PDA

View Full Version : Zippers when netless?

ccolclou
01-27-2015, 14:20
Just thinking... if you purchased a hammock with an integrated but removable bug net or overcover, when you remove that top layer, do you find it affects your lay? I feel that having a zipper along the edges of a hammock might mean that the edges would give at a different rate than the fabric and change the feel of the hammock. Does anyone have experience with this - or the opposite, not noticing any digging or pulling at the edges near the feet as a result of the zipper?
Might a netless be more comfortable for that reason?
Just a thought, thanks for your input.

Bubba
01-27-2015, 15:03
The bugnet on my WBBB is not completely removable but when I open it up all the way and tie it back it feels the same to me as when its closed.

pgibson
01-27-2015, 15:05
Same ad Bubba, I can't feel any change with the net closed or open on any of my hammocks that have integrated nets.

ccolclou
01-27-2015, 17:00
But when you unzip the net or cover, it leaves half of the zipper teeth attached to your hammock, correct? Does that sewn on half zipper change the stretch near the edge of the hammock body compared to a hammock body with no zipper attached?

Dutch
01-27-2015, 17:17
There would not be a noticeable difference. The hem is already thick and the real stretch of a hammock is under you.

deerdog
01-27-2015, 17:31
No problem with WBBB XLC. Just tried it not long ago and had a great hang.

FLRider
01-28-2015, 11:36
There would not be a noticeable difference. The hem is already thick and the real stretch of a hammock is under you.

This.

The hems on an hammock don't stretch much, as the primary force on them is mostly lined up with the warp and weft of the threads. The hammock body, though, winds up with stretching force at the bias--which stretches quite a bit more than either warp or weft.

Zippers cause a very slight difference in the hem stretch--so slight that it's not noticeable to an occupant. Well, unless that occupant is the princess from the tale about the pea and the mattresses...