PDA

View Full Version : Good first set-up?

thrasher2
01-22-2015, 08:28
I was thinking about getting a Claytor jungle hammock with fly for my first hammock I'm 6'2" at around 240lbs I was wondering if this was a good first set up to see if I like hanging or if I should try something else my budget is around 150.00 at most I can go to 200.00

Fancy Ramen
01-22-2015, 08:32
Maybe a BIAS or if you are really going to be on a budget, look for one of the yukon outfitter setups with built-in bugnet. Those can be found for around $35 and you can use the rest of the money on all of the other accessories to personalize it.

2ply
01-22-2015, 08:53
At 6'2" you're going to want an 11' hammock to be comfortable. BIAS, Dutch and other vendors offer them at a great price. This time of year you can get away without a bug net so your cost would be less as you figure out what works for you.

robaperez
01-22-2015, 09:02
I have a BIAS Hiker Lite DL and I love it. I'm 6'2" as well though about 150lbs and it fits me well. Every time I get into a smaller hammock, like a friend's ENO Doublenest or the Yukon Mosquito hamock mentioned above, I feel kinda claustrophobic. The guy at BIAS (Butt in a Sling) is really nice and will deal well with any issues he may have. Full disclosure: There were some problems BIAS had over the summer with their customer service, one half of the business left, but Shane seems to have recovered.

TL;DR I am about your size and love my BIAS Hiker Lite DL.

Big_Country
01-22-2015, 09:09
+1 on the 11' length. You may want to consider a DL as well. Shop around the different vendors, and you should be able to find a nice entry level DL for relatively inexpensive.

Cheers

thrasher2
01-22-2015, 09:40
Thanks for the info guys I think a bug net is a must I live in fl so Mosquitos are always around it seems like. I think I will be looking for a DL because I will be using a pad and I hear it helps.

FLRider
01-22-2015, 10:19
Thanks for the info guys I think a bug net is a must I live in fl so Mosquitos are always around it seems like. I think I will be looking for a DL because I will be using a pad and I hear it helps.

I definitely second (third? fourth? whatever...) the 11' length hammocks for comfort. That being said, I would definitely invest in a bug net here (the various Fronkey style nets offered by Dutch, ButtInASling, and others are probably the most foolproof and lightest detachable nets for our climate and...mmm...impressive arthropod population), but would avoid the use of a pad.

It's so very humid here that using a pad is a recipe for sweaty nights even when the temperatures dip. I'd definitely recommend saving for an underquilt (a no-sew poncho liner underquilt will run you $30-$40, weigh ~24 oz, and not require any more skill than the use of an hot needle to punch a couple of holes, while getting you by down into the 40s in the interim), as it will be the largest contributor to comfort in cooler temperatures (all two months of 'em here) in an hammock.

Note that you still might want a double layer, given your stature and weight. Take a look at Papa Smurf's comfort chart (http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html); it'll give you a good idea about fabric weights and layers versus your weight.

A good tarp will also go a long way towards comfort here; given our propensity for mid-afternoon deluges in the spring/summer/fall and the occasional bit of Seattle weather that comes through in the winter, most folks find that a good tarp is essential. However, a blue poly tarp will get you by just fine until you can afford something lighter and less bulky. Also note that this is coming from someone with a tiny asym tarp; the most common comment that I get on it is, "How did you stay dry last night?!" But I can't do anything but lie in the hammock; my tarp isn't big enough to cook or sit under during rainstorms.

Let's talk about what you intend on doing with it, as that's going to inform a lot of your gear choices. If you just intend upon car camping, bulk and weight are a tertiary concern: comfort and cost should be your guiding lights. If you intend upon mild hiking (or biking or kayaking or other muscle-powered movement) over short distances, weight and bulk matter but not an whole heckofalot unless you've got a debilitating medical condition: measure your weight and bulk but don't let them get in the way of comfort. If you intend upon very long days on trail, weight, bulk, and ease of use (which is often overlooked; efficiency means fewer minutes wasted when you could be hiking) become paramount: cost and comfort in camp should be secondary and/or tertiary concerns.

