, not the best of both worlds as far size, weight and function. In really bad weather you would appreciate the extra square footage/space under a 10 x 12. How expensive was the Etowah? Does that price compare to OES, or Warbonnet? Any tarp can be rigged to the ground and act as a tent, so don't let that option sway your opinion. A couple of strategically placed webbing loops gives your tarp all sorts of options.

PS. nice avatar, I love that video.

jeffjenn
08-31-2009, 15:02
Should be able to get one of these for around $80-85. What price did you see? You can get their PU coated tarps for almost half this price, but they are a good bit heavier. One noteworthy thing about the Etowah tarp is it has tieouts instead of grommets. 10' is borderline short for my personal taste, but I can't see any reason it won't work. You could also hang the tarp corner to corner like a Hennessy stock tarp using only two stakes.

chiefams
08-31-2009, 16:19
I use the nylon version pu coated and I love it. I am young and don't mind the weight problems but I have had virtually no weather problems except in 50 mph winds and terrential downpours <--- bad combination with this size tarp, but for most of my uses it is great!

Rockdawg69
08-31-2009, 19:42
Has anyone had experience using the Etowah Outfitters Tarp? I saw an 8x10 of this tarp --it appeared to be a gray silnylon material. Was quite lightweight...and very expensive.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and if they find it to be worth the money?

Also, in that size, it is one that you could use for hammock camping as well as a tarp tent shelter, if need be, correct?

Is 8x10 big enough to afford good weather protection? I'm having difficulty visualizing this.

Thanks!

I have the 8 x 10 EO tarp (silnylon). Used it as a tarp tent and as a tarp for about 150 miles on the AT in April/May 2007. Worked well. Much lighter than my one-man tent. Have used it with my HULBA but found it to be too small for my wants. I think it cost me about $95 while on the trail - (no competition for pricing).

I have since switched to an OES SpinnUL 10 x 11. Much better tarp IMO and lower weight for bigger coverage. No more sagging edges or ridge line when wet.

redbank
08-31-2009, 20:10
I'm using the 10' x 10' Etowah Standard Backpacking Tarp. I think Etowah lists the weight at 18 oz. I like the extra coverage over the 8' x 10'. If you are thinking of an Etowah contact these guys. I have no affiliation with them other than they are hammock campers and have treated me very well!

http://www.bigrockoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_67&products_id=8747

Redbank

sclittlefield
08-31-2009, 22:15
I'm using the 10' x 10' Etowah Standard Backpacking Tarp. I think Etowah lists the weight at 18 oz. I like the extra coverage over the 8' x 10'. If you are thinking of an Etowah contact these guys. I have no affiliation with them other than they are hammock campers and have treated me very well!

http://www.bigrockoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_67&products_id=8747

Redbank

That's 18oz for the 6x10. The 10x10 is listed at 29oz. For what that tarp is made from, if it were 18oz it would have to be filled with helium. Hmm... maybe I'm on to something. And it could double as stove fuel...

What could possibly go wrong?

redbank
09-01-2009, 06:30
That's 18oz for the 6x10. The 10x10 is listed at 29oz. For what that tarp is made from, if it were 18oz it would have to be filled with helium. Hmm... maybe I'm on to something. And it could double as stove fuel...

What could possibly go wrong?

Howdy Scittlefield!

I grabbed the ultralite tarp specs by mistake, sorry about that. Here are the ultralite specs, followed by the standard tarp.

UL-
6' x 10'
12 Tabs
Weight: 9 oz
MSRP: $78.00 Each
8' x 10'
12 Tabs
Weight: 13oz
MSRP: $98.00 Each
10'x 10'
16 Tabs
Weight: 18 oz
MSRP: $118.00 Each

Standard Tarps-
8' x 10', 12 tabs, Weight: 24 oz, MSRP: $46.00
10' x 10', 16tabs, Weight:32 oz, MSRP $52.00
12' x 10', 16 tabs, Weight: 40 oz, MSRP $58.00

KMACK
09-01-2009, 07:36
I too have a 8x10 Etowah. I beefed up the ridge line tabs and really like the tarp. Got it from https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Home_Page.html. George is great to deal with.

sclittlefield
09-01-2009, 07:48
Howdy Scittlefield!

I grabbed the ultralite tarp specs by mistake, sorry about that. Here are the ultralite specs, followed by the standard tarp.

UL-
6' x 10'
12 Tabs
Weight: 9 oz
MSRP: $78.00 Each
8' x 10'
12 Tabs
Weight: 13oz
MSRP: $98.00 Each
10'x 10'
16 Tabs
Weight: 18 oz
MSRP: $118.00 Each

Standard Tarps-
8' x 10', 12 tabs, Weight: 24 oz, MSRP: $46.00
10' x 10', 16tabs, Weight:32 oz, MSRP $52.00
12' x 10', 16 tabs, Weight: 40 oz, MSRP $58.00

That makes much more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

sclittlefield
09-01-2009, 07:50
I too have a 8x10 Etowah. I beefed up the ridge line tabs and really like the tarp. Got it from https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Home_Page.html. George is great to deal with.

I second that sentiment! If they carry the gear you need, definitely purchase here. And you can't beat the free shipping.

Bucky Katt
09-01-2009, 08:12
Is the OES SpinnUL tarp --- is it rectangular or is that the one with the cat cut? I don't remember any rectangular tarps at OES...

Rockdawg69
09-01-2009, 09:31
Is the OES SpinnUL tarp --- is it rectangular or is that the one with the cat cut? I don't remember any rectangular tarps at OES...

Mine is cat-cut with 5 tie-outs per side. I believe all of Brian's normal OES tarps are cat-cut, but he can custom make what you want if he has time. Just PM him and ask your questions.

Rockdawg69
09-01-2009, 09:32
Second thought: Cat-cuts keep their tautness much better than rectangular tarps.

beep
09-01-2009, 10:24

Brian makes both cat cut and square/rectangular. His website doesn't actually list the SpinnUL fabric choice, but he can make any of his listed tarps from it.

Bucky Katt
09-01-2009, 14:23
hmmmm tooo many decisions!

gargoyle
09-01-2009, 14:56
Bucky, I'll make it easy for ya, just buy all of them.:lol:
Welcome the world of hammocks, it gets worse from here.;)

YardDog
09-01-2009, 14:57

Thanks!

I have an Etowah 10X12 silnylon tarp that I bought directly from Etowah. If you haven't found it already, check out Etowah's web site at www.etowahoutfitters.com. I've been happy with mine and would recommend Etowah.

As a side note, Paul (the owner) is involved in Scouting and gives Scouts a nice discount off the MSRP of his gear. You can use the "Contact Us" link on the web site to communicate with him.