PDA

View Full Version : Spinnaker/Spinntex Fabric for Tarp

sbmcghee
09-03-2009, 21:22
For all you lightweight tarp makers, have any you tried the lightest weight Spinnaker? Everywhere that I've looked I've only seen people use the .75 oz fabric. However, knowing that Spinnaker is used widely in the sailing community, I came across .5 oz Spinnaker.

I was wondering if any one has tried using this .5 oz material and if so, how well does it hold up?

te-wa
09-03-2009, 21:38
sailmakers weight the fabric in a sailing yard, not a 36" yard - so it "seems" lighter.
also, Ron Bell has info about using .97 and he says its the only stuff that will work. He's tried about every spinnaker weight fabric made and .97 is his choice. (among other tarp makers)

warbonnetguy
09-04-2009, 00:08
not all spinn cloth is waterproof enough or even coated, in fact, most are not.

Sailor
09-05-2009, 00:02
sailmakers weight the fabric in a sailing yard, not a 36" yard - so it "seems" lighter.
also, Ron Bell has info about using .97 and he says its the only stuff that will work. He's tried about every spinnaker weight fabric made and .97 is his choice. (among other tarp makers)

Is that a sailmaker's yard you're talking about, v a sailing yard, which is a horizontal yard on a mast from which a sail is hung?

Sailor

bear bag hanger
09-05-2009, 06:35

So, how long and wide is a "sailing yard"? Thanks,

Dutch
09-05-2009, 08:20
Seems to me we need someone with the inside scoop on sail making. I have no idea, but I would think that they are using fabric that is wider then 60 inches.

pedro
09-05-2009, 08:28
A sailmakers yard = 28.5" wide x 36" long

Ramblinrev
09-05-2009, 08:45
A sailmakers yard = 28.5" wide x 36" long

Compare that a typical nylon fabric measered at 60" wide by 36" long. Huge difference. Even if the fabric is 42/44 inches wide as is most cotton and dressmaking fabric it is still a huge difference.

warbonnetguy
09-05-2009, 12:19
the weight is often given in either sailmaker's yard (28.5x36) or g/m2. the roll width will be a normal 50 something inches in width.

almost all spinn isn't waterproof enough for tarp fabric

pedro
09-05-2009, 12:59
Compare that a typical nylon fabric measered at 60" wide by 36" long. Huge difference. Even if the fabric is 42/44 inches wide as is most cotton and dressmaking fabric it is still a huge difference.

But we're comparing the weight per square yard, not per running yard.

Oh-No
09-05-2009, 13:26
But we're comparing the weight per square yard, not per running yard.

That's correct. So you have to compensate for the difference between a
sailmakers yard and the sq. yard we are used to dealing with.
To make matters more confusing, 0.5 oz or 0.75 oz. etc. sail cloth is usually the weight of the cloth before any treatment, (and from what I've read, most
spinnaker cloth is treated) so the weight per sq. yd. when you and I weigh it, is usually higher than we expected.

Sailor
09-05-2009, 18:10
I don't have any experience making sails, just using them, and I do believe, based simply on raising, dousing, hauling and hauling, that sail materials are stiffer and heavier than silnylon--working sails more so than light air sails, which a spinnaker is, but still pretty heavy duty.

Coldspring
11-24-2009, 10:57
Did anyone ever find out where to get nearly waterproof Spinnaker for a better price than at Thru-Hiker?

Coldspring
11-25-2009, 09:50
Did anyone ever find out where to get nearly waterproof Spinnaker for a better price than at Thru-Hiker?

Bump.

Does anyone know, or is it a secret?

Take-a-knee
11-25-2009, 10:25
Bump.

Does anyone know, or is it a secret?

Thru hiker has some things that can't be bought anywhere else, unless you buy a commercial quantity, like momentum 90 for instance.

jbryan
11-30-2009, 10:53
I recently bought some nylon ripstop from kitebuilder.com. they say the weight is .75oz a sq/yd. Just got done making some things with it and did a bathtub test. I was able to pour a much of water into the sack and it held with no leaks. looks like it was waterproof to me. it was really light weight (didn't weigh it) but it sounds like paper flapping in the wind. this stuff was only $5 a yard in the seconds section. it was not to bad to work with, just have to use a small needle, i used a #9 and very thin thread.

Coldspring
12-01-2009, 10:28
I recently bout some nylon ripstop from kitebuilder.com.

Is this stuff waterproof?

jbryan
12-01-2009, 10:35
I sure think it is. I made the pack cover from Just Jeff's site and was able to carry water in it with no leaks.

KerMegan
12-02-2009, 09:00
I sure think it is. I made the pack cover from Just Jeff's site and was able to carry water in it with no leaks.

Always an excellent project to start with on a new fabric- if nothing else you have a ground sheet, if it proves out, you have a good multi-use piece of gear, and can make lots of other stuff to match!
KM (sewing enthusiast)

Rockdawg69
12-02-2009, 12:08
Has anyone seen Spinnaker in a camo design, preferably, digital camo????

KerMegan
12-02-2009, 21:49
I conjecture that they might only be in the marine camo....?
kinda hard to hide a boat in the woods....
just sayin'.
KM

warbonnetguy
12-02-2009, 22:29
pretty sure the type of spinn folks are using for tarp fabric only comes in light grey. there are only a small handfull of companies using it. you have to buy alot to get a custom color, and i don't think anybody has done that (could be wrong though)

Take-a-knee
12-02-2009, 23:24
Has anyone seen Spinnaker in a camo design, preferably, digital camo????

I have yet to even see silnylon in camo.

sclittlefield
12-03-2009, 09:19
I have yet to even see silnylon in camo.

Like Warbonnetguy said - there are companies that will do special order colors (including some camo) if you order a HUGE amount (3k yards for one color, 5-7k yards for camo). It's a bit out of reach for small businesses - but boy would it sell like hot cakes if anyone got it made up!