PDA

View Full Version : weird ridge in my WBBB

KarenEcho
01-10-2015, 12:08
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on this. The 'topography' of a hammock changes as I change sleeping positions, which is kinda how hammocks operate. However, I'm getting a fairly pronounced ridge in the middle of my BB from the peak of the foot end to about my knees. It seems to be present no matter what position I'm in and appears about an hour into a hang. Any suggestions on what's causing it? It can be a bit problematic, not from a comfort standpoint as I can sleep comfortably on either side of it when it appears, but it creates a cold spot as the UQ doesn't conform to it. Is it something in how I'm hanging and laying or do you think it's in how the ends were gathered when it was made?

mattyg
01-10-2015, 12:32
search the forum for calf ridge then dive into the madness

MAD777
01-10-2015, 12:42
Two things to try. One, raise the foot end about 6" above the head end of the hammock. Two, move your derriere around to a new position.

Chriss
01-10-2015, 14:03
You say this happens 1-hour into your hang. There seems to be another factor here. Are you suspended the WBBB straps from another type of tree hugger or suspension? Eno straps maybe? If so that could be your problem. In sounds like your "hang" is changing somehow after you settle in.

KarenEcho
01-10-2015, 16:01
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing and it could be the suspension straps. I found the other threads on the 'WBBB ridge issue" and am finding them helpful.

Nodust
01-10-2015, 18:43
Can't stress feet higher than head enough. It made all the difference for me.

OneClick
01-10-2015, 18:56
After 3 years it sometimes comes out of nowhere for no reason. I think there's a [what's the opposite of a sweet spot?], let's call it "sour spot" during setup. I'm convinced this specific zone of mismatched hang angles and tree distances really causes it. I have no idea what it is, though. 9/10 times I hang it and don't really notice it.

As mentioned, I really exaggerate the foot end higher, and like to hang it a little looser than recommended in the Warbonnet video.

Shug
01-10-2015, 21:26
I will happen from time to time. Hang angle, lay, end heights seem to come into play. I look at it like my tent days...sometimes I was flat and soft...sometimes on rocks and on a pictch. But in the end I was still in the woods camping.
Shug

The Tree Frog
01-10-2015, 21:41
When all else fails, put a coat under your legs to comfort your knees from hyperextension and calf ridge. Or lay with one leg straight, and the problem leg side leg bent with foot on inside of opposit knee.

Does that make sense?

got hammocks?
01-11-2015, 09:15
When all else fails, put a coat under your legs to comfort your knees from hyperextension and calf ridge. Or lay with one leg straight, and the problem leg side leg bent with foot on inside of opposit knee.

Does that make sense? Yeah, putting something under my knees increases the comfort level dramatically! Also prevents pain from the legs being completely extended.

Jayson
01-11-2015, 13:32
Need to repeat foot end higher then head. For me it close to 8" higher. And i like my ridgeline pretty tight also.

BillyBob58
01-11-2015, 15:53
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on this. The 'topography' of a hammock changes as I change sleeping positions, which is kinda how hammocks operate. However, I'm getting a fairly pronounced ridge in the middle of my BB from the peak of the foot end to about my knees. It seems to be present no matter what position I'm in and appears about an hour into a hang. Any suggestions on what's causing it? It can be a bit problematic, not from a comfort standpoint as I can sleep comfortably on either side of it when it appears, but it creates a cold spot as the UQ doesn't conform to it. Is it something in how I'm hanging and laying or do you think it's in how the ends were gathered when it was made?

After 3 years it sometimes comes out of nowhere for no reason. I think there's a [what's the opposite of a sweet spot?], let's call it "sour spot" during setup. I'm convinced this specific zone of mismatched hang angles and tree distances really causes it. I have no idea what it is, though. 9/10 times I hang it and don't really notice it.

As mentioned, I really exaggerate the foot end higher, and like to hang it a little looser than recommended in the Warbonnet video.

I will happen from time to time. Hang angle, lay, end heights seem to come into play. I look at it like my tent days...sometimes I was flat and soft...sometimes on rocks and on a pictch. But in the end I was still in the woods camping.
Shug

It can even harass Shug! All of the above is why I lean more and more towards bridge hammocks as the years roll by.

Karen, you are extremely lucky it has not caused you discomfort other than a cold spot. The usual complaint is calf pain from this ridge in various gathered end hammocks when sleeping on the diagonal. I have a hammock where I never get it (calf pain) or if I do it is minor enough that I can ignore it. But even with this hammock, with my beloved combo Speer PeaPod/Claytor No Net. two differnt times I have had a blissful week of comfort and warmth in the high Rockies in the Fall, until the mysterious last night. The all of a sudden, not so much calf pain(had plenty of that with other hammocks though) but just left leg weirdness. My left leg elevated like it was on a shelf. Never quite got it fixed despite many adjustments first time, 2nd time finally got it fixed by hanging the foot end ridiculously high. I can assure you both of these nights all I kept thinking was: why didn't I bring my JRB BMBH/MW UQ combo like I started to?

I have never experienced any sort of leg weirdness or pain with a bridge hammock, plus the shoulder issues simply don't bother my some what large self, and I find them so much easier to insulate with either quilts or pads, so...........

But, I don't like spreader bar weight and hassle and tarp issues which must be dealt with, and I love a Claytor PeaPod combo in the winter(except for the occasional leg issues), so............. SIGH!

MississipVol
01-11-2015, 16:18

Does that make sense?

This is usually how I deal with it, kinda like a "figure four". This is how I often sleep in the bed also so its no big deal.

bindibadgi
01-11-2015, 16:39
This is usually how I deal with it, kinda like a "figure four". This is how I often sleep in the bed also so its no big deal.

Yep. I call it the Jethro Tull. :) Works for me if I ever get the calf ridge, but I rarely do since I hang the foot end higher like others have said.

Phantom Grappler
01-12-2015, 07:24
KarenEcho
What is length of your hammock? If it's not 11feet, get a hammock that is 11 feet. Or with the hammock you have shorten hammock ridge line an inch or two inches. I'm just guessing, good luck.

KarenEcho
01-13-2015, 15:06
I also contacted Warbonnet guy and he stated it was likely caused by my laying too close to the foot end. Doing that doesn't allow the fabric to fan out like it should. So.....looks like I need to adjust my hang so that I'm closer to the head end. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

hanggirl
01-15-2015, 23:18
I started with a short walmart hammock and used clothing under my knees to help with the calf ridge problem. It also helped eliminate hyper-extension of my knees.

cougarmeat
01-22-2015, 19:49
I'd carry a camp pillow but because the hammock supported my head, I'd just put it under my knee or knees. It changed the feel a bit - not better or worse, just a variety.