PDA

View Full Version : Determining lay position?

Tuhlmann
01-23-2015, 09:08
Newb question....

I'm considering a WBBB, but I'm concerned about being committed to a specific lay, like head left/feet right or vise versa. I'm guessing a hammock w/o the footbox will allow either lay. I'm also guessing a fella tends to prefer one way over the other. So how do you know which way and what are the pros/cons of one direction over the other?

WaffleBox
01-23-2015, 09:34
I don't think there are pros or cons to either kind of lay. The only way I know to figure out which you prefer is to get in a hammock and try both.

Dochartaigh
01-23-2015, 09:34
There's no real way to easily tell with hammocks like those. Perhaps if you started off with a regular gathered end hammock you could see which way you like best (they don't have a designated lay), but if we're talking about netted hammocks with footboxes, the only real way to tell is to buy one of each (head left/feet right, and another head right/feet left lay), and see which you prefer during real world use.

If you're a side sleeper, and I'm talking for myself here, but I more commonly like to lay on my right side with my arms out in front of me. That's easier done in a "traditional" head left/feet right hammock since their's more room to the right of your body...I have wanted to try the opposite lay though, but didn't want to drop $150+ on a netted hammock like that since people might not want to buy the opposite-lay variety if it turns out I didn't like it.

cjayflo
01-23-2015, 09:43
I am a rt side sleeper at home but in a hammock I can snore/sleep on my back or rt side. Unlike dochartaigh I like a feet left/head rt. Look for a cheaper gathered end hammock and get in as much hang time as possible to find out what you like the most. I don't like the WBBB due to the forced lay and the wall of fabric blocking the view.

Tuhlmann
01-23-2015, 09:50
I tend to favor my right side/knee-up stomach at home. So guys with a footbox don't feel limited at all?

(Just saw your post cjayflo)

I'm also considering a Claytor or Clark, too. The "all in one" package appeals to me, but comfort will be king.

FireInMyBones
01-23-2015, 09:55
There's no doubt about it that this can be a hard one to figure out without trying both for yourself. If it is possible to go to a group hang nearby, that might be a chance for you to try both.
Sometimes it also has to do with the way the zipper is made (if using an integrated bugnet like the WBBB). I prefer having the zipper on my right side and laying head left feet right so that all I have to do is sit in the hammock and lean back into position. This means less work for me when I'm tired.

Oms
01-23-2015, 11:08
I lay on my right side and feel more comfortable in a left side foot box. It gives my knees more room when bent or curled up. Costs more money with the WB but not with the Dream Hammock. Can be ordered either way.

OutandBack
01-23-2015, 11:30
Newb question....

I'm considering a WBBB, but I'm concerned about being committed to a specific lay, like head left/feet right or vise versa. I'm guessing a hammock w/o the footbox will allow either lay. I'm also guessing a fella tends to prefer one way over the other. So how do you know which way and what are the pros/cons of one direction over the other?

Any hammock with a sewn on bug net is going to be a left or right lay with the exception being the Tree to Tree Trail Gear's Switchback hammock there is no left or right head or footend.

If you are unsure which you would prefer you could buy a netless hammock and add a seperate bugnet.
Most of the vendors that post on this forum sell a netless hammock and seperate bug net or if you are a little handy with needle and thread you can DIY these check the DIY forum for simple instructions.
hth

Countrybois
01-23-2015, 14:01
Jared's over at Simply Light Designs are ambidextrous as well.

Nodust
01-23-2015, 14:06
In my full time hammock I sleep head right/feet left. But when camping just the opposite.

That's just how I roll.

SnrMoment
01-23-2015, 15:19
I found that I hate zippers and really don't like tie-outs off my hammock, which eliminates foot boxes and shelves. I will also switch the direction of my lay during the night at least once or twice.
Knotty Mods are your friends.

ps22285
01-23-2015, 22:02
You are going to have to figure this out by trial and much error my friend. I have never slept on my back before.....until the hammock. On my back right to left I snore up a storm and dont move all night. As othets have said buy a cheap simple hammock and experiment. Get out there and have fun!

Singingcrowsings
01-25-2015, 19:44
Yeah that one of the many reasons I got my freebird... I was free to lay any way I wanted, and I had no idea which way that was. I'm glad I did, because I found out I like to lay head right / feet left.

Do you know anyone with a hammock? Even one you wouldn't camp in? If so, just making to the motion to lay down will give you your answer; your initial instinct as to which way to lay will probably be the way you like it.

Wanderlost
01-25-2015, 20:10
In my full time hammock I sleep head right/feet left. But when camping just the opposite.

That's just how I roll.

I tend to be in the same boat. At home, my zen spot on my left side with knees slightly bent. When I get in the hammock though, I tend to do the exact oppsite and lay head left/feet right. Coincidentally, I actually tried to the other way for a nap this afternoon and determined that it really bugs me. It all goes back to HYOH.

SilvrSurfr
01-26-2015, 11:59
I found that I hate zippers and really don't like tie-outs off my hammock, which eliminates foot boxes and shelves.

Another zipper and hammock tie-out hater here. I just don't like integrated bugnets that make you lay a certain way. While I always sleep head right/feet left, what if I want to loan a hammock to a noobie who doesn't even know what they like?

Simple, gathered-end hammocks are so cheap these days - for less than $35 you can get on of Dutch's Argon, PolyD or NylonD hammocks, or a BIAS Hiker Lite. Then you can figure out what you like before buying something you don't like.

ADKrella
01-26-2015, 12:17
This is exactly why I went with a WL Snipe as my first.
Simple hammock that could be turned inside out to try either way.
That said... I was convinced I would be head left.... but actually Im more comfortable with my head right.
At the time Dutch didn't have any of his hammocks which are basically the same thing sans knotty mod.

brohawk
02-04-2015, 21:22
I just sold my Blackbird XLC for that exact reason. Actually found I like the freedom to switch back and forth at will.

hangNyak
02-04-2015, 22:37
I will take it a step farther. I'm a head right feet left guy and I want to exit left. The main reason I never wanted a Blackbird. You can get it in a head right feet left configuration, but will not be able to exit left, due to that silly shelf. That's why I diy my hammocks. They can be made any way Ron wants them. :cool: Oh, and I on the other hand love zippered nets!

Jaxx
02-05-2015, 14:37
The WBBB can be slept in with your feet opposite of the foot box. I do it all the time. I have never experienced any troubles other than the shelf getting in my face at times if I have it full of stuff. Otherwise I sleep like a baby. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Shug has mentioned in the past he sleeps or has slept with his feet opposite the foot box .