PDA

View Full Version : ENO unveils "lightest hammock on the market"

Mr. Jowee
01-25-2015, 15:43
http://gearjunkie.com/best-in-show-outdoor-retailer-2015?pg=9

At 6.5oz, the ENO Sub7 Hammock certainly is light. It's also tiny. REI lists the specs at 105" x 47". At well under 9' long, I don't see anyone getting a flat lay in this thing. It's too bad, really. ENO has massive market saturation. I can foresee plenty of people buying this and giving up on hammocks all together because they just don't fit in it. Then again, it would be perfect for someone shorter.

Pre-order available at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/882672/eno-sub7-hammock

peterhase
01-25-2015, 15:48
Wow, that's impressive. Might have to get one myself for those warmer summer hangs...

DuctTape
01-25-2015, 15:51
I like the shorter hammocks. Definitely going to try this out.

lilricky
01-25-2015, 16:24
I pointed this out on ENO's page for the Sub7. Just using my modest math skills, you would have to be under 5'3" to achieve a 20 degree flay lay on this thing. I then suggested they look into lighter weight fabrics like Argon or PolyD. Although thinking in hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't give them too many ideas as they aren't one of our cottage industries....
EDIT: Just took out the Argon/PolyD suggestion from my post over there: https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/blog/download/sub7-hammock/

At 6.5oz, the ENO Sub7 Hammock certainly is light. It's also tiny. REI lists the specs at 105" x 47". At well under 9' long, I don't see anyone getting a flat lay in this thing. It's too bad, really. ENO has massive market saturation. I can foresee plenty of people buying this and giving up on hammocks all together because they just don't fit in it. Then again, it would be perfect for someone shorter.

FLRider
01-26-2015, 10:59
Eh.

For me, at least, this is down into "stupid light", as Mr. Skurka calls it. The weight savings (6.5 oz versus 8 oz for an 11', 58"" wide post-hem 1.0 HyperD hammock) of 1.5 oz over the lightest weight 11'er for me (at ~195 lbs) isn't worth the lost recuperation versus the longer hammock. And I'm probably in their target demographic for this: I cut weight pretty much everywhere I can in order to be able to crank out looooong days on trail. Thing is, good sleep goes a very long way in ensuring that I can crank out those long days...the recuperation keeps me from bonking on the third or fourth day of high-end exertion.

YMMV, of course.

BillyBob58
01-26-2015, 15:04
I like the shorter hammocks. Definitely going to try this out.

I might also have to try it just to see how the comfort is, for one reason: it would probably be the perfect hammock for a PeaPod. I know that will seem a ridiculous gamble to many considering my 6'1" height. But I have had some counter-intuitive results with various hammocks over the years, so you never know. This is 8.75 ft long. I still rate my Speer 8.5 as one of my more comfy hammocks overall. (I have never measured, but it might be actually a 9 foot hammock) True, I need something under my knees to avoid knee extension, as I still do with some longer hammocks. And I can not lay on my side with legs straight, to much waist discomfort. But with something under my knees I am just as comfy flat on my back as any other hammock, ans also very comfy in fetal, and NO evil calf ridge! And I have none of those problems in my Claytor No Net(10 ft), and I used to be mighty comfy with some of the same problems as the Speer, in my HH UL Explorer, but it is a little longer at almost 10.5 ft. Anyway, I am tempted to give it a try as a potentially excellent with a PeaPod design.

doctor patches
01-30-2015, 19:28
I hang in a GT Nano7 now, and i've removed the stock biners and attached stuff sack, but the dimensions of the smaller hammock are really restricting when i'm hanging. I'm thinking i might go with a larger hammock and switch to lighter gear elsewhere to offset the difference.