Gear is a sliding scale between cost/weight (bulk)/comfort (features). As you increase the need for one, the other two go down in priority. So take some time and think about what you want to do with your rig: it's going to help immensely down the road.

Hope it helps!

SilvrSurfr
01-22-2015, 15:14
The Jungle Hammock with rain fly looks like a pretty good deal. However, I think the best way to start is with a simple, gathered-end hammock. I have Dutch's PolyD 1.4 hammock and love it - it's a real bargain at $35, as is the Fronkey-style Bugnet ($45) or the BIAS NanoBuginator ($64.95). Add a tarp like the Warbonnet Edge ($85) and you're good to go. You'll need a hammock suspension - Dutch will sell you a Whoopie Hook suspension with straps for $39.

Dutch PolyD hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension $74
Dutch Fronkey bugnet $45
Warbonnet Edge - $85
Total $204

The Kelty 12 is an affordable tarp you can usually snag for $70 on Amazon, or you can also get the Hennessy Hex for about the same price. However, both are pretty heavy compared to the Edge.

Once you've dipped your beak with hammocks at their simplest, you can advance to hammocks with more bells and whistles.

okhike
01-22-2015, 16:12
I agree with SilvrSurfr. I was thinking about starting with a Warbonnet XLC, but that was $200 before even buying a tarp.

I went with the Dutch NylonD, added whoppie hook suspension option from Dutch as well, and the Dutch fronkey bugnet.mthese three things were $130, so I had some money left to look for a good tarp (like the WB edge)

WaffleBox
01-22-2015, 17:53
Once you've dipper your beak with hammocks at their simplest, you can advance to the

The suspense is killing me.

SilvrSurfr
01-22-2015, 17:59
The suspense is killing me.

That's funny. Talk about an incomplete thought!

thrasher2
01-22-2015, 18:43
Well you guys have given me a lot to think about now. I'm planing on kayaking and hiking. Im amazed at all the helpful advice on here and think all of you for it

thrasher2
01-23-2015, 21:16
Ok guys I've decided to go with the Dutch nylon d 11ft hammock with the funkey bug net, and a Walmart blue tarp I'm going to get whoopie sling suspension from Dutch as well. Any tips on the tarp size I was thinking 12x10 or so. Any thoughts or problems seen with this set up?

Shug
01-23-2015, 21:22
Here is a looky-see at some hammocks for thought........
Carry forth and enjoy the hammock quest.
Shug

http://youtu.be/3Grh7SXUIJU

http://youtu.be/pv7EWHue7pY

Monkeyboy42
01-23-2015, 21:26
10x12 is a good starter size with nice coverage. Be careful with the grommets. I've ripped them out pitching before. If you can swing a little bit more the Kelty Noah 12 is $70 and a great starter tarp. It's a bit heavy, but still lighter than a blue tarp, and it's much more durable.

FLRider
01-24-2015, 06:34
Ok guys I've decided to go with the Dutch nylon d 11ft hammock with the funkey bug net, and a Walmart blue tarp I'm going to get whoopie sling suspension from Dutch as well. Any tips on the tarp size I was thinking 12x10 or so. Any thoughts or problems seen with this set up?

No significant issues, aside from the insulation ones (see my post above for options for underquilts, and the reason that I recommend them). I'd definitely use the penny larkshead method for my tie-outs with a blue tarp, though; the grommets are frequently the point of failure on those. To do that, push a pebble (or other, small, non-sharp object) into the tarp at the spot where you want a tie out. Then gather the tarp material behind the pebble and tie your guyline to it.

Hope it helps!

Bigfoot86
01-27-2015, 15:35
Hey im also new to this and i just got a but in a sling hammock hiker lite and i love it, it is dl and very very comfy

brohawk
02-04-2015, 21:20
Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, whoopies, Dutch hooks, HG underquilt.