PDA

View Full Version : BlackCat numero dos

gstepclassical
04-27-2007, 14:23
Here is the second and maybe last one unless my son wants one.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=807&c=4

I had them both up in a pretty good thunderstorm with some pretty high gusts and no problems. The second was not seam sealed yet and it is required in case anyone ever wondered.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=808&c=4

Thanks again to all those who got me going along this path.

headchange4u
04-27-2007, 14:36
Wow. The BlackCat dominates! Nice job. Looks great.

FanaticFringer
04-27-2007, 15:10
I have only one thing to say. SWEET!!!!!!

lvleph
04-27-2007, 15:42
I hope you cut them at the same time.

stoikurt
04-27-2007, 15:48
Very nice.

gstepclassical
Thanks. As far as cutting them at the same time, I didn't. The plywood template made it so easy that it really didn't matter though.

stoikurt
Very nice job.

Coffee
04-27-2007, 16:18
Nice tarp. When I get around to making another I was thinking black. But with all the others out there I might confuse someone else's setup for mine.

stoikurt
04-27-2007, 16:22
My next will be a lighter color. If you're lying or sitting under a black tarp with full sun on it, it can be hot underneath.
I'llbe spending a week at Scout summer camp in June in North Florida. I may use 2 tarps overhead to cut the radiant heat.

Coffee
04-27-2007, 16:25
My next will be a lighter color. If you're lying or sitting under a black tarp with full sun on it, it can be hot underneath.
I'llbe spending a week at Scout summer camp in June in North Florida. I may use 2 tarps overhead to cut the radiant heat.

I really like my white one. Not the most stealthy out there, but not too bad. My next one will be for those times where I want to be more stealthy.

headchange4u
04-27-2007, 16:43
Has anyone had a chance to use a BC tarp in the sun on a warm day? Do they make thing hot?

blackbishop351
04-27-2007, 16:48
I've had mine out in my driveway a few times since it's gotten warmer...not a whole lot of direct sun, but enough that I think I could tell if the color was going to be a problem - and it's not. I actually felt cooler under my tarp than outside it. I have my theories on why this works, but I'm sure someone else would just argue with me :p

Coffee
04-27-2007, 17:01
Maybe it is just the shade factor. It might be cooler up to a certain temp then without a tarp and warmer above that.

seuss
04-27-2007, 17:48
Has anyone had a chance to use a BC tarp in the sun on a warm day? Do they make thing hot?

I almost always end up stringing my tarp in the shade of a tree or two. Nature of the beast, and all that.

lvleph
04-27-2007, 18:23
I had a navy blue tarp in 100F temps and it was much hotter under the tarp. So much so I couldn't stay under it.

NCPatrick
04-27-2007, 19:52
So just make a white cat for summer and use your black cat any other time...

slowhike
04-27-2007, 21:21
it would be interesting to hang two tarps, identical except for the color (one black & one white or very light) in direct sunlight, side by side, & record temps inside the ridge line area over a few hours time.
would be even better if they were in full shade either at the beginning or the end of the experiment to see how much difference there would be in the temps w/o direct sunlight.

blackbishop351
04-27-2007, 22:32
That would be an interesting test...

I guess my take is that in the summer, I'm always about to expire from the heat anyway - so I'm going to elevate one side and pitch with the wind, regardless of what tarp I'm using. With those steps, I don't think tarp color would matter much even if it was a hindrance. Which I'm not sure it is, given my recent (albeit short) tests.

slowhike
04-28-2007, 08:15

I guess my take is that in the summer, I'm always about to expire from the heat anyway - so I'm going to elevate one side and pitch with the wind, regardless of what tarp I'm using. With those steps, I don't think tarp color would matter much even if it was a hindrance. Which I'm not sure it is, given my recent (albeit short) tests.

yeah, same hear. when it's hot, i hang the tarp high & raise the sides high... almost a flat roof. i can lower one corner on each side slightly & rain can still run off, but i get the best ventilation that way. and the best view too!
but the test would still be interesting... just for argument's sake & documentation. ...tim

lvleph
04-28-2007, 11:28
So just make a white cat for summer and use your black cat any other time...

It gets 100F in March. The only time I could use it would be December and January.

In the desert that won't work. The air around you is hot too. It is better to have a color that will just reflect the sun.

blackbishop351
04-28-2007, 11:44
In the desert that won't work. The air around you is hot too. It is better to have a color that will just reflect the sun.

You got a lot of desert up there in Richmond? :p

headchange4u
04-28-2007, 15:51
You don't really believe that anybody here is argumentative do you ??

Argue? No Way. Debate? Oh yeah!:p :D ;)

stoikurt
04-28-2007, 17:01
I had my BC tarp up last weekend in the backyard in full sun. I could definately tell there was a lot of heat radiating down under the tarp.

lvleph
04-29-2007, 06:26
You got a lot of desert up there in Richmond? :p
I use to live in Nevada for about 10 yrs.

spchtr
05-21-2007, 04:54
I saw somewhere a material that was ripstop nylon, I don't remember if it was coated or not, but it was white/silver on one side, and black on the other side. the black would be used as the lower side, with the white/silver on the upper durring the summer. The idea behind this was to reflect the sun's radiant heat while blocking the light from comming through the tarp, leaving you with a darker shadow.

I don't remember where it was that I saw this material.

slowhike
05-21-2007, 20:03
I saw somewhere a material that was ripstop nylon, I don't remember if it was coated or not, but it was white/silver on one side, and black on the other side. the black would be used as the lower side, with the white/silver on the upper durring the summer. The idea behind this was to reflect the sun's radiant heat while blocking the light from comming through the tarp, leaving you with a darker shadow.

I don't remember where it was that I saw this material.

sounds like an interesting concept as long as it can be done w/o increasing the weight.

spchtr
06-10-2007, 22:31
Here it is.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#1.3%20oz%20Reflective

A bit on the pricey side though.

slowhike
06-11-2007, 05:23
Here it is.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#1.3%20oz%20Reflective

A bit on the pricey side though.

yeah it is kinda high, but who knows, could be worth it in hot weather.