That being said, i'm not familiar with many others who hang in a GT Nano7, so the only thing i see ENO having on their side is market saturation and the "lay" camper from REI (no offense, i love REI). I'd much rather see a "traditional" sized gathered end hammock that is as light as possible, resizing the hammock in the name of weight savings isn't very logical. However, offering a hammock model in various sizes (customization/options are a big benefit in my eyes) would be an awesome approach for the market. We'll see how this all plays out.

fallkniven
01-30-2015, 23:14
The Grand Trunk Nano is 5oz and $10 cheaper and has been out for a long time....

SilvrSurfr
01-30-2015, 23:26
The Grand Trunk Nano is 5oz and $10 cheaper and has been out for a long time....

You talking about the GT Nano 7? It's 8.2 oz. according to their website:

https://grandtrunk.wpengine.com/shop/nano-7-hammock/

fallkniven
02-01-2015, 13:30
You talking about the GT Nano 7? It's 8.2 oz. according to their website:

https://grandtrunk.wpengine.com/shop/nano-7-hammock/

You believe everything you read on the internet? Ha. Actually you type " GT Nano 7" in yahoo and click the first link, you'll see this......

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Grand%20Trunk%20%20Nano%207%20Hammock/Test%20Report%20by%20Derek%20Hansen/

5 oz (142 g) Hammock Only
7 oz (198 g) Hammock + rope
15.7 oz (445 g) Hammock + rope + carabiners + webbing

razorguy
02-03-2015, 15:00
Definitely seems way too short. Even at 5'6" I highly doubt I would be comfortable in this. Might be a nice option for women who are on the short side. Less weight for them to back around at least..

daltontr
06-20-2015, 16:31
The Eno Sub7 is small, but it's not too small. It is actually a wee bit larger than my Hennessy Hyperlite.

I fitted out the Sub7 with a whoopie hook suspension from Dutchware. The Sub7, whoopie slings w/hooks, tree huggers, and Dutch clips...total weight 9 oz.

As I said, I own a Hennessy Hyperlite (bottom entry) with a 2QZQ zipper mod. At 5'8" 170, it has always been my go to hammock for all my backpacking excursions. I've never had an issue with comfort in the Hyperlite, so I can't imagine the transition to the Sub7 will be a big departure from the norm, but only time will tell. I did some afternoon "chilling" in it today, but it really needs a field test to give it a proper review.

alpinepest
06-20-2015, 18:27
I will stick with the BIAS Weight Weenie Micro. It is over 2 feet longer 9 inches wider and 1/2 ounce lighter. http://www.buttinasling.com/wewemi.html

alpinepest
06-20-2015, 18:30
+1
You believe everything you read on the internet? Ha. Actually you type " GT Nano 7" in yahoo and click the first link, you'll see this......

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Grand%20Trunk%20%20Nano%207%20Hammock/Test%20Report%20by%20Derek%20Hansen/

5 oz (142 g) Hammock Only
7 oz (198 g) Hammock + rope
15.7 oz (445 g) Hammock + rope + carabiners + webbing

bwg
06-20-2015, 21:34
Seems to be lots of doubters here about the length being adequate for comfort. I weigh 225 (well 230 this afternoon despite exercising and dieting) and am 5'8". I've been working to get the weight of my hammock down for backpacking. Using nylon d 1.6 fabric. The dimensions of my hammock fabric is 100"x59.5" (8.3' long) with a fixed ridge-line of about 82". I can confirm it is as comfortable as any of my 10' or 11' hammocks with a diagonal lie.

If you are shorter, it is worth experimenting with shorter hammocks. I created a suspension system that would allow me to easily move it along the fabric to test lengths to confirm comfort. The benefit of a shorter hammock are lighter weight, more coverage with conventional tarps or ability to use shorter (and lighter) tarps, less pack volume, and less material.

Since my ridge-line is only 82", I've found that a 10'x8' tarp provides lots of coverage that was not possible with longer hammocks. I can get 1.5' of coverage beyond each hammock end, and have enough tarp fabric to form doors with a rectangular tarp (by adding side guylines loops about 2 to 2.5 feet from each corner).

Before dismissing the comfort of shorter hammocks, give them a try. You may find that a longer 10' or 11' hammock is not needed.

Rolloff
06-20-2015, 21:54
Its a EGH!

Eno Gear Hammock :)

rustyshack11
06-21-2015, 00:36
****, lightweight.

Tarheel Hanger
06-21-2015, 10:03
My buddy got one a couple of weeks ago. He is probably 6'4" or taller. I tried to tell him about the cottage vendors but he still thinks eno is a NC company. (I know they are,but still made in asia). That being said, I tried the hammock & it's just a little more uncomfortable than their other ones. I don't know how he sleeps in it. I'm going to get him to sleep in my dutch to try & convert him.

MattK
06-25-2015, 16:43
I have to agree with pretty much everything bwg said. I picked up the Sub7 a couple months ago primarily because it was light. At the time, I wasn't using it to sleep in for the night, just to hang out in around camp. Since then, I have slept in it a handful of times. Just to be upfront, these were my first experiences with sleeping in a hammock, so I can't really compare it to an 11' beast.

However, I have a 8x10 tarp for ground dwelling, and it works perfect in conjunction with the Sub7. Plenty of coverage on each end, and like bwg said, I can close the whole thing down with doors on each end if I want. I made some dynaglide whoopies, tree straps, and a UCR ASR, and the whole thing comes out right at 8oz.

Personally, I like the material of sub7 way more than the other ENO hammocks (which, as of yet, are the only ones I have tried).

I am in the middle of making my DIY set up, and I plan on making a 9' hammock out of NylonD 1.0 from dutch. I thought about starting out longer, then working my way down to my minimum comfort, but if I already find a 9 footer comfy, why bother?

Thom
06-28-2015, 16:01
I need room to move around in a hammock. I just don't see how this could be comfortable.

CrankyOldGuy
06-29-2015, 10:57
I've been using the Nano 7 for 4 or 5 years, I have larger hammock and I find the Nano more comfortable. I'm 5-10, 175/bs... 175 lbs, 5 oz. if I'm holding the Nano with their niners removed.

AlkaFeltser
07-10-2015, 02:46
Couldn't you use it for gear storage?

Mellob
07-12-2015, 14:29
I have my GT Nano down to 5.3 oz and still have the sack on it with cinch buckles instead of biners. I am 6'2" 250 and I sleep just fine in it. Would I be more comfortable in a larger hammock, yes, but it works for the trail and my summer setup (hammock, suspension, bugnet, tarp, and top quilt) is still under 2#. Works for me, love it.

SGT Rock
07-12-2015, 23:31
I make all my hammocks 108"x48" before hemming. The sweet spot is not as large, but they are not uncomfortable. With a smaller hammock you can use a smaller tarp and carry less weight. Interesting that people that have never tried a small hammock say it cannot be comfortable - sort of like someone that has never tried a type of food saying it cannot taste good.

abatis49
07-13-2015, 10:57
I plan on ordering the ENO Sub7 Hammock today. I have used the excuse I am buying hammocks for my family members, but no one uses them but me. I own two single nest, one double nest, and two jungle nest hammocks. After reading about hammocks made by American vendors, I ordered, with ridge lines, two 10’ and one 11’. I could not get the comfort ENO provides without a ridge line. Maybe it has to do with me being 5’9” and 240 pounds. Anyhow, I have decided hammocks are a lot like HYOH in hiking. Go with what is comfortable for you, but realize it can become an obsession.

MattK
07-15-2015, 08:13
Several people here have compared the sub7 to the GT nano, and rightfully so as they are pretty similar hammocks. I figured for some accurate comparisons, I would post the weight of the sub7 as weighed by me in my basement.

The hammock body alone (as most here would probably use and add their own preffered suspension) is right at 140g. That is 4.9oz, and includes the attached stuff sack.