PDA

View Full Version : 2QZq mod done

LosUno
09-04-2009, 09:53
Hey folks,

Maybe I can get some advice today. I had the Opt#2 zipper added to my Safari HH and now my Snake Skins will not work.

I can get the skins just about all the way on, then there is a bulge at the center.

It could me my method of skinning, but I cannot figure it out yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,:scared:

angrysparrow
09-04-2009, 09:56
Try rolling the hammock first, starting in the center and working towards one end. Then pull that end's skin on. Then, roll the other side toward the end, and pull the second skin on.

That will spread the hammock fabric out along the length of the skin, rather than compressing it in the middle.

If that doesn't work, you may need a slightly larger set of skins.

Hetairoi
09-04-2009, 10:00
I'm not certain of the size of my skins, but I had the same mod done and have no problems getting the skins on my HH Explorer.

Anything special about your snakeskins? DIY? Any significant difference in the Safari model vs others?

angrysparrow
09-04-2009, 10:06
Any significant difference in the Safari model vs others?

The Safari is longer, and made from heavier material than the Explorer.

HH Comparison chart (http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html).

Ramblinrev
09-04-2009, 10:09
Any significant difference in the Safari model vs others?

The Safari is stinking HUGE. The amount of fabric difference between an Explorer and Safari is mind boggling. (I've had both) I have an Explorer and #4 snake skins. I will end up with a bubble in the middle and I have not had the zipper mods done. I manage to just wad it and make it work. The zipper would add some stiffness to the hammock and I can see it creating a potential problem. I think Angrysparrow had a good suggestion. One that I have been thinking of trying. As long as you don't include the tarp in the skins I think it should work. If you include the tarp then the rolling from one end and pulling in that direction has always served me well.

Does anyone understand the HH scale of size on his snake skins? I know he makes 4 sizes but I have never been able to decipher what the differences are. He does not share that information on the his site that I have been able to find.

Hetairoi
09-04-2009, 10:11
The Safari is longer, and made from heavier material than the Explorer.

HH Comparison chart (http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html).

Ah, I was thinking smaller for some reason. I still don't see any reason why adding the zippers would cause a problem unless the snakeskins were just a perfect fit before. I've not noticed any difference with mine. Then again, I can also leave my top cover on and still have it fit in the snakeskins, so maybe I just have really large skins?

2Questions
09-04-2009, 17:45
Hey folks,

Maybe I can get some advice today. I had the Opt#2 zipper added to my Safari HH and now my Snake Skins will not work.

I can get the skins just about all the way on, then there is a bulge at the center.

It could me my method of skinning, but I cannot figure it out yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,:scared:

Assuming the bugnet is zipped up completely before skinning, the only thing that comes to mind is the head-end zipper connection patch. Be sure the patch is tucked inside the hammock and not stiicking up, that it might catch the skin and prevent it from sliding all the way on. Oherwise our experience shows no difference with the mod.

Maybe everyone does it differently, but I skin this way:
1. Find the entrance slit patch and fold the hammock in half.
2. From the slit patch, roll upwards tucking in the side tie out cords.
3. When you get to the ridge line, hold the rolled hammock against the ridge line with one hand and tighten the roll to the left of center.
4. Pull the snakeskin over the rolled hammock.
5. Tighten the roll right of center and pull the other snakeskin over the rolled hammock.

Hawk-eye
09-04-2009, 17:53
Maybe everyone does it differently, but I skin this way:
1. Find the entrance slit patch and fold the hammock in half.
2. From the slit patch, roll upwards tucking in the side tie out cords.
3. When you get to the ridge line, hold the rolled hammock against the ridge line with one hand and tighten the roll to the left of center.
4. Pull the snakeskin over the rolled hammock.
5. Tighten the roll right of center and pull the other snakeskin over the rolled hammock.

That's the exact way I do mine and it works well ... even more so than when I use to use the HH tarp ... which I don't any more.

2Questions
09-04-2009, 19:23
BTW, Hawkeye, Thanks for the patches and the kind words. I was hoping to get to the October hang but it doesn't look like it will happen. I'm off stomping the woods the first two weekends in November as well and something had to give.

swampfox
09-04-2009, 19:42
I wrap the hammock with the tie-out cords and slide the snakeskin over it. I can't say that I notice any difference with the zipper mod.

Hawk-eye
09-04-2009, 19:42
Glad you like them pal ... sorry you can't go stomping woods with us. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I'm usually not much of a group camper but this sounds like some fun in a place I dearly love.

And not to beat a dead horse ... I love the mod on my hammock ... like getting a new and improved piece of gear. As much as I loved my HH ... it's MUCH better now.

After I get back from over here .. first of October ... I'm looking forward to getting out and field testing that bad boy.

LosUno
09-05-2009, 07:25
That was my problem, the rolling technique. having it rolled makes a big difference, well at least rolled different from what I was doing.

Thanks Folks,:D