PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit for Hennessy's Cub Zip

peterhase
01-27-2015, 04:00
Hey hangers,

Hennessy are sending me a free Cub Zip hammock. My girlfriend is 5'1" and around 55kg (Hennessy rate the Cub to 5'7" and 58kg), so this hammock seems perfect for those times she joins me on the trail. Is it a problem that she's close to the weight limit? Are Hennessy strict with their weight limits or is the hammock actually a little stronger than they say? I just don't want something snapping in the middle of the night if she rolls over or something...

Also, does anyone know if the Cub Zip is asym?

Cheers, Pete.

oldbiker
01-27-2015, 09:37
Any reputable manufacture (with a push from their insurance co) will have a safety factor built in. Exceeding their rating is @ your own risk & keeps them from being liable.

If memory serves me, most times it doesn't, the cub is not listed as a asym hammock but that doesent mean you cannot lie in it that way. I bought one of my grandsons the Scout & it's not classed as asym but he sleeps in it asymmetrical

peterhase
01-27-2015, 10:09
Thanks Oldbiker. That's really good info to have. Definitely gives me a little extra confidence :)
I guess we'll have to wait and see if she can sleep asymmetrically in the Cub. If so, that would be excellent. If not, I'm sure she will adjust fine.
Thanks again.

yooz85
01-27-2015, 19:28
Hey hangers,

Hennessy are sending me a free Cub Zip hammock. My girlfriend is 5'1" and around 55kg (Hennessy rate the Cub to 5'7" and 58kg), so this hammock seems perfect for those times she joins me on the trail. Is it a problem that she's close to the weight limit? Are Hennessy strict with their weight limits or is the hammock actually a little stronger than they say? I just don't want something snapping in the middle of the night if she rolls over or something...

Also, does anyone know if the Cub Zip is asym?

Cheers, Pete.

The Cub is asym, not a bad little hammock.

IRONFISH45
01-27-2015, 20:17
I am 62 inches tall and shrinking, I would not want to sleep in a hammock that short. I have two "Cub" hammocks, I have never considered sleeping in them, I just never got around to finding them a new home. I think I would be insulted if my fellow expected me to sleep in one. I think they are wonderful for kids, however, I want something with a much nicer feel to sleep in
Guess I am just too picky. After all free is free.

peterhase
01-29-2015, 13:09
I am 62 inches tall and shrinking, I would not want to sleep in a hammock that short. I have two "Cub" hammocks, I have never considered sleeping in them, I just never got around to finding them a new home. I think I would be insulted if my fellow expected me to sleep in one. I think they are wonderful for kids, however, I want something with a much nicer feel to sleep in
Guess I am just too picky. After all free is free.

Well, let's be fair... I'm not exactly "expecting" her to sleep in it. I think she'd be more insulted if I didn't at least make an effort to get her involved in my hammocking adventures :) If you're 62 inches tall and you think the Cub hammock is far too small for you, I wonder why Hennessy would suggest a height limit of 67 inches. Have you ever hung in it before?