PDA

View Full Version : Stupic Noob question ...

JCinPA
01-14-2015, 21:04
Well, got my Grand Trunk Double Hammock today and had to play with it. :laugh:

Stupid question. What's the best way to get it back in the stuff sack? I have watched dozens of videos of guys showing their cool setups and how they can get their tarp up in the rain and the hammock under it all dry, in minues.

But nobody ever ever finishes their video putting the stuff back in the sacks. They all leave you sitting on their hammock with a huge grin. I know there is a video for the best way to put a hammock back in the sack, can you point me to one?

You better believe when I take the tarp out, I will have a whole series of cell phone photos and notes on how it was packed. I'm not doing this again! :eek:

flatline
01-14-2015, 21:17
try this one. same principal applies to tarps, quilts or what ever you may need to stuff into a sack.

http://youtu.be/ZXOHExX4LPA

JCinPA
01-14-2015, 21:31
Cool, thanks! Not twisting the bag is probably where I went wrong.

hanggirl
01-15-2015, 22:42
I appreciate this information. I'll try it tomorrow on some new equipment that just came today.

Algonquin_bound
01-16-2015, 13:05
I just stuff it! No real technique, just jam it. Start at one end and keep going till its done. Do the same for my tarp, and sleeping bag. If its too difficult to fit in, then I use a larger stuff sac.

When I'm in the bush, I don't want to have to fold my tarp as if i'm practicing my origami skills. Just jam it, and go. That's my preference anyway!

Raos
01-16-2015, 13:41
It's called a stuff sack for a reason.

Paul-Stefi
01-16-2015, 15:25
I just stuff it! No real technique, just jam it. Start at one end and keep going till its done. Do the same for my tarp, and sleeping bag. If its too difficult to fit in, then I use a larger stuff sac.

When I'm in the bush, I don't want to have to fold my tarp as if i'm practicing my origami skills. Just jam it, and go. That's my preference anyway!

Agree totally, i find it works better to just stuff, when you try and fold perfectly you often cant fit it into the bag right and have to start over.

-Paul

Deathstar77
01-16-2015, 15:32
Stuff Sack: from the Greek Stuffius Sackus n. A nylon sack for stuffing things in.

wildwillott
01-16-2015, 17:27

+1 on this. The only difference would be if you use snake skins, instead of stuff sacks. Of which I believe shug's hammock noon videos goes over this very well.

biggy
01-16-2015, 18:03
+1 on this. The only difference would be if you use snake skins, instead of stuff sacks. Of which I believe shug's hammock noon videos goes over this very well.

I use snakeskins on my superfly and Im able to jam it into my original stuff sac with no problems.

cougarmeat
01-16-2015, 20:54
A hint I was given on a boa constrictor of a sleeping bag was to turn it inside out. The idea was that the outer shell was a little tighter for water resistance. So turning it inside out would allow the air the squish out easier. Note that this was a -40 degree bag so there was a lot of loft to compress. For a hammock, my guess is you will eventually move to a double ended bag. Then you can attach one end and put the other end of of the bag to the other tree. Note that the double ended bag stays on the hammock so it doesn't blow away like a stuff sack can. I'd like to try snake skins on my tarp but so far it tends to bunch up too much and I end up with too much bulk in the middle. I'm sure I need to "prep" the tarp first with a few folds over the ridge line. Then I can squeeze down the length as I pull the skins on.

It sounds like some people are putting their tarp in skins, then putting the skins in a stuff sack. Isn't that double jeopardy or something?

IRONFISH45
01-16-2015, 21:07
Oh, great thread, I am having a great laugh.:laugh:

What I have found.

- Stuffing is great for some things. Trial and error.

- Rolling or Folding sometimes makes a smaller neater package.

- When you pack your gear you want it to come out easily when you next set up camp, I hate stuff to come out in a pile, I put it away carefully if I am going to use it the next night. If I am going home I am not so picky because it will come out to be cleaned and to be sure it is dry.:laugh:

-It is a CONSPIRACY against those of us who want to put our gear back just the way it was from the mfg. Against those with OCD probably fall into that group. When I was growing up being neat and tidy and all gear neat and tidy was in, no more, stuff it together and go.

-A engineer somewhere along the mfg. process spent time figuring out just how to fold things to get them into a container. Most of us do not have the skill or interest in getting something back into a tiny container.

Personally I take it as a challenge (most of the time, I do own a lazy slug, that I put everything into when it is raining). I read a thread on putting the HH Supper Shelter back into its original packaging. Well a couple of our members figured it out. I spent a lot of time getting my SS back in the HH packaging. Really too much work, easier to stuff it into a larger container and a lot easier on the gear.

JCinPA
01-16-2015, 21:25
Hahaha. I may have a little of that there OCD. ;